Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #36
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, June 7 1996         Volume 01 : Number 036

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 10:10:16 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Disc: Proposal 866 

At 05:14 PM 06/06/96 EDT ,   wrote:
>Proposal 866 - Thu Jun 06 17:14:53 EDT 1996
>No Overshooting
>ThinMan  (John Bollinger)
>
>A new rule shall be created with the following text:
>--
>If the score of any player becomes greater than the magic number, then the
>magic number shall be increased by 16, or to 11 points above the highest
>player score, whichever is greater.
>--
>
I think this needs to have some uppoer limit. This could easily get out of hand.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:12:44 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Irony of Proposal Retraction 

snowgod wrote:
>Ironic Isn't it?  The very proposals that thinman retracted in an attempt
>to win, would have prevented his actions, should they have passed.  On
>behalf of the (None Yet) party, I applaud thinman!

First, it's ThinMan, not thinman.

Second, it wasn't me who tried to pull off the win, it was Bascule.

Third, the jury (or judge) may still be out on whether the attempt failed.

>I love this crazy game

Me, too.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:43:35 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Disc: Proposal 866 

Niccolo Flychuck (I think) wrote:

[P866:]
>>A new rule shall be created with the following text:
>>--
>>If the score of any player becomes greater than the magic number, then the
>>magic number shall be increased by 16, or to 11 points above the highest
>>player score, whichever is greater.
>>--
>
>I think this needs to have some uppoer limit. This could easily get out of hand.

One could always adopt a resolution to reduce the magic number.  Capping this
increase would potentially defeat the purpose.  Moreover, the current rules
already allow for unlimited increase of the magic number; how is this
different?

If this leads to long cycles then so be it.  We appear to be having extremely
short cycles right now.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 11:23:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 870

Proposal 870 - Fri Jun 07 11:23:19 EDT 1996
Self Deleting Text
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

R663, "Resolutions" is hereby repealed. [[quoted later]]

- ---------------------------------------------------------

A new rule shall be created, reading:

Any rule text in double curly braces {{eg, this}}, shall be applied
exactly once, then shall be deleted from the rule. If such a deletion
should leave the rule entirely void of text, excluding the title, header,
whitespace, and other furniture, the entire rule is deleted as well.

If a rule contains 2 or more sections of text in double curly braces,
these sections shall be applied sequentially in the order that they
appear in the rule, not simultaneously.

The term "Resolution", as used elsewhere in the rules, shall come to
mean any rule whose entire text is bracketed in double curly braces.
This superceeds all mutable rules which define the term Resolution.
 
Any text anywhere in this rule in double curly braces is explicitly
excluded from the effects of this rule.

[Thus the following are semantically equivalent in rule text:

{{Robert Sevin shall be declared the winner of cycle one, the game cycle
  number shall be set to one, and the full process described above shall
  be conducted.}}

      Paragraph B:
        This is the first sentence of Paragraph B, which includes the header
      "Paragraph B:" just before this sentence.  Upon passage of this Rule,
      Robert Sevin shall be declared the winner of cycle one, the game cycle
      number shall be set to one, and the full process described above shall
      be conducted.  Then, Paragraph B, which ends with this sentence, shall
      be stricken from this Rule.

Also, an entire rule in double curly braces is semantically equivalent to
what was accomplished by R663.]

- ---------------------------------------------------------

[[
Rule 663/1 (Mutable)
Resolutions
The Governor (Dan Marsh)

      A player may declare that a proposal is a resolution. A resolution may 
not change, add, or delete
      any rules. If a resolution is adopted, the effect described in the 
resolution shall occur, and the
      resolution shall not be added to the rule set. 
]]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 11:23:40 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 871

Proposal 871 - Fri Jun 07 11:23:40 EDT 1996
Lines from teacher
Bascule  (Matt Black)

Bascule must write out 1000 times
"I must check the proposal queue more carefully
in future"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 11:24:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 872

Proposal 872 - Fri Jun 07 11:24:10 EDT 1996
Just one less point
Bascule  (Matt Black)

Bascule shall lose one point. This entire
rule shall then be stricken from the ruleset.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:35:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official (election results)

> >	I'm not willing to do that unless I am convinced that Calvin
> >actually cast his votes during the Election.  I seem to have a vague
> >memory of his having cast his vote for /dev/joe at the time of his
> >endorsement.  The election had not yet started.
> Mohammed, I'll be blunt.

> If you want to say that there is no way in hell I voted for /dev/joe, that
> therefore you think there was nothing wrong at all with the election, and
> further that you are willing 200% to vouch that you are certain there is
> -100% chance of an errors having taken place... well, who am I to argue with
> _that_.
	I'm not 200% sure.  I'm not even 192% sure.  But I'm pretty sure.
	Decisions have to be made somehow.  It's my decision to restart
the Presidential election under R504, and there are some good reasons for
that.  Not the least of which is:  the only position for which your votes
would make any difference is the Presidency, and holding that election
over again seems the most equitable solution.  I've got your vote; if
everyone else votes the same as they did last time, it'll be 5-4 in favor
of /dev/joe.
	I lost a set of votes (Malenkai's) due to some unusual
circumstances.  Then I forgot I had received them.  That's my fault.  You
forgot to vote, or the votes never got to me.  That's not my fault.  Even
if I'm not willing to swear to impossible percentages of accuracy, do you
want me to hand /dev/joe the Presidency based on the meager chance that
something went horribly wrong?
	I mean, go ahead and be angry, but what do you want me to -do-?
	You want I should hold all the Elections over again?  How much 
difference would it make?

	I'm going to send everyone an acknowledgement of his vote, private
mail.  Look for yours.  If you don't get one, something's wrong. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:37:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Clerk of the Courts

I resign my Seat as Clerk of the Courts.

As Appointer, I'm acting Clerk until someone volunteers for the position. 
The Nomination Period for CotC begins today and lasts two days.  Malenkai
has expressed interest in the job.  I think it would be good to have a 
Justice organizing the court stuff.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:05:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

Yes, this is for real.  I can't remember what the next judgement should 
be numbered.  Sue me.  NF has three days to respond, at the end of which 
time there will be a new CotC.  Worry not:  the judgement can be sent to 
me or my successor, whichever is more convenient.  Enjoy.

Call For Judgement 92.9 + 2.718i
  Subject:  No Creativity
Initiator:  Malenkai
    Judge:  Niccolo Flychuck (selected at 1102h CDT on 7 June 1996)

Statement:
> this is not a name's attempt to declare the Governor's 61 points for
> himself by R115 is illegal, and this change should be reversed by
> the Scorekeeper if the change has officially been made by the
> Scorekeeper.

Malenkai's comments:
> Acquisition of points is clearly a regulated activity. R115 only applies
> to unregulated activities. I request the Judge read CFJ 113. Been here,
> done that. Upon a verdict of TRUE, the scorekeeper should disregard this
> is not a name's attempt.

> I am very disappointed in this is not a name's persistance on this issue
> after all that has been said about it, and given all of the interesting
> stuff going on in the game now, it is a shame to waste bandwidth on this
> issue now. I ask all players to read CFJ 113 before invoking R115 to
> adjust your score.

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 12:22:55 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 872

>Proposal 872 - Fri Jun 07 11:24:10 EDT 1996
>Just one less point
>Bascule  (Matt Black)
>
>Bascule shall lose one point. This entire
>rule shall then be stricken from the ruleset.

If this passed, he'd get 10 points, then lose 1. Hardly his aim, I 
suppose.

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teaches our
 children."                            --Dan Quayle
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 12:24:47 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Clerk of the Courts

Mohammed writes:
>I resign my Seat as Clerk of the Courts.
>
>As Appointer, I'm acting Clerk until someone volunteers for the position. 
>The Nomination Period for CotC begins today and lasts two days.  Malenkai
>has expressed interest in the job.  I think it would be good to have a 
>Justice organizing the court stuff.

Actually, I think it might lead to conflicts of interest. Nothing 
personal against Malenkai, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a 
Justice to be CotC.

I volunteer for CotC.

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"Truth is always exciting. Speak it, then. Life is boring without it."
                                       --Pearl S. Buck
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 12:28:23 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

>Malenkai's comments:
>> Acquisition of points is clearly a regulated activity. R115 only applies
>> to unregulated activities. I request the Judge read CFJ 113. Been here,
>> done that. Upon a verdict of TRUE, the scorekeeper should disregard this
>> is not a name's attempt.
>
>> I am very disappointed in this is not a name's persistance on this issue
>> after all that has been said about it, and given all of the interesting
>> stuff going on in the game now, it is a shame to waste bandwidth on this
>> issue now. I ask all players to read CFJ 113 before invoking R115 to
>> adjust your score.

The creation of points is clearly a regulated activity. But the transfer 
of points from one player to another, which is what this is, is not 
clearly regulated or unregulated. The issue is not as clear-cut as 
Malenkai seems to think it is.

this is not a name
Possible President
Historian
File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"Don't condescend to unskilled labor. Try it for half a day first."
                                       --Brooks Atkinson
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 1996 20:30:25 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i 

I find the appointment for this CFJ and will post decision in a couple of
days. Looks like it's going to be quite complex.

If anyone still has a copy of the Governor's message about leaving the game,
it would be helpful. While not absolutely necessarily for this judegment, it
would help tie things up nicely.
Perhaps /dev/joe

At 11:05 AM 07/06/96 -0500, Mohammed wrote:
>Yes, this is for real.  I can't remember what the next judgement should 
>be numbered.  Sue me.  NF has three days to respond, at the end of which 
>time there will be a new CotC.  Worry not:  the judgement can be sent to 
>me or my successor, whichever is more convenient.  Enjoy.
>
>Call For Judgement 92.9 + 2.718i
>  Subject:  No Creativity
>Initiator:  Malenkai
>    Judge:  Niccolo Flychuck (selected at 1102h CDT on 7 June 1996)

Funny you should this numbering, I was just thinking about RFCing something
that would make all scores complex numbers
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:40:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> 
> The creation of points is clearly a regulated activity. But the transfer 
> of points from one player to another, which is what this is, is not 
> clearly regulated or unregulated. The issue is not as clear-cut as 
> Malenkai seems to think it is.
> 

I believe you are claiming to have received or gained some points, and
while I haven't done a completely exhaustive search of the rules, I
believe that receiving, gaining, and losing points is, in fact, a
regulated activity.  Rule 207 ("Scoring When a Proposal is Adopted"), for
one example, reads

     When a proposed rule change is adopted, those players who voted
     against it receive 5 points each.  A player whose proposed rule
     change is adopted also receives 10 points.

Whether point creation is an unregulated activity is another question, and
I may try to create some after examining the rules more carefully, but it
will by a purely academic exercise, since I don't believe any player can
receive them.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:25:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CFJ 92.9 + 2.718i

>Malenkai's comments:
>> Acquisition of points is clearly a regulated activity. R115 only applies
>> to unregulated activities. I request the Judge read CFJ 113. Been here,
>> done that. Upon a verdict of TRUE, the scorekeeper should disregard this
>> is not a name's attempt.
>
>> I am very disappointed in this is not a name's persistance on this issue
>> after all that has been said about it, and given all of the interesting
>> stuff going on in the game now, it is a shame to waste bandwidth on this
>> issue now. I ask all players to read CFJ 113 before invoking R115 to
>> adjust your score.

| The creation of points is clearly a regulated activity. But the transfer 
| of points from one player to another, which is what this is, is not 
| clearly regulated or unregulated. The issue is not as clear-cut as 
| Malenkai seems to think it is.

| this is not a name
| Possible President
| Historian
| File Clerk

OK, I'll try winning the game now, just to show how your arguments are
incorrect.  Since transfers of points between players is not regulated,
I hearby declare that I am transferring 46 points from this is not a name
to myself.

This gives me 257 points and I win the game.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:27:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 873

Proposal 873 - Fri Jun 07 14:27:10 EDT 1996
Isn't he cute?
Bascule  (Matt Black)

For as long as an entity named the Voting Gnome exists,
this rule shall remain dormant.

There exists a protected entity called the Gnome of Voting.
The Gnome of Voting will serve one function, and that is to
cast one vote on any proposal. At any time, the Player with
the lowest score will have control of the Gnome of Voting.
The Player that currently controls the Gnome will be known
as The Gnome Buddy. 

The Gnome Buddy may cast a vote for himself as well as the
Gnome of Voting for every Proposal dated within the period
that the Player has control of the Gnome. 

If there is more than one person who is tied for the lowest
score, then the next lowest score is used, and continues until
the lowest single score is found. If all scores are tied,
then no one will control the Gnome of Voting until the scores
change. 

This rule takes precedence over the rule titled "One player one
vote".

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:27:29 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 874

Proposal 874 - Fri Jun 07 14:27:29 EDT 1996
getting rid of 'poltiical offices, starting list'
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Add this text at the end of R609, 'Offices, Commonalities':
"(viii) Political and Functional Offices
        Political Offices and Functional Offices are considered to be
        Offices."

2. Amend R504 'The President of Ackanomia' to:
   "The Presidency of Ackanomia is a Political Office with one Seat.  The
   player who holds that seat is called the President.  The President's Term
   of Office is 8 weeks.  The Presidency is filled by an Election for Office."

3. Amend R478 'Creation of a Senate' to read:
   "The Senate is a Political Office with four Seats, filled by Election for
   Office.  The Speaker or Acting Speaker has the title of ProConsul and
   will be the head of the Senate.  Only when a Senate vote is tied, the
   ProConsul will cast his vote to determine the outcome."

[[Changes 2 and 3 are identical to the versions from P834 except I added the
word Political.]]

4. Amend R507 'The Supreme Court of Ackanomia' to read:
   "The Supreme Court is a Political Office with two seats.  The players
   who hold these seats are called Justices.  The President, Speaker, and
   Senators may not be Justices.  Justices are appointed by the President
   and confirmed by the Senate. Should the Senate not agree on a candidate,
   then the President must propose another person until the Senate agrees
   or the Senate has already rejected three candidates.

   "A Justice may be removed from office by a petition of at least two
   thirds the number of players."

5. Repeal R576 'Political Offices, Starting List'.

   [[We won't need it any more after the other changes in this proposal.
   The rule says:

   "(i)  The following Offices are Political Offices:
   President, Senator, Justice.
   (ii) No other Office is to be considered a Political Office
   unless explicitly specified as such by the Rules."]]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:37:26 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: another score update

/dev/joe kindly pointed out some additional point adjustments that I have
forgotten.  I've added them to the list I published earlier.  This should
include everything except my point transfer from TINAN.

Score changes:

- -5 The Great Old One for appealing CFJ 175
- -20 The Great Old One penalty for frivolous appeal
- -1 Brinjal for having CFJ 170 overturned
- -5 mr cmw for appealing CFJ 170
+5 Bascule for being Silly per CFJ 170
- -1 ThinMan withdrawing  P858
- -1 Mohammed withdrawing P857
- -3 Bascule for retracting 833, 864, and 865

5-pt bonuses for short proposals 822 (/dev/joe), 823 (Techno) and 824 (Techno).
5-pt silly bonus (cows eat grass) for proposal 827 (Techno)

5-point penalties for appealing CFJ's to the supreme court:
164 (/dev/joe), 178 (ThinMan)

Also, Snafumoose and de'ghew get 6 points each for posting what phoebe says.

A couple CFJ's were retracted; these also suffer a point point penalty each:
CFJ 172 and CFCJ 2, both by Malenkai.

256	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
235	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
235	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
211	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
207	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
205	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
201	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff) 
175	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
173	Dr McSpong           A   (Julian Richardson) 
171	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
166	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
137	SnafuMoose           A   (Stephen Roberts) 
133	De'ghew              A   (John Spickes) 
121	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
96	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
91	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
47	Merlin the Happy Pig A   (Stephen Wilson) 
36	Simon Marty Harriman V   (Andy Swan) 
35	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
20	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain) 
8	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -2	chess piece face     V   (Paul Swan) 
- -22	The Great Old One    V   (Sean Crystal) 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:48:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 834 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 834
  Proposal 834 - Thu May 30 22:43:26 EDT 1996
  Ride of the Rule Ripper
  Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Mohammed gains 10 points.  201 -> 211

12 YES votes:  
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

2 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                    175 -> 180          
  Robin Hood                                  210 -> 215          

2 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld          
  Bascule                                    

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 834 - Thu May 30 22:43:26 EDT 1996
Ride of the Rule Ripper
Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)

[[Because of all the material quoted, this is a very long proposal.
Its purpose is to straighten out the various parts of the rule set
dealing with Officers.  It will cut a lot of redundant text from the
rules.  It will also make matters more straightforward when we have to
fill offices.]]

1.  The rule titled "Office of the Web-Harfer" [411/0] is amended to read:

"The Office of the Web-Harfer is a Functional Office.  It is the Duty
of the Web-Harfer to keep the information on the Ackanomic WWW page
up-to-date.  It is the responsibility of other players to make public
any information that should be reflected in the WWW page."

[[
   Rule 411/0 (Mutable)
   Office of the Web-Harfer
   
     The office of the Web-Harfer is hereby created. The Web-Harfer will
     be chosen by the Speaker on a volunteer basis. In the case of
     multiple volunteers, the officer will be chosen using random
     selection. In the event that no volunteers come forth, the Speaker
     will hold the office of the Web-Harfer.
     
     The Web-Harfer is in charge of keeping the information on the
     Ackanomic WWW page up to date. It is the responsibility of the
     other officers to send the information the Web-Harfer requires in
     order to update the WWW page.
]]

2.  The rule titled "The Office of the Tabulator" is amended to read:

"The Office of the Tabulator is a Functional Office.  The Duties of
the Tabulator are:
	"(a) to count votes on each proposal.
	"(b) to maintain the voting records of each player on each proposal.
   	"(c) to report the acceptance or rejection of each proposal."

[[
   Rule 414/1 (Mutable)
   The Office of the Tabulator
   
     Let there be an officer called the Tabulator. If there is no
     Tabulator, a Tabulator will be selected on a volunteer basis. In the
     case of multiple volunteers, the Speaker will choose a Tabulator by
     random selection. In the event that there is no Tabulator, the
     duties of the Tabulator shall be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Tabulator is responsible for counting votes on each proposal,
     and reporting the results to the players. The Tabulator shall be
     responsible for maintaining the voting records for each player on
     each proposal. When the conditions are met so that a proposal can be
     decided on, the Tabulator will report the outcome and how each
     player voted to all players.
]]

3.  The rule titled "Office of Registrar" is amended to read:

"The Office of the Registrar is a Functional Office.  The Duties of
the Registrar are:
	"(a) maintaining a list of all registered players and their
	     Ackanomic names.
	"(b) furnishing new players with any game information they
	     need (current rules, the player list, etc.)
	"(c) keeping track of all of the titles and offices the
	     players hold, and who holds the Magic Potato."

[[
Rule 424/1 (Mutable)
Office of Registrar
David Chapman

Let there be an officer called the Registrar. The Registrar is
selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple volunteers,
the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the event of there
being no volunteers for the office of the Registrar, the duties of
the Registrar are to be carried out by the Speaker.

The Registrar shall be responsible for the following:
1. Maintaining a list of all registered players.
2. Adding new players to the game if they wish to join.
3. Furnishing new players with any game information they need
(current rules, player list, etc)
4. Removing players from the game if they wish to quit.
5. Keeping track of all of the titles and offices the players hold
(this includes keeping track of who is the Gnome Buddy and who has
the Magic Potato)
6. Keeping track of the Ackanomic Names of the players.

The Registrar may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

4.  The rule titled "Office of Scorekeeper is amended to read:

"The Office of the Scorekeeper is a Functional Office.  The Duties of the
Scorekeeper are: 
	"(a) maintaining a record of the players' current scores
	"(b) recording each score change
	"(c) detecting and announcing as soon as possible the event of
	     a player winning the game by points."

[[
   Rule 425/1 (Mutable)
   Office of Scorekeeper
   
     Let there be an officer called the Scorekeeper. The Scorekeeper will
     be selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple
     volunteers, the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the
     event of there being no volunteers for the office of Scorekeeper,
     the duties of the Scorekeeper are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Scorekeeper shall be responsible for the following things:
     1. Detecting and announcing as soon as possible when a player has
     won the game by points.
     2. Keeping track of each player's score and recording it.
     3. Keeping track of all score changes and recording them.
     4. Determining who is the Gnome Buddy and announcing this whenever
     the title is transferred.
     
     The Scorekeeper may have additional duties assigned by other rules.
]]

5.  The rule titled "Office of the Publicist" [426/0] is repealed.

[[
   Rule 426/0 (Mutable)
   Office of the Publicist
   
     Let there be an officer called the Publicist. The Publicist is
     selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple volunteers,
     the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the event of there
     being no volunteers for the office of the Publicist, the duties of
     the Publicist are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Publicist shall be responsible for the following:
     1. Advertising the game of Ackanomic.
     2. Attempting to find new players for Ackanomic.
     3. Directing new players to the Ackanomic web page, and to whoever
     is in charge of signing up new players.
     
     The Publicist may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

6.  The Rule entited "Creation of a Senate" [478/0] shall be amended to read:

"The Senate is an Office with four Seats, filled by Election for
Office.  The Speaker or Acting Speaker has the title of ProConsul and
will be the head of the Senate.  Only when a Senate vote is tied, the
ProConsul will cast his vote to determine the outcome."

[[
   Rule 478/0 (Mutable)
   Creation of a Senate

     A new entity will be created called the Senate. Members of the
     Senate will be called Senators. Senators are still players. The
     Speaker (or acting) will also have the title of ProConsul and will
     be the head of the Senate. Only when a Senate vote is tied, the
     ProConsul will cast his vote to decide on the outcome.

     There will be four Senators. The Senate will only be be in session
     (exist) when the number of players in Ackanomic is greater or equal
     to 10.

     When there is an empty seat in the Senate, elections will be held
     for that position. All players can vote for anyone they so desire to
     fill the seat, except for someone that is already a Senator or
     Speaker. The votes are to be sent to the Tabulator, who will report
     the outcome. The player with the most votes will be elected Senator.
     In case of a tie, the ProConsul will randomly choose one of the tied
     candidates.

     A Senator will keep his/her seat until voted out or he/she resigns.
     A Senator can be voted out of office by two thirds of the votes of
     the Players.
]]

7.  The rule titled "Office of Clerk of the Court" [489/0] shall be amended to read:

"The Office of the Clerk of the Court is a Functional Office.  The
Duties of the Clerk of the Court are:
	"(a) receiving a request for judgement on a statement and
	     making it an official Call for Judgement (hereafter
	     referred to as CFJ), in accordance with the rules.
	"(b) selecting judges for CFJs in accordance with the rules.
	"(c) reporting the results of CFJs publicly, and making
	     certain that the Web-Harfer has up-to-date information
	     concerning CFJs.
	"(d) any administration of CFJs as defined by the rules."
	"(e) the Duties of the Speaker when there is no Speaker or
	     the Speaker is on vacation."

[[
   Rule 489/0 (Mutable)
   Office of Clerk of the Court

     Let there be an officer called the Clerk of the Court (hereafter
     referred to as CotC). The CotC is selected according to any
     applicable rules for selecting an officer. In the absence of such
     rules, the CotC is selected in the following manner:
     
     The Speaker will request volunteers for the position. In the case of
     multiple volunteers, the Speaker will choose by random selection. In
     the event of there being no volunteers for the office of the CotC,
     the duties of the CotC are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The CotC shall be responsible for the following:
     1. Receiving any "question or complaint about any matter concerning
     the laws and their interpretation" and making it an official Call
     for Judgement (hereafter referred to as CFJ), in accordance with all
     applicable rules.
     2. Selecting judges for CFJs according to the applicable rules.
     3. Reporting the results of CFJs to all players, and making certain
     that the Web-Harfer has up-to-date information concerning CFJs.
     4. Any administration of CFJs as defined by the rules.
     
     The CotC may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

8.  The rule titled "The President of Ackanomia" [504/0] shall be
amended to read:

"The Presidency of Ackanomia is an Office with one Seat.  The player who holds that seat is called the President.  The President's Term of Office is 8 weeks.
The Presidency is filled by an Election for Office."

[[   
   Rule 504/0 (Mutable)
   The President of Ackanomia
   
     A new position will be created called the President of Ackanomia.
     
     The President will be elected by all players for a period of 8
     weeks. A president may re-run for office as many times as desired.
     The winner is the person with the most votes after 3 days of voting.
     A quorum is not required. If there is a tie, the vote is to be
     retaken in the same manner until the deadlock is resolved. Other
     candidates may join in, current may drop out every time the election
     is restarted.
     
     Candidates for the position must either be the official leader of
     their political party (if such things exist) by whatever method is
     used in that party, or a non-aligned candidate officially supported
     by at least two other non-aligned players. If a party has no
     official leader, they are considered to independent. If no party
     leader of a party, or more than one, is registered with the Speaker,
     then all members of that party will be considered non-aligned.
     
     The President can resign from his/her position.
]]
  
9.  The rule titled "Offices, Starting List of" is transmuted to Mutable.

[[  After this proposal passes, we won't need it.

   Rule 608/1 (Immutable)
   Offices, Starting List of

(i)   Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be an Office:
      President, Senator, Justice, Financier, Promoter, Clerk
      of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator, Web-Harfer,
      Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Offices if so specified by the
      Rules.

(ii)  Functional Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be a Functional Office:
      Promoter, Clerk of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator,
      Web-Harfer, Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Functional Offices if so specified
      by the Rules.
]]

10.  The Rule titled "Functional Offices, Commonalities" will be
amended by replacing section (vi) with the following:

"(vi)	Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, the
	Appointer shall conduct a Nomination for that Seat.
	After the Nomination, the Appointer shall select an
	eligible Nominee and announce that Nominee's name
	publicly.  That Nominee shall hold the Functional
	Office."

[[  This removes the silly Senate confirmation step.

   Rule 612/0 (Mutable)
   Functional Offices, Commonalities
   
	[...]
(vi)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, the
       Appointer shall conduct a Nomination for that Seat.
       After the Nomination, the following process is followed:
       a)  If at any time there is only one eligible Nominee, then
           that Player will hold the Functional Office.
       b)  The Appointer will select an eligible Nominee, now called
           the "Candidate", to fill the Office.  The Appointer will
           notify each Senator of his selection for Candidate.
       c)  When at least 1/2 of Senators confirm the Candidate by so
           indicating to the Appointer, or whenever 48 hours have
           passed since the notification to the Senate, the Candidate
           shall hold the Office.
       d)  Whenever more than 1/2 of the Senators reject the Candidate
           by so indicating to the Appointer, the Candidate is no
           longer considered to be an eligible Nominee.  The process
           returns to section(vi), clause "a" of this Rule.

   Created by Proposal 612, Apr 16 1996
]]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 14:48:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 832 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 832
  Proposal 832 - Thu May 30 11:29:29 EDT 1996
  Postmaster, Creation of
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

16 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  175 -> 185

16 YES votes:  
  The Great Old One                                               
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  Tammany                                                         
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

2 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                    170 -> 175          
  Robin Hood                                  205 -> 210          

1 PRESENT votes:
  Bascule                                    

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Dr McSpong                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 832 - Thu May 30 11:29:29 EDT 1996
Postmaster, Creation of
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

There shall be a functional office called the Postmaster, with one seat.
The office of Postmaster shall be filled by a volunteer.  If there is no
volunteer, and at any time in which the office of Postmaster is vacant,
there shall be no Acting Postmaster.  This rule takes precedence over the
rules "Offices, Commonalities" and "Functional Offices, Commonalities"
with respect to Acting Officers.

The duty of the Postmaster shall be to create and maintain an official
mailing list for Ackanomic, so public messages can be sent to one address
and forwarded from there to all players and observers automatically.

All players, except those who are vacationing, must be subscribed to the
official mailing list at all times.  The official list may have multiple
forms, such as a regular list and a digest list; a player need only
subscribe to one form of the list.  The official mailing list is considered
to be a public forum.  There may be other public forums.  Any person
subscribed to the official list who is not a player is considered to be
an observer.

If a digest version of the official list exists, the Postmaster shall have
the privilege of moving any player or observer from the normal list to
the digest list if that person's e-mail is bouncing.  [[This is to reduce
the number of bounce messages the Postmaster has to deal with; I was going
to put something stronger here but it was getting too complicated.]]

The Postmaster shall receive the usual salary for a Functional Office.

This is the first sentence of this paragraph.  At the time this rule is
first enacted, /dev/joe shall become the Postmaster.  This takes precedence
over rule 612.  After this action is taken, this paragraph shall be
stricken from this rule.  This is the last sentence of this paragraph.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #36
******************************