Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #20
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, May 30 1996        Volume 01 : Number 020

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 03:57:30 -0600
From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Official 

I am hereby placing myself on vacation.

I will either be back on June 21 or July 1, depending on how things go...

See ya then!

Robert Sevin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:56:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sean Crystal <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: General

I hereby declare a new age of Chaos in Ackanomic.  Join me, bretheren, and
join the Church of Chaos(fern).  Chaos is the rule that the Universe is
governed by, and happiness can only be increased with increased Chaos.
Come join us...

The Church of Chaos(fern)
- -------------------------

THE 9 +- 1 COMMANDMENTS

 1. Thou shalt not commit any action which brings organization or sense of
    order to Ackanomic life.  

 2. Thou shalt not comment any action against a follower of The Church of
    Chaos(fern). 

 3. Thou shalt worship no other idol than The Pope, for his wisdom should
    guide all in The Churh of Chaos(fern).

 4. Thou shalt do unto fellow Ackanomic citizens that which is least
    expected and most confusing.

 5. Thou shalt bring Chaos to Ackanomic in a manner which is creative.

 6. Thou shalt not bring such Chaos unto Ackanomic that its existence is
    threatened.

 7. Thou shalt attempt to obtain office in Ackanomic in order to gain
    more and better opportunities for introducing Chaos.

 8. Thou shalt exploit and challenge rules where ambiguity exists.

 9. Thou shalt respect the elders in The Church of Chaos(fern), for their
    wisdom should guide those of lesser stature.

10. Above all, thou shalt have fun with Ackanomic.

The Great Old One
Pope Juan Lopez I of the Church of Chaos(fern)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 11:16:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka:Volunteer

	From [email-masked] Wed May 29 21:57:49 1996
	Received: from server.elysian.net by future.atlcom.net with SMTP (5.65/1.2-eef)
		id AA25406; Wed, 29 May 96 21:57:49 -0400
	Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
	Received: from romey (ictport6.elysian.net [204.181.47.35]) by server.elysian.net (8.6.11/8.6.9) with SMTP id UAA26709 for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 29 May 1996 20:00:00 -0500
	Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
	Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
	From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
	To: [email-masked]
	Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 20:59:50 +0000
	Subject: Acka:Volunteer
	Priority: normal
	X-Mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (v2.23)
	
	Wayne, I seem to be having a problem sending mail to the mailing 
	list.  Would you please forward the following message for me?
	Thanks.

	I hereby volunteer for the position of pollster.
	
	Techno

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 11:29:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 832

Proposal 832 - Thu May 30 11:29:29 EDT 1996
Postmaster, Creation of
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

There shall be a functional office called the Postmaster, with one seat.
The office of Postmaster shall be filled by a volunteer.  If there is no
volunteer, and at any time in which the office of Postmaster is vacant,
there shall be no Acting Postmaster.  This rule takes precedence over the
rules "Offices, Commonalities" and "Functional Offices, Commonalities"
with respect to Acting Officers.

The duty of the Postmaster shall be to create and maintain an official
mailing list for Ackanomic, so public messages can be sent to one address
and forwarded from there to all players and observers automatically.

All players, except those who are vacationing, must be subscribed to the
official mailing list at all times.  The official list may have multiple
forms, such as a regular list and a digest list; a player need only
subscribe to one form of the list.  The official mailing list is considered
to be a public forum.  There may be other public forums.  Any person
subscribed to the official list who is not a player is considered to be
an observer.

If a digest version of the official list exists, the Postmaster shall have
the privilege of moving any player or observer from the normal list to
the digest list if that person's e-mail is bouncing.  [[This is to reduce
the number of bounce messages the Postmaster has to deal with; I was going
to put something stronger here but it was getting too complicated.]]

The Postmaster shall receive the usual salary for a Functional Office.

This is the first sentence of this paragraph.  At the time this rule is
first enacted, /dev/joe shall become the Postmaster.  This takes precedence
over rule 612.  After this action is taken, this paragraph shall be
stricken from this rule.  This is the last sentence of this paragraph.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 15:10:16 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Stephen F. Roberts)
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says

...So I'm rummaging through my AckaHome. Cleaning out this, purging
that... And I come across this really nice looking red and blue match
box. It was a little tattered, but very pretty.

...And I said to myself, "I don't ever recall owning a match box." So
I hit the side of the match box.

...Out jumps the sparkling image of Phoebe. She was beautiful and I
did marvel at her. She paused for a moment and said:

"...General SnafuMoose, you helped (at least tried to help) a man who
could have been my father (but wasn't) during the game-end crisis,"
she even spoke with parenthesis, "now we (the parenthetical we,
meaning all who inhabit AckaNomic) are again in desperate need.

"...The forces of confusion and silliness reign. The last vestiges of
the old republic are resigning and leaving their offices. Soon,
nothing will be left of what was once the greatest nomic in all the
galaxy (or at least the greatest nomic on this mailer).

"...Contained within this match box are plans that may help you (and
others who may find the match box) banish the forces of darkness." (I
really was impressed with this talking in parenthesis thing). "You
must speak of these plans and restore civility and decency to the
galaxy and AckaNomic (or not).

"...This is our darkest hour..."

"...Help me SnafuMoose... you are my only hope..."

...With that, Phoebe jumped back into the match box. Her mighty leap
caused the match box to fly from my hand and out the window. Sadly, I
have now lost the match box, but I have done my duty by telling all
of what she told me... 

...I feel all patriotic now.

- ---

SnafuMoose
Citizen of AckaWorld

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sean Crystal <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says

   There was once a prophet that told all who would listen that he did
speak to God and God did leave with him a directive.  That directive was
to bring order and decency back to the people of the world.  The prophet
was convincing and gathered many followers in his path of decency and
order.  Faith in this prophet and his beliefs flourished.  Later, those
that heard the words and flew banners of decency and order killed
thousands in bloody crusades.  The order they brought was "worship my god
or die."  Their holy decency led them to slaughter those that were not
equally decent.  
   You can see that when humans try to bring order to a universe which is
not naturally so, the results are catastrophic.  The nature of the
Universe is that of Chaos.  If there is any semblance of order to be
found, it is only an approximation of what is actually chaotic.  Therefore
we should embrace this idea.  Chaos rules the Universe, as it should rule
us.  Join The Church of Chaos(fern), where we praise the natural
functioning of the universe.  Trying to bring order to Ackanomic would be
a lost battle.  Don't fight it, go with the flow.  Chaos is good.  Join
The Church of Chaos(fern).  

The Great Old One
Pope Juan Lopez I of The Church of Chaos(fern)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 18:32:19 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Retraction

I hereby retract 830. 

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 18:26:37 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Offices

I nominate myself for the post of welcomer

Bascule 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:49:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

> Excerpt for R612/0 (Funtional Offices, Commonalities:
>             c)  When at least 1/2 of Senators confirm the Candidate by so
>                 indicating to the Appointer, or whenever 48 hours have
>                 passed since the notification to the Senate, the Candidate
>                 shall hold the Office.
>             d)  Whenever more than 1/2 of the Senators reject the Candidate
>                 by so indicating to the Appointer, the Candidate is no
>                 longer considered to be an eligible Nominee.  The process
>                 returns to section(vi), clause "a" of this Rule.
	Yeah, the appointment was a public message.  Besides which all 
the Senators are on vacation.
	This needs to be clipped from that rule.  Needless blather.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 13:55:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Chaos

To:  Ackanomians
From:  mr cwm

Do not be decieved by The Great Old One!  (Cool name, by the way.)  The
prophet he spoke of was an agent provocateur!  Look at the evidence - who
is served by the slaughter of thousands?  There is nothing more chaotic,
nothing sweeter to the lovers of Chaos, than a bloody crusade.

Ackanomians must rise above the natural Chaos of the Universe!  The random
chaotic electrons of nature could not form as much as a single coherent
bit on their own!  It is only our own imposition of Order that gives
Acka-life its Acka-meaning.  It is the struggle itself, the struggle to
bring Order to Ackanomia, whether or not it is successful, that separates
us from the mindless and momentary eddy currents of Nothingness!  Do not
give in to the black forces of despair!  Fight the flow!  Shun the Church
of Chaos(fern)!  Strive for Order in Ackanomia, that Ackanomia might stand
as a Shining Monument to the Power of Rational Ackanomians! 

(All in as self-referential way as possible, of course.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 12:58:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

> Ah, yes, make sure all the senators are notified.  Fon took himself off the
> mailing list so be sure tell [email-masked] about the selection.
	*disbelief*  Okay.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 13:07:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: President

> I hereby nominate myself for President as the candidate of (None Yet). 
> But since it's not clear that party rules are in effect, I have the 
> support of Mohammed and snowgod, so that should clear up any ambiguity.
	I officially endorse this is not a name for President.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:07:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (Pollster appointed)

> 	I hereby volunteer for the position of pollster.
> 	Techno
	I believe this came from Techno; whether or not it actually did 
is irrelevant.
	As Acting Speaker I hereby appoint Techno our new Pollster.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:23:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 802

(Proposal 802 would add "Frivolous" to a judge's possible decisions.)

SnafuMoose wrote:
> 1d) The verdict of Frivolous shall mean that while the CFJ statement
> may be true to a technical degree given the current ruleset, the
> spirit of the game and/or game custom would dictate otherwise.
	The only problem I have with this is that it does not indicate 
how the game should react to such a verdict.  Okay, a judge should be 
able to indicate his belief that this sort of pedantry has no place in a 
happy little Nomic, but what *happens*?
	I encourage you to retract this and resubmit it in a form that 
wouldn't leave such a gaping hole.  I'd vote for it then...  I -can't- 
vote for it now.

- --Mohammed

p.s.  I'm not sure, but I think there's a rule saying judgements must
abide by the rules.  You may want to change that, if you wish "Friv" 
to be equivalent to "False" in terms of its effect on the game. 
(Personally, I'd rather "Friv" were equivalent to "True".)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:35:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Phoebe has been found

[etc.]
SnafuMoose wrote:
> ...With that, Phoebe jumped back into the match box. Her mighty leap
> caused the match box to fly from my hand and out the window. Sadly, I
> have now lost the match box, but I have done my duty by telling all
> of what she told me... 

Phoebe's Matchbox has been found by De'ghew.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 14:40:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Call For Judgement 174

Call For Judgement 174
  Subject:  Right-Handed Grapefruit
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  Brinjal (selected at 1435h on 30 May 1996)

Statement:
> Robert Sevin does not hold the Right-Handed Grapefruit.

snowgod's comments:
> Rule 666/2 states that "The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and
> given a Right-Handed Grapefruit, should such an entity be defined by the
> Rules."
> 
> I content that an entity called the Right-Handed grapefruit is not deined
> by the rules.  R666/2 only governs the dispensing of Right-Handed
> Grapefruit.  It does not create an ackanomic entity with that name, nor
> does it define it.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:57:41 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: President

At 1:07 PM 5/30/96, Jason Orendorff wrote:
>> I hereby nominate myself for President as the candidate of (None Yet).
>> But since it's not clear that party rules are in effect, I have the
>> support of Mohammed and snowgod, so that should clear up any ambiguity.
>        I officially endorse this is not a name for President.

I too endors this is not a name for president, either as None Yet's
candidate or as a Non Alligned.

snowgod

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 16:23:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 833

Proposal 833 - Thu May 30 16:23:32 EDT 1996
No anonymity
Bascule  (Matt Black)

When distributing a proposal, the promoter must include
the name of the proposer. Anonymous proposals are invalid
and may not be voted upon.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 15:58:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (new political party)

Attached is the charter of a new Political Party.  Now that there are three 
Parties, Party Hall is in session.

- --Mohammed, Acting Speaker

	The UNDERWORLD Political Party

The founding members of UNDERWORLD are Wayne, Techno, De'ghew and The Great
Old One.

The UNDERWORLD is dedicated to the accumulation of power in all its
forms.  Our pursuit of power will not necessarily be limited to Ackanomic,
but may extend into other Nomics, whatever their form.  We intend to use
our collective power to the advantage of our party and its members, and
will not let foolish morality or other weaknesses keep us from doing so.
The UNDERWORLD will not be above bribing Judges or votes.  Our votes 
will be up for sale if the price is right. 

There shall be a Party Boss (PB).  The PB shall be a member of the
Underworld  (UW).  The PB shall be responsible for all UW assests.
If at any time the PB is no longer a member of UW, a new PB shall be 
selected.  If at any time a majority of members support another member 
for PB, a new PB shall be selected.  

To select a new PB, a majority of members must support a member of UW.
Once their support is distributed to all members, the player supported
shall be the new PB.  Any UW assests controlled by the old PB shall be
transferred to the new PB ASAP.  The initial PB shall be Wayne.

To join UNDERWORLD, unanimous consent must be given from all active
members.  New members may be required to contribute a fee set by the PB 
to the UNDERWORLD assests.  If at any time, the party is dissolved, the 
UW assets will be distributed by the PB as he sees fit.

Conditions for removal from UNDERWORLD: 
(one or more of the below) 
	1. abstaining on a proposal {except when on vacation}
	2. not voting with the Party when requested to do so by the PB.
	3. Expulsion by the PB.  No reasoning need be given.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 17:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 833

To:  Ackanomians
From:  mr cwm

I've been contemplating R519 "I'm Just a Bill" recently.  It states that
all proposals are valid, with "proposal" being anything so designated that
is submitted properly.  Proper submission is defined by R105 "Proposals
Must Be Written Down" and R396 "Office of the Promoter."  R104 "Adopting
Proposals" requires all proposals made in the proper way to be voted on. 
(No exception is made for proposals properly submitted but improperly
distributed.)  All of these rules will take precedence over the rule to be
created by P833. 

So, while the Promoter might be subject to a CFCJ for violating 833 if he
were to distribute an anonymous proposal, I believe the proposal
distributed anonymously will still be valid and must still be voted on,
despite 833.  833 might still be a valuable addition to the rule set, and
I might even vote for it, but I don't think it can have all the effects it
claims. 

> Proposal 833 - Thu May 30 16:23:32 EDT 1996
> No anonymity
> Bascule  (Matt Black)
> 
> When distributing a proposal, the promoter must include
> the name of the proposer. Anonymous proposals are invalid
> and may not be voted upon.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 23:39:04 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Stephen F Roberts)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 802

On Thu, 30 May 1996 14:23:12 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>(Proposal 802 would add "Frivolous" to a judge's possible decisions.)
>

...I herby retract 802 and will resubmit with corrections

- --
just a thought
snafu
aka Stephen F Roberts  /------------------------------------\
/---------------------<  and the truth will set you free... |
| [email-masked]         \--------->--------------------------/
| http://www.io.com/~snafu       |
\--------------------------------/

- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GS/AT d+(-)@ s+:+>- a- C++(+++)>++++ ULAH(+++)$>++++
P++++(+++)$ L+(+++)@ E- W++(+++)>$ N++(+++) o K(++)
w+()$>--- O@ M@ V+++(+)$ PS(++)@ PE-(+)@ Y+ PGP+(++)
t+@ 5++ X++ R+++() tv(+) b+ DI++ D++@ G e++>+++
h---->+ r+++ y++++
- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 23:38:04 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Stephen F Roberts)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 802

On Thu, 30 May 1996 14:23:12 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

>(Proposal 802 would add "Frivolous" to a judge's possible decisions.)
>
>SnafuMoose wrote:
>> 1d) The verdict of Frivolous shall mean that while the CFJ statement
>> may be true to a technical degree given the current ruleset, the
>> spirit of the game and/or game custom would dictate otherwise.
>	The only problem I have with this is that it does not indicate 
>how the game should react to such a verdict.  Okay, a judge should be 
>able to indicate his belief that this sort of pedantry has no place in a 
>happy little Nomic, but what *happens*?
>	I encourage you to retract this and resubmit it in a form that 
>wouldn't leave such a gaping hole.  I'd vote for it then...  I -can't- 
>vote for it now.

...Doh! Oops, forgot that part! hehehehe!

>p.s.  I'm not sure, but I think there's a rule saying judgements must
>abide by the rules.  You may want to change that, if you wish "Friv" 
>to be equivalent to "False" in terms of its effect on the game. 
>(Personally, I'd rather "Friv" were equivalent to "True".)
>

...Actually, I had the idea the Friv would be equal to false.
As in those last few CFJs where ppl got on Wayne for not
promoting a public message. Sure he technically should have,
but it really was Frivolous...
- --
just a thought
snafu
aka Stephen F Roberts  /------------------------------------\
/---------------------<  and the truth will set you free... |
| [email-masked]         \--------->--------------------------/
| http://www.io.com/~snafu       |
\--------------------------------/

- -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GS/AT d+(-)@ s+:+>- a- C++(+++)>++++ ULAH(+++)$>++++
P++++(+++)$ L+(+++)@ E- W++(+++)>$ N++(+++) o K(++)
w+()$>--- O@ M@ V+++(+)$ PS(++)@ PE-(+)@ Y+ PGP+(++)
t+@ 5++ X++ R+++() tv(+) b+ DI++ D++@ G e++>+++
h---->+ r+++ y++++
- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 22:43:26 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 834

Proposal 834 - Thu May 30 22:43:26 EDT 1996
Ride of the Rule Ripper
Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)

[[Because of all the material quoted, this is a very long proposal.
Its purpose is to straighten out the various parts of the rule set
dealing with Officers.  It will cut a lot of redundant text from the
rules.  It will also make matters more straightforward when we have to
fill offices.]]

1.  The rule titled "Office of the Web-Harfer" [411/0] is amended to read:

"The Office of the Web-Harfer is a Functional Office.  It is the Duty
of the Web-Harfer to keep the information on the Ackanomic WWW page
up-to-date.  It is the responsibility of other players to make public
any information that should be reflected in the WWW page."

[[
   Rule 411/0 (Mutable)
   Office of the Web-Harfer
   
     The office of the Web-Harfer is hereby created. The Web-Harfer will
     be chosen by the Speaker on a volunteer basis. In the case of
     multiple volunteers, the officer will be chosen using random
     selection. In the event that no volunteers come forth, the Speaker
     will hold the office of the Web-Harfer.
     
     The Web-Harfer is in charge of keeping the information on the
     Ackanomic WWW page up to date. It is the responsibility of the
     other officers to send the information the Web-Harfer requires in
     order to update the WWW page.
]]

2.  The rule titled "The Office of the Tabulator" is amended to read:

"The Office of the Tabulator is a Functional Office.  The Duties of
the Tabulator are:
	"(a) to count votes on each proposal.
	"(b) to maintain the voting records of each player on each proposal.
   	"(c) to report the acceptance or rejection of each proposal."

[[
   Rule 414/1 (Mutable)
   The Office of the Tabulator
   
     Let there be an officer called the Tabulator. If there is no
     Tabulator, a Tabulator will be selected on a volunteer basis. In the
     case of multiple volunteers, the Speaker will choose a Tabulator by
     random selection. In the event that there is no Tabulator, the
     duties of the Tabulator shall be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Tabulator is responsible for counting votes on each proposal,
     and reporting the results to the players. The Tabulator shall be
     responsible for maintaining the voting records for each player on
     each proposal. When the conditions are met so that a proposal can be
     decided on, the Tabulator will report the outcome and how each
     player voted to all players.
]]

3.  The rule titled "Office of Registrar" is amended to read:

"The Office of the Registrar is a Functional Office.  The Duties of
the Registrar are:
	"(a) maintaining a list of all registered players and their
	     Ackanomic names.
	"(b) furnishing new players with any game information they
	     need (current rules, the player list, etc.)
	"(c) keeping track of all of the titles and offices the
	     players hold, and who holds the Magic Potato."

[[
Rule 424/1 (Mutable)
Office of Registrar
David Chapman

Let there be an officer called the Registrar. The Registrar is
selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple volunteers,
the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the event of there
being no volunteers for the office of the Registrar, the duties of
the Registrar are to be carried out by the Speaker.

The Registrar shall be responsible for the following:
1. Maintaining a list of all registered players.
2. Adding new players to the game if they wish to join.
3. Furnishing new players with any game information they need
(current rules, player list, etc)
4. Removing players from the game if they wish to quit.
5. Keeping track of all of the titles and offices the players hold
(this includes keeping track of who is the Gnome Buddy and who has
the Magic Potato)
6. Keeping track of the Ackanomic Names of the players.

The Registrar may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

4.  The rule titled "Office of Scorekeeper is amended to read:

"The Office of the Scorekeeper is a Functional Office.  The Duties of the
Scorekeeper are: 
	"(a) maintaining a record of the players' current scores
	"(b) recording each score change
	"(c) detecting and announcing as soon as possible the event of
	     a player winning the game by points."

[[
   Rule 425/1 (Mutable)
   Office of Scorekeeper
   
     Let there be an officer called the Scorekeeper. The Scorekeeper will
     be selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple
     volunteers, the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the
     event of there being no volunteers for the office of Scorekeeper,
     the duties of the Scorekeeper are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Scorekeeper shall be responsible for the following things:
     1. Detecting and announcing as soon as possible when a player has
     won the game by points.
     2. Keeping track of each player's score and recording it.
     3. Keeping track of all score changes and recording them.
     4. Determining who is the Gnome Buddy and announcing this whenever
     the title is transferred.
     
     The Scorekeeper may have additional duties assigned by other rules.
]]

5.  The rule titled "Office of the Publicist" [426/0] is repealed.

[[
   Rule 426/0 (Mutable)
   Office of the Publicist
   
     Let there be an officer called the Publicist. The Publicist is
     selected on a volunteer basis. In the case of multiple volunteers,
     the Speaker will choose by random selection. In the event of there
     being no volunteers for the office of the Publicist, the duties of
     the Publicist are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The Publicist shall be responsible for the following:
     1. Advertising the game of Ackanomic.
     2. Attempting to find new players for Ackanomic.
     3. Directing new players to the Ackanomic web page, and to whoever
     is in charge of signing up new players.
     
     The Publicist may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

6.  The Rule entited "Creation of a Senate" [478/0] shall be amended to read:

"The Senate is an Office with four Seats, filled by Election for
Office.  The Speaker or Acting Speaker has the title of ProConsul and
will be the head of the Senate.  Only when a Senate vote is tied, the
ProConsul will cast his vote to determine the outcome."

[[
   Rule 478/0 (Mutable)
   Creation of a Senate

     A new entity will be created called the Senate. Members of the
     Senate will be called Senators. Senators are still players. The
     Speaker (or acting) will also have the title of ProConsul and will
     be the head of the Senate. Only when a Senate vote is tied, the
     ProConsul will cast his vote to decide on the outcome.

     There will be four Senators. The Senate will only be be in session
     (exist) when the number of players in Ackanomic is greater or equal
     to 10.

     When there is an empty seat in the Senate, elections will be held
     for that position. All players can vote for anyone they so desire to
     fill the seat, except for someone that is already a Senator or
     Speaker. The votes are to be sent to the Tabulator, who will report
     the outcome. The player with the most votes will be elected Senator.
     In case of a tie, the ProConsul will randomly choose one of the tied
     candidates.

     A Senator will keep his/her seat until voted out or he/she resigns.
     A Senator can be voted out of office by two thirds of the votes of
     the Players.
]]

7.  The rule titled "Office of Clerk of the Court" [489/0] shall be amended to read:

"The Office of the Clerk of the Court is a Functional Office.  The
Duties of the Clerk of the Court are:
	"(a) receiving a request for judgement on a statement and
	     making it an official Call for Judgement (hereafter
	     referred to as CFJ), in accordance with the rules.
	"(b) selecting judges for CFJs in accordance with the rules.
	"(c) reporting the results of CFJs publicly, and making
	     certain that the Web-Harfer has up-to-date information
	     concerning CFJs.
	"(d) any administration of CFJs as defined by the rules."
	"(e) the Duties of the Speaker when there is no Speaker or
	     the Speaker is on vacation."

[[
   Rule 489/0 (Mutable)
   Office of Clerk of the Court

     Let there be an officer called the Clerk of the Court (hereafter
     referred to as CotC). The CotC is selected according to any
     applicable rules for selecting an officer. In the absence of such
     rules, the CotC is selected in the following manner:
     
     The Speaker will request volunteers for the position. In the case of
     multiple volunteers, the Speaker will choose by random selection. In
     the event of there being no volunteers for the office of the CotC,
     the duties of the CotC are to be carried out by the Speaker.
     
     The CotC shall be responsible for the following:
     1. Receiving any "question or complaint about any matter concerning
     the laws and their interpretation" and making it an official Call
     for Judgement (hereafter referred to as CFJ), in accordance with all
     applicable rules.
     2. Selecting judges for CFJs according to the applicable rules.
     3. Reporting the results of CFJs to all players, and making certain
     that the Web-Harfer has up-to-date information concerning CFJs.
     4. Any administration of CFJs as defined by the rules.
     
     The CotC may have other duties as assigned by other rules.
]]

8.  The rule titled "The President of Ackanomia" [504/0] shall be
amended to read:

"The Presidency of Ackanomia is an Office with one Seat.  The player who holds that seat is called the President.  The President's Term of Office is 8 weeks.
The Presidency is filled by an Election for Office."

[[   
   Rule 504/0 (Mutable)
   The President of Ackanomia
   
     A new position will be created called the President of Ackanomia.
     
     The President will be elected by all players for a period of 8
     weeks. A president may re-run for office as many times as desired.
     The winner is the person with the most votes after 3 days of voting.
     A quorum is not required. If there is a tie, the vote is to be
     retaken in the same manner until the deadlock is resolved. Other
     candidates may join in, current may drop out every time the election
     is restarted.
     
     Candidates for the position must either be the official leader of
     their political party (if such things exist) by whatever method is
     used in that party, or a non-aligned candidate officially supported
     by at least two other non-aligned players. If a party has no
     official leader, they are considered to independent. If no party
     leader of a party, or more than one, is registered with the Speaker,
     then all members of that party will be considered non-aligned.
     
     The President can resign from his/her position.
]]
  
9.  The rule titled "Offices, Starting List of" is transmuted to Mutable.

[[  After this proposal passes, we won't need it.

   Rule 608/1 (Immutable)
   Offices, Starting List of

(i)   Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be an Office:
      President, Senator, Justice, Financier, Promoter, Clerk
      of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator, Web-Harfer,
      Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Offices if so specified by the
      Rules.

(ii)  Functional Offices:
      Each of the following Ackanomic entities, if it
      exists, is considered to be a Functional Office:
      Promoter, Clerk of the Court, Publicist, Tabulator,
      Web-Harfer, Registrar, Pollster, Scorekeeper.
      Other entities may be Functional Offices if so specified
      by the Rules.
]]

10.  The Rule titled "Functional Offices, Commonalities" will be
amended by replacing section (vi) with the following:

"(vi)	Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, the
	Appointer shall conduct a Nomination for that Seat.
	After the Nomination, the Appointer shall select an
	eligible Nominee and announce that Nominee's name
	publicly.  That Nominee shall hold the Functional
	Office."

[[  This removes the silly Senate confirmation step.

   Rule 612/0 (Mutable)
   Functional Offices, Commonalities
   
	[...]
(vi)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, the
       Appointer shall conduct a Nomination for that Seat.
       After the Nomination, the following process is followed:
       a)  If at any time there is only one eligible Nominee, then
           that Player will hold the Functional Office.
       b)  The Appointer will select an eligible Nominee, now called
           the "Candidate", to fill the Office.  The Appointer will
           notify each Senator of his selection for Candidate.
       c)  When at least 1/2 of Senators confirm the Candidate by so
           indicating to the Appointer, or whenever 48 hours have
           passed since the notification to the Senate, the Candidate
           shall hold the Office.
       d)  Whenever more than 1/2 of the Senators reject the Candidate
           by so indicating to the Appointer, the Candidate is no
           longer considered to be an eligible Nominee.  The process
           returns to section(vi), clause "a" of this Rule.

   Created by Proposal 612, Apr 16 1996
]]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 23:01:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Misc Underworld

Are you tired of seeing your well-thought out proposal go down the drain?
Does it bother you that someone is trying to propose the "shape of the
Earth"?  

The members of Underworld understand how you feel.  We are here to make
sure that your efforts don't go to waste.  

The Underworld can offer the votes of four players, plus a Unity vote.  If
you need our votes on any proposal, please let us know and we can work out
a deal.

Wayne
UW Party Boss

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 22:21:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  CFJ 174

Call For Judgement 174
  Subject:  Blue Cross
Initiator:  /dev/joe
    Judge:  mr cwm (selected at 2215h on 30 May 1996)

Statement:
> In rule 549, the phrase "Any player who has more than 20 of his proposals
> become rules" only includes proposals to create new rules, and not proposals
> to amend, repeal, or transmute rules, proposals which make multiple changes
> to the rules, or proposals which do not change the rule set.

/dev/joe's comments:
> Reasoning:
> A proposal to repeal a rule does not "become" a rule, it just removes a
> rule from the rule set.  Similarly, a proposal to transmute or amend a rule
> only changes an existing rule.  A proposal which creates a rule and also
> repeals, amend, or transmutes one or more rules, or which creates more than
> one new rule, also doesn't "become" a rule -- part of the proposal becomes
> a rule, but the proposal as a whole does not.  And any proposal which doesn't
> change the rule set at all, such as a resolution, clearly does not become
> a rule.
> 
> If my interpretation is correct, then no player is yet eligible to receive
> a Blue Cross by the method described in the first paragraph of rule 549,
> at the time this CFJ is being submitted (although Calvin N Hobbes is close;
> the rule says "more than 20" which means "21 or more", and he is at 20 now).
> 
> I note that the later part of the rule which deals with stripes is worded
> differently, such that it applies to all passed proposals:  "Then for every
> additional 10 proposals that the player makes which pass, he will be awarded
> a silver stripe."

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 22:58:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: CFJ 173 (correction)

Hi there, man am I a buffoon.  I've been programming since about noon and 
I can't count.  This should be CFJ 173 (yes, we're going backwards.  Don't 
ask.)

Call For Judgement 173
  Subject:  Blue Cross
Initiator:  /dev/joe
    Judge:  mr cwm (selected at 2215h on 30 May 1996)

Statement:
> In rule 549, the phrase "Any player who has more than 20 of his proposals
> become rules" only includes proposals to create new rules, and not proposals
> to amend, repeal, or transmute rules, proposals which make multiple changes
> to the rules, or proposals which do not change the rule set.

/dev/joe's comments:
> Reasoning:
> A proposal to repeal a rule does not "become" a rule, it just removes a
> rule from the rule set.  Similarly, a proposal to transmute or amend a rule
> only changes an existing rule.  A proposal which creates a rule and also
> repeals, amend, or transmutes one or more rules, or which creates more than
> one new rule, also doesn't "become" a rule -- part of the proposal becomes
> a rule, but the proposal as a whole does not.  And any proposal which doesn't
> change the rule set at all, such as a resolution, clearly does not become
> a rule.
> 
> If my interpretation is correct, then no player is yet eligible to receive
> a Blue Cross by the method described in the first paragraph of rule 549,
> at the time this CFJ is being submitted (although Calvin N Hobbes is close;
> the rule says "more than 20" which means "21 or more", and he is at 20 now).
> 
> I note that the later part of the rule which deals with stripes is worded
> differently, such that it applies to all passed proposals:  "Then for every
> additional 10 proposals that the player makes which pass, he will be awarded
> a silver stripe."

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #20
******************************