Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #37
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, June 8 1996        Volume 01 : Number 037

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:50:34 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Disc: Proposal 866 

[P866:]
>>>>A new rule shall be created with the following text:
>>>>--
>>>>If the score of any player becomes greater than the magic number, then the
>>>>magic number shall be increased by 16, or to 11 points above the highest
>>>>player score, whichever is greater.
>>>>--

[Nicolo Flychuck:]
>>>I think this needs to have some uppoer limit. This could easily get out of
>hand.

[ThinMan:]
>>One could always adopt a resolution to reduce the magic number.  Capping this
>>increase would potentially defeat the purpose.  Moreover, the current rules
>>already allow for unlimited increase of the magic number; how is this
>>different?
>>
>>If this leads to long cycles then so be it.  We appear to be having extremely
>>short cycles right now.

[Nicolo:]
>I'm all for lengthening the cycles.  They are too short. But the above
>solution would just have the Magic Number spiraling up, potentially infinitely.

As I said, there already is that possibility.  So what?  I don't actually see
that happening, but If it becomes a problem then it is well within the
players' power to fix the situation.

>I don't see how a resolution could change this, perhpas you mean propose a
>rule. Since resolutions have no effect. 

Wrong.  Resolutions cannot modify the rule set, but otherwise they can have
wide-reaching effect.  From Rule 663: "If a Resolution is adopted, the effect
described by the resolution shall occur [...]."

>If this goes through, and my Power Cards (under whatever new name  I might
>give them, now that Power is back in discussion) also passes, I might
>propose, a rather rare Card for lowering the Magic Number, with some
>restritcions of course.
>Something along the lines
>There  may no be no more than one in existence at given time. 
>The card self- destructs three weeks after it's created. It reduces the
>Magic Number by X points ( an actual proposal would include a value for X,
>say like 50 ), as long as it the result does not equal a player's current score.

That sounds interesting.  I'm all for a game of "Follow the Bouncing Magic
Number."

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 15:06:36 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

>If anyone still has a copy of the Governor's message about leaving the game,
>it would be helpful. While not absolutely necessarily for this judegment, it
>would help tie things up nicely.
>Perhaps /dev/joe

I have the following (private) message from him, which quotes the 
relevant part of his leaving-the-game message:

Subject:     Score
Sent:        5/21/96 9:23 PM
Received:    5/21/96 10:17 PM
From:        Dan Marsh, [email-masked]
To:          this is not a name, [email-masked]

At 04:17 PM 5/18/96 -0400, I wrote:

>So, the following:  I donate all of my Ackadollars to Mohammed.  I donate all 
>of my PFBonds to Malenkai, and let him sort out what happens to them after I 
>leave.  Any other ackaentities or offices I have, that I've forgotten about, 
I 
>give to, hmm, "this is not a name".  And, I hereby leave the game.

Although I'm not back, it just occurred to me that my score could be
considered to be an ackaentity.  Claim it.

Dan Marsh                                                  
[email-masked]
for Kent County Commission, District 17              Grand Rapids, 
Michigan
"Government doesn't work.  The only way we can bring back the inner city 
is
 to do it ourselves.  My job is to make sure that's possible."  --Dan 
Marsh

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
    "Truth is on the march; nothing can stop it now." --Emile Zola
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 15:09:38 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

Wayne writes:
>OK, I'll try winning the game now, just to show how your arguments are
>incorrect.  Since transfers of points between players is not regulated,
>I hearby declare that I am transferring 46 points from this is not a name
>to myself.

You can't take my points without my permission. But, I hereby give Wayne 
5 points. That might be legal. Wayne's seizure of my points certainly 
wasn't. But The Governor, upon leaving the game, gave me his points. The 
total number of points in the game remained constant.

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"Was it you or your brother who was killed in the war?"
                                       --William Spooner
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

I thought about this a while ago, but thought I'd misremembered the
message.  Even assuming it's legal, which I think is unlikely although it
is propobably worth going through with this to get it straightened out
once and for all, do you (this is not a name) really want The Governor's
SCORE, that is, do you want your score to be 61?  Previously, you seem to
have been claiming his POINTS, a claim this message does not support at
all. 

- -mr cwm

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> 
> I have the following (private) message from him, which quotes the 
> relevant part of his leaving-the-game message:
> 
> Subject:     Score
> Sent:        5/21/96 9:23 PM
> Received:    5/21/96 10:17 PM
> From:        Dan Marsh, [email-masked]
> To:          this is not a name, [email-masked]
> 
> At 04:17 PM 5/18/96 -0400, I wrote:
> 
> >So, the following:  I donate all of my Ackadollars to Mohammed.  I donate all 
> >of my PFBonds to Malenkai, and let him sort out what happens to them after I 
> >leave.  Any other ackaentities or offices I have, that I've forgotten about, 
> I 
> >give to, hmm, "this is not a name".  And, I hereby leave the game.
> 
> Although I'm not back, it just occurred to me that my score could be
> considered to be an ackaentity.  Claim it.
> 
> Dan Marsh                                                  
> [email-masked]
> for Kent County Commission, District 17              Grand Rapids, 
> Michigan
> "Government doesn't work.  The only way we can bring back the inner city 
> is
>  to do it ourselves.  My job is to make sure that's possible."  --Dan 
> Marsh
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 15:39:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> 
> You can't take my points without my permission. But, I hereby give Wayne 
> 5 points. That might be legal. Wayne's seizure of my points certainly 
> wasn't. But The Governor, upon leaving the game, gave me his points. The 
> total number of points in the game remained constant.
> 

Where do you find the distinction that makes taking points without
permission any more or less legal than giving points voluntarily?  They
seem to have the same legal status to me.  You might claim they were both
legal (although I think you'd be wrong), or both illegal, but to claim one
is illegal but not the other seems like wishful thinking at best.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 16:53:08 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

>Where do you find the distinction that makes taking points without
>permission any more or less legal than giving points voluntarily?  They
>seem to have the same legal status to me.  You might claim they were both
>legal (although I think you'd be wrong), or both illegal, but to claim one
>is illegal but not the other seems like wishful thinking at best.
>
>-mr cwm

This is based on the game custom that, as in the Financial Market, both 
parties to an agreement must agree in order for it to occur. (I realize 
that points are not covered by the Financial Market, nor are there any 
other rules dealing with transfer of points.)

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
       The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 16:55:41 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Senate Election Results

I have received 5 votes for the Senate Seat B:

ThinMan - 3 votes
	Mohammed
	/dev/joe
	ThinMan

snowgod - 2 votes
	snowgod
	this is not a name

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:12:10 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i 

this is not a name wrote:
>>Where do you find the distinction that makes taking points without
>>permission any more or less legal than giving points voluntarily?  They
>>seem to have the same legal status to me.  You might claim they were both
>>legal (although I think you'd be wrong), or both illegal, but to claim one
>>is illegal but not the other seems like wishful thinking at best.
>>
>>-mr cwm
>
>This is based on the game custom that, as in the Financial Market, both 
>parties to an agreement must agree in order for it to occur. (I realize 
>that points are not covered by the Financial Market, nor are there any 
>other rules dealing with transfer of points.)

That's thin.  Very thin.  Thinner than me, even.
I am not convinced.

ThinMan

Financier
Senate Candidate
Acting Senator

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 17:13:22 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Discussion: Apathy

What is happening?

5 people voted for the senate. About 10 or 11 people voted for the other 
offices. I think there are 15 to 20 players who are not on vacation.

For the people who didn't vote: did you not know about the elections? did 
you not care? were you unable to select one candidate over another?

Congratulations to ThinMan and condolences to snowgod.

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
       Bend a carrot if you will, but a turnip will never bend.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:50:36 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate Election Results

At 4:55 PM 6/7/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>I have received 5 votes for the Senate Seat B:
>
>ThinMan - 3 votes
>        Mohammed
>        /dev/joe
>        ThinMan
>
>snowgod - 2 votes
>        snowgod
>        this is not a name

Congratulations to ThinMan.  I think he'll make a good senator for seat B.

One question though... Why didn't more people vote.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:55:56 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate Election Results 

I suggest that Speaker Mohammed may wish to appoint snowgod to fill the
acting Senator position that I currently hold in addition to my actual
Senate seat.

Good race, snowgod.  Sorry I had to beat you by 20% of the vote.  :)

Senator ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 14:04:33 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Irony of Proposal Retraction

I apologise to ThinMan and Bascule for my mistake, but i still love this
crazy game-activity....

snowgod

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:32:58 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official (election results) 

>do you
>want me to hand /dev/joe the Presidency based on the meager chance that
>something went horribly wrong?

NO! Stick to your original message saying a new election was held. Your last
message seem to put that fact in doubt. Yet I see this one confirms it.

>	I mean, go ahead and be angry, but what do you want me to -do-?

Just keep the new election for prez going. Everthing else seems to be a-ok.

>	I'm going to send everyone an acknowledgement of his vote, private
>mail.  Look for yours.  If you don't get one, something's wrong. 

Super idea. Thanks.

Ycnega.
No! CnH.
No! Ycnega.
No! CnH...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 18:33:52 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Senate Election Results

Phil Ackley wrote:
 
> One question though... Why didn't more people vote.

One reason may be that the senate doesn't do anything.

Be that as it may, I did vote for ThinMan, but my vote got
lost. I am having incredible misluck on email getting lost.
Snail Mail nomic anyone :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:38:49 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Clerk of the Courts 

>Actually, I think it might lead to conflicts of interest. Nothing 
>personal against Malenkai, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a 
>Justice to be CotC.
>
>I volunteer for CotC.
>
>this is not a name
>Possible President
>Historian
>File Clerk

Calm down, relax. This is the summer, don't overwork by getting all the jobs
in Acka!
Just a gross exageration.

Know the story about the dog that tried to run after two rabbits at once?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 18:48:57 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Clerk of the Courts

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> Mohammed writes:
> >I resign my Seat as Clerk of the Courts.
> >
> 
> Actually, I think it might lead to conflicts of interest. Nothing
> personal against Malenkai, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a
> Justice to be CotC.
> 

I volunteer for the position of Clerk of the Courts. I assure you there
is no conflict of interest between distributing CFJs and working with
Bascule on the Supreme Court. If there is, I'd like to hear it.

I have dedicated my entire Ackanomic life to improving the Justice
System, and have made Objectivity my cornerstone. I will run an efficient
CotC with improved turnaround. 

Let the Appointer read my CFJ decisions and the Supreme Court appellate
decisions, CFJs, and proposals. I will rest on my record.

Nothing against this is not a name, but he has several offices already,
which will demand alot of work. All of my work is with the rules and
the Justice System, and the Supreme Court duty is not that taxing, in terms
of time. I urge the appointer to not spread this is not a name's
duties too far, and select Malenkai for CotC. I'd rather see his talents
used for the History page, not clerical work.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 02:32:00 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i 

Thanks to everyone, /dev/joe, and this ins not a name, who provided me with
the necessary information. I will also take into consideration some the
various opinion and interpretation presented by my fellow ackacitizens.
However, first and foremost before my eyes are the rules. I believe I now
have all the necessary information to consider this case and pass Judgement
on it.

Nicolo Flychuck

vote yes for proposal 862

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Jun 1996 02:31:54 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Disc: Proposal 866 

At 01:50 PM 07/06/96 -0500 , John Bollinger  wrote:

[discussion snipped]
>
>That sounds interesting.  I'm all for a game of "Follow the Bouncing Magic
>Number."
>
>
>ThinMan
>
>
OK. I'm convinced that the immediate benefits far outweigh any potential
problems, none of which are very serious anyway.  I'm gonna vote Yes.
I think I was concerned because we have a tendency to pass proposales that
later everyone ends up complaining about.
(Prosthetic Foreheads appears to be one of them. I think that the set of
Gaol proposal, may be destined to be another.)
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 20:08:34 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Disc: Proposal 866

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> At 01:50 PM 07/06/96 -0500 , John Bollinger  wrote: 
> I think that the set of Gaol proposal, may be destined to be another.

Hey, leave my wonderful Gaol proposals alone. There's only one egg I know
of, and old, rickety Gaols were meant for Gaolbreaks... :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:54:13 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Randy Hall)
Subject: Ackanomic: Official

From Malenkai:

My ISP decided to move this weekend. They also decided that they didn't
need working modems for their customers, nor a working link to the
'net. They also decided they did not need technical support, or even
an answering machine. We live in barbaric times. Would that the
"bandwidth explosion" and digital modems (not ISDN) occur in my
lifetime.

Anyway, please send any bounced mail to [email-masked]. I'll get all
non-bounced mail eventually. /dev/joe, could you please add
[email-masked] to the main majoromo server. Sorry for the
inconvience, I'll try to get this cleaned up quickly.

Its an exciting time in Acka. I don't want to miss it.

Thanks,
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:40:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 875

Proposal 875 - Sat Jun 08 00:40:15 EDT 1996
By reference, not by value
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

R 678, "Quoting rules to repeal", is hereby repealed.

[[

My reasoning is:

1) Rules can change while a proposal is in the queue to repeal it. (eg,
on my previous proposal, "Self Deleting Text", which repeals "Resolutions").
Quoting the rule text, then, in that proposal, can lead to a
misrepresentation of what the rule being repealed, actually says, if this
happens. In other words, I'd rather refer to rules by reference instead
of by value.

2) We have a Web-Harfer again, so this need has diminished.

3) Most of us know the rules by title (reference).

4) It saves the Dirty Word.  

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rule 678/1 (Mutable)
Quoting rules to Repeal
snowgod (Phil Ackley)

      Any proposal to repeal another rule is required to contain the text of 
the rule it repeals. 

]]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:42:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 876

Proposal 876 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
This Prop Is A Power-Up!
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

The President and Senate may each make any two proposal dormant per week.
Also, the President and Senate can each make any one dormant proposals awake
per week.

These actions are considered as actions/privileges of those offices.

By a week, it means from Monday to Sunday. That means (for example) that the
president can't make two proposals dormant on Monday and two on Tuesday,
claiming the new week starts on Tuesday.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:42:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 877

Proposal 877 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
Title: Clans
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

There shall be three clans in Ackanomic, as listed below. No player may
belong to more than one clan simultaneously. No player can be expelled from
a clan by any other player(s) or through any other rules.

The Aelhii Clan members are called Aelhas (sng: Aelhai). This clan is
traditionally one of scientist and religious figures. It can be referred to
as the Wisemen Clan.

The Kh'mor Clan members are called Khemors (sng: Khemor). This can is
traditionally one of warriors and leaders. It can be referred to as the
Warrior Clan.

The Lothlien Clan members are called Lothlins (sng: Lothlin). This clan is
traditionally one of artists, writers and poets. It can be referred to as
the Wonderer Clan.

>From the time this proposal passes, current players will have three days to
pick on a clan of their choosing (players on vacation will have the full 3
days from the day they get back).

Any player that is clanless for more than three days (this includes all
players) will be put in the clan with fewest members. If all or some are
equal, then it will be decided randomly. The speaker is in charge of this
random assignment.

If a clan already has more than one half of all players in acka as members,
then no one else may join that clan. A player may resign from her clan.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:43:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 879

Proposal 879 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
Everything's Up For Sale.
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Points may be bought, sold or exchanged for other points, currency or other
asset on the FM as per the rules of the FM regulating such transactions.

A transaction is not allowed if the person receiving or donating the points
would have a winning score as a result of that transaction, or if the
transaction meant one or all of the players concerned would end up with a
negative number of points.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:43:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 878

Proposal 878 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
Clans Are Blood-Friends
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

When a proposal passes, the members of the author's clan will each earn an
of points, based on how many players are in the other two clans. That is,
there will be as many extra points available to share between as there are
players in the other two clans. This number will be divided by the number in
the author's clan, then rounded down and awarded to each of the members that
clan.

If there are no clans this rule is dormant.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:43:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 881

Proposal 881 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
Clans and the Senate
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

No clan may have more than two Senators, only one may have exactly two. This
does not count the Proconsul. No Clan may have two Justices.

If there are no clans this rule is dormant.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:43:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 880

Proposal 880 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
New Organization: Ackae
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

An new organization will be created with the following charter.
At the time the organization is created, the ackanomic player known as Chess
Piece Face is the Doyen of Ackae.

(1) Definition Of Ackae.
Ackae is a voluntary association of players that are registered in any game
that claims a Nomic-like heritage. Members are Ackaens, in tribute to
Ackanomic, where it was first created.

(2) Purpose of Ackae.
Ackaens are always ready to assist another Ackaen in any situation, so long
as it does not break any rules. Ackaens are ready to help each other
financially, politically, or through whatever means they have at their
disposal to ensure fellow Ackaens reach their maximum potential, in order of
seniority. The only reward an Ackaen expects for such a dedication to others
is the knowledge any others would do the same for him. This is the fabric of
Ackae, and its only ideological claim.

(3) Becoming an Ackaen.
To join Ackae, a player must send a message (public or private) to an
Ackaen. The Ackaen will then contact the others to inform them of the new
member. The player will be an Ackaen once he receives a message confirming
this from the Doyen. He may leave at any time.

(4) The Doyen.
The most senior Ackaen will be called the Doyen and will be in charge of all
official matters concerning Ackae. However, all players are free to express
any thoughts, whether to agree or disagree with the Doyen and other Ackaens.
There is no other requirement to being the Doyen than seniority on the list
of succession. The Doyen may resign or decline the position, in which case
he moves down one in the list of succession.

(5)The List Of Succession.
The Doyen will be the keeper of the list of every Ackaen, which is the list
of succession. A new Ackaen is placed at the end of that list. Any player
that leaves Ackae, for however short a time, is taken off the list. Should
he rejoin he is considered a new Ackaen. The list is passed along to the new
Doyen when a succession takes place. The Ackaen at the top of that list is
the Doyen.

(6) Doyen as Coordinator
The Doyen will coordinate efforts to help an Ackaen, to reach an aim, to
complete a task, or will designate another Ackaen to do so.

(7) Ackae As Forum.
Ackaens may propose to Ackae aims and tasks, such as repealing rules,
passing proposals, rejecting them, acquiring objects, entities, positions,
etc. None of these are binding to Ackaens, and they can do as they wish.
Ackae in that respect is only another forum, but one of special allies. Only
helping another Ackaen is binding in that each should do as much as he can.

(8) Authority.
Should Ackaens disagree with a decision, action (or lack of action) of any
Ackaen, then it is possible for them to do three things:
i/ If over half of all Ackaens vote for it, an Ackaen may be moved down one
position on the list.
ii/ If at least two thirds of all Ackaens vote for it, the Ackaen is removed
from Ackae and immediately rejoined, with the consequences that apply.
iii/ If at least three quarters of all Ackaens vote for it, the Ackaen is
permanently removed from Ackae for at least a month.

(9) Call To Arms.
The Doyen may call for a "Financial Contribution".
   - a -  This means that all Ackaens need to contribute some asset to the
Pool, under the supervision of the Doyen, which is to be used immediately
for a purpose specified with the call. Any surplus is to be kept for future
needs by the Doyen. The call counts as an action by the Doyen. Any use of
the surplus counts as an action by the Doyen.
   - b -  Starting from the bottom of the succession list, if an Ackaen has
contributed more than the person above him, then he is moved above that
person in the list. An Ackaen that has been moved up or down cannot move any
further up or down on that call. Such movement cannot be impeached or stopped.

(10) Ackaens Are Trustworthy.
All Ackaens should be dedicated to Ackae. But they should be even more
dedicated to their Nomic: follow its rules, act honestly and with integrity.
This means that any player (even non-Ackaen) may come to an Ackaen for
advice, or even help.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:43:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 882

Proposal 882 - Sat Jun 08 00:42:56 EDT 1996
Machines
Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

There now exists androids. They are machines almost capable of reasoning,
but without being sentient. They are not players.

An android can be bought for A$2000, paid to the treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:44:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 883

Proposal 883 - Sat Jun 08 00:44:43 EDT 1996
The Return of the Rule Ripper
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Repeal rule 579 'There can be Only One'.
  [[The name was cool, but the rule was superfluous:

 "There can only be a maximum of one of each of the following things, whether
  they exist or not:
  Speaker
  President
  Official currency
  Financial Market
  Financier

  Neither can there ever be two jobs with the same name."]]

2. Amend Rule 110 'Winning the Game' by deleting the last sentence, which
    reads:
   "The winner of the last game shall become the new Speaker for the next
    game, assuming all current duties allocated to the Speaker."

3. Amend Rule 452 'Rule Titles' by changing the last sentence from:
   "Once a Rule has a Title, the only way that the Rule may have its Title
    changed is if a Proposal is passed which changes the Title."
   to:
   "The title of a rule may only be changed when a rule change amends
    the rule, or when a rule changes the title."
 
  [[This ensures that Rule 703 works, which is slightly unclear now.]]

4. Amend Rule 648 'Confirmation Procedure' as follows:
    a. Delete the second paragraph:
       "Should a Senator be on Vacation during the Standard Confirmation
        Period, the Period will be extended 3 days beyond the time the
        Senator returns, if such an extension would lengthen the Period."

   [[If a senator is on vacation, too bad; we can't wait around for
     years for him to return.  Besides, we can now make acting senators
     to do the job.]]

    b. Delete the last paragraph:
       "If the term Standard Confirmation Period is undefined elsewhere in
        the rules, it will be defined here as 7 days."

   [[It is defined elsewhere.]]

5. Amend rule 414 'The Office of the Tabulator' to read:

"The Office of the Tabulator is a Functional Office.  The Duties of
 the Tabulator are:

  "(a) to receive and to count votes on each proposal.
  "(b) to maintain the voting records of each player on each proposal.
  "(c) to report the acceptance or rejection of each proposal.

 "If the rules require any other vote and don't otherwise specify who
  should conduct the vote, the Tabulator shall conduct the vote and have
  the same duties for that vote as are listed above for proposals."

  [[This is the same as in P834 except I added the last part to clear up any
  confusion about elections, and added "to receive" in part (a).  This will
  further standardize elections.]]

6. Repeal R608, 'Offices, Starting List of'.

  [[ As proposal 834 stated, we won't need it any more with the other changes
  it made, but it first had to be transmuted to mutable.  This was the text:

"(i)   Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be an Office:
      President, Senator, Justice, Financier, Promoter, Clerk
      of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator, Web-Harfer,
      Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Offices if so specified by the
      Rules.

"(ii)  Functional Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be a Functional Office:
      Promoter, Clerk of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator,
      Web-Harfer, Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Functional Offices if so specified
      by the Rules."]]

7. Amend R611, 'Offices, Related Definitions', by changing section (ii) c)
   from:
        "If there is no Election Period specified for the
         Election, the default Period is 72 hours."
   to:
        "Elections last 72 hours from the time the appropriate officer
         announces he is starting to accept votes."

8. Amend R636, 'Definitions', by deleting the line:
        "Standard Election Period: 5 days"

[[ This differs from R611, so I'm deleting it to remove some confusion. ]]

9. Amend R607, 'File Clerk, Creation of', by changing
    "a filing fee of .30 units"  to  "a filing fee of 2 units"
   in part (iv) b)

10. Amend R612, 'Functional Offices, Commonalities' by changing
    section (ii) a)  from:
       '1 unit plus .25 units for every Office held.'
    to:
       '3 units plus 1 unit for every Office held.'

[[ This, along with repealing the Welcomer's rule, should remove all mention
   of fractional ackadollar amounts from the rules. ]]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 96 0:45:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 884

Proposal 884 - Sat Jun 08 00:45:24 EDT 1996
Loophole Surgery (Amending R569)
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

In R569, replace the phrase:

"the judges shall be fined 2 points each"

with the phrase:

"the judges shall be fined 2 Ackadollars each"

[[This fixes a loophole the size of Devonshire (smaller than Montana),
in that as the rule stands now, I could filibuster Bascule's attempted
win by refusing to agree on any verdict, and watch his score waste
away to Voting Gnome territory. He could do the same to me.

This fixes that problem, and still forces the Justices to reach a
verdict, or go broke. The alternative would have been to uphold the
original verdict, after say a week, but I found that unsatisfactory]]

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #37
******************************