Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #31
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Wednesday, June 5 1996        Volume 01 : Number 031

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 96 0:11:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 860

Proposal 860 - Wed Jun 05 00:10:59 EDT 1996
Neutering the CSRR (amending R695)
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

The text of R695 shall be replaced wholly by the following:

         (a) The Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy
shall exist. This office may be referred to as CSRR.

         (b) The  Office of Common Sense, Redundancy,
and Redundancy is permitted to make the language in the ruleset
gender neutral. The Office is not required to do so. The Office shall
have no other powers, and may make no other types of changes to the
rules. This clause superceeds all mutable rules which would
otherwise give this office any other powers than those defined by
this clause.

         (c) CSRR shall be a Functional Office with one seat.

         (d) The CSRR Officer may publish suggested changes to the
rules.  Such a publication may be referred to as a "Common Sense Report"
or "CSR."  The CSRR Officer shall assign a unique number for reference
purposes to each CSR he or she publishes.

         (e) (1) If any player objects to the changes in the CSR within
the Standard Voting Period, he or she shall publish his objection. The
changes proposed by the CSR shall not be made.
             
             (2) If no player objects to the changes in the CSR within
the Standard Voting Period, the changes proposed in the CSR shall be
made.  The CSRR Officer shall publish a notice that the changes have
been made.  All Officers responsible for modifying any official rule
set(s) [e.g., the Web-Harfer] shall modify such rule set(s) upon receipt
of such publication.

[[original text:

         (a) The Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy shall 
exist.
      This office may be referred to as CSRR.
         (b) The purpose of the Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and 
Redundancy
      is to make changes to the rules when it finds that the rules, as 
written, do
      not make sense, are redundant, do not conform _in fact_ to their
      interpretation in game custom, or are redundant.  The Office may 
perform
      other functions if they conform to the rules.  [The Office should make 
minor
      changes.  But if it can get major changes past the, shall we say, 
review
      process, it can.]
         (c) CSRR shall be a Functional Office with one seat.
         (d) (1) The CSRR Officer may publish suggested changes to the rules. 
 Such
      a publication may be referred to as a "Common Sense Report" or "CSR."  
The
      CSRR Officer shall assign a unique number for reference purposes to 
each CSR
      he publishes.
             (2) Changes to the rules suggested by a CSR shall be limited to
      modifying an existing rule or repealing an existing rule.  A CSR may 
not
      propose the modification or repeal of immutable rules.
         (e) (1) If any player objects to the changes in the CSR within the 
Official
      Voting Period, he shall publish his objection.  The changes proposed by 
the
      CSR shall not be made.  This subsection shall not prevent any formal
      proposal from being made.  [In other words, even if there are 
objections to
      the CSR, the CSRR Officer, or anyone else, can still propose it as a 
formal
      rule proposal.]
             (2) If no player objects to the changes in the CSR within the
      Official Voting Period, the changes proposed in the CSR shall be made. 
 The
      CSRR Officer shall publish a notice that the changes have been made.  
All
      Officers responsible for modifying any official rule set(s) [e.g., the
      Web-Harfer] shall modify such rule set(s) upon receipt of such 
publication.
]]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:15:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: retracting P831

I hereby retract proposal 831.
Comments below.

> > Proposal 831 - Wed May 29 13:35:59 EDT 1996
> > No Dead Politicos
> > /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
> >
> > If at any time a political officer has been on vacation for the past 7
> > days, he is considered to have resigned from that office and it shall
> > be filled as the rules specify for filling that office when it is vacant.

> I urge a NO vote on this.
> 
> We should not try to exclude relatively inactive players from the game.
> I believe this proposal does this.

Well, I originally made this because we couldn't appoint justices while
the senators were all on vacation.  However, I notice two things:
1. Rule 457/2 includes:
   While a player is on vacation, the player shall not not be randomly
   selected for anything.  The player shall also not be chosen to perform
   any task.  The duties of any offices help by the player shall be
   performed by the Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker.

so the speaker can appoint acting senators in place of the vacationing
ones, in order to get the justices confirmed.

2. Another 'rule ripping' proposal I have coming up removes the extension
of the confirmation period for senators on vacation.  As it is, Justices
are necessary because of the CFJ appeal procedure.

> BTW, what happened to the CFJ that would nuke R446??

P770, my first attempt to repeal 446, which would also have put a strict
limit on rule-changing rules, failed.  P808 just proposed to repeal 446,
and passed.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #31
******************************