Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #19
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, May 30 1996        Volume 01 : Number 019

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:17:10 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: discussion P830 

I urge everyone to vote NO on P830.  It is well-intentioned, but poorly
phrased.  In particular, it says that the Promoter "should" include the
name of the proposer with each proposal, but it does not _require_ him
to do so.  The proposal goes on to declare anonymous proposals invalid.
This would give the Promoter the ability to suppress any proposal he
wanted by distributing it anonymously.

I would support the measure if "should" were changed to "must" or "shall."

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 96 18:38:06 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Offices

I hereby volunteer/nominate myself for the following:

Gaoler

Appointer (my second try. come on, no whammies...)

File Clerk

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
        Don't have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:58:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official:  Gaoler appointed

> I nominate myself for Gaoler.
	The Nomination Period for Gaoler is over.  Brinjal is the only 
Nominee.  As Acting Appointer, I appoint Brinjal to the Functional Office of 
Gaoler.
	The Nomination Period for NAP Swinger begins now.  Unless I
remember wrongly, I didn't send out such an announcement before.  Sorry
about that; it was an oversight....  On the side, please note that there
is a legal precedent for "to be in session" meaning the same thing as "to
exist":  see rule 478, "Creation of a Senate".  Maybe that's a matter for 
judgement....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 18:07:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Offices

Bascule wrote:
> I nominate myself for the posts of welcomer
> and appointer.
	Likewise, I haven't yet announced that the Welcomer Nomination has
begun.  It begins now.  I didn't realize so much was undone in this game!
	The rules demand that you send your nomination for Welcomer again. 
You have 3 days to do that (R636.) (Same for Brinjal.)
	Your nomination for Appointer is duly noted.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 18:11:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official:  File Clerk appointed

this is not a name nominated himself for:
> Gaoler
	You're about four hours too late.  :oP

> Appointer (my second try. come on, no whammies...)
> File Clerk
	Noted.  The Nomination Period for File Clerk hereby ends, and I 
appoint this is not a name to that Office.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:20:25 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure 

Rule 648/1, which deals with the confirmation proecedure, state that:

     Should a Senator be on Vacation during the Standard Confirmation
     Period, the Period will be extended 3 days beyond the time the
     Senator returns, if such an extension would lengthen the Period.

This being the case it appears as if my appointment of CSRR and Brinjal's
appointment as Gaoler could be held up for an indefanite (Wow, bad
spelling) period of time.  We have three senators on vacation and one empty
seat.  I saw that P831 (No Dead Politicos) would remove a player from
office after a vacation period of seven days.  This is certainly one way of
dealing with this problem.  But it might create many more problems,
constant elections, etc.

I have another solution, and if I have your support on this idea I would be
willing to write it up and submit it.  Let us suppose that upon the
appointment of an officer the confirmation procedure begins immediatly.  If
the senate is unable to complete confirmation for a period that would
exceed one week (due to vacations, etc, lack of senators, whatever) than
the apointer shall have the option of making the appointee fill the
position in active position until such a time as he can be confirmed or
denied by the senate.  Should he be confirmed he would continue his work in
the office in a non acting position.  Should his confirmation be denied he
would step down from his acting position so that the appointer may appoint
a new candidate.

Just tossing out ideas,
snowgod

Acknomic Ambassador
CSRR (Pending Confirmation)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 18:24:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (dead player ejection)

Meme Complex hasn't done much of anything for a few weeks at least; I 
sent a message to Meme two days ago asking if he wanted to continue in 
the game.  There was no response.
	So, as per rule 362, Meme Complex is no longer a player of the 
game.  He can be removed from the mailing list and Web page.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 18:35:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
> Rule 648/1, which deals with the confirmation proecedure, state that:
>      Should a Senator be on Vacation during the Standard Confirmation
>      Period, the Period will be extended 3 days beyond the time the
>      Senator returns, if such an extension would lengthen the Period.
> 
> This being the case it appears as if my appointment of CSRR and Brinjal's
> appointment as Gaoler could be held up for an indefanite (Wow, bad
> spelling) period of time.
	I don't understand.  Those appointments don't need to be 
confirmed, do they?  *dumb look*  Maybe I need to go back and read the 
rules again....
	No one should have to confirm appointed offices.  They aren't
supposed to have much power, only work to do; that's why they're 
called Functional Offices. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:49:37 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

At 6:35 PM 5/29/96, Jason Orendorff wrote:

>        I don't understand.  Those appointments don't need to be
>confirmed, do they?  *dumb look*  Maybe I need to go back and read the
>rules again....
>        No one should have to confirm appointed offices.  They aren't
>supposed to have much power, only work to do; that's why they're
>called Functional Offices.
>
>--Mohammed

Okay, looks like we both might been wrong.  Looks like this rule states
that you must notify all the senators, and if half of them accept me, or do
not respond within 48 hours, I will hold the office.  Have you sent
notification to the senate? [see part c]

Excerpt for R612/0 (Funtional Offices, Commonalities:

     (vi)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, the
            Appointer shall conduct a Nomination for that Seat.
            After the Nomination, the following process is followed:
            a)  If at any time there is only one eligible Nominee, then
                that Player will hold the Functional Office.
            b)  The Appointer will select an eligible Nominee, now called
                the "Candidate", to fill the Office.  The Appointer will
                notify each Senator of his selection for Candidate.
            c)  When at least 1/2 of Senators confirm the Candidate by so
                indicating to the Appointer, or whenever 48 hours have
                passed since the notification to the Senate, the Candidate
                shall hold the Office.
            d)  Whenever more than 1/2 of the Senators reject the Candidate
                by so indicating to the Appointer, the Candidate is no
                longer considered to be an eligible Nominee.  The process
                returns to section(vi), clause "a" of this Rule.

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 15:52:03 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: None Yet Party Leader 

The members of (None Yet) have selected this is not a name as our party
leader.  Should he choose to nominate himself for the office of president,
he will do so as (None Yet)'s candidate.

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:04:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

> On Wed, 29 May 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
> > Rule 648/1, which deals with the confirmation proecedure, state that:
> >      Should a Senator be on Vacation during the Standard Confirmation
> >      Period, the Period will be extended 3 days beyond the time the
> >      Senator returns, if such an extension would lengthen the Period.

> > This being the case it appears as if my appointment of CSRR and Brinjal's
> > appointment as Gaoler could be held up for an indefanite (Wow, bad
> > spelling) period of time.

Mohammed wrote:
> 	I don't understand.  Those appointments don't need to be 
> confirmed, do they?  *dumb look*  Maybe I need to go back and read the 
> rules again....
> 	No one should have to confirm appointed offices.  They aren't
> supposed to have much power, only work to do; that's why they're 
> called Functional Offices. 

Rule 612 does call for the appointments to be confirmed by the senate,
except in the case where there is only one nominee.

However, 612 provides for a different procedure than rule 648, and 648
doesn't claim precedence, so I think the procedure in 612 is followed.
This procedure gives the senate two days to confirm (or deny) the
appointment, and if they don't manage to confirm (by half the senate)
or deny (by more than half the senate) the appointment in 2 days then
the appointed player gets the office.

There was only one nominee for Gaoler, so Brinjal is the Gaoler now.
There were several nominees for CSRR so snowgod will have to wait out
the two days and then, unless we suddenly have some non-vacationing
senators in that period of time, he will get the office.

I can see an amendment to R648 in the works...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:12:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Confirmation Procedure

> Okay, looks like we both might been wrong.  Looks like this rule states
> that you must notify all the senators, and if half of them accept me, or do
> not respond within 48 hours, I will hold the office.  Have you sent
> notification to the senate? [see part c]

> Excerpt for R612/0 (Funtional Offices, Commonalities:
>             b)  The Appointer will select an eligible Nominee, now called
>                 the "Candidate", to fill the Office.  The Appointer will
>                 notify each Senator of his selection for Candidate.

Ah, yes, make sure all the senators are notified.  Fon took himself off the
mailing list so be sure tell [email-masked] about the selection.

cpf and SMH are still on the list.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 20:33:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: from the Acting Registrar and not-even-acting-Web-Harfer

From the Acting Registrar:
On the players web page I have updated the list for the addition of
The Great Old One, the departure of Meme Complex, and a bunch of office
changes.  In a few days when more offices have been filled I will send
out a full report to all the players.

From the not-even-acting-Web-Harfer:
I am making a change to the web page.  All the pages with filenames
like ackanomic-xxxxx.html are being renamed to simply xxxxx.html.
Currently all the pages have been moved but there are symbolic links so
either name will work.  This simplifies the URL's, though, as you can
now reach the registrar's page as
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/players.html
which is still long, but is 10 characters less than it was before.

I will change all the references on all the pages to refer to the new
names, and then in a couple days delete the symbolic links.  If you've
made any bookmarks or links to the new pages, other than the main page,
you'll have to change them or they'll stop working in a while.

I have also created a new version of the current rules page; it is broken
up into separate pages with just the rules numbered in the 100's on one
page, just the 200's on another page, and so on.  This means you won't have
to download the entire rule set to read one rule.  I have also (on both
versions of the rules) put tags on each rule so that I can make a link
to a specific rule, like the proposals and CFJ's are already done.  I will
add appropriate links into the rule set over time, but I will probably
make the links point to the short pages to let them load quicker.
There is a link to the menu of rules pages on the main page, or you can
jump directly there:
  http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rulemenu.html
The individual pages have a number in place of "menu" in the above URL.
rule100.html has the 100's, etc.

I fixed a couple other things, such as adding this is not a name's gumball
chewing on May 2, adding dates on the recent CFJ's, etc.  Oh, that reminds
me that I need to add the appeal of a CFJ that was sent out today...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 96 21:48:49 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: President

Since there seem to be two rival Appointers, I'll send this to the list.

I hereby nominate myself for President as the candidate of (None Yet). 
But since it's not clear that party rules are in effect, I have the 
support of Mohammed and snowgod, so that should clear up any ambiguity.

this is not a name
Ackanomic Historian
Candidate for Appointer and President

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
   "Slight not what's near, when aiming at what's far." --Euripides
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 21:47:09 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: official 

I am now putting myself on vacation.  I intend to return from vacation
on Monday.

Remember, vote ThinMan for Senate.

ThinMan, the voice of reason.

ThinMan, who doesn't lose internet access over the summer.

ThinMan, the best choice; the _only_ choice.

ThinMan

This message paid for by Concernerd Ackanomians for ThinMan.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #19
******************************