Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #30
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, June 4 1996         Volume 01 : Number 030

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:48:55 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Common Sense Report 1

At 11:34 AM 6/4/96, John Bollinger wrote:
>I officially object to CSR 1.
[...] to make changes to the rules when it finds that the rules,
>as written, do not make sense, are redundant, *do not conform _in fact_
>to their interpretation in game custom*, or are redundant."

Your objection to the CSR has been noted, and this common sense report goes
down the tubes.  I would like to ask you if this will be a blanket
objection to every CSR published, Or a specific instance of objection,
particluar to this CSR.

as for yourreasoning, it's not sound.  Read what you quoted.  This CSR
WOULD fix an instance in which "the rules do not conform _in fact_ to their
iterpretation in game custom"

snowgod
Ambassador
CSRR
Candidate for senate
All around unliked guy by Malenkai's faction

"If elected I promise to consider all campaign promises before breaking themn!"

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sean Crystal <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Damnation

I am afraid I will have to put myself on vacation for a bit.  My monitor
just exploded, and I don't particularly have the money to get it fixed at
the moment.  Since I now cannot read my mail more than once or twice a
week, I'm on vacation indefinitely.  

The Great Moldy One

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:33:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Spickes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Re Proposal 852 

> In accordance with CFJ 152, /dev/joe must be penalized .10 units of 
> currency for bad Juju. Would the acting Financier please make the change?
 
 	Although I do not have the current ruleset handy, I believe that 
 it is quite possible that the deduction of .10 units of currency would be 
 illegal.  I believe there was a rule passed which allows only 
 whole-number units of AckaDollars, no ackapennies.  I'm fairly certain 
 I'm not confusing this with a proposal, but I recommend you check the 
 current ruleset to be sure.  
 	Under this rule, /dev/joe should be penalized 1 AckaDollar.  
 
 	De'ghew

- -- 
  John Spickes - Undergraduate - UMCP - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jspickes
   PGP encrypted email preferred - finger [email-masked] for key

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 19:00:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Damnation

As Party Boss of Underworld, I hearby remove The Great Old One from
tme mebership of Underworld.  He will be welcome back when he gets his
monitor fixed.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 02:19:23 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: (proposal )- should be RFC  

At 12:38 AM 05/06/96 +0300, Uri Bruck wrote:
>Proposal
>Creation of the game of Eleusis
>Nicolo Flychuck
>
That previous message was actually an RFC
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 00:10:03 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Prosthetic Forehead

> I'm
> not sure how to go about it.  Has anyone thought about proposing an
> Ackanomic Casino, where we could bet on the outcomes of proposals and
> CFJ's?) 
 
Er, yes, I was just putting together an Ackanomic Casino proposal when
I saw this. I must admit I was thinking of games of chance rather than
the outcomes of props and CFJs, but now you mention it...
A little more work and I may have a proposal for you...

Brinjal.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:10:10 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 831

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 831 - Wed May 29 13:35:59 EDT 1996
> No Dead Politicos
> /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
> 
> If at any time a political officer has been on vacation for the past 7
> days, he is considered to have resigned from that office and it shall
> be filled as the rules specify for filling that office when it is vacant.

I officially return from vacation. This will prevent this proposal from
applying to me, should it pass.

I urge a NO vote on this. I was "legitimately" travelling in Europe for
10 days. Had this been distributed the day I left, I could have come
back, and been "bogusly" removed from office. Please up the number to
something like 21, or 28 days, or allow the person to get their job back.

I wish to again travel for 2 weeks at a time. I do not want to lose all
my offices. A better solution is possible, such as proxies or acting 
officiers. I respectfully request /dev/joe retract this.

We should not try to exclude relatively inactive players from the game.
I believe this proposal does this.

I now go officially back on vacation. I gave myself an extra 2 days to
get caught up on the email (I have 391 or more). If I came back now for
real I would affect quorum, because I will not be able to read the
proposals up for vote.

BTW, what happened to the CFJ that would nuke R446??

Vote NO on P831, Please
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:36:34 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 836

I take myself off vacation.

You guys just tried to repeal this 2 weeks ago, 2 seconds after it
was passed. Vote NO again! I guess we can try to repeal it 100 times,
and eventually it will hit. That seems cheesy though, and wastes 
bandwidth.

I endorse /dev/joe for President, it it is not too late (still going
through email)

I put myself on vacation, until I digest all the e-mail

Malenkai

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 836 - Sat Jun 01 10:58:16 EDT 1996
> Preserve Delightful Idiosyncrasies
> this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)
> 
> Repeal rule 692.
> 
> [[
> 
> Rule 692/1 (Mutable)
> Hungry, silly, and poisonous
> Malenkai (Randy Hall)
> 
>  Should the Gnome Buddy ever come to hold the Magic Potato, the Voting
>  Gnome will immediately become uncontrollably hungry and eat the Magic
>  Potato, thereby destroying it and removing it from the game.
> 
>  [As Magic Potatoes are poisonous to Gnomes,] this action by the Voting
>  Gnome will immediately kill it, thereby removing the Voting Gnome from
> the
>  game as well.
> 
>  If, however, the Voting Gnome had legally chewed a Gumball on the
>  thursday before the day the Gnome Buddy received the Magic Potato, the
>  hunger described above will not have occurred, its effects will not have
>  occurred, and will not occur as long as the Gnome Buddy continiously
> holds
>  the Magic Potato.
> 
> Created by Proposal 692, May 10 1996
> Renumbered by Rule 794, May 26 1996
> 
> ]]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:55:51 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Common Sense Report 1

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> Greeting from your newly appointed CSRR.  This will be the first in an
> infrequent series of Comon Sense Reports (hereafter known as CSR's).
> R663/1 has recently been exploited by a player who was attempting a paradox
> win.  This CSR will change the first sentence of R663/1 from "A player may
> declare that a proposal is a resolution" to "A proposal may state that it
> is a resolution."
> 
> While this change will not affect the staus of those proposals that have
> already been changed to resolutions, it will prevent further exploitation
> of this rule.
> 

Exactly my point for running for CSRR. If we allow the CSRR to just nuke
anything that can cause a paradox, and make the game interesting, we are
sacrificing fun and interesting situations for the sake of expediency.
Expediency towards what, I ask. What becomes the point? What do we end
up creating? I personally shall lose interest in writing, juding, and
reading rules. Any slop that passes can just be edited. An efficency
machine with no end and no goals, and in my opinion, no fun :)

Malenkai
Protect the Rules
Candidate to repeal the CSRR office rule, and eliminate the office.

Had I not been on vacation, CSRR would have been stalemated, and could
have been stopped. I know there is strong support for my platform out
there, join with me and lets repeal this!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 21:59:51 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Common Sense Report 1

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> At 12:49 PM 6/2/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
> >I think we need to amend the whole resolution rule further.  Proposals
> >should be proposals, and resolutions should be resolutions. Resolutions
> >should be distributed under a different subject line, perhaps even with a
> >different numbering.
> >Nicolo flychuck
> >
> 
> I completlely agree with you, but that would (moraly though not
> technically) be out of the bounds of my position of CSRR.  I need to know
> though, for the sake of clarity:
> 
> Does your response to this message constitute an objection to the Common
> Sense Report?
> 

It doesn't matter.

I take myself off vacation.

I object to the Common Sense Report

I put myself back on vacation.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:19:59 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acaknomic: Official

I hereby vote for ThinMan for Senate. I am just back and have not
digetsted everything, but I know this vote will get to the appropriate
officer.

I apologise for the shotgun approach, it is not in keeping with my
usual precision in application of the rules, but I'm just like a newbie
again, it will take a while to catch up.

I respectufully request Mohammed to forward my other votes to the 
appropriate officer, if my sending them to him was incorrect. If it
is unlawful for Mohammed to so such forwarding, then I ask him to send
them back to me, and I will shotgun them.

Malenkai
Bandwidth Pig and second time newbie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:33:41 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Re Proposal 852

Mike Epstein wrote:

> In accordance with CFJ 152, /dev/joe must be penalized .10 units of
> currency for bad Juju. Would the acting Financier please make the change?

Wasn't there something that prevented ackapennies?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:13:52 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acaknomic: Official

I hereby take myself off vacation.

I still have mountains of email to read, so I regret that some proposals
will get abstentions from me in the near future, but I feel it is better
to come back for good than go on and off vacation just to protect
quorum. It looks like you Ackanomians have been up to some fun mischief
in my absense, and I intend to participate :).

I really need a 10 day Festival of Torkola.

I acknowledge receiving 2 appeals to the Supreme Court. I will consider
them as soon as possible. Before doing so, I need the answer to the CFJ
that put Bascule on the Supreme Court. I submitted that ages ago. In
the mean time, I will assume it is false, which I believe is the proper
verdict.

I also need to know if this is not a name officially got the Governor's
61 points.

Thanks in advance,
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:39:04 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Internomic

Phil Ackley wrote:

> All around man with a plan

All around political big shot with a huge advertising budget who tries
to buy elections :). (in good fun) Congratulations to snowgod in besting
my meme in the race for CSRR. The circumstances were dubious, but lawful.

The opposition does not rest, and grows stronger every day, and has
the resources, connections, and know-how to prevail.

Malenkai
Candidate to nuke the CSRR
Protect the Rules

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:49:53 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Prosthetic Forehead

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> 3. Set my score to 257 points.
> 
> Since the Magic Number (as defined by Rule 422) is currently 257,
> I win the second cycle of Ackanomic.

I claim by existing game custom there is a grace period, and by some rule
that there is a Fat Lady (but I do not know if there is a speaker!), 
sorry for the newbie play :), whose properties I do not remember.

Anyway, I respectufully request the web-harfer and dispensers of grapefruit
to chill until the grace period passed (ie, until I weed through all the
email)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:52:35 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Judgement 175 Appeal

As far as I know, Bascule has not been legally confirmed. I still can't
find that CFJ, though. Please send it to me, or I will have to try to
put someone in Gaol :).

Malenkai

Matt wrote:
> 
> > Call For Judgement 175
> >   Subject:  I Win
> > Initiator:  The Great Old One
> >     Judge:  mr cwm (selected at 1939h on 2 June 1996)
> > Judgement:  False
> 
> The Great Old One:
> > > I am appealing this decision to the Supreme Court.
> 
> Mohammed:
> > It's up to Bascule now.
> 
> I'm not sure if it's up to me or not!
> If it is, here is my verdict.
> If it isn't, here's what my verdict would have been.
> 
> > Statement:
> > > The game is no longer playable because of Rule 663.  This rule gives
> > > anyone the power to proclaim a proposal a resolution.  Therefore, no
> > > proposals could become Rules or change rules, and the game in a stalemate.
> >
> > mr cwm's comments:
> > > Reasoning:  Even if a player has the power to declare proposals to be
> > > resolutions (a point I am absolutely not judging here), there is no
> > > requirement that any number or fraction of proposals become Rules or Rule
> > > Changes for the game to be playable. [snip]
> > > There is nothing
> > > in the rule set to support the claim that the game would no longer be
> > > playable if each proposal failed to become a Rule or a Rule Change because
> > > it was a resolution.  (A)
> 
> The Great Old One again:
> > I disagree with your logic that Nomic can be played without rule changes.
> > The entire base for Nomic is the changing and creating of the Rules.
> > Without this ability, it is no longer a game; the point of it's existence
> > is lost.  (B)
> > So I submit that the Rules may no longer be changed or added to, as every
> > Proposal may be made into a Resolution.  (C)
> 
> Reasoning:
> 
> 1. Point (C) is far from proven.
>     i.   Doubt remains over the ability of Rule 663 to turn proposals
>          into resolutions.
>     ii.  Constitutional conventions seem able to amend the ruleset,
>          without the use of Proposals.
> 
> 2. Point (B) is the opinion of The Great Old One. The rules do not
>    say that the game is ended if no more rules can be passed. I refer
>    the reader to the original Judge's comments (A). The Justices of
>    the Supreme Court concur with mr cwm.
> 
> As point (C) is not proven, the verdict of this Court must be the
> same as the original Judge, mr cwm, i.e. False. Even if point (C)
> were proven, the verdict would still be False (point 2 above).
> 
> Bascule
> Justice/Pretender to Justice (delete as applicable)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:59:40 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Judgement 178

The Supreme Court has received your appeal. You are either 3 or 4 in
the queue. Again, I urge someone to send me a copy of the verdict putting
Bascule on the bench. If I do not receive it, I must assume, by rule, 
that I am the only justice. If it does exist and was TRUE, Bascule must
still wait and confer with me before passing anymore judgements. If it
does not exist or was false, the previous appeal on the Great Old One's
win was invalid and should be ignored, by rule.

Malenkai, Part or all of the Supreme Court

John Bollinger wrote:
> 
> The following judgement was just passed down:
> 
> >Call for Judgement 178
> >  Subject:  Resolutions
> >Initiator:  snowgod
> >    Judge:  Techno (selected at 2002h CDT on 3 June 1996)
> >Judgement:  True
> >
> >Statement:
> >> It is permissable for me to declare that P835 and P837-848 will no
> >> longer create resolutions.
> >
> >snowgod's comments:
> >> Reasoning:
> >>
> >> There is no text in the ruleset defining the process of changing a proposal
> >> which creates a resolution into a proposal which creates a rule, therefore
> >> it is an unregulated act and my actions are permissable in accordance with
> >> R115.
> 
> This judgement is in error, and must be overturned.  I hereby appeal it to
> the Supreme Court and take the point reduction myself.
> 
> Reasoning:
> 
> Techno did not take into account the fact that R 660 makes proposals
> protected, and that R 592 prohibits the manipulation of a protected entity
> except as allowed by the rules.  R 115 does not enter the picture -- this
> is exactly the purpose of protection.
> 
> ThinMan
> 
> P.S.: I note that the Supreme Court is obligated to assess a penalty when
> it overturns a judgement.  That applies to this case and to the previous
> appeal as well.  TM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 23:12:21 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: proposal

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> Proposal
> Creation of the game of Eleusis
> Nicolo Flychuck

I respectfully request, when possible, that players submit proposals,
CFJs, etc to the officer responsible for distributation thereof, rather
than just send them to the public forum. It disrupts a temporal element
in the game for those follow this game custom, and eats bandwidth. I know
I'm a hypocrite, I did this today (but have a really good excuse :))

Sorry, bad bandwidth day,
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:30:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 822 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 822
  Proposal 822 - Tue May 28 10:50:58 EDT 1996
  Revision Numbers, Defined
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

16 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  153 -> 163

16 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  Tammany                                                         
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 NO votes:  5 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 822 - Tue May 28 10:50:58 EDT 1996
Revision Numbers, Defined
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

In addition to its effective ordinal number, each rule has a revision
number.  The revision number is equal to the number of times a rule has been
changed.  Rule numbers may be written as X/R; in any such construction, X is
the effective ordinal number and R is the revision number.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:31:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 823 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 823
  Proposal 823 - Tue May 28 10:51:00 EDT 1996
  The Brass Monkey
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

10 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Techno gains 10 points.  187 -> 197

10 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  The Great Old One                                               
  Brinjal                                                         
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  Wayne                  Underworld                               

4 NO votes:  5 points each
  ThinMan                                     180 -> 185          
  Niccolo Flychuck                             71 -> 76           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           151 -> 156          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           178 -> 183          

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld          

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 823 - Tue May 28 10:51:00 EDT 1996
The Brass Monkey
Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

      There shall be an entity called the Brass Monkey, that has no 
function unless specified by another rule.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:31:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 824 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 824
  Proposal 824 - Tue May 28 10:51:17 EDT 1996
  Consecutive Passages
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Techno gains 10 points.  197 -> 207

12 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  The Great Old One                                               
  Brinjal                                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  Wayne                  Underworld                               

4 NO votes:  5 points each
  ThinMan                                     185 -> 190          
  Niccolo Flychuck                             76 -> 81           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           156 -> 161          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           183 -> 188          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 824 - Tue May 28 10:51:17 EDT 1996
Consecutive Passages
Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

      If 10 consecutive proposals pass, the Brass Monkey shall climb 
the tallest building in Acka Land and proclaim --
     "The authors of the 10 consecutive proposals that passed shall 
be awarded 5 bonus points."
       After this proclamation, the score keeper shall increment the 
appropriate scores by 5 points.

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:32:41 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 825 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 825
  Proposal 825 - Tue May 28 10:51:38 EDT 1996
  The Bronze Umbrella
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

10 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Techno loses 10 points.  207 -> 197

10 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  194 -> 197          
  Dr McSpong                                  167 -> 170          
  The Great Old One                             0 -> 3            
  De'ghew                Underworld           119 -> 122          
  Bascule                                     248 -> 251          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           171 -> 174          
  SnafuMoose                                  137 -> 140          
  Techno                 Underworld           197 -> 200          
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  Wayne                  Underworld           200 -> 203          

6 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:33:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 826 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 826
  Proposal 826 - Tue May 28 10:51:56 EDT 1996
  Acid Rain Dance
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Techno gains 10 points.  200 -> 210

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  The Great Old One                                               
  Brinjal                                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  Wayne                  Underworld                               

5 NO votes:  5 points each
  ThinMan                                     190 -> 195          
  Niccolo Flychuck                             81 -> 86           
  /dev/joe               Foozball             163 -> 168          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           161 -> 166          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           188 -> 193          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 826 - Tue May 28 10:51:56 EDT 1996
Acid Rain Dance
Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

      Any player whose proposal number, when having its digits added 
together, equals exactly 28, may perform the Acid Rain Dance.  The 
player performing the Acid Rain Dance shall post a public decription 
of the dance.  Immediatly after the public description of the Acid 
Rain Dance, the Acid Rain shall fall, destroying the Amber Banana 
Tree owned by Techno, unless the Amber Banana Tree is protected by 
the Bronze Umbrella.  If unprotected by the Bronze Umbrella, the 
Amber Banana Tree shall wither and die, and no longer exist.
        Only the Amber Banana Tree can be destroyed by Acid Rain 
unless permitted by other rules.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:33:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 827 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 827
  Proposal 827 - Tue May 28 10:52:17 EDT 1996
  The Amber Banana
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Techno gains 10 points.  210 -> 220

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  The Great Old One                                               
  Brinjal                                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld                               
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                 Underworld                               
  Underworld Unity vote                                            
  Wayne                  Underworld                               

5 NO votes:  5 points each
  ThinMan                                     195 -> 200          
  Niccolo Flychuck                             86 -> 91           
  /dev/joe               Foozball             168 -> 173          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           166 -> 171          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           193 -> 198          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 827 - Tue May 28 10:52:17 EDT 1996
The Amber Banana
Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

      Any player whose proposal number, when having its digits added 
together, equals exactly 21 [ex. prop 777], shall have the right to 
purchase one Amber Banana from Techno's Amber Banana Tree.  The price 
for one Amber Banana shall be A$10., payable to Techno.  Upon 
purchase of the Amber Banana, the player my publicly announce that he 
is eating the Amber Banana as "cows eat grass".  Upon eating the 
Amber Banana, said player shall inform Techno how he should vote on 
the proposal that earned the player the right to the Amber Banana in 
the first place. [in effect, purchasing one vote from Techno]
       The Amber Banana, and the tree it grows on, are protected, and 
can only be destroyed by Acid Rain.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:31:35 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Judgement 175 Appeal

Sean Crystal wrote:
> 
> > Call For Judgement 175
> >   Subject:  I Win
> > Initiator:  The Great Old One
> >     Judge:  mr cwm (selected at 1939h on 2 June 1996)
> > Judgement:  False
> >
> > Statement:
> > > The game is no longer playable because of Rule 663.  This rule gives
> > > anyone the power to proclaim a proposal a resolution.  Therefore, no
> > > proposals could become Rules or change rules, and the game in a stalemate.
> >
> > mr cwm's comments:
> > > Reasoning:  Even if a player has the power to declare proposals to be
> > > resolutions (a point I am absolutely not judging here), there is no
> > > requirement that any number or fraction of proposals become Rules or Rule
> > > Changes for the game to be playable.  There are many ways one can imagine
> > > no more proposals becoming Rules or Rule Changes:  our creative juices
> > > could dry up and never cause another proposal to be made, each proposal
> > > could be withdrawn before coming to a vote, or we could defeat each
> > > proposal.  In each case the game would still continue.  There is nothing
> > > in the rule set to support the claim that the game would no longer be
> > > playable if each proposal failed to become a Rule or a Rule Change because
> > > it was a resolution.
> 
> I am appealing this decision to the Supreme Court.
> 
> Comments:
> I disagree with your logic that Nomic can be played without rule changes.
> The entire base for Nomic is the changing and creating of the Rules.
> Without this ability, it is no longer a game; the point of it's existence
> is lost.
> Players can no longer score points from their proposals.
> Rule 207 states that:
> 
>         "When a proposed rule change is adopted, those players who voted
>          against it receive 5 points each.  A player whose rule change is
>          adopted also receives 10 points."
> 
> Since resolutions cannot actually change the rules, players cannot score
> any points from them.  Entities that add points such as The Magic Potato
> only add points when a Proposal is passed.  Points gained by properties of
> the proposal, such as in Rule 379, also affect Proposals and not
> Resolutions.
> 
> So I submit that the Rules may no longer be changed or added to, as every
> Proposal may be made into a Resolution.  And, because Resoluations are NOT
> Proposals, they cannot modify scores as Proposals do.  Therefore, the game
> can no longer continue or even be called a game.
> 
> I submit for clarity that a Resolution is NOT a Proposal, the following:
> 
> Rule 105 - Proposals must be written down
> "Any proposed rule change must be written down."
> 
> Rule 106 - When Proposals can take effect
> "A rule change will take effect..."
> 
> Rule 663 - Resolutions
> "A resolution may not change, add, or delete any rules."
> 
> The Great Old One

The Supreme Court has just returned from Hungary. It will not even be
able to consider all of the material for at least 2 days, and its ISP
is billing it overtime for the 400 some odd mail messages. I hope "Coke
is It" forks over some money soon:)

In addition, this is the third thing in the Supreme Court's queue.

I apologise for the delay.

Malenkai, acting Supreme Court

Of course, for all I know, Bascule has been confirmed and ruled
on the appeals. I am still going through the mail.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:35:11 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acaknomic: Official

Malenkai writes:
>I also need to know if this is not a name officially got the Governor's
>61 points.

I have sent several requests to the Scorekeeper, but I don't believe he 
has corrected my score. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Wayne. Since 
there is no legal basis for withholding the points, I respectfully 
request that they be added to my score.

this is not a name
Historian
File Clerk
Candidate for Appointer and President

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" --Abraham Lincoln
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:36:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 859

Proposal 859 - Tue Jun 04 23:36:03 EDT 1996
Fixing Leaving the Game and Coming Back in a Different Cycle
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

A player who leaves the game during one game cycle and re-enters in 
another shall not be entitled to claim the points e possessed during the 
first game cycle.

This rule takes precedence over Rules 362 and 691 and any other mutable 
rules which deals with players' entering and leaving the game.

[[Rule 666 specifies that all players' points are set to zero at the end 
of a cycle, but this would not apply to non-players. Rules 362 and 691 
specify that under certain circumstances an ex-player may rejoin the game 
with the same score e had when e left. This leaves a loophole the size of 
Montana in end-of-game situations.]]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 23:39:41 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acaknomic: Official

Ok, I'll give this is not a name his points. I'm not sure if they are
rightfully his, but I'll let a judge handle that.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:05:53 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Judgement 175 Appeal

Mike Epstein wrote:
> 
> >Of course, for all I know, Bascule has been confirmed and ruled
> >on the appeals. I am still going through the mail.
> 
> I checked the CFJ archive on the web page and there's no mention of a CFJ
> even having been made regarding Bascule. Maybe it got lost somehow.
> 

It did get lost. I sent it on May 13 to CotC (it was in my "sent" folder).
I have re-sent it. I believe it was the "missing" CFJ 169. Until this
is resolved, I cannot accept the Court's ruling on The Great Old One's 
appeal as being made legal. I have not had time to read any of the 
relavent mail in detail, so I cannot comment of Bascule's ruling. If
I agree with it, this is mute, but there are other appeals in the
queue.

The CFJ was legally submitted, and it is not clear whether Bascule has
been confirmed. Therefore he has not been confirmed, I suppose.

I need *quick* comment on this, because there is only a limited time to
rule on the pending appeals in the queue, and I want it all to proceed
legally.

As I see it, by rule, I am still the only justice, unless there is some
*consent* that Bascule has been confirmed. This is much uglier than my
CFJ, which would clear it up.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #30
******************************