Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #41
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, June 10 1996         Volume 01 : Number 041

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 03:36:52 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:RFC Otzma Cards (prev.Power Cards 

This is qouted in its entirety from the RFC I posted yesterday.
I might phrase 6.b.ii a bit more clearly. 
There was one problem I saw with this. The Wizard could let the
Approved-Otzma-Count just shoot up real fast, simply by not creating any
cards, therefore having rule (i) effective all the time. Then start creating
only when the 
Count is real high. I want the Count to have some interaction with proposal
frequency, since many cards are expected to have an effect on the outcome of
proposals, and voting is one of the ways of the ways they will be used. In
order to prevent the Wizard from saving high count, I'm adding 
6.c
Every Sunday nigh on midnight GMT the Approved-Otzma-Count will receive the
value of the smallest integer which is greater than 
(Approved-Otzma-Count)*0.9

Note that this is a 10% cutoff, with a round-up, a sort of fade mechanism.
You may further note that once the Count has gone below 10, this equation
has no effect.  So now we yet another force, which should encourage the
Wizard to create Cards, but keep their number in some sort of dynamic
realationship with the game.

Nicolo Flychuck

>6.
>a. Let there be a counter called Approved-Otzma-Count. 
>0<=Approved-Otzma-Count<=100
>Initially Approved-Otzma-Count=0
>b. If the Total number of Otzma Cards in existence in Ackanomic plus the
>Approved-Otzma-Count is less than or equal to 100 then
>  (i) When the Total number of Otzma cards in existence is less than 30, the
>Approved-Otzma-Count is increased by 1 everytime a proposal passes
>  (ii) when the Total number of Otzma cards is existence is equal to or
>greater than 30 then the Approved-Otzma-Count is increased by 1 everytime
>two consecutive proposals pass.
>Once a proposal has been considered for consecutive proposal count it cannot
>be considered again. So if three consecutive proposal pass, 1 and 2 are
>counted as consecutive, 2 and 3 are not counted, because w has already been
>counted with 1
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 20:45:37 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Golden Frog

snowgod wrote:

>I thank malenkai for the Golden Frog, he shall be a valuable friend.
>
>Upon recieving the Golden Frog, he began speaking to me.
>
>"snowgod," he said, " Contrary to R729, The earth is not flat.  The earth
>is indeed round.  You must make it your mission to go forth into the land
>of Ackanomic, and proclaim this fact from the highest mountain, should such
>a thing exist!"
>
>"No!" I said, "The earth is flat, and you cannot make me believe otherwise!"
>
>After that I realized the dangers of possesing a golden frog, and I pass it
>back to Malenkai.

BURN THE FROG-WITCH!!!!

(And what the hell, let's burn snowgod too. All the snow in Alaska can't 
stop us. :-) )

this is not a name
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"I was under medication when I made the decision not to burn the tapes."
                                       --Richard Nixon
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 20:47:17 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Question

Did Bascule ever hit 257 points exactly, or did he just keep bouncing 
around there?

If not, and if the complex-number CFJ returns in my favor, I've won.

>Here are the voting results for : 843
>  Proposal 843 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
>  Dealin'
>  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

>  this is not a name     (None Yet)           254 -> 257          

this is not a name
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
                                       --H. H. Munro (Saki)
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:54:47 -0500
From: [email-masked] (The Voting Gnome)
Subject: Ackanomic: The Gnome Lives

Sorry, you just can't get rid of me. I can never be killed.

I still intend to register as a player of Ackanomic. (Perhaps I can
even become the Gnome Buddy and get two votes!) Please register me
as a player with the name Gnoman (as in no man can ever destroy me!).

Thanks.

Transmission Complete - The Voting Gnome!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:01:56 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Acka: Question

>Did Bascule ever hit 257 points exactly, or did he just keep bouncing 
>around there?

>If not, and if the complex-number CFJ returns in my favor, I've won.

>this is not a name

I would claim the following:

1) If the CFJ comes back TRUE, Wayne will probably appeal it.

2) If it is deemed to be TRUE, then Wayne's act of stealing points
from you will probably be upheld as well, thus reducing your score
and giving Wayne the win, as he was at 257 first.

3) You claimed to give Wayne 5 points, which have not been accounted
for yet in your score.

4) Bascule retracted 2 proposals, I believe yersterday, that have not
been accounted for by the scorekeeper. I believe that retraction could
have given him 257 after the first proposal came back no, before the
one you are claiming a win on.

5) The Great Old One's claim of paradox win could come back true, 
before that CFJ, nuking all wins.

The Fat Lady is far from singing, at least in your case.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:05:29 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Acka: Golden Frog

>(And what the hell, let's burn snowgod too. All the snow in Alaska 
>can't stop us. :-) )

>this is not a name

Is this an official call for a witchhunt on snowgod?
R729 will not let you call a witchhunt on the Golden Frog.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:13:46 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: President

>164: The Speaker and the Voters (appealed to Supreme Court)
>176: Paradox (last CFJ on The Great Old One's win attempt) (Niccolo 
Flychuck)
>178: Resolutions (appealed to Supreme Court)
>180: Prosthetic Forehead Power (Robin Hood)
>92.9...: No Creativity (about trading points) (Niccolo Flychuck)
>183: Supreme Court finalization (Brinjal)

The Supreme Court is working on 164 and 178 as we speak. Unfortunately,
183 questions the legality of publishing the verdicts now. It has been
requested that Bascule retract 183, and the Court is most optimistic
of verdicts by the deadline of June 11, if it is retracted.

The delay can be attributed to the Court first needing to set up
internal procedures, then the significant time difference for the
Justices. The Court appreciates your patience.

The Supreme Court

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 22:19:49 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Golden Frog

>>(And what the hell, let's burn snowgod too. All the snow in Alaska 
>>can't stop us. :-) )
>
>>this is not a name
>
>Is this an official call for a witchhunt on snowgod?
>R729 will not let you call a witchhunt on the Golden Frog.

Yeah, let's do it on snowgod. Although I trust him in general, we can't 
have small green (ok, golden) creatures spreading blasphemy through him. 
After all, the frog couldn't make him send that message.

>
>     If, in a public message, a player refers to the Earth being round,
>     or implies that this may be the case, any other player may call
>     for a Witchhunt, by publically posting that they are doing so.

snowgod certainly referred to the Earth being [censored].

BURN THE WITCH!

CC: Wayne, Witchfinder General

this is not a name
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
        "Makes your fingers fall off." --Mistranslated KFC ad
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:20:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: Question

>Did Bascule ever hit 257 points exactly, or did he just keep bouncing 
>around there?

He just missed hitting 257 exactly.  But this is something we should
change.  One shouldn't have to lose points in order to win because
they overshot the magic number.  That doesn't make sense.

>If not, and if the complex-number CFJ returns in my favor, I've won.

>this is not a name

] 1) If the CFJ comes back TRUE, Wayne will probably appeal it.
Naturally....

] 3) You claimed to give Wayne 5 points, which have not been accounted
] for yet in your score.

What 5 points are you refering to here?  According to one interpretation
of the rules, I cannot be given points unless I agree to receive them.

]4) Bascule retracted 2 proposals, I believe yersterday, that have not
]been accounted for by the scorekeeper. I believe that retraction could
]have given him 257 after the first proposal came back no, before the
]one you are claiming a win on.

I believe that I have deducted all points for the recent retractions.

]5) The Great Old One's claim of paradox win could come back true, 
]before that CFJ, nuking all wins.

While I don't think this should be returned true, we never know what
will happen

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:24:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 893

Proposal 893 - Mon Jun 10 00:24:32 EDT 1996
Zap!
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This rule has retroactive application. It holds precedence over R106
and any other mutable rule which would prevent it from having such. It
shall be retroactive to June 9, 1996, 1700 hrs New York Time.

Prosthetic Foreheads have the following properties:
 
Prosthetic Foreheads are difficult to remove. In fact, it takes 10 days
from the day it is publically announced by the wearer of such an item
that he or she is removing it for it to actually be removed. Therefore,
if a player announces the removal of a Prosthetic Forehead after the
effective date of this rule, it shall be removed 10 days later.

Prosthetic Foreheads are electrically charged. In fact, they will zap
their wearer for 3 points every day that they are worn. The scorekeeper
is required to make such change daily to the wearer's of the Foreheads
scores, and announce the results; and make any appropriate retroactive
adjustments to wearer's scores, and announce the results.

This rule takes precedence over any mutable rule which would deny the
scorekeeper such duties. This rule takes precedence over R818.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:25:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 894

Proposal 894 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:03 EDT 1996
Map, Creation Of
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Let there be the Map of Ackanomia. It is a resource of Ackanomia, and
may be owned by no single player.

The Map is a concrete representation of the abstract structure,
location, and relationships of the (lands, buildings, residences,
boundries with other Nomics, and other geographic entities in
Ackanomia, and its interfaces with the Inter-Nomic realm). The
non-existance of any of the entities mentioned in this
paragraph in parentheses shall not be sufficient to cause
the non-existance of the Map.

The Null Map is permissible as the Map. If the Null Map is
being used, the officer in charge of the Map must make this
fact public.

The officer in charge of the Map may choose any medium he or she
desires to render it. The recommended mediums shall be HTML with
clickable images/cgi, or VRML. The officer shall consider public
opinion, availability, and cost of technology when making such
a decision.

If the medium chosen allows what is now commonly referred to as 
"links", or a similar mechanism, then the Map shall be designed
so as to permit links to individual player's "abodes", or other
content, so long as the medium that content is rendered in is
compatable with the Map's medium.

If there is no officer in charge of the Map (except as follows), the
the Web-Harfer shall have that responsibility. If there is no
Web-Harfer, or the Web-Harfer declares that he or she does not want the
responsibility, then no one shall have the responsibility. This clause 
has precedence over any other mutable rule which would require the
Speaker or anyone else to do the job.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:25:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 895

Proposal 895 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:17 EDT 1996
Map-Harfer, Creation of
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

      The Office of the Map-Harfer is a Functional Office. It is the
Duty of the Map-Harfer to create and maintain the Map of Ackanomia,
as governed by other rules. If there are no such rules, this rule shall
lie dormant until there are.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:25:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 896

Proposal 896 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:58 EDT 1996
Universal Nomic
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

By this rule, Ackanomic recognizes that the Universe is a Nomic, and
that Gravity was its initial ruleset.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:26:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 897

Proposal 897 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:28 EDT 1996
Regulation of Propaganda
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

This rule uses the following terminology :
Official web pages  - Web pages put up and maintained by various officers of
Ackanomic, either as dictated by the rules, or of their accord, as part of
the the services rendered by their offices, and for the purpose of providing
information, about the relevant office
Propaganda web pages - Web pages put up and maintained by players for the
express purpose of promoting political propaganda

This rules also makes refferences to some terms defined in the HTML 3.0
standard. Whenever such a refference is made, the terms follow the
definition laid down by the HTML standard.

1. Any player has the right to put up a Propaganda web-page. 
If a Player is unable to so on eir own, for whatever reason, the web-harfer
will put provide the necessary web space for them. However, propaganda
web-space provided by the web-harfer is limited to a single HTML file,
spanning two screenfuls of information , and a few small-images. The web
harfer has the right to refuse to include an image on grounds of image size
[[The gist is here is that 'public' acka resources may be used, but not
abused. I'm giving the web-harfer the final word on somethings, but since he
is giving the space, it seems proper]]

2. Propaganda pages may not have any direct links to Official pages.
Similarly, Official pages may not have direct links to Propaganda pages. The
sole exception to this section is the Ackanomic home page, which may include
direct hyperlinks to propaganda, although it may not include any propaganda
itself.
It is permissible for any other web-page, to have direct links to both
Official pages, and Propaganda pages.

3. Each Propaganda page must clearly labeled as such. Labeling shall
consists of all of the following:
a. Any direct link to a Propaganda page from any other page that is directly
related to Ackanomic will include the word 'propaganda' aas part of the
anchor text.
b. The Propaganda page must have the words 'This page is published as
political propaganda by ' followed by the name of the Player who owns the page. 
The words must be placed as a header of level 2 or higher  (for example, a
propaganda page of mine would have the html: <h2>This page is published as
political propaganda by Nicolo Flychuck</h2>) , they must also be visible
when the page is first displayed by the browser, that is, near the top of
the page
c. There must a clearly visible yellow element. The yellow element can
appear as the background or part of it. It can appear as the text color, or
it can appear as a dominant color in a graphic. Some or all of these
possibilities may be combined. Others manifestations of yellow, which are
not specified in this rule are allowed, as long as it is clearly visible,
and it can be seen when the page is first displayed by the browser.
There is no requirement that the yellow element be visible to users of text
only browsers.

4. All Ackanomic web-pages are subject to the Politeness Moon.

5. Official Pages may not contain Propaganda.  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:26:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 898

Proposal 898 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:42 EDT 1996
Ack! Pfffft!
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Transmute Rule 106 to Immutable.
[[Mohammed's proposal to transmute this rule to mutable passed almost
a month ago.  If he had real plans for changing the rule, he should have
submitted them by now.]]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:26:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 899

Proposal 899 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:57 EDT 1996
Banning Forged Mail
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Nobody may send e-mail related to Ackanomic in such a manner that it
appears to be from any email address besides their own, except in the case
of resending email to other players/observers, as is the case with mailing
lists.  [[Leave the punishment up to a CFCJ.]]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:27:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 900

Proposal 900 - Mon Jun 10 00:27:19 EDT 1996
Ackanomic runs Ackanomic
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

No one player is said to "run" Ackanomic. Ie, there is no meta-ruler
or similar entity who is "in charge". These duties, and the offices
that claim them, can only be given explicitly by the rules.

Furthermore, all things Ackanomic, including, but not limited to,
the rules, artifacts, game custom, are owned "in common", by the
players of Ackanomic.

This rule defers precedence to any other rule which contradicts it,
in whole or in part.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:27:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 901

Proposal 901 - Mon Jun 10 00:27:52 EDT 1996
No E-mail, No Game
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

All players and observers joining Ackanomic must have a valid e-mail
address reachable from the official mailing list at the time they join,
or else they may not join.

If all of a player's mail from the official mailing list sent in a period
of 3 days or longer (with a minimum of 10 messages) bounces, the Postmaster
may put that player on vacation by publicly announcing that he is doing
so, and giving the reason.  A player put on vacation in this way may not
return until email from the list can reach his address again.

If a player or observer's mail from the list bounces for a week or more
(minimum 20 messages) then the Postmaster may remove that player or observer
from the game by publicly announcing that he is doing so, and giving the
reason.  The player or observer may rejoin at a later time as usual.

[[ This is what I was going to put into the Postmaster proposal, but was
getting too complicated before, so I waited on it and made it into a
separate rule. ]]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:31:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Question

> ]4) Bascule retracted 2 proposals, I believe yersterday, that have not
> ]been accounted for by the scorekeeper. I believe that retraction could
> ]have given him 257 after the first proposal came back no, before the
> ]one you are claiming a win on.
> 
> I believe that I have deducted all points for the recent retractions.

Unless he also gained 2 points from something, the 2 points he lost for
retracting proposals  and  have not been deducted.

At Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:37:26 EDT, Wayne reported in a score update:
>-3 Bascule for retracting 833, 864, and 865
 [...]
>256	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 

Then Bascule retracted proposals 871 and 872.

But today, in the results for proposal 837 (the first time Bascule scored
on a proposal):
>  Bascule                                     256 -> 259          

Wayne, have you deducted Bascule's points for retracting proposals
871 and 872?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 0:54:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Game winner???

Bascule may have won:

Bascule's score was at 256 on Friday morning.  Then he retracted his
two proposals @ 16:00 on Friday.  When I logged on Sat night, I sent
out the results of several proposals.  Once I finished sending out the
proposals, I then deducted the 2 points from Bascule.  If I had followed
the chronological order of events, the two points should have been
deducted before I sent out 837.

p837.res:  Bascule                                     256 -> 259          
p838.res:  Bascule                                     259 -> 262          
p839.res:  Bascule                                                         
p840.res:  Bascule                                                         
p841.res:  Bascule                                     262 -> 265          
p842.res:  Bascule                                     265 -> 268          
p843.res:  Bascule                                     268 -> 271          
p844.res:  Bascule                                     271 -> 274          
p845.res:  Bascule                                     274 -> 277          
p846.res:  Bascule                                     277 -> 280          
p847.res:  Bascule                                     280 -> 283          
p848.res:  Bascule                                     283 -> 286          
Here is where I deducted the two points from Bascule, giving him his
current score of 284.

It is apparant that timing can be very important in issues such as this.
I feel that the only fair thing to do is correct the error and declare
Bascule the winner, unless it is found that someone else has already won
before Bascule.  

I'm going to rewrite the end of cycle rules now, so that this may be
clarified.

Wayne

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #41
******************************