Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #42
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, June 10 1996         Volume 01 : Number 042

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 2:33:40 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 902

Proposal 902 - Mon Jun 10 02:33:39 EDT 1996
I Sage o'Doe Gas, I
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Let 'ohm' let a burned heretic, ere her afterlives, upon telling
O'the word, elope to the, eh, "Tote poled row eh tog nil let no
pus evil ret fare he reciter eh den rub at elm" Hotel.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:35:41 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Ackanomic: Amber Banana

>Proposal 894 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:03 EDT 1996
>Map, Creation Of
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

By R 827 I claim that I am spending A$10 to acquire an Amber
Banana from Techno's tree. Upon Techno completing the purchase,
by acknowledging this, I will decide if I will eat it, and how
Techno will vote, should I decide to do so.

Malenkai
Sage O'Doe Gas hopeful

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:49:45 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: The Gnome Lives

At 8:54 PM 6/9/96, The Voting Gnome wrote:
>Sorry, you just can't get rid of me. I can never be killed.
>
>I still intend to register as a player of Ackanomic. (Perhaps I can
>even become the Gnome Buddy and get two votes!) Please register me
>as a player with the name Gnoman (as in no man can ever destroy me!).
>
>Thanks.
>
>Transmission Complete - The Voting Gnome!

Whoa!  Just so everyone knows, this one wasn't from me.  I admit that the
first one was, and please notice that I made no attempt to cover up the
fact.  I was just voiving how the voting gnome is feeling these days, i
imagine.

Bu this one, no.  This ones not mine.

snowgod

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:59:02 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

>Rules like "Hungry..." are not needless, they are fun, at least
>in terms of the banter between snowgod and myself that it
>generated, and as part of the "gnomic wars". If none of this is
>fun for observers, or the majority, then /dev/joe has a point.
>Gumball is the same thing. It was a totally needless rule, but
>these kind of touches make me want to fight my ISP every day.

I acutally agree with Malenkai on this one.  Fun rules are what makes
ackanomic great.  It's the "Crap" that gives a game it's charm.  Should
ackanomic become a straitforward game, a pure government simulation, I fear
it will lose much of it's appeal, and with that, it's players.

>But back to trouble. Troublesome situations are another fun enhaning
>element of the game. I'm not sure what we're playing, or what we're
>building if we don't like "Snags and Snarls". We have no goal, so
>the goal in my mind is to enjoy the diversity of rules, and untangle
>us from the snarls they sometimes create.

Like I said before, what fun is having rules, if we don't have people
trying to sabatoge them, or jump through loopholes the size of montana.
Perhaps now would be a good time for a festival, so that we can all enjoy
the diversity of the existing rules for awhile, before the No Crap party
takes the fun out of them.

>My personal belief is that a diversity of rules is most enjoyable.
>Fun, serious, constructive, bogus, those that hose snowgod,
>playful, etc. I personally do not like the "Rule Rippers" and the
>CSRR because they clean out some of the charm of the original
>author's work, authors who spent alot of time on them. The rules
>are more of an alive document that way. We could rewrite MacBeth
>as "King gets hosed". Anyway, that is what voting is for.

With a ruleset that is completely strait, without any eggs, a proposal like
"The Exception" or "Silly Hats" would never stand a chance of passing.  The
players who remained to play such a game, would be inclined to vote down
any proposal that does not conform to the serious tone of the game.  Maybe,
if there is no Festival, I wil propose a rule that amends each existing
rule by adding a paragraph that reads "The King Get's Hosed"  Then the No
Crap party would have something to look foreward too.

>>I have been considering forming a political party which might
>>be called the No Crap party.
>
>Which doesn't mean I'm ready to form the Crap party in response.
>(boy, I seem to be on the other side of the ideaological wall from
>everyone). My anti-efficiency arguments have been made previously.
>I am not a "pro-Crap" player, just a "pro-interesting" player.
>
>(in good fun)

Like Malenkai, I am a pro-interesting player.  While, I stand on the
opposite side of the fence on every other issue, on this one, he and I can
stand together.  I don't support crap, I don't support strait rules.  I
support rules that will make the game FUN to play.

>
>Malenkai
>
>PS. For more insight into my ideaology in this regard, or for a great
>read besides, read Jack L. Chalker's "Saga of Well World".
>

Uh, oh.  Scary :)

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:13:12 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic: Politness Moon (again) 

>> Proposal 890 - Sun Jun 09 17:58:57 EDT 1996
>> There's more to voting than proposals
>> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
>        What is this trash?  No more proposals that parse to nulls,
>please!

I am making a politness moon call on Mohammed.  While mohammed has every
right to disagree with my proposal, calling it trash without first finding
out the reasoning behind it is impolite, and beyond that downright rude.

It's talk like this that could squash proposals before they are ever
submitted, stifling creativity in the game, and making the game less fun in
general.  Who knows, players who are already not very active, may not
submit their first proposal, or new ideas, RFC's whatever for fear of being
"trashed".

A proposal to creat a resolution does not change the rules.  It simply
issues a statement that is supported by the majority of the players.  I
use, and will continue to use, the resolution as a tool for making a point,
or taking an opinion survey.  For instance, in the matter of internomic,
save for a few players, and you know who you are, I was hard pressed to
extract information with regards to internomic.  By issuing proposals to
create resolutions on the matter, I could see how people felt about the
issue by viewing the voting results.  Same thing here.  I want to see why
players didn't vote in the recent elections.  I want to see how they feel
about voting for things other than proposals in particular.  I want to let
players know, in a way they are required to respond to, that there is more
to voting than proposals! And I resent the allegation that this is trash!

snowgod
CSRR
Ambassador
Acting Senator
Wearing a prothetic forehead
In fear of being burned.

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:23:23 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 897

At 12:26 AM 6/10/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 897 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:28 EDT 1996
>Regulation of Propaganda
>Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

>c. There must a clearly visible yellow element. The yellow element can
>appear as the background or part of it. It can appear as the text color, or
>it can appear as a dominant color in a graphic. Some or all of these
>possibilities may be combined. Others manifestations of yellow, which are
>not specified in this rule are allowed, as long as it is clearly visible,
>and it can be seen when the page is first displayed by the browser.
>There is no requirement that the yellow element be visible to users of text
>only browsers.

I will have to vote no on this rule becuause of section c.

As a colorblind player, I will be unable to faithfully place a yellow
element in my web pages.    I might get it, or I might not.  I might have
green or even, god forbid, orange in place of yellow, and would never know
it until someone ships me to the gaol.  Also, this rule may discriminate
against users who create their web images without a color monitor.

snowogod

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:48:39 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 899

At 12:26 AM 6/10/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 899 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:57 EDT 1996
>Banning Forged Mail
>/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Let me be the first to support his proposal.  Among other things, it closes
a possible loophole that my have been able to allow "ballot-box" stuffing.
Then again, that may never have worked, but now it will be completly out of
the question.

snowgod

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 01:55:23 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886

>3. I hereby make a public request to snowgod to remove all propaganda from
>eir webpage, even though there are no rules concerning propaganda at the
>moment. At least out of courtesy.

Been there, done that.  The "propaganda" was removed from my web page
moments after recieving Malenkai proposal.  I still maintain that the
propoganda [which, for any who has not visited the amabassador's page was a
line in a javascript scroll which read "Vote snowgod for senate!  If
elected to the senate I promise to resign before going on vacation"] was in
presented in such a way that it did not detract from the content of the
page, and could not have created confusion about the pages content by
anyone viewing the page.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:05:05 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Golden Frog 

>>Is this an official call for a witchhunt on snowgod?
>>R729 will not let you call a witchhunt on the Golden Frog.
>
>Yeah, let's do it on snowgod. Although I trust him in general, we can't
>have small green (ok, golden) creatures spreading blasphemy through him.
>After all, the frog couldn't make him send that message.
>
>>
>>     If, in a public message, a player refers to the Earth being round,
>>     or implies that this may be the case, any other player may call
>>     for a Witchhunt, by publically posting that they are doing so.
>
>snowgod certainly referred to the Earth being [censored].

If you feel the need to burn me, so be it.... But be aware that by burning
me, you may be burning one of the only true believers in a flat earth among
the citizens of ackanomic.  Sure, everyone says they believe in a flat
earth, but you, like me, have heard their whispers when they thought no one
was around.

I posted the blaspehmous frogs statements, in effort to save ackanomic from
the perils of an unregulated entity.  If I were to not post the heretical
rantings of this dangers creature, and instead let them go unnoticed among
the general populace, who knows what sort of dangerous ideas it could have
put in Malenkai's brain next.  The world should beware of blasphemous
golden frogs, and they should be destroyed.  But to burn a true-believer,
as I clearly am (read the message, I told the truth to that damned frog),
is an act far worse than any I may have commited.

Please honors a dying man's request.  Send the Golden Frog to Agora, where
he may spread his evil among it's citizens rather than poluting ours.  Save
the true believers.... deport the golden frog.

snowgod

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:36:34 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886 

At 01:55 AM 10/06/96 -0800 , Phil Ackley  wrote:
>
>>3. I hereby make a public request to snowgod to remove all propaganda from
>>eir webpage, even though there are no rules concerning propaganda at the
>>moment. At least out of courtesy.
>
>Been there, done that.  The "propaganda" was removed from my web page
>moments after recieving Malenkai proposal.  I still maintain that the
>propoganda [which, for any who has not visited the amabassador's page was a
>line in a javascript scroll which read "Vote snowgod for senate!  If
>elected to the senate I promise to resign before going on vacation"] was in
>presented in such a way that it did not detract from the content of the
>page, and could not have created confusion about the pages content by
>anyone viewing the page.
>
>snowgod
>

But a political officer, above all others, must avoid even the  the seeming
impropriety of using the privilege of office in order to promote personal
propaganda.
:)
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:36:36 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 897 

At 01:23 AM 10/06/96 -0800, Phil Ackley wrote:
>At 12:26 AM 6/10/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>>Proposal 897 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:28 EDT 1996
>>Regulation of Propaganda
>>Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
>
>>c. There must a clearly visible yellow element. The yellow element can
>>appear as the background or part of it. It can appear as the text color, or
>>it can appear as a dominant color in a graphic. Some or all of these
>>possibilities may be combined. Others manifestations of yellow, which are
>>not specified in this rule are allowed, as long as it is clearly visible,
>>and it can be seen when the page is first displayed by the browser.
>>There is no requirement that the yellow element be visible to users of text
>>only browsers.
>
>I will have to vote no on this rule becuause of section c.
>
>As a colorblind player, I will be unable to faithfully place a yellow
>element in my web pages.    I might get it, or I might not.  I might have
>green or even, god forbid, orange in place of yellow, and would never know
>it until someone ships me to the gaol.  Also, this rule may discriminate
>against users who create their web images without a color monitor.
>
>snowogod
>

I think you should read it more carefully, and try to be creative about
this. The rule doens't require any specific form, but provides examples.
You can just write the word 'Yellow', prefferabaly in big letters on the
page, and that will fit the requirement. 
If you demonstrate to me that the rule does not allow this, I will resubmit,
with explicit permission to include the yellow element in that manner
Nicolo Flychuck
>
>-
>
>To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
>http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html
>
>To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
>http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html
>
>At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
>this URL:
>telnet://snowgod.alaska.net
>
>
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:21:31 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Not Voting

From the god of snow:

> I want to see why
> players didn't vote in the recent elections.  I want to see how they feel
> about voting for things other than proposals in particular.  I want to let
> players know, in a way they are required to respond to, that there is more
> to voting than proposals! And I resent the allegation that this is trash!

OK. I didn't vote the first time round because:

1) It wasn't as straightforward as mailing the nomicbot

2) With the exception of CSRR, campaigning was minimal - hence
   there was little to choose between the candidates. If anyone
   had mounted a massive campaign, they'd have had my vote. [I
   meant to vote for ThinMan for Senator actually, but forgot :( ]

3) What does it matter? If other players have stronger views than
   I, why should I muck up the election by voting on a whim?

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 13:26:14 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 902

> Proposal 902 - Mon Jun 10 02:33:39 EDT 1996
> I Sage o'Doe Gas, I
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> Let 'ohm' let a burned heretic, ere her afterlives, upon telling
> O'the word, elope to the, eh, "Tote poled row eh tog nil let no
> pus evil ret fare he reciter eh den rub at elm" Hotel.

*Applause*

That deserves more than the eight points you'll get for it.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 05:45:49 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Acka: Game Winner ??

I claim the following is true. Wayne's claim of 257 by stealing points
from this is not a name under the point swapping controversy has
temporal precedence over Bascule's win. A verdict of TRUE on 
CFJ 92... will invaliadte that action.

Given that that action is invalidated, Bascule's retraction would
put him at 254, temporally before P837 passes, which gives him
257. He wins at that point, unless it it contested. The scores can
be reset at that point, and the voting results for all actions 
after that can be off of a base of 0, not the current scores.
Wayne would have to recompute them, but that would be the only
hassle.

If CFJ 92... comes back FALSE, however, it will be more chaotic,
because someone will probably appeal it, unless the judge comes
up with reasoning heretofore unconsidered. The Supreme Court
will probably overturn such a verdict, unless, again, that
reasoning is strong enough to warrant otherwise. It will thus
just take longer for the above senerio I have described to play
out. In either case, either Wayne or Bascule has won, unless
the legitimicy of Bascule's score is disputed quickly.

In no case shall the Fat Lady sing, until her wording is changed
to "end of cycle"

Malenkai
Vote YES for P902 (Sage O'Doe Gas)

>Bascule may have won:

Bascule's score was at 256 on Friday morning.  Then he retracted his
two proposals @ 16:00 on Friday.  When I logged on Sat night, I sent
out the results of several proposals.  Once I finished sending out the
proposals, I then deducted the 2 points from Bascule.  If I had 
followed
the chronological order of events, the two points should have been
deducted before I sent out 837.

p837.res:  Bascule                                     256 -> 259       
   
p838.res:  Bascule                                     259 -> 262       
   
p839.res:  Bascule                                                      
   
p840.res:  Bascule                                                      
   
p841.res:  Bascule                                     262 -> 265       
   
p842.res:  Bascule                                     265 -> 268       
   
p843.res:  Bascule                                     268 -> 271       
   
p844.res:  Bascule                                     271 -> 274       
   
p845.res:  Bascule                                     274 -> 277       
   
p846.res:  Bascule                                     277 -> 280       
   
p847.res:  Bascule                                     280 -> 283       
   
p848.res:  Bascule                                     283 -> 286       
   
Here is where I deducted the two points from Bascule, giving him his
current score of 284.

It is apparant that timing can be very important in issues such as 
this.
I feel that the only fair thing to do is correct the error and declare
Bascule the winner, unless it is found that someone else has already 
won
before Bascule.  

I'm going to rewrite the end of cycle rules now, so that this may be
clarified.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:26:16 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: three new Blueprints

The mad inventor wrote:

> Blueprint:  Pyraic Frobnotzer
> =====
> The owner of a Pyraic Frobnotzer may attach one of its nodes to any noun
> phrase anywhere in the rule set, by announcing the action publicly. 

> When a Pyraic Frobnotzer has been humming for five days, the following
> happens:  If the Pyraic Frobnotzer's two nodes are attached to two
> noun phrases which are both plural or both singular, then those two noun
> phrases trade location within the rule set, and the Pyraic Frobnotzer is 
> destroyed in a magnificent gout of golden flame.

First: What is a noun phrase? I presume it's the same as a noun.

This is potentially very funny - and potentially disastrous! Plus the 
inventor rule is even more powerful than this. I can't see why 
Mohammed couldn't produce a game winning device for instance, or what
if the Frobnotzer deleted all the text in the ruleset inbetween the
nouns that the Frobnotzer's nodes are connected to? 

I suggest that a Committee of Ethics should be established to oversee 
all technological and scientific developments in Acka, and that the 
Committee should have power of veto over such things. Perhaps the
Senate should do this. In fact, I think I'll propose something to 
this effect as soon as I've had time to word it.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:31:18 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Prop 839 Passes 

I hereby name my residence "ThinMan's House".

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Discussion: Apathy

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> 
> For the people who didn't vote: did you not know about the elections? did 
> you not care? were you unable to select one candidate over another?
> 

I didn't realize they'd started.  I knew the senate seat was open, but
campaigning usually starts well before the official voting period, so I
must have forgotten the announcement that voting had actually begun.  It's
a crummy excuse.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:39:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 875

"Quoting rules to repeal" prevents players from getting "Short is Good"
points from repeals, which I think is a good thing.  Perhaps an amendment
or re-write of R678 would be a better idea.

- -mr cwm

> Proposal 875 - Sat Jun 08 00:40:15 EDT 1996
> By reference, not by value
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> R 678, "Quoting rules to repeal", is hereby repealed.
> 
> [[
> 
> My reasoning is:
> 
> 1) Rules can change while a proposal is in the queue to repeal it. (eg,
> on my previous proposal, "Self Deleting Text", which repeals "Resolutions").
> Quoting the rule text, then, in that proposal, can lead to a
> misrepresentation of what the rule being repealed, actually says, if this
> happens. In other words, I'd rather refer to rules by reference instead
> of by value.
> 
> 2) We have a Web-Harfer again, so this need has diminished.
> 
> 3) Most of us know the rules by title (reference).
> 
> 4) It saves the Dirty Word.  
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Rule 678/1 (Mutable)
> Quoting rules to Repeal
> snowgod (Phil Ackley)
> 
>       Any proposal to repeal another rule is required to contain the text of 
> the rule it repeals. 
> 
> ]]
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:40:42 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction of a CFJ

I retract CFJ 183. Malenkai reckon's it isn't necessary.

Bascule
 
> >Call for Judgement 183
> >  Subject:  Supreme Court finalization
> >Initiator:  Bascule
> >    Judge:  Brinjal (selected at 1743h on 9 June 1996)
> 
> >Statement:
> >> Bascule is now a Justice of the Supreme Court.

 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:45:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Changes in the Permanent Vacation party

It was nice to be a member of a party named after an Aerosmith album for
a while, but I really must be going.  As I prepare to leave the Permanent
Vacation party, a few changes must first be made.

I resign as Swinger for Permanent Vacation.  Robert Sevin is chosen to
fill that position.

I resign as leader and party boss of Permanent Vacation.  Permanent
Vacation shall have no such positions until the party assigns them again.

I am hereby leaving the Permanent Vacation party.

I was really tempted to add "No member of Permanent Vacation who is on
vacation may return from vacation." to their charter before leaving, but
I thought that was a little too mean-spirited of a joke, so I'll end the
joke merely at renaming the party.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 11:52:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: lot's of different topics

First, as Promoter,since I have distributed P900, I have the right to
call for a Festival.  The Rule stipulates that I must call for the
Festival on the next day (Tue).  This will be a perfect time for 
a Festival, since we have a lot of stuff to clear up right now.  If
you want a proposal distributed, get it to me today.

Second, I don't expect to be declared winner of the game.  I only did
what I did to show (I believe at least) point transfers are illegal.
If point transfers are legal, it would be a bad thing.  Any group of
players, once thier sum score was >= 257 could transfer points so that
one of them won the game.  Thsi would be detrimintal to the game if this
kind of action was allowed.

Third, concerning crap rules, they are fun.  I doubt that Acka will
ever become too rigid to disallow those types of proposals.  But I have
to point out that these rules can also become a burden.  No one wants
badly written rules.  Make sure you think about the loopholes 
(unless you already designed a loophole into the rule and are planning
to use it ;)
Make things have some game value.  It takes time for new players to read
the ruleset.  If it is filled up with silly rules, it is easy to get
distracted and confuse.  Recycle some rules.  There is no reason that
we can't repeal a silly rule that has been on the books awhile to make
room for other rules.  Send it to the history books.

Also, I'm tired of people creating enities and stuff, but never using
them.  Look at the Church.  Since the Church really had no power,
no one has bothered to form a Church.  These are useless Rules.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:19:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Question

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996 Wayne wrote:

> 
> He just missed hitting 257 exactly.  But this is something we should
> change.  One shouldn't have to lose points in order to win because
> they overshot the magic number.  That doesn't make sense.
> 

Um ... it makes as much inherent sense as gaining points to achieve the
magic number does.  And Bacsule has demonstrated that it's not that much
easier :)  There's nothing "magic" about achieving the magic number from
below.  At least, not yet. 

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:20:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Moon call 

Here are the voting results for : 1
  Politeness Moon Call against Malenkai

7 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes

7 YES votes: "Yes, he was polite" 
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Malenkai                                                        
  ThinMan                                                         
  Bascule                                                         
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               

1 NO votes:  "No, he was not polite" 
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               

Malenkai, the Jazz Jackrabbit was found to be polite

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 17:21:43 BST
From: R Shaw <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: three new Blueprints 

> From [email-masked] Mon Jun 10 16:29 BST 1996
> Sender: [email-masked]
> From: Matt <[email-masked]>
> Organization: The University of Birmingham
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:26:16 +0000
> Subject: Re: Ackanomic: three new Blueprints
> Priority: normal
> X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (v2.01)
> Content-Type> : > text> 
> Content-Length: 1287
> 
> The mad inventor wrote:
> 
> > Blueprint:  Pyraic Frobnotzer
> > =====
> > The owner of a Pyraic Frobnotzer may attach one of its nodes to any noun
> > phrase anywhere in the rule set, by announcing the action publicly. 
> 
> > When a Pyraic Frobnotzer has been humming for five days, the following
> > happens:  If the Pyraic Frobnotzer's two nodes are attached to two
> > noun phrases which are both plural or both singular, then those two noun
> > phrases trade location within the rule set, and the Pyraic Frobnotzer is 
> > destroyed in a magnificent gout of golden flame.
> 
> First: What is a noun phrase? I presume it's the same as a noun.
>
No, it is a linguistic term.

A noun phrase starts with an article, optional adjectives, the noun
propositional phrases( which may include other noun phrases), and 
any descriptive clauses.  
So noun phrases include 
'a noun phrase', 'those two noun phrases'
'a burst of golden flame', 'all active players',
'all active players of ackanomic who own a red accordian'
'the malt that the rat that the cat the dog chased killed ate'
'everyone sitting under the bronze  tree  by the senate'

Basically, its anything that will fit where a typical noun will.
I can say 'It is a hat' or 'It is  a noun phrase'
'He is purple' 'The malt ... was pink' or ' Everyone ... is orange'
Try any book covering chomskian linguistics (Pinker's language 
instinct for the popular version) for a better explanation
 
> This is potentially very funny - and potentially disastrous! Plus the 
> inventor rule is even more powerful than this. I can't see why 
> Mohammed couldn't produce a game winning device for instance, or what
> if the Frobnotzer deleted all the text in the ruleset inbetween the
> nouns that the Frobnotzer's nodes are connected to? 
> 
> I suggest that a Committee of Ethics should be established to oversee 
> all technological and scientific developments in Acka, and that the 
> Committee should have power of veto over such things. Perhaps the
> Senate should do this. In fact, I think I'll propose something to 
> this effect as soon as I've had time to word it.
> 
> Bascule
> 

Buy a wrench to throw in the works.
If any body should be able to veto such creations,
it should be all ackanomia. I like the idea.

 Robin Hood 

> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:23:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 903

Proposal 903 - Mon Jun 10 12:23:42 EDT 1996
Technophobia
Bascule  (Matt Black)

[Synopsis: If in unanimity, the Senate may prohibit the
production of destructive Gadgets]

This rule creates a Committee of Scientific Ethics. It's
purpose is to oversee the scientific and technological
advances in Ackanomia, and to ensure that such developments
are in the public interest.

Inventors and Scientists may not sit on the Committee of 
Scientific Ethics, however they may be invited to give
evidence to the Committee. If a Senator is neither Inventor
nor Scientist then he is a member of the Committee of 
Scientific Ethics.

If the Committee of Scientific Ethics unanimously decides 
that a blueprint produced by the Inventor would create
a gadget or gadgets that would be detrimental to the game
of Ackanomic, it may prohibit the production of those gadgets
by publishing a document to that effect to the public
forum signed by all active Committee members. The document
must include an explanation of the reason for the prohibition.
This prohibition may be overturned if at any point in the
future a member of the Committee publishes a document to
that effect.

If the Inventor produces a prohibited gadget, he is breaking
the law and may have criminal proceedings brought against him.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:24:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 849 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 849
  Proposal 849 - Sun Jun 02 02:12:35 EDT 1996
  'Fixing a loophole the size of Montana'
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

17 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  191 -> 201

17 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe                                                        
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

1 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                    205 -> 210          

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 849 - Sun Jun 02 02:12:35 EDT 1996
'Fixing a loophole the size of Montana'
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 663 'Resolutions' by changing the first sentence to
"A proposal may state that it is a resolution."

[[
I'd heard someone mention that there was a loophole in this rule, but
I didn't look at it before.  Now The Great Old One has gone off and
exploited it.  The rule says:

"A player may declare that a proposal is a resolution.  A resolution may not
change, add, or delete any rules.  If a resolution is adopted, the effect
described in the resolution shall occur, and the resolution shall not be
added to the rule set."
]]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:24:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 850 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 850
  Proposal 850 - Sun Jun 02 02:13:09 EDT 1996
  Commending Robert Sevin
  this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

16 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

this is not a name gains 10 points.  266 -> 276

16 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe                                                        
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

1 NO votes:  5 points each
  Wayne                  Underworld           235 -> 240          

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 850 - Sun Jun 02 02:13:09 EDT 1996
Commending Robert Sevin
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

This is a Resolution.

Ackanomia wishes to commend former Speaker Robert Sevin for his 
distinguished service to the land. The day after this Resolution passes, 
a ceremonial parade will be held in his honor.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 12:27:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: ACka: Proposal 851 FAILS

Here are the voting results for : 851
  Proposal 851 - Sun Jun 02 02:18:59 EDT 1996
  Constitutional Convention
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

7 YES votes   8 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

7 YES votes:  3 points each                   Ignore these scoring changes
		                          I didn't actually change my scoring
					  file.
  Brinjal                                     121 -> 124          
  ThinMan                                     230 -> 233          
  Niccolo Flychuck                            104 -> 107          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           276 -> 279          
  /dev/joe                                    201 -> 204          
  SnafuMoose                                  137 -> 140          
  Techno                 Underworld           265 -> 268          

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Bascule                                                         
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Tammany                                                         
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

2 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld          
  Calvin N Hobbes                            

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #42
******************************