Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #59
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, June 21 1996         Volume 01 : Number 059

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:20:18 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Announcement: Newspaper 

I am invoking R115 to create an Ackanomic Newspaper.  If, or when, a rule
passes regulating newspapers in ackanomic, I will take the proper steps to
make this thing legal.  The newspaper will contain at least three types of
items.  They are:

News:  Non biased reporting on issues
Commentary: Arguments fon issues or proposals
Advertising:  Paid announcements

The newspaper will be distributed freely to all players and observers of
ackanomic via a mailing list.  I am still debating if I should send it to
the main list, or send it only to people who wish to subscribe.  I will
also maintain a web page containing the current issue of the paper.

I am accepting submissions for News or Commentary items.  All items will be
considered regardless of political or religious affiliation.  Should anyone
want one, I will sell advertising spots for A$5.  Please send submissins to
[email-masked] with the subject line "Acka: Submission".

The first issue of this paper will be published as soon as I have a few
relevent items to print.

Finally, I open open for suggestions as to the name of this paper.  Any ideas?

snowgod
Would-be-editor

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 01:26:28 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Yummy Yummy Gumball! 

Hey!  It's something stuck to my shoe!  Perhaps next time, this is not a
name, you will place your gumball back where you found it after you are
done chewing!  After ripping the sticky sweet gumball remains out the
traction crevices in my sole, I place it my mouth and begin to chew.  I
sure hope there are no diseases that can be transmitted electonically.  Who
says two people can't chew the gumball during the same day!

snowgod
Ambassador
 Former CSRR
Acting Senator (seat c)
Wearing a prosthetic forehead
The Witchfinder General never declared me a heretic
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:29:12 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Delegates... results 

Wayne wrote:
>>4 votes for /dev/joe  - /dev/joe, ThinMan, Nicolo FlyChuck, Mohammed
>>3 votes for this is not a name - this is not a name, snowgod, Bascule
>>2 votes for Calvin N Hobbes - Calvin N Hobbes, Malenkai
>>1 vote for Phoebe - Dr McSpong
>>
>>After seeing the votes, I was going to vote for CnH to create a tie
>>and throw things into greater confusion.  But my sanity came back to
>>me and I declined to vote.
>
>]You mean Phoebe? If I had three votes, it wouldn't matter, since it's the
>]top three candidates. I think I checked the rules on that once upon a time.
>](in a galaxy far, far away)
>]
>]Now if Phoebe had gotten two as well and it had been a tie, well, I would
>]have bowed out before such superior wisdom, of course.
>
>]CnH
>
>
>Normally the top three would be selected, but I believe that under the
>conditions of the paradox-end-of-game, the top two are selected along
>with the player who called the CFJ on the paradox.  Someone may wish
>to check this.

Wayne is absolutely correct.  Please refer to Rule 829.  Indeed, the
Convention has already issued its report.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:24:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Con-con recommendations

> Note that in the game superposition that is holding the CC,
> the Tabulator is on vacation, and Mohammed is the Speaker.
> The CC recommends that Mohammed appoint an Acting Tabulator
> to handle the tallying of the votes for the recommendation
> of the Constitutional Convention ASAP.
	I appoint Malenkai Acting Tabulator.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Spickes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 186 Acceptance

	I accept Judgeship of CFJ 186.  I will deliver my verdict within 
one week in accordance with Rule 213.

	De'ghew

- -- 
  John Spickes - Undergraduate - UMCP - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jspickes
   PGP encrypted email preferred - finger [email-masked] for key

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:54:38 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Con-con recommendations

Mohammed wrote:
>         I appoint Malenkai Acting Tabulator.

Gee, thanks. Votes are due 11:59 New York Time, Jun 26.
I will check the quorum requirements, if any, later.

Send votes to [email-masked]

Malenkai
Acting Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:00:37 -0700
From: Clerk of the Courts <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 186 verdict

The following has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 186
  Subject: Bifurcation
Initiator: mr cwm
    Judge: De'ghew (selected 19-Jun-96 1830h New York Time)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

R829 has no effect.

mr cwm's Argument:

R666 provides for a certain procedure to be carried out upon a winner
being declared.  R829 states that some cases another procedure shall be
carried out first, but does not claim precedence.  (I believe "before"
means "prior in time.")  There is, then, a conflict.  Either R666's
procedure or R829's procedure can be carried out upon a win by paradox
being declared, but not both.  (R829 seems to imply that's R666's
procedure should be carried out after R829's, but then R666's wouldn't be
carried out upon the win being declared, but upon R829's procedure
finishing.)  With this conflict, and no claim of precedence, R666 prevails
by R210, and R829 can have no effect (it can't do what it says, and we
can't just make up things for it to do).

De'ghew's Reasoning:

        Rule 666 declares "Whenever there is a winner declared, the
following process shall be conducted:".  Webster defines "Whenever" to
mean "at any or every time that".  In the judgement of this court, this
wording requires that the procedure outlined in R666 must be executed at
the time a winner is declared, not at any other time.  R829 requires that
its process be carried out "before the procedure called for by rule 666".
Rules 666 and 829 are therefore in conflict, since if the procedure
outlined in R666 is to occur at the time a winner is declared, Rule 829's
procedure, which necessarily takes a greater than infinitessimal amount of
time, cannot occur before it.
        As mr cwm points out, Rule 829 does not take precedence over Rule
666.  Thus Rule 666 takes precedence and Rule 829, specifically the
requirement that its procedure be followed before that of R666, cannot be
legally followed.
        Rule 829 has, by the ruling of this court, no effect.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:07:16 -0700
From: Clerk of the Courts <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 187 (Techno)

Techno has been selected to judge the following. He has 3 days
to except or decline the appointment:

Clerk of the Courts
 
Call for Judgement 187
  Subject: Recursive rule
Initiator: De'ghew
    Judge: Techno (selected 20-Jun-96 1800h New York Time)

Statement:

Ackanomic play cannot continue.

De'ghew's reasoning:

        Rule 666 must be invoked "Whenever there is a winner declared".
Because a winner has been declared, the procedure outlined in R666 must
have been executed.  The first several steps of R666 read as follows:

a)  Ackanomic play is suspended.
b)  All Chartreuse Goose Eggs and Right-Handed Grapefruit are eliminated.
c)  The winner is declared the winner of the current cycle . . .

        Upon the execution of step c, a winner is declared and R666 must
be invoked.  R666 is therefore recursive.  Ackanomic play has never been
resumed and is therefore still suspended.  Ackanomic gameplay cannot
continue.
        I contend that this constitutes a Win by Paradox.  I win this
cycle.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:26:05 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Official

Given the verdict of CFJ 186, it seems we are in the thread that
distributed CFJ 186, thus invalidating the Con-Con thread. Therefore
Ackanomic play can continue under "normal" rules, except for the 
possibility of CFJ 187's effects hanging out there.

Therefore all proposals that "were in the queue" should still be there,
votes and all, I suppose.

I am the Speaker. I shall sort through the facts and rules as I know
them, and issue a statement as soon as possible as to what I think is
going on. As should everyone else who is interested. Appeals, verdicts,
and other stuff may still happen.

Who knows what other threads may emerge!

BTW, I appoint myself Acting Tabulator (to avoid confusion). Gee, thanks
again.

Malenkai
Speaker (in this thread)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 23:38:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Phoebe (snowgod)

At 00:21 June 20th, Techno carelessly lost Phoebe's matchbox.
He loses 3 points for failing to post "What Phoebe Says".
(hmm, the scorekeeper is on vacation; we'll have to remind him
when he returns).

Just now, Phoebe's matchbox was found by snowgod.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #59
******************************