Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #29
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, June 4 1996         Volume 01 : Number 029

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:13:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  CFJ 182 (Bascule)

Call for Judgement 182
  Subject:  I Win, take two
Initiator:  /dev/joe
    Judge:  Bascule (selected at 1322h CDT on 4 June 1996)

Statement:
> /dev/joe's actions of buying and wearing a Prosthetic Forehead on the morning
> of June 4 were legal, thus he has won the game.

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:21:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (Financier chosen)

ThinMan, as sole volunteer for Financier, gets that position as per 
R482.  The Free Market is open.

As a result, I'm going to start thinking about some Blueprints.  You'll 
start seeing them soon.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:28:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Prosthetic Forehead

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, /dev/joe wrote:

> 
> The supply and variety of numbers between 0 and 1 has two ends -- namely,
> 0 and 1.  It is true that there is an infinity of numbers between 0 and 1,
> but infinity is not what is being questioned.
> 
> 
> If P.F.'s that change the rules or allow the wearer to score points
> are not allowed, then those are ends to the variety of P.F.'s available.
> 
> 

The variety is not ended, it is restricted in type.  You are claiming
"endless variety" means "variety unrestricted in kind."  I contend that
"endless variety" means "variety unrestricted in number."  

(I was going to say I'd lay $A that the CFJ's will agree with me, but I'm
not sure how to go about it.  Has anyone thought about proposing an
Ackanomic Casino, where we could bet on the outcomes of proposals and
CFJ's?) 

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:31:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Judgement 177

Call For Judgement 177
  Subject:  Constitutional Conventions
Initiator:  The Great Old One
    Judge:  Niccolo Flychuck (selected at 1955h CDT on 2 June 1996)
Judgement:  False

Statement:
> This rule states that Proposals, in Rule 629, are unlike Proposals
> mentioned in any other rule.  (b)(2) says that Proposals to hold a CC are
> to be distributed as the Rules specify.  But since the Proposals in this
> Rule are unlike any other, there are no rules that specify how Proposals
> to hold a CC are to be distributed, therefore there can never be a
> COnstitutional COnvention.

Niccolo Flychuck's comments:
> from R629
> 
> (a) A proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention is not a "proposal" as
>     the word is used in any other rule.
> (b) (1) Any player may make a proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention.
>     (2) A proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention shall be made and
>         distributed in the manner that the rules specify that proposals
>         are to be made and distributed.
> (c) (1) If a proposal is made to hold a Constitutional Convention, the
>         Tabulator shall accept votes on the proposal to hold a Constitutional
>         Convention for the length of the Official Voting Period.
> 
> I Judge this to be FALSE
> 
> Reaoning
> section (a) states clearly that a proposal to hold a Constitutional
> Converntion ins not a "proposal" as the word is udsed in any other rule.
> Fine, so far no argument.
> The Great Old One claims that there are no rules that state how to
> distribute such proposals. (b)2 states that a proposal to hold a
> Constitutional Convention (which is unlike other proposals, and therefore
> follows its own rules) shall be made and distributed and the manner that the
> rules spcify that proposals ( here it says nothing about a proposal to  hold
> a Constitutional Convention, therefore we must assume that the refference is
> to the standard kind of proposals. While the rule explicitly states the a
> proposal for a Constitutional Conventions is unlike proposals as mentioned
> in the other rules, it does prohibit the use or the word proposal on its own
> to reffer to proposal of the regular kind. In fact, every refferences that
> does not depend on other rules uses the entire combination ' proposal
> ...Constitutional Convention' , there fore we can only conclude that in the
> one place where this combination is not used, the refference can only be
> made to proposal of the normal kind - and, proposals of the normal kind have
> a well-defined method of distribution, and the method of distribution of
> proposals to hold a Constitutional Convention is defined as identical to
> that former method, the Great Old One's argument falls apart at the seams)

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:41:51 -0500
From: Mick Williams <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Welcome

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Welcome to the game of Ackanomic, Bob!
>
>It's a good old laugh.
>
>Any questions etc. do not hesitate to get in touch.
>
>Has the Registrar informed you of how to make proposals,
>how to vote, and things like that?
>
>Bascule
yes.. i may be leaving anyway... i don't have enough time. i'm truly sorry, i 
would have liked to participate, but i'm just too harried.
just wondering...am i the first female citizen here?  

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:58:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Call For Criminal Judgement 3 (this is not a name)

This strikes me as being somewhat similar to charging this is not a name 
with violating the rule against having an Ackanomic name.  Maybe I just 
don't get it.  In any case, the Financier should note snowgod's CFCJ.

Call for Criminal Judgement 3:
  Subject:  (none yet)
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  this is not a name

Statement:
> Player The Great Old One hase violated R101

snowgod's comments:
> Reasoning:
> 
> The Great Old One declared that he had one the game in a message titled
> "Ackanomic: I win".  He claimed that the game is no longer playable due to
> R663.
> 
> R219 (winning by paradox) states that if the rules are changed so that
> further play is impossible the player may be declared the winner after a
> CFJ deciding the fact.   So long as we can pass resolutions we are still
> playing the game.  In addition CSRs can still be issued, as well as a call
> for a constitutional convention. I content that The Great Old One knew that
> further play was possible, though difficult, and yet submitted a CFJ to
> determine if he was the winner.   Therefore he violated R219 and in doing
> so violated R101.

Penalty:
> A sentence in the Gaol of 8 days for The Great Old One.

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 22:07:13 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Prosthetic Forehead 

I found the most marvelous Prosthetic Forehead.
It is masterfully crafted out of clear glass, it is a perfect fit for my own
forehead.
Its game related abilities are - it has the power to repeal R818.
My claim that it can do this is based on /dev/joe 's claim that a Prosthetic
Forehead can do anything. I will wear it as soon as /dev/joe, takes off his
Prosthetic Forehead.
Unfortunately My Prosthetic Forehead can only be used once.

It seems that if CFJ 180 is Judges false, this Prosthetic Forehead will lose
this power, as long with all other Prosthetic Foreheads. Contrarywise, if it
is ruled true, I wear this one and repeal R818, which will consequently
nullify all powers of all Prosthetic Forehead.

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 14:29:21 -0500
From: Kelly Martin <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Call For Criminal Judgement 3 (this is not a name) 

>> The Great Old One declared that he had one the game in a message
>> titled "Ackanomic: I win".  He claimed that the game is no longer
>> playable due to R663.
>> 
>> R219 (winning by paradox) states that if the rules are changed so
>> that further play is impossible the player may be declared the
>> winner after a CFJ deciding the fact.  So long as we can pass
>> resolutions we are still playing the game.  In addition CSRs can
>> still be issued, as well as a call for a constitutional
>> convention. I content that The Great Old One knew that further play
>> was possible, though difficult, and yet submitted a CFJ to
>> determine if he was the winner.  Therefore he violated R219 and in
>> doing so violated R101.

how does making a CFJ, regardless as to whether or not one believes
the matter alleged in the CFJ is true, violate Rule 101?

k.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 16:20:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Prosthetic Forehead

mr cwm said:
(I was going to say I'd lay $A that the CFJ's will agree with me, but I'm
not sure how to go about it.  Has anyone thought about proposing an
Ackanomic Casino, where we could bet on the outcomes of proposals and
CFJ's?)

=
Now your talking about the Underwolrd's game.  We could arrainge it
so that any particular proposal would pass or fail.  Contact me if interested.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 16:29:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 856

Proposal 856 - Tue Jun 04 16:29:37 EDT 1996
Nice one /dev/joe
Bascule  (Matt Black)

This Proposal is a Resolution

The players of Ackanomic commend the web-harfer on an
excellent job. They note that the ruleset is much 
easier to browse with the new web pages. Their only
reservation is that the magic potato somewhat resembles
a magic turd. However they are most pleased with what
is a grand effort.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 16:30:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 858

Proposal 858 - Tue Jun 04 16:30:14 EDT 1996
Fixing R592
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Rule 592 shall be ammended to read, in full:

- --
A protected entity may not be created, destroyed, or manipulated except as
explicitly allowed by the Rules.  It has no effect on the game other than
those effects specified by the Rules.
- --

Old version:

     A protected entity may not be created, destroyed, or manipulated
     except in accordance with the Rules. It has no effect on the game
     other than those effects specified by the Rules.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 16:29:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 857

Proposal 857 - Tue Jun 04 16:29:57 EDT 1996
Protection bugfix
Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)

1.  Rule 115 ("Permissibility of the Unprohibited") shall be transmuted 
to Mutable.

2.  Rule 115 shall be amended to read, in whole, "All game actions, other 
than the creation, destruction, and manipulation of protected entities,
are legal and valid.  This rule defers to all other rules."

> Rule 115/0 (Immutable)
> Permissibility Of The Unprohibited
>
> Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by a rule is
> permitted and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing the
> rules, which is permitted only when a rule or set of rules
> explicitly or implicitly permits it.

[[ The rule set is already protected (see Rule 660), so this little
rewrite will not place it at risk.  However, currently, R115 allows
protected objects to be manipulated almost at will!  I think "regulation" 
as per Judgement 113 will hold up for a little while, at least as far as 
the manipulation of points goes, but that still needs to be fixed! ]]

[[ I understand rewriting an immutable rule in one chunk is not smiled 
upon.  Still, I see this as an emergency. ]]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:44:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sean Crystal <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Officious

Just a note to everyone, after the current series of CFJ's are decided I
will not be persuing this paradox manner any further.

The Great Old One

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 15:48:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Prosthetic Forehead

> I found the most marvelous Prosthetic Forehead.
> It is masterfully crafted out of clear glass, it is a perfect fit for my own
> forehead.
> Its game related abilities are - it has the power to repeal R818.
> My claim that it can do this is based on /dev/joe 's claim that a Prosthetic
> Forehead can do anything. I will wear it as soon as /dev/joe, takes off his
> Prosthetic Forehead.

Don't worry - I don't plan on removing my Prosthetic Forehead until the
rule is fixed.  Like I said, I noticed the proposal was (possibly) broken,
but instead of simply retracting it and proposing a fixed version, I
thought this would be a more interesting way of dealing with it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:36:07 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:Preamble to a few RFCs 

I've had a number of ideas which I sort of semi-integrated.

First I had this idea that we might want to play Eleusis. At least I thought
that I want to play Eleusis. I suppose most citizens of Ackanomic would
familiar, or at least have heard of Eleusis. If you're not, read my RFC for
the e-mail, version. Basically, it's where the players try to guess at
secret rule defined by the Dealer.
Now in order to play Eleusis one needs to have a pack of playing cards, so I
wrote an RFC for that.  It is  a bit larger than the standard packs. There
are 8 suits, and six face cards in each suits. The pack is written up in a
seperate RFC, so it can be used for other purposes as well, although I
intended it for games within Ackanomic. 
The playing cards have no direct influence over Acaknomic, but the results
of the games they are used in may have an influence.

For the Dealer's role I RFCed an elected office called the Wizard. This is
in keeping with the spirit of the game, and also ties in with another idea. 
Eleusis is basically a turn-based game, and it seemed to me that the best
way to transfer it to e-mail is to keep it turn-based, I can come up with a
non-turn-based version, which would be markedly different, but retain the
original concept of guessing at a rule. If Ackacitizens feel that a non-turn
based if prefferable, please, give voice to those feelings, then seat down
to write some e-mail about it, and post it to the mailing list.

The Wizard has another role which has to do with what I call Power Cards. 
Power Cards have nothing whatsoever to do with playing cards. They can be
created by the Wizard, they have very strict rules defining what types of
Power Cards can be created. I've RFCed both Creation of Power Cards and
examples of what types of Power Cards I might propose.

Now, you may ask, how are Power Cards different than Gadgets. They are quite
different. Power Cards can only be used once. New types are defined by
rules, so anyone can propose a new type, their creation is restricted to a
specific office, and this office would probably change hands occassionally.

Another thing I put in is cost for creating Power Cards. 
So the Wizard may create any legal type of Power Card, but if e can't sell
it immediately, e might lose currency over it, if e sells it, immedietely, e
might make a large profit. E can also to incur no loss, but then e loses
time, and generally, less cards would exist, which might eir role less
important because there less Cards, or more, because they would be more
valuable.

Eleusis and Power Cards don't depend on each other, but I have added a
clause in Eleusis that includes a Power Card in the Prize, if Power Cards
exist. This ties in the two roles of the Wizard. This is also a way for the
Wizard to acquire Power Cards, without buying them back from other players.

One thing I so after I wrote the whole thing, is that Power Cards are
created too slowly, even with clause 4 of Creation of Wizard. So this is one
thing I would probably change.
I thought, instead of creating mostly one a week, something likem creating
one every time a proposal passes, or even every time an official voting
period for a proposal is completed. (there is an upper limit on the number
of Power Cards, and it is expected that if there are enough Power Cards in
circulation, they will be used in voting)

Another option I had considered, (keeping in mind that in the current RFC,
the maximum number of Power Cards in existence is 100), is the following,
when there are 50 Power Cards or less, the Wizard would be allowed to create
one when  a vote on a proposal is completed. When there are more than 50
Power Cards in existence, the Wizard would be allowed to create a Power Card
only when a proposal passes. This would keep the actual number oscillating
around 50

I believe the rules for creating the Power Cards to be well defined, and
adding some variety without causing too much chaos.

RFC

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:38:29 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC - Description of a pack of playing cards 

Proposal
Description of a pack of playing cards

1.a. Let there be an Acaknomic entity know as  a pack playing cards.
b. This rule describes an Ackanomic entity called a pack playing cards. This
rule does not create such an entity, but merely describes it, how it may be
used, created, owned destroyed etc.

2. Description
There are 124 cards in a pack divided in the following manner
There are 8 suits, following are the names of the suits and the symbols that
mark them:
!   - wands
@ - shtrudels
# - cross-stripes
$ - dollars
% - libra
^  - pointy hats 
& - serpents
* - stars

There are 15 cards in each suit. Nine of them are number cards, each card
depicts a number from 2-10. In each suit there is exactly one card of each
number.
There are also 6 face-cards in each suit. Each suit has exactly one of each
of the following:
Ace, Page, Knight, Monarch, Speaker, Nomic.
The cards have colors, each suit is associated with a color according to the
following list:
!   - wands             @ - shtrudels   - Blue
# - cross-stripes  $ - dollars        - Green
% - libra               ^  - pointy hats - Black
& - serpents        * - stars             - Red

In addition there four Wild cards, Wild cards have no suit, color or value.
The four Wild cards are identical. With the exception of the Wild cards,
each card is unique within the pack.
Suits may be reffered to either by their names or symbols. Number cards may
reffered to by their numerical balue, Face cards may be reffered to either
by their full name or by their inital letter.

3. Creation and Destruction
A pack of playing cards may be created by any rule that includes the phrase
:"This rule creates a pack of playing cards." or words to that effect.
Rules may be created that describe other ways of creating packs of playing
cards.
Similarly, other rules may describe methods for the destruction if playing
cards.
Whenever a pack of palying cards is created, or destroyed, it is created or
destroyed as a full pack as described in section 2 of this rule. Individual
playing cards may not be created or destroyed. The Creation and Destruction
of packs of cards are Protected. This section takes precedence over any rule
that reffers to playing cards, or packs of playing cards.

4. Usage
Playing cards and packs of playing cards may be used in games or activities,
if any exist, as defined by the rules creating those games and activities. 
Playing cards only have an influence within the scope of the games or
activities in which they are being used, and they may only be used within
those games and activities in the way described by the rules creating those
games and activities.
Playing cards have no influence outside the scope of the games or activities
in which they are being used.
However the results of the games or activities, whether intermediary or
final, may have an effect on Acaknomic, they may cause currency and assets
to change hands,  they may have an effect on players' score, but only in the
manner described by the rules creating the specific game or activity.

5. Ownership

Each pack of playing card must be owned by a registered player. Any pack may
be sold, bought, traded, or given away, unless the rules specifically state
otherwise.
When packs of playing cards change ownership, in any manner whatsoever, they
as full packs. Individual playing cards may not change ownership in any way.

A player must own a pack of playing cards in order to organize a game or
activity which uses a pack of playing cards.  Other players who participate
in the game or activity may posses cards for the duration of the game or
activity, but once the game or activity are over, all playing cards return
to the owner of the pack of playing cards used in the game or activity.

Any single pack of playing cards may only be used for one game or activity
at a time. A player may own more than one pack of playing cards..

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:38:34 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC - Creation of the office of Wizard 

Proposal 
Creation of the office of Wizard
Nicolo Flychuck

1.
a.This rule creates an office known as the Wizard.
b.A Wizard has the power to create Power Cards, if such entities exist.
c.A Wizard conduct games of Eleusis, if the game of Eleusis is defined in
Ackanomic.

2.
The office of Wizard is a political office and is filled by elections
according to the rules for electing political officers. All rules that apply
to Political officers apply to the Wizard, with the exception that a player
who holds three or more offices, either political or functional, is not
eligible to be elected for Wizard.
[[This has very little to do with distribution of power, but rather with
distribution or work, a Wizard does have some work to do, no sense of
putting everything on the shoulders of those who already volunteer for
everything]]

3.
a.Whenever a new Wizard is elected, a new pack of playing cards is created.
This pack is owned by the Wizard and is intended to be used for the purpose
of playing the game of Eleusis. While a game of Eleusis is in progress, the
Wizard's pack of playing cards may not be used for any other purpose.

b.The Wizard must always own at least one pack of playing cards. The Wizard
may acquire additional packs of playing cards by any legal means. The Wizard
may also sell, trade or give away packs of playing cards, as long as e
retains ownership of at least one. 

c.If a Wizard is left without a pack of playing cards, e is immediately
impeached, and fined A$50, for negligent use and disregard of official property.

d.The Wizard receives a salary of 5 units of currency a week.

e.A Wizard remains in office until either:
(i). The Wizard resigns, and makes a public anouncement of eir resignation.
(ii).The Wizard is impeached.
(iii) The Wizard has conducted and completed two instances of the game of
Eleusis, and there is no instance of Eleusis is in progress
(iv) if a Wizard has conducted and completed four instances of Eleusis, e
may not start any new instances of the game. Once the currently existing
instances the game are all finished e must resign from the office of Wizard.

When a Wizard finishes eir term in office, as described in either (i) ,
(iii)or (iv), e retains ownership of all the packs of cards e owned as
Wizard, as a reward for a job well done.
A player may run for the office of Wizard as many times as e wishes.

If a Wizard goes on vacation for more than four weeks, e is considered to
have resigned.

f. Should a Wizard leave office while one or more instances of the game
Eleusis are still in progress, e may hand over the management of those
instances to eir successor. 
Game instances 'inherited' in such a way from previous Wizards do not count
towards the total number of instances of games of Eleusis managed and
conducted by a Wizard.

g.In addition this rule creates the following entities:
The Wizard's Pot - the Wizard's Pot is owned by the Wizard. It cannot be
sold, bought, traded or given away. If there is no Wizard, the Wizard's pot
is temporarily dormant.
The Wizard's Shop- the Wizard's Shop is owned by the Wizard. All buisness
conducted by the Wizard take place in eir shop. If there is no Wizard, then
the shop is temporarily closed.

4. 
This section  takes precedence over all other section of this rule and over
the rules Creation of Power Cards. It does not take precedence over any
Power Card definition rule.
After the first Wizard has been elected, and there exist at least three
Power Card definition rules, the Wizard is endowed with the power to
simultanesouly create 15 Power Cards, for half the normal creation cost.
These Power Cards are immediately placed on display and are not put Up-For-Sale.
The Wizard must take advantage of this power within five days of the above
conditions being met.
Once these Power Cards have been created, or five days have passed. Section
4 of the rule Creation of the Office of Wizard is stricken from the rule
Creation of the office of Wizard.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:38:42 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC - Creation of Power Cards 

Proposal
Creation of Power Cards
Nicolo Flychuck

1.
a. Power Cards are Protected
b. Power Cards can only created by the Wizard, if such an office exists.
c. Power cards can be created and used only according to the rules

2.
a. At any given time there may be no more than 100 Power Cards in existence.
b. Any single player may not own more than six Power Cards at any given time.
c. Power Cards may be bought, sold, traded, or given away, in accordance
with the rules governing transactions.
d. If a player already owns the maximum number of Power Cards, and receives
or acquires , by any means another Power Card, e must immediately destroy
either the new Power Card, or one of eir existing Power Card.
e. If a player recieves or acquires, a Power Card, that cannot be owned by
that player simulateneously with other cards owned by that player, then the
player must destory one or more Power Cards, until the Power Cards e owns
meet all the restriction placed on Power Cards
f. When a player destroys a Power Card, neither the player nor the Wizard
receive  a refund of any kind

3.
a. A Wizard may create a Power Card if at any time there is not a Power Card
Up-For-Sale
b. The cost of creating a Power Card is 20 units of currency.
    The cost is payed by the Wizard to the Treasury.
  If a rule called Creation of the Game of Eleusis exists, then this section
deffers to the section entitles Eleusis Prize, of that rule.
If the Power Card type definition rule specifies a different cost, then the
creation cost is the higher of the two numbers.
c.When the Wizard created a Power Card e must publically anounce this. E
must also anounce the type of Power Card.
d.Once the Wizard anounced that e is created a new Power Card, it is
Up-For-Sale for a period of 7 days. Players may make offers to buy it.  If
no player makes an offer within 7 days of the anouncement, the Wizard may
either destroy, and be refunded the creation cost, or place on display at
his shop.
e. There may  no more than 20 Power Cards on display at the Wizard's shop at
any given time. If there are 20 cards and the Wizard wishes to add another
one, e must either destroy the new Power Card, or destory one of the cards
already on display. In e destroys the new card e is refunded the creation
cost, if e destroys one of the cards on display e is refunded half the
creation cost.
f. The Wizard cannot use any of the Power Cards on display
g. The Wizard can sell, trade of give the Power Cards on display at any
time, in accordance with the rules governing tranactions.
h. When a Wizard leaves office for any reason e may choose to leave all or
some of the Power Cards on display.
i. The Wizard can destroy any of the Power Cards on display at any time, and
be refunded half the creation cost.
j. When ever any player, includign the Wizard, destorys a Power Card, e must
announce it publically
k. No Power Cards are indestructible

4.
a. The Wizard may only create Power Cards of types that have been defined by
Power Card definition rules.
b. The Wizard may must abide by the restrictions defined in Power Card
definition rules.
c. Power Cards may only be defined by Power Card definition rules
d. Power Card defition rules are rules that have as part of their title the
words:
"Creation of Power Card type..."  followed by the name of the type.
e. Power Card types may belong to type-sets.  When a Power Card definition
type rule includes the words "This type is a member of type-set...",
followed by a legal ackanomic name, then, if that type-set exists, the new
type is added to that type-set, if the type-set does not exist, it is
immediately created, with the type defined in that rule as its first member.
f.Rules pertaining to a Power Card type-set, affect the entire type-set.
g. If a Power Card definition rule is repealed, then all Power Cards of the
the type defined by that rule are immediately destroyed.

5.
a. Power Cards may only be used according to the rules.
b. Each Power Card may only be used once. Once it has been used, and caused
its effect, it no longer exists
c. A player uses a Power Card by notifying the appropriate officer that e is
using a Power Card, and which card.
d. A player can only use a Power Card that e owns
e. In the case of Power Cards that affect voting on proposals and its
results, the appropriate officer is the officer in charge of counting the votes.
f. The results of the use of Power Cards must be published by the
appropriate officer, along with the name of the player who used the Power
Card, and the manner of its use.
g. The Wizard must be notified of all transactions and uses that involve
Power Cards, and must keep track of all Power Cards in existence.
h. A player may only use one card at a time. For cards that effects voting
and its results, a player can use only one card per proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:38:45 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka :RFC - types of Power Cards 

RFC- various types of Power Cards
Nicolo Flychuck

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Yes-Vote

This type os a member of type-set Basic-Votes

A Power Card of type Yes-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of Yes on a
proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence

- ---------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal
Creation of Power Card type No-Vote

This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

A Power Card of type No-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of No on a proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence

- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Present-Vote

This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

A Power Card of type Present -Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of Present
on a proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Double-Me-Vote

This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

A Power Card of typeDouble-Me-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote  on a
proposal. 

The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used. 
What ever the player voted, this Power Card counts as another vote of the
same type.
At any given time there can be no more than 20 cards of this type in existence

- -------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Double-All-Yes

This type is a mamber of type-set Special-Votes

A Power Card of type Double-All-Yes doubles the number of Yes votes on a
proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Power Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time

- ----------------------------------------------------------------
Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Double-All-No

This type is a mamber of type-set Special-Votes

A Power Card of type Double-All-No doubles the number of No votes on a proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Power Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time

- --------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Double-All-Present

This type is a mamber of type-set Special-Votes

A Power Card of type Double-All-Present doubles the number ofPresent votes
on a proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Power Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time

[[The only effect  of this card is on quorum]]

- -----------------------------------------------------------

Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Double-Me-Points

This type is a member of type-set Point-Stretcher

A Power Card of this type doubles the points a player gets from the results
of voting on a proposal.
It has no effect on penalties.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
There can be no more than 12 Power Cards of this type in existence at any
given time
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- ---------------------
Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Half-Me-Penalties

This type is a member of type-set Point-Stretcher

A Power Card of this type Halves the point penalties a player gets from the
results of voting on a proposal.
It has no effect on points received by a player , that increase eir score
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
There can be no more than 12 Power Cards of this type in existence at any
given time

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- --------------
Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Veto

This card vetoes a proposal, regardless of any other votes on that proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can no more than two Veto Power Cards simultanesouly.
No Player can hold more than one Veto Power Card at any given time

- ---------------------------------------------
Proposal
Creation of Power Card type Impeachment

This card can be used to impeach any functional or political officer.
Thje player uses this card by publically declaring its usage along with the
name of the officer in question, and office from which e is impeached.
At any given time there can exist no more than one Impeachment Power Card.
An Impeachment Power Card automatically self destructs four weeks after it
has been created.
The cost of creating an Impeachment Power Card is 50 units of currency.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- -----------

Proposal 
Creation of Power Card type Double-Me-Election-Vote

This type is a member of type-set Politicos

A card of this type is equivalent to an extra vote in elections for
political office.
A player uses this card by notifying the officer holding the elections, of
its usage, and the office and the candidate for which it is being used.

At any given time there can be no more than 12 Power Cards of this type in
existence

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kill Proposal
kills a proposal that's currently on the queue
there can only be two at any time, no player can own more than one at a time
self destruct three weeks after they're created
cost 40 units of currency to make

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get Out of Gaol

Player uses this card to get out of Gaol, the use of this card takes 
precedence obver all other rules concerning Gaol.
There can be no more than 15 cards of this type in existence at any given time
No player may own more than two simultanesouly.

This rule amends R709 Gaol in the following way.
It adds to the list of allowed actions the following line:
8) A player may use a Power Card of type Get Out of Gaol to get of Gaol.
When the player puclically anounces the fact that he uses the Power Card, he
is immediately released from Gaol.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:38:36 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: proposal 

Proposal
Creation of the game of Eleusis
Nicolo Flychuck

1.Let there an Ackanomic entity known as the game of Eleusis.
The game of Eleusis with 8 participants or less is played using a single
pack of playing cards. A game Eleusis with more than 8 participants is
played using two packs of playing cards.
The game of Eleusis takes place in the Wizard's shop, and can be conducted
only by the Wizard. If there is no Wizard, then the game of Eleusis cannot
be played.

2.A Wizard may conduct more than one game of Eleusis simultaneaouly. Each
game of Eleusis uses at least one pack of playing cards. Therefore the
number of games of Eleusis taking place simultanesouly may not exceed the
number of packs of playing cards owned by the Wizard.

3.Starting a new game of Eleusis
There is more than one way to start a new game of Eleusis.
a. The Wizard declares publically that e is starting a new game of Eleusis.
Players may notify the Wizard of their desire to join the game either
publically or privately.  No player may be turned away, unless e cannot pay
the entry fee, or unless there is not a sufficient number of packs of
playing cards for such a large number of players. In the latter case,
players join the game on a first come , first join, basis.
If, 8 days after the Wizard's anouncement, there are 4 or more players who
wish to play a game of Eleusis, then the Wizard anounces the begining of the
game. If there are less four players, the game does not begin.
The Wizard may make as many anouncement as e wishes, provided that one
anouncement is not made within the 8 day period following another anouncement.
b. If six of more players decide they want to play a game of Eleusis, and no
anouncement has been made by the Wizard, they may communicate this fact to
the Wizard, in a public forum. In response to this the Wizard must declare
eir intent to  start a new game of Eleusis, according to the procedure
described in section 3.a

Once a game or Eleusis has started no new players may join the game. The
players who did join, each pays a sum of 50 units of currency, and places it
in the Wizard's Pot. The Wizard places the Eleusis Prize in the Wizard's Pot.
Each of the players who play the game of Eleusis shall be known as a Player
of Eleusis, PoE (pl. PoEs)

4. Object of the game of Eleusis 
Each of the PoE attmepts to guess at the rule made up by the Wizard, which
determines which cards can be legally played at each turn.

5.Setting up the game
The Wizard makes up a rule that determines the next card that may be legally
played. The rule must depend only on the cards that have already been played
correctly. The Wizard must keep the rule secret. 

(here I was thinking, perhaps the Wizard should write the rule down and give
it to someone for safe keeping, perhaps give one person  an encoded version
of the rule, and another the key. I was considering asking observers to
function in this role. I don't know if it's actually necessary, since I'm
also a rule, not present I believe in the original Eleusis, that a player
can win part of the Prize e if e can demonstrate that eir rule fits the
observed facts. Major RFC here)

The Wizard Randomally determines the playing order of the PoE, and sends the
list to all the PoEs.
The Wizard randomally deals out 14 playing cards, from the packs of playing
cards used for the specific instance of the game of Eleusis, to each PoE.
The Wizard sends each PoE a listing of eir own hand, and not of the hands
that the PoEs receive.

The Wizard selects one playing card from the cards remaining in the pack,
and declares it to be the initial card. The Wizard posts the initial card to
all the PoE

The Correct Card Count is reset to 1

The set of playing cards possesed by a given PoE at any given moment is
known as that PoEs hand.

A correct card is a card that is legal to play according to the secret fule,
and incorrect card is a card that is illegal to play according to the secret
rule.

6. Playing the game
a.Each moves begins when the Wizard posts a listing of the cards played so far.
Correct cards are always written in parantheses ( ) , and are preceded by a
Correct Card Count and and underscore. the Correct Card Count always starts
a new line.
Incorrect cards are written in brackets [ ], they follow the last card
played on the same line, unless there is no more room on the line, in which
case they may wrap around to the next line.
Every tenth correct card is preceded by a + sign as well.
Cards that were played as a seqeunce are displayed together withing the same
pair of parnatheses, or brackets.
 In addition to the list of cards already played, the Wizard also includes
the name of the next PoE to play, a deadline and an alternate. 
The next player to play is determined by playing order list, the alternate
is the player following the next player to play on the playing order list,
and deadline is always four days after the current message.

The next player to play chooses1-4 cards from eir hand and posts it to all
the PoEs and the Wizard, or declares a pass (details of these options
below). E must do so before the deadline. If e fails to play before the
deadline e forfeits the play and recievs one playing card from as a penalty.
A forfeit is not the same as 'no play', and the special rules governing 'no
play' do not hold for a forefeit.
When the deadline date is reached, the turn automatically passes to the
alternate.
Whenever the Wizard deals out cards, e selects them randomally from the
cards remaining in the pack. The cards remaining are the pack are defined as
those cards that have neither been played, nor are they at the possession of
any of the PoEs. 

Once a playing card has been played, it is no longer in the PoEs hand.

b.The three options of play:
1. playing one card - the PoE, selects a card e believes to be a correct
card and posts it.
2. playing a sequence - the PoE selects a sequence of 2,3 or 4 cards that e
believes to be correct, that is is, the player believes that if each card
were played on its own, in that same sequence, that card would be correct.
3. No play - the player believes e has no correct cards. 

c.After a PoE posts eir move, the Wizard responds. The Wizard must repond
within three days. No PoE may play before the Wizard makes eir response.
 In case there is no Apprentice, the responses for the three options of play
are as follows:
1,2. If the card played is correct, the Wizards posts the message "Correct",
increments the Correct Card Counter by one, adds the card, or sequence,  in
parantheses in a new line, and posts the updated list of played cards, as
described in section 6.a of this rule
If the card played is incorrect the Wizard posts the message "Incorrect",
randomally picks two playing cards, for each card played, from the cards
remaining in the pack, and adds them to the hand of the PoEs who has just
played. andposts the updated list of played cards as described in section
6.a of this rule. If a sequance was played, the Wizard declares the entire
sequence incorrect, and does not specify which cards were correct and which
were in correct.
3. The PoE who declared 'No Play'  shows eir hand to all all the players. 
If the Wizard finds a Correct card, e adds that cards to the list of played
cards, increments the Correct Card Count, post the updated list according to
section 6.a, and  adds five playing cards to the PoE's hand.  If the Wizard
determines that the PoE is correct, the PoE returns all eir cards to the
Wizard, and the Wizard gives the PoE a new randomally selected hand of
cards, with four rewer cards than that PoE previously held.

d.When there is an apprentice:
for playing option 1,2
When there is a apprentice the apprentice takes over the role or responding
to PoEs moves, by declaring the cards correct or incorrect. The Wizard
responds to the apprentice's responses by posting the message "Approve" for
a correct response by the Wizard, or "Disapprove", for an incorrect response. 
The apprentice must respond to a move within two days, and the Wizard must
approve or disapprove of the apprentice's response within two days.
If the Wizard reponds "Approve", the play continues according to the
apprentice's response, as if it were the Wizard's response. If the Wizard
responds "Disapprove", then the apprentice is fired as an apprentice,
becomes a PoE again ,and may become an apprentice again in that specific
instance of the game of Eleusis.
For playing option 3
The PoE presents eir hand to all the PoE and the Wizard. The apprentice
declares whetehr e believes the PoE to be right or wrong, if the Wizard
Approves of the decision of the apprentice, play continues the same it would
have  without an apprentice. If the Wizard disapproves of the apprentice's
decision. The PoE recieves no penalty, and the apprentice is  fired from his
job as apprentice, becomes a PoE again ,and may not become an apprentice
again in that specific instance of Eleusis.

e.While there is an apprentice, the Wizard does not use the + sign. Instead
the = sign is used to mark every tenth correct card, counted from the first
correct card since the apprentice became an apprentice.

Whenever a 3rd consecutive + sign is placed, or a 2nd consecutive = sign is
placed, (disregarding the cards playes between those signs) all PoE are
declared to be in Peril. When a PoE is in Peril, and plays an incorrect
card, or incorrectly declares 'no play', e is expelled from that specific
instance of the game of Eleusis. When PoE is in peril and plays a correct
card, or correctly declares 'no play'  then e is no longer in Peril. If
player is in Peril, and fofeits a move, remains in Peril.

f. Becoming an apprentice - 
if a PoE believes e knows the secret rule e may declare emself an apprentice
provided the following conditions are true:
(i) There does not exist an apprentice already
(ii) The PoE has not been an apprentice yet in that specific instance of the
game of Eleusis
(iii) The Wizard has responded to that PoE move, and if the next PoE has
played already, the Wizard has not responded to the next PoEs move.
While a PoE is an apprentice e does not play any cards from eir hand. 
An apprentice continues to be an apprentice as long as the Wizard approves
of eir actions. When the Wizard disapproves, the apprentice is fires,
retains eir hand, as e left it before e became apprentice, with the addition
of five playing cards dealt by the Wizard.

The apprentice's role is described in section 6.e of this rule

7. End of an instance of a game of Eleusis
a. An instance of the game of Eleusis can end in one of two cases
 (i) One PoE runs out of cards
(ii)All PoEs have been expelled - except for the apprentice, if there is an
apprentice.

b. When an instance of Eleusis ends the following things happen.
If the instance ended as a result of a(i), each of the PoEs who have cards
remaining, except for the apprentice, if there is one, pays 10 units of
currency for each card in eir hand and places it in the Wizard's Pot.
Any PoE who has no cards, and has not been expelled,  receives 100 units of
currency from the Wizard's Pot.

M equals 12 or twice the number of PoEs when that specific instance of
Eleusis has started, whichever is greater.
If there is an apprentice, when the game ends, and at least M cards, either
correct or incorrect, have been played while that apprentice has been
apprentice, then the apprentice receives everything that is in the Wizard's Pot.
If there is an apprentice and less than M cards, either correct or incorrect
have been played, since e became apprentice, then the apprentice receives 10
units of currency for each correct card, and 20 units of currency for each
incorrect card from the Wizard's Pot, and the Wizard receives the whatever
is left in the Wizard's Pot.
 If there is no apprentice, then the Wizard receives everything that is in
the Wizard's pot.
[After all, it's his pot]]

8. The Eleusis Prize
a. The Eleusis Prize is made up of 150 units of currency provided by the
Wizard, and one Power Card, if Power Cards are defined.
b. This section takes precedence over the rule Creation of Power Cards, if
such a rule exists, otherwise it is dormant.  The Power Card which is part
of the Eleusis Prize is created at no cost, and its type is only revealed
when the specific instance of the game of Eleusis in which it is part of the
Prize, ends.

9. If a Wizard resigns while an instance of the game of Eleusis is in
progress, and a new Wizard is elected, the previous Wizard may hand over the
management of any instances of the game of Eleusis in progress. This means
that e hands over the secret rule, and all records of all instances of the
game of Eleusis in progress. 
If the player elected Wizard is also a PoE, or an apprentice, in any game of
Eleusis currently taking place, then immediately when e is elected to
office, e must leave the all instances of the game of Eleusis in which e
took part.

10. The game of Eleusis is Protected. All entities that are used in the game
of Eleusis are Protected. 

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #29
******************************