Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #40
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, June 9 1996         Volume 01 : Number 040

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 2:52:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 848 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 848
  Proposal 848 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
  State Growth
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

6 YES votes   8 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -18 -> -28

6 YES votes:  3 points each
  ThinMan                                     227 -> 230          
  Niccolo Flychuck                            101 -> 104          
  Bascule                                     283 -> 286          
  Calvin N Hobbes                             -28 -> -25          
  Techno                 Underworld           262 -> 265          
  Wayne                  Underworld           232 -> 235          

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

1 PRESENT votes:
  /dev/joe               Foozball            

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  SnafuMoose                                  
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 23:14:00 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886

Oh, Malenkai,

You've outdone yourself this time.  That extra 2k that it took for the
Javascript must have really irked you.  Glad you didn't blow a gasket and
mention the soon-to-be-Dirty_Word.  As far as I'm concerned, an officer who
creates a web page as a service (especially one that is not reequired by
the rules) should have the right to ut whatever the hell he want's on that
page.  But if it makes you feel better, I am now removing all political
advertising from my page.

Vote no on 886, lest we begin to outlaw everything.

snowgod
Ambassador
CSRR
wearing a prosthetic forehead.

At 2:41 AM 6/9/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 886 - Sun Jun 09 02:41:33 EDT 1996
>Malenkai vs snowgod, Round IV
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
>
>No officer shall put, or allow to be put, any political advertising (in
>JavaScript or otherwise), on the WWW page they maintain in conjunction
>with the duties of that office.
>
>For the purposes of this rule, the rules needn't have dictated that an
>officer maintain a WWW page for it to be considered in "conjunction with
>the duties of that office". Ie, if an officer is voluntarily providing
>a page to the public as a service of the office, it counts (e.g., the
>Ambassador's Page).
>
>This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules that would allow
>such advertising in the content of these WWW pages. (e.g. Historian).
>
>[[offices, and the WWW pages they create, should be there as a service
>to Acka, not be soundboards for baud wasting, self-promotional,
>political advertising.]]

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 10:30:59 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Oh, Malenkai,
> 
> mention the soon-to-be-Dirty_Word.  As far as I'm concerned, an officer who
> creates a web page as a service (especially one that is not reequired by
> the rules) should have the right to ut whatever the hell he want's on that
> 
I tend with Malenkai on this one. It is true that Snowgod created eir
webpage as a service, but its use for political propaganda could easily
cause confusion between the useful service Snowgod performs, and his
politics.  However, rather than outlawing political propaganda, it would
be better to designate rules for propaganda. Players will still be able to
setup their own political web pages, but there should be no direct links
between pages pertaining different unrelated functions of the same player.
Further more, propaganda should be clearly marked as such, with a
distincitve, icon, phrase, background(?) etc. In addition,
some measures should be taken not to exclude those players who cannot set
up their own web pages, for either technical or financial reasons, yet to
still allow them to propangade.
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 23:38:39 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886

At 10:30 AM 6/9/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>> Oh, Malenkai,
>>
>> mention the soon-to-be-Dirty_Word.  As far as I'm concerned, an officer who
>> creates a web page as a service (especially one that is not reequired by
>> the rules) should have the right to ut whatever the hell he want's on that
>>
>I tend with Malenkai on this one. It is true that Snowgod created eir
>webpage as a service, but its use for political propaganda could easily
>cause confusion between the useful service Snowgod performs, and his
>politics.  However, rather than outlawing political propaganda, it would
>be better to designate rules for propaganda. Players will still be able to
>setup their own political web pages, but there should be no direct links
>between pages pertaining different unrelated functions of the same player.
>Further more, propaganda should be clearly marked as such, with a
>distincitve, icon, phrase, background(?) etc. In addition,
>some measures should be taken not to exclude those players who cannot set
>up their own web pages, for either technical or financial reasons, yet to
>still allow them to propangade.
>Nicolo Flychuck

I tend to agree with you Nicolo.  I would be all for a requirement that
prpaganda on web pages by marked as such.  As a matter of fact, if malenkai
withdrawls 886, and you submit your version, I would most likely vote for
it.  But I will not vote for 886.

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 03:08:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: VOTE!

This is just a reminder to all ackanomians out there that the election for
President (take 2) ends today, roughly 15 hours from the time I am sending
this.

                   Vote for /dev/joe for President

Send your vote to Mohammed ([email-masked]).

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:36:48 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 839 Passes

>   Proposal 839 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
>   Buildings
>   Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

> Proposal PASSES
> 
> All existing or new player shall be granted 1 kaa of urban land and a
> building of small size as legal residence (on the 1 urban kaa) when they
> join or this rule passes. All player should give a name to their residence.
> It is called "<player's name>'s house" until they do.

I hereby name my house "The Den of Iniquity".
If anyone fancies popping in one afternoon, all are
welcome. If you ring me first, I'll make sure I'm in,
and not down the Supreme Court or anything.

Bascule

 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:43:26 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: News

> this is not a name wrote:
> > 
> > Bascule (under the pseudonym of Ergates thi ant) wrote:
> > >this is not a name has called for a re-election, however the
> > >Speaker, Mohammed, is trying to ride out the political pressure,
> > >saying "I'm not willing to do that unless I am convinced that
> > >Calvin actually cast his votes during the Election". "I don't
> > >believe myself to have lost anything", he added.
> > 
> > Actually, this is not true. Mohammed called for the new election on his
> > own, and I had nothing to do with it.
> 
> Such is the nature of revisionist history and reporting in the 
> "Ackanomic Middle Ages".
> 
> Malenkai

Actually, it was just bad journalism. But there we are.
Perhaps a rule should be brought in to force newspapers
to publish error corrections.

Bascule

 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 19:28:02 BST
From: R Shaw <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 839 Passes 

- ----- Begin Included Message -----

From [email-masked] Sun Jun  9 07:46 BST 1996
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 839 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
Buildings
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

A building is an entity in Ackanomic which can be of six sizes:
  small (1 land unit)
  cosy (2 land units)
  classy (4 land units)
  lavish (6 land units)
  sumptuous (9 land units)
  extravagant (12 land units)

All existing or new player shall be granted 1 kaa of urban land and a
building of small size as legal residence (on the 1 urban kaa) when they
join or this rule passes. All player should give a name to their residence.
It is called "<player's name>'s house" until they do.

- ----- End Included Message -----

I name my residence 'Sherwood Castle'

 Robin Hood

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:54:36 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 839 Passes 

At 03:36 PM 09-06-96 +0000, Matt wrote:
>>   Proposal 839 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
>>   Buildings
>>   Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)
>
>> Proposal PASSES
>> 
>> All existing or new player shall be granted 1 kaa of urban land and a
>> building of small size as legal residence (on the 1 urban kaa) when they
>> join or this rule passes. All player should give a name to their residence.
>> It is called "<player's name>'s house" until they do.
>
>I hereby name my house "The Den of Iniquity".
>If anyone fancies popping in one afternoon, all are
>welcome. If you ring me first, I'll make sure I'm in,
>and not down the Supreme Court or anything.

We name our house "Culzean Castle" (prn: kul-een)
After a famous castle in Scotland.

CnH and Ycnega

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:04:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

> The creation of points is clearly a regulated activity. But the transfer 
> of points from one player to another, which is what this is, is not 
> clearly regulated or unregulated. The issue is not as clear-cut as 
> Malenkai seems to think it is.
	I was not in the game when Judgement 113 was handed down.
	It was my opinion upon reading it for the first time that the
whole idea of regulation applies to processes, not things.  That is,
"Regulation of the Sale of Cabbages" is correct, whereas "Regulation of
Cabbages" would not be.  J113 did not decide this matter, and perhaps it
is time someone did....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:05:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Win

I steal as many of Bascules points as is necessary to get exactly 257.  
Therefore I win (because the stealing of points is not regulated by any 
rule.)

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:51:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

*grin*
> >Where do you find the distinction that makes taking points without
> >permission any more or less legal than giving points voluntarily?  They
> >seem to have the same legal status to me.  You might claim they were both
> >legal (although I think you'd be wrong), or both illegal, but to claim one
> >is illegal but not the other seems like wishful thinking at best.
> 
> This is based on the game custom that, as in the Financial Market, both 
> parties to an agreement must agree in order for it to occur. [...]
	Yeah.  Wishful thinking.  :o)

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:12:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 883

> Proposal 883 - Sat Jun 08 00:44:43 EDT 1996
> The Return of the Rule Ripper
> /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
	Great stuff.  It's got my vote.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:38:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886

> I tend to agree with you Nicolo.  I would be all for a requirement that
> prpaganda on web pages by marked as such.
	That's camel waste.  The way to solve this problem is to say,
"snowgod, if you don't get all the propaganda off your web page within the
next 24 hours, I'm submitting an IP against you."

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:40:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Win

> I steal as many of Bascules points as is necessary to get exactly 257.  
> Therefore I win (because the stealing of points is not regulated by any 
> rule.)
	Oh well, someone beat me to it.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:46:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate Election Results

> I suggest that Speaker Mohammed may wish to appoint snowgod to fill the
> acting Senator position that I currently hold in addition to my actual
> Senate seat.
	Good.  snowgod is appointed to replace chess piece face as acting
Senator while cpf is on vacation. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:50:51 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P839

I'm not sure if we know if this is a rule or a proposal.
I guess it partially does not matter.

Malenkai

>   Proposal 839 - Sat Jun 01 11:16:21 EDT 1996
>   Buildings
>   Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

> Proposal PASSES
> 
> All existing or new player shall be granted 1 kaa of urban land and a
> building of small size as legal residence (on the 1 urban kaa) when 
they
> join or this rule passes. All player should give a name to their 
residence.
> It is called "<player's name>'s house" until they do.

I hereby name my house "The Den of Iniquity".
If anyone fancies popping in one afternoon, all are
welcome. If you ring me first, I'll make sure I'm in,
and not down the Supreme Court or anything.

Bascule

 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:51:44 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P839

Sorry, rule or resolution.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:03:45 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

Well, I see with the bribing of Tammany, and the Underworld Unity vote,
and several tries, snowgod and his "pro Gnome" faction finally got
rid of "Hungry, Silly, and Poisonous", shortly after they all voted
for it. At least it wasn't my money.

It just goes to show how unsafe the CSRR is...

I must point out that if cash, bonds, or artifacts were
transferred to the Underworld party for this vote, then
those transactions must be made public on the FM.

My only suprise is /dev/joe's vote, who has recently submitted
anti-Gnome legislation of his own. Was there bribery here to, or
are we electing a president who doesn't have a stand on the
issues ? :)

Malenkai

Here are the voting results for : 836
  Proposal 836 - Sat Jun 01 10:58:16 EDT 1996
  Preserve Delightful Idiosyncrasies

Proposal PASSES

12 YES votes:  
                           
  Tammany                                                         
  Underworld Unity vote                                            

Repeal rule 692.

[[

Rule 692/1 (Mutable)
Hungry, silly, and poisonous
Malenkai (Randy Hall)
]]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:10:52 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Acka: I win

>I steal as many of Bascules points as is necessary to get exactly 257.
>Therefore I win (because the stealing of points is not regulated by 
any rule.)

>--Mohammed

Wayne has already done this. If that action was legal, then Wayne has
won, a new cycle has started, and you and Bascule will not have enough
points between yourselves for 257.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 16:32:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  three new Blueprints

I just now made these up, so they're pretty unevenly proofread.  But I 
hope you enjoy them.

Blueprint:  Pyraic Frobnotzer
=====
A Pyraic Frobnotzer has two nodes (positive and negative.)  They are made 
of titanium (+) and green jumblium (-), and never wear out.

The owner of a Pyraic Frobnotzer may attach one of its nodes to any noun
phrase anywhere in the rule set, by announcing the action publicly.  The
identity of the noun phrase in question must be clear and unconditional,
though.  This can be done repeatedly, and a node can be moved from one 
noun phrase to another in this way.

The owner of a Pyraic Frobnotzer may also set it off by announcing that 
action publicly-- unless the Pyraic Frobnotzer is broken.  When a Pyraic 
Frobnotzer is set off, it starts to hum.  It will stop humming the next 
time it is broken or destroyed.

When a Pyraic Frobnotzer has been humming for five days, the following
happens:  If the Pyraic Frobnotzer's two nodes are attached to two
noun phrases which are both plural or both singular, then those two noun
phrases trade location within the rule set, and the Pyraic Frobnotzer is 
destroyed in a magnificent gout of golden flame.  Otherwise, the Pyraic 
Frobnotzer chokes, sputters, whines, and dies; it is then broken (and 
stops humming).

When a Pyraic Frobnotzer is first created, it is not broken. 
=====

Blueprint:  Scroll of Crumble
=====
The owner of a Scroll of Crumble may Read it by announcing its text (which
the player may make up) publicly.  Upon doing so that player must indicate
some existing gadget.  That gadget is then destroyed.  If the gadget was
indestructible, three points are deducted from the score of the Scroll of
Crumble's owner.  Lastly, if the Scroll of Crumble still exists, it is
destroyed, too.
=====

Blueprint:  Plunky Monkey Wrench
=====
The owner of a Plunky Monkey Wrench may throw it into any other gadget that 
can be broken, by publicly announcing the action.  However, the identity 
of the targeted (breakable) gadget must be clear and unconditional.  When 
this happens, the other gadget is broken, and the Plunky Monkey Wrench is 
destroyed.

The owner of a Plunky Monkey Wrench may also use it to try to fix a broken
gadget, if he or she has enough money.  To do this, the player must 
announce the attempt publicly, name the broken gadget he or she is trying to 
fix (this gadget must be identified clearly and unconditionally), and
announce his willingness to pay A$15 to the Treasury for the chance.  
When all three conditions have been met and the Plunky Monkey Wrench's 
owner has at least A$15, A$15 is transferred from the player's ownership 
to the Treasury.  Then, there are two possibilities:  the gadget is 
fixed (i.e. it is no longer broken), or nothing happens.  The likelyhood 
that the gadget is fixed is 1/3.  The likelyhood that nothing happens is 
2/3.  (The Inventor may sort this out, according to any applicable rules.)
=====

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 13:39:42 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

At 2:03 PM 6/9/96, Randy Hall wrote:
>Well, I see with the bribing of Tammany, and the Underworld Unity vote,
>and several tries, snowgod and his "pro Gnome" faction finally got
>rid of "Hungry, Silly, and Poisonous", shortly after they all voted
>for it. At least it wasn't my money.
>
>It just goes to show how unsafe the CSRR is...

The CSRR had nothing to do with repealing hungry silly and poinsonous.
Matter of fact, I had nothing to do withi it, except for casting my one yes
vote.  I wasn't responsible for any bribes, or the proposal.  If your going
to cast an allegation against my office, at least toss out something
remotely related to my office.

>My only suprise is /dev/joe's vote, who has recently submitted
>anti-Gnome legislation of his own. Was there bribery here to, or
>are we electing a president who doesn't have a stand on the
>issues ? :)

The Gnomic Wars heat up again.... Let's save our little Gnome Buddy.  Let
the little guy have some power.

snowgod
Ambassador
CSRR
Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forhead

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 17:58:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 890

Proposal 890 - Sun Jun 09 17:58:57 EDT 1996
There's more to voting than proposals
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

This proposal will create a resolution that reads:

We the citizens of Ackanomic, apologise to the candidates for all of the
offices in the recently held elections.  We know that our votes, would we
have cast them, are valuable and could possibly have changed the election
results for any one candidate.

In the future, we promise to be more faithful voters.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 17:59:20 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 891

Proposal 891 - Sun Jun 09 17:59:20 EDT 1996
The Press
Bascule  (Matt Black)

Any player may start a newspaper, by publically declaring
that they are doing so. Newspapers must be given names,
which must be announced at the same time that the newspaper
is created. A small fee of A$20 must be paid to the treasury
to cover start-up costs.

The player that creates a newspaper is said to own that
newspaper. No player may own more than three newspapers at
any one time. Newspapers may be traded among players. An
owner of a newspaper may close it down by publically
announcing that he is doing so. In this case, that newspaper
is said to have "gone bust" and no longer exists.

News articles may be posted by the owner of a newspaper,
quoting the of name of the newspaper in the article. Such
an article is said to have been published in that newspaper.

No player may publish articles in a paper she does not own 
without the express permission of the owner. 

News articles may be published without reference to a specific
newspaper. Such articles are said to be the work of the 
Underground Press, or Samizdat organisations. 

Journalistic pseudonyms are permitted.

Newspapers are protected entities.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 17:59:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 892

Proposal 892 - Sun Jun 09 17:59:35 EDT 1996
Journalistic Integrity
Bascule  (Matt Black)

This rule defers to any other rule that defines a complaints
procedure about news articles, especially if that rule refers
to a Press Ombudsman.

If a newspaper publishes an article containing any statement
that another player considers to be untrue, that player may
ask for a correction to be published in the same newspaper.
The player must voice her objection publically within a week
of the article being published.

If a correction is not published by the newspaper within a
week of the complaint being made, or if the complainant is 
not satisfied with the correction, then she may make a 
Call for Criminal Judgement against the owner of the
offending newspaper.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 96 17:59:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 893

Proposal 893 - Sun Jun 09 17:59:55 EDT 1996
Zap!
  ( )

This rule has retroactive application. It holds precedence over R106
and any other mutable rule which would prevent it from having such. It
shall be retroactive to June 9, 1996, 1700 hrs New York Time.

Prosthetic Foreheads have the following properties:
 
Prosthetic Foreheads are difficult to remove. In fact, it takes 10 days
from the day it is publically announced by the wearer of such an item
that he or she is removing it for it to actually be removed. Therefore,
if a player announces the removal of a Prosthetic Forehead after the
effective date of this rule, it shall be removed 10 days later.

Prosthetic Foreheads are electrically charged. In fact, they will zap
their wearer for 3 points every day that they are worn. The scorekeeper
is required to make such change daily to the wearer's of the Foreheads
scores, and announce the results; and make any appropriate retroactive
adjustments to wearer's scores, and announce the results.

This rule takes precedence over any mutable rule which would deny the
scorekeeper such duties. This rule takes precedence over R818.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:07:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Inventor - new Potato coming up

I'm announcing that I'm beginning work on a new Electronic Potato.  Yum!
It will be finished Wednesday, at about 5 PM, at which time the auction
will start.  So loosen up your quill pens, and ready your hard-earned
Ackadollars-- because the Inventor can help you turn talent into big 
bucks, but he won't take Ackanomian Express.

> Blueprint:  Electronic Potato
>
> Whenever a proposal submitted by the owner of an Electronic Potato is
> accepted, that Potato transfers two AckaDollars from the Treasury to the
> Potato's owner. 

- --Mohammed, Inventor

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:08:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 890

> Proposal 890 - Sun Jun 09 17:58:57 EDT 1996
> There's more to voting than proposals
> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
	What is this trash?  No more proposals that parse to nulls, 
please!

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:14:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  CFJ 183

Call for Judgement 183
  Subject:  Supreme Court finalization
Initiator:  Bascule
    Judge:  Brinjal (selected at 1743h on 9 June 1996)

Statement:
> Bascule is now a Justice of the Supreme Court.

- --Mohammed, exhausted CotC

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:22:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (elections, take 2)

The votes for President are in (again).  They are:

this is not a name:
	snowgod
	this is not a name
	Mohammed
	Bascule
	mr cwm

/dev/joe:
	Calvin N Hobbes
	/dev/joe
	De'ghew
	ThinMan
	Malenkai
	Niccolo Flychuck

If I missed anyone's vote, speak now or forever hold your peace.  Until 
the next angry response at least, /dev/joe is the President of 
Ackanomic.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:28:07 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 893

At 5:59 PM 6/9/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 893 - Sun Jun 09 17:59:55 EDT 1996
>Zap!
>  ( )

Obviously, the [anonymous] player who proposed this does not know the joy
of wearing  prosthetic forehead.  I wear my forehead for fashion, not for
profit, or power, and am angry that someone wishes to remove my forehead
from me.

If this proposal passes, say hello to the new gnome buddy.

snowgod
CSRR
Ambassador
Acting-Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehad

- -

To see snowgod's new prosthetic forehead visit:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/head.html

To visit the Ambassador's page goto:
http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/ambas.html

At any time that I am online, you may telnet to my computer by entering
this URL:
telnet://snowgod.alaska.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:38:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

> Well, I see with the bribing of Tammany, and the Underworld Unity vote,
> and several tries, snowgod and his "pro Gnome" faction finally got
> rid of "Hungry, Silly, and Poisonous", shortly after they all voted
> for it. At least it wasn't my money.

> My only suprise is /dev/joe's vote, who has recently submitted
> anti-Gnome legislation of his own. Was there bribery here to, or
> are we electing a president who doesn't have a stand on the
> issues ? :)

Actually, I do have a stand on the issues.  I'm in favor of eliminating
needless or troublesome rules from the rule set.  "Hungry ..." was not
needed; Voting Gnome is troublesome (because in some situations, when
the scores are not certain, we might not know who controls the gnome,
and that could affect whether or not proposals pass, making even more
confusion in the scores).  Note that repealing the rule about the Voting
Gnome will not make the gnome cease to exist (per CFJ 167), but this
will take away its right to vote.

I have been considering forming a political party.  Currently I'm the
one non-vacationing member of the Foozball party; my ideas about the game
are not what they were when I joined Foozball, so I will probably leave
Foozball and start a new party, which might be called the No Crap party.

Anyone interested in joining No Crap should send me email at
  [email-masked]

One last thing: Effective immediately, the Foozball party is changing its
name to:
                             Permanent Vacation

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:45:28 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

>The CSRR had nothing to do with repealing hungry silly and poinsonous.
>Matter of fact, I had nothing to do withi it, except for casting
>my one yes vote.  I wasn't responsible for any bribes, or the
>proposal.  If your going to cast an allegation against my office,
>at least toss out something remotely related to my office.

I was alluding to the fact that any rule can be repealed (CSRR), with
enough tries, bribes, rhetoric, and connections, therefore the CSRR
is not safe. Watch were you tread, because we surely are...

I hereby give my Golden Frog to snowgod, by R115.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:56:21 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P893

>Proposal 893 - Sun Jun 09 17:59:55 EDT 1996
>Zap!
>  ( )

I must admit that this is my work. It seems possible that Wayne has an
automatic script that picks up on the "from" field of the e-mail. As
my ISP has been toast, I have been using an alternate account with
an address of [email-masked] until I change for real.

Assume any other proposals with () as the author are mine as well. They
are Map, Map-Harfer, and Universal Nomic.

I will try not to submit others until I get the ISP thing sorted out,
if it is causing problems. Anyway, we're due for a Festival. Better get
a transmutation of R106 back to Immutable before that...

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 14:57:32 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic: Golden Frog 

I thank malenkai for the Golden Frog, he shall be a valuable friend.

Upon recieving the Golden Frog, he began speaking to me.

"snowgod," he said, " Contrary to R729, The earth is not flat.  The earth
is indeed round.  You must make it your mission to go forth into the land
of Ackanomic, and proclaim this fact from the highest mountain, should such
a thing exist!"

"No!" I said, "The earth is flat, and you cannot make me believe otherwise!"

After that I realized the dangers of possesing a golden frog, and I pass it
back to Malenkai.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:29:50 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Gnome Power

This is the 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:31:54 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Gnome Power

This is your Voting Gnome.  I've been informed that certain players are making moves to eliminate me.  I resent this.  Let it be known that, I, the Voting Gnome, formerly the Fishing Gnome, cannot be killed so easily.  Sure, you may take way my right to vote, see if I care.

As of right now, I am declaring my intent to enter te game of Ackanomic as a player.

Transmission Complete - The Voting Gnome!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:42:43 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 886 

At 03:38 PM 09/06/96 -0500, Mohammed wrote:
>> I tend to agree with you Nicolo.  I would be all for a requirement that
>> prpaganda on web pages by marked as such.
>	That's camel waste.  The way to solve this problem is to say,
>"snowgod, if you don't get all the propaganda off your web page within the
>next 24 hours, I'm submitting an IP against you."
>
>--Mohammed
>
>
Propaganda has a usefule role in politics. However, news, or services
masquarading as propaganda are not part of proper procedure.
1. Propaganda should be allowed, however, it must completely seperate from
web pages that are associated with a player's role as an officer.
2. They must be clearly marked as such
3. I hereby make a public request to snowgod to remove all propaganda from
eir webpage, even though there are no rules concerning propaganda at the
moment. At least out of courtesy.
I'll be submitting a proposal shortly
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 18:47:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: President

> If I missed anyone's vote, speak now or forever hold your peace.  Until 
> the next angry response at least, /dev/joe is the President of 
> Ackanomic.

OK, to follow tradition, my term as President began at 6 PM CDT on
Sunday, June 9, 1996, and it shall run until 6 PM CDT, Sunday,
August 4, 1996.

Due to the current Chaos, I will put off awarding Blue Crosses for a short
while.  We currently have an amendment to the Blue Cross rule up for a vote,
and 3 proposals which have passed but we don't know yet if they created
new rules or resoltuions.

I urge the players selected as judges for important CFJ's to return their
verdicts quickly, but do take care to examine to rules, game custom, etc.
fully.  These CFJ's are outstanding:

164: The Speaker and the Voters (appealed to Supreme Court)
176: Paradox (last CFJ on The Great Old One's win attempt) (Niccolo Flychuck)
178: Resolutions (appealed to Supreme Court)
180: Prosthetic Forehead Power (Robin Hood)
92.9...: No Creativity (about trading points) (Niccolo Flychuck)
183: Supreme Court finalization (Brinjal)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:45:13 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Gnome Power 

At 03:31 PM 09/06/96 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>This is your Voting Gnome.  I've been informed that certain players are
making moves to eliminate me.  I resent this.  Let it be known that, I, the
Voting Gnome, formerly the Fishing Gnome, cannot be killed so easily.  Sure,
you may take way my right to vote, see if I care.
>
>As of right now, I am declaring my intent to enter te game of Ackanomic as
a player.
>
>Transmission Complete - The Voting Gnome!
>
>
Ambassador, Nicolo Flychuck is not amused by this.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:03:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: "Gnome Power"

Forwarded message:
> From [email-masked] Sun Jun  9 18:34:39 1996
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:31:54 -0800
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Hmm, which of our players hails from alaska.net?

> Subject: Gnome Power
> Apparently-To: [email-masked]
> 
> This is your Voting Gnome. 

[excess deleted]

Snowgod, please stop this before I have to take action against you
for doing this.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 17:10:47 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: P836

>Actually, I do have a stand on the issues.  I'm in favor of
>eliminating needless or troublesome rules from the rule set.
>"Hungry ..." was not needed; Voting Gnome is troublesome (because
>in some situations, when the scores are not certain ...

Rules like "Hungry..." are not needless, they are fun, at least
in terms of the banter between snowgod and myself that it
generated, and as part of the "gnomic wars". If none of this is
fun for observers, or the majority, then /dev/joe has a point.
Gumball is the same thing. It was a totally needless rule, but
these kind of touches make me want to fight my ISP every day.

As for the Gnome, it is indeed troublesome, as is R115 and many
others. I'd rather have the Gnome than R106 as mutable, that can
cause more trouble than you can dream of! There's a reason those
low number rules were made Immutable to start with, and its scary
playing god and tinkering with them.

But back to trouble. Troublesome situations are another fun enhaning
element of the game. I'm not sure what we're playing, or what we're
building if we don't like "Snags and Snarls". We have no goal, so
the goal in my mind is to enjoy the diversity of rules, and untangle
us from the snarls they sometimes create. 

My personal belief is that a diversity of rules is most enjoyable.
Fun, serious, constructive, bogus, those that hose snowgod,
playful, etc. I personally do not like the "Rule Rippers" and the
CSRR because they clean out some of the charm of the original
author's work, authors who spent alot of time on them. The rules
are more of an alive document that way. We could rewrite MacBeth
as "King gets hosed". Anyway, that is what voting is for.   

>I have been considering forming a political party which might
>be called the No Crap party.

Which doesn't mean I'm ready to form the Crap party in response.
(boy, I seem to be on the other side of the ideaological wall from
everyone). My anti-efficiency arguments have been made previously.
I am not a "pro-Crap" player, just a "pro-interesting" player.

(in good fun)

Malenkai

PS. For more insight into my ideaology in this regard, or for a great
read besides, read Jack L. Chalker's "Saga of Well World".

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #40
******************************