Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #14
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, May 26 1996         Volume 01 : Number 014

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:45:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 811

Proposal 811 - Sun May 26 01:45:57 EDT 1996
Amend Judge selection methods
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

This proposal completely replaces the text of rule 588/2 Selecting a Judge
with the following text:

Whenever there is a call for Judgement, a Judge is selected accord to the
procedure described below:

1. Let each registered player have a Judgement Index, which may be reffered
to as JI.
2. Let TJI be the sum total of JIs of all players who are eligible to be
selected
as Judges.
3. The probability that any single player will be selected a Judge for a
given CFJ is calculated as JI divided by TJI, and may be denoted as JP.
Hence for each player 
JP=JI/TJI  ;   0<=JP<=1 [[in probabilty, p=1 is certainty, p=0 is certainly
not :)]]
4. The officer in charge in selecting Judges, will select the judges
randomally according to the probabilities calculated for each player.
5. When a player is selected to be a judge for a specific CFJ, eir JI is
decreased by 1, regardless of the verdict the Judge returns. [[this is
intended so when a Judge returns undecided, their JI will be decreasd
anyway, being selected is the important factor, IMO]]
6. a. The player selected has 3 days in which to accept or refuse the
appointment by posting, either publically or privately,  to the applicable
officer. Any player who does not respond
to selection in 3 days shall be penalized 10 points, and is deemed to have
refused
appointment.
b. If a selected player refuses appointment, then that player receives a
temporary JI of 0 (zero), and a new player is selected according to the
method described is section 1-5 of this rule.
c. Once a player has accepted the appointment, all temporary JIs are reset
to the value  they had at the begining of the selection process for that
CFJ, and then decreased by one [[see note for section 5]]

7. Let MaxJI equal the greatest JI. There may be more than one player whose
JI equals MaxJI
8. Whenever MaxJI is smaller than 4, the JI of all players are increased by
(4-MaxJI)
8. Whenever a new player joins the game, eir JI will be set to 3
10 The officer in charge of selecting Judges will keep track of JIs. 
11. The value of JIs is public information.
12. The moment this rule passes, all players' JIs are set equal to 4. Once
this is done, section 12 of this rule will be stricken from this rule.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------

[[for your refference - the current text of 588/2 Selecting a Judge]]
[[When Judgement has been called for, a Judge is randomly selected from
among the
other active players that are eligible to judge CFJs, as defined by any other
applicable rules. This selection is performed by the officer who is officially
assigned this duty (the job will be performed by the Speaker in the absence of
such an officer). The player selected has 3 days in which to accept or
refuse the
appointment by posting to the applicable officer. Any player who does not
respond
to selection in 3 days shall be penalized 10 points, and is deemed to have
refused
appointment. If a selected player refuses appointment, then a further random
selection is made from the remaining pool.]]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:46:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 812

Proposal 812 - Sun May 26 01:46:16 EDT 1996
Genderless pronouns
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

In this rule standard English usage shalll be reffered to as SEU, and
Ackanomoic usage shall be reffered to as ACU. The comma character is a
delimiter.

1. All pronouns used in ACU are genderless.
2. The following pronouns shall be considered acceptable in all Ackanomic
communications

ACU - he, she, it, they, e  
are all acceptable genderless substitutes for either of the following
SEU - he, she

ACU - him, her, it, them, em
are all aceptable genderless substitutes for either of the following
SEU - him, her

ACU - his, her, its, their, eir, e's
are all acceptable genderless substitutes for either of the following
SEU - his,her

ACU- his, hers, its, theirs, eirs
are all acceptable genderless substitutes for either of the following
SEU - his, hers

ACU  - himself, herself, itself, themselves, emself
are all acceptable genderless substitutes either of the following
SEU - himself,herself

this rule does not restrict other forms of these to become acceptable
substitutes, as long as the acceptable substitutes are clearly understood by
the Ackanomic population

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:46:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 813

Proposal 813 - Sun May 26 01:46:32 EDT 1996
Recognizing  the Simplified Speling Society and its efforts
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. This rule recognizes the efforts of the Simplified Spelling Society in
constructing a simpler, more consistent spelling for the English language.
2. This rule declares that Cut Spelling, as described by the Simplified
Spelling Society, is an acceptable alternative to standard English spelling.
3. This rule in no way restricts the usage of either spelling system
4. This rule does not prohibit players from mixing the two spelling systems
mentioned in this rule in the same sentence. However this rule will not be
happy without suggesting that such a practice may be confusing for some players.
5. The mood of this rule has no effect on the game of Ackanomic or on any
Acknomic entity.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:47:01 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 814

Proposal 814 - Sun May 26 01:47:01 EDT 1996
The Exception
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

This rule recognizes that there is an exception to every rule.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:47:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 815

Proposal 815 - Sun May 26 01:47:27 EDT 1996
Breach of Contracts
Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)

1.  Rule 514 is hereby repealed.
2.  Rule 551 is hereby repealed.
3.  Rule 607 is hereby repealed.

[[

This removes all mention of Contracts from the rule set.  The rules to be 
repealed read:

Rule 514/0 (Mutable)
Contracts

(i) A Contract is formed when two or more Players each inform the
appropriate Officer of their intent to form a Contract among
themselves. The Contract is considered to exist at such time as the
appropriate Officer has recieved indentical copies of the proposed
Contract from each Player involved along with each Player's consent
to abide by the Contract.

(ii) A Contract is Enforcable iff the behaviours it regulates are
among the following list:

a) The transfer of currency from Player to Player
b) A vote of YES or NO on one or more Proposals by Player
c) The transfer of an Ackanomic entity

(iii) A Contract is not Enforcable if any behaviour it regulates
violates any of the rules.

(iv) A Contract ceases to exist immediately upon being
non-Enforcable.

(v) A Player may call for the enforcement of a behaviour regulated
by an Enforcable Contract. In such a case, it is the duty of the
appropriate Officers to see to it that the Contract is enforced. The
result of a vote may be altered by the enforcement of a Contract
that was in existance before the announcement of the results of said
vote.

(vi) At any such time as all involved Players inform the appropriate
Officer of their unanimous intent to sever a Contract, it
immediately becomes non-Enforcable.

Created by Proposal 514, Mar 27 1996

_________________________________________________________________
Rule 551/0 (Mutable)
Contracts, Preventing Abuse

(i) Fraud:

a) Whenever a Player is unable to satisfy the conditions
of an Enforcable Contract(s) because of a logically
contradictory obligation under an Enforcable Contract(s),
that Player is said to be guilty of Fraud.

b) Any Player guilty of Fraud shall be penalized in the
following manner:

1) A reduction in points of 10 from the Player's current
total, or to 200 points, whichever is less.

2) The suspension of the Player's right to vote for a
period of three days.

3) The suspension of the Player's right to agree to
involvement in Contracts for a period of one week.

4) All Contracts that the Player is involved in are made
public and then deemed non-Enforcable.

5) Automatic removal from the Office of File Clerk,
should the offending Player hold such Office.

(ii) Noncompliance:

a) Whenever a Player is under obligation to vote a certain
way by an Enforcable Contract(s), and fails to comply with
this obligation, the Player is guilty of Noncompliance.

b) Any Player guilty of Noncompliance shall be penalized in
the following manner:

1) A reduction in points of 10 from the Player's current
total, or to 200 points, whichever is less.

2) The destruction of 2 units of currency from the
Player's holdings.

c) If the result of a vote is to be altered as a consequence
of the enforcement of an Enforcable Contract(s), action
to affect this change must be initiated within 48 hours
of the vote or else the ability to affect the change is
void. This action must be accompanied by a valid request
for the pertinent Contract(s) to be made public.

Created by Proposal 551, Apr 7 1996

_________________________________________________________________
Rule 607/0 (Mutable)
File Clerk, Creation of:

(i) The Functional Office of File Clerk is hereby created.

(ii) There shall be one Seat for this Office.

(iii) The Duties are:

a) To serve as the Officer responsible for recieving
copies of all Contracts.

b) To keep a private record of all Enforcable Contracts.

c) To make an Enforcable Contract public upon the request
of one of the Players involved in that Contract.

d) To NOT disclose or make reference to any of the
specifics of any Enforcable Contract unless required
to by (iii)c of this Rule.

(iv) The Privileges are:

a) To receive the usual salary for a Functional Officer.

b) The right to demand receipt of a filing fee of .30 units
from each Player involved in an Enforcable Contract when
that Contract is submitted. This transaction shall be
accomplished in the proper fashion. If one or more
Players involved in the Contract cannot or will not
pay the fee, the Contract is deemed to be non-Enforcable.

(v) An Acting File Clerk has the right to demand payment of the
filing fee. This section takes precendence over all mutable
rules.

Created by Proposal 607, Apr 16 1996

_________________________________________________________________
]]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 08:47:49 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official (please read)

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> 
> 	Separate from that, some Functional Offices need to be filled: 
> the office of CSRR, the Gaoler, and the File Clerk (although I will
> shortly submit a proposal to delete Contracts; a player's word is his
> honor, I should hope).  The Nomination on those three positions begins now
> and ends three days hence.  If you want to be considered for any of them,
> please send mail to me.
> 	Is there a Welcomer?  If you're the Welcomer, please speak up now. 
> If there is none, I need to start a Nomination ASAP.  Thanks. 
> 
> --Mohammed, Acting Grand High Wizard
>
and unless I'm miscounting Political Parties, Party Hall needs to be 
filled up as well.
Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:48:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 792 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 792
  Proposal 792 - Sun May 19 15:45:53 EDT 1996
  Head Start
  Bascule  (Matt Black)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Bascule gains 10 points.  204 -> 214

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

1 NO votes:  5 points each
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           117 -> 122          

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  De'ghew                                     
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        
  Wayne                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 792 - Sun May 19 15:45:53 EDT 1996
Head Start
Bascule  (Matt Black)

When a new player joins the game of Ackanomic, the Registrar
should mail her or him the following:

1. Instructions on how to vote, with a copy of the current
    nomicbot help file, if such a thing exists.

2. An explanation of how to submit proposals.

3. A glossary of acronyms and explanations of said acronyms, 
    including but not limited to the following: CFJ, AOJ, ARN,
    RFC, CSRR.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:50:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 793 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 793
  Proposal 793 - Sun May 19 15:46:18 EDT 1996
  No Proposal Bribery
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

13 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  63 -> 73

13 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 NO votes:  5 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  De'ghew                                     
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        
  Wayne                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 793 - Sun May 19 15:46:18 EDT 1996
No Proposal Bribery
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

This proposal will create a new rule, entitled 'No Proposal Bribery', with
the following text:

A proposal is invalid if the rule change or resolution it contains
discriminates in any way between players based on the way they vote
on that proposal.  If a proposal adds, changes, or repeals rules
that generate effects (including but not limited to score changes)
based on the way players vote, then the additions, changes, or
repeals in that proposal shall not apply to that proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 1:52:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 794 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 794
  Proposal 794 - Sun May 19 21:40:52 EDT 1996
  Numbering and Renumbering Proposals
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

7 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  73 -> 83

7 YES votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               

3 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                    168 -> 173          
  ThinMan                                     138 -> 143          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           136 -> 141          

1 PRESENT votes:
  Brinjal                                    

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  De'ghew                                     
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        
  Wayne                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 794 - Sun May 19 21:40:52 EDT 1996
Numbering and Renumbering Proposals
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

[[ This is the same as retracted proposal 791, but without the extra
section 3 header. ]]

1. The rule entitled "Numbering Proposals" shall be amende to read, in full:

The Promoter shall give each proposal a number for reference.  This
number shall be the least positive integer greater than all proposal
numbers already taken.

Each rule has an effective ordinal number, hereafter referred to simply as
the rule's number.  If a rule change creates one new rule, and does not
assign it a number, the new rule's number shall be X, where X is the number
of the proposal that created it.  If there is already a rule with the
effective ordinal number X, then the rule will instead be assigned the
number X.Y, where Y is the lowest positive integer such that X.Y is not
the number of any other rule.

If a rule change creates more than one new rule, and does not assign them
numbers, then each new rule shall receive be numbered in the form X.Y
where X is the number of the proposal that created it, and Y is a positive
integer; each new rule, in the order that the rules appear in the proposal,
shall be assigned the lowest available Y such that X.Y is not the number of
any other rule.

If a rule change attempts to assign a rule a number which is not of one of
the forms 'X' or 'X.Y', where X and Y represent any positive integers, or
if it attempts to assign a rule a number already assigned to another rule,
then that part of the proposal is ignored and the above process is used to
assign it a number. 

Rule numbers and proposal numbers are protected.

[[ Current text of 'Numbering Proposals':
The Promoter shall give each proposal a number for reference.  This
number shall be the least positive integer greater than all proposal
numbers already taken.

Each rule has a number.  If a rule change creating a new rule does not
assign it a number, the new rule's number shall be the least integer
greater than all rule numbers previously used.

Rule numbers and proposal numbers are protected.
]]
[[ As it is written now, 'Numbering Proposals' made the next new rule after
 proposal 642 passed become rule 643, even though it was proposal 648 which
created it.  Game Custom seems to be that the rules are referred to by the
number of the proposals that created them, but this rule differs from this
custom, and I intend to fix this, both for the future (with the amendment in
part 1 of the proposal) and for the new rules which have been created since
that time (with 'Renumbering Proposals' below).

'Renumbering Proposals' also shows how additional rule-changing rules can
be created if "No Rule-changing Rules" is passed. 

I also added the phrase "effective ordinal number" back into the 'Numbering
 Proposals' rule, since the other rules that relate to rule numbers use this
term, and I added additional checks to ensure that no rule is ever assigned
the same number as another rule.]]

2. A new rule shall be created, entitled 'Renumbering Proposals', with
the following text:

If there does not exist a rule titled 'No Rule-changing Rules' at the time
that this rule takes effect, then at that time, all rules with numbers
greater than 642, including this rule, shall be renumbered, giving each
rule the number of the proposal that created it.  The ARN for such rules
will be changed similarly.

If there exists a rule titled 'No Rule-changing Rules' at the time that
this rule takes effect, then 3 days after this rule takes effect, all rules
with numbers greater than 642, including this rule, shall be renumbered,
giving each rule the number of the rule that created it.  The ARN for such
rules will be changed similarly.  Any player opposed to this change may
declare their opposition by sending a public message containing the text
'____ thinks the rule numbers should stay screwed up!' where ____ is filled
in with his Official Ackanomic Name.  If at any time within the 3 days after
this rule takes effect, N players have declared this, where N is equal to 1
plus 1/3 the number of active players, rounded down to a whole number, then
the changes described in this rule will not occur, and the rule numbers will
remain screwed up, although new rules will still be numbered properly.

[[ Below are some other changes necessary to make this work. ]]

3. Rule 210, 'Resolving Conflicts', shall be amended by adding this text at
the end of the rule:

Hereafter, 'number' refers to a rule's effective ordinal number.
Lowest number is defined as follows:
1. Each rule has a number of the form 'X' or 'X.Y' where X and Y may be
   any positive integers.
2. Among a set of rules, the rule(s) with the lowest value of X are
   considered to have the lowest number(s).
3. If a rule has the number X and one or more other rules have number(s)
   of the form 'X.Y', for the same X and any Y, then the rule with the
   number 'X' has the lowest number among these rules.
4. Among a set of rules with the same X, all of which have numbers of the
   form 'X.Y', the rule with the lowest value of Y is considered to have the
   lowest number.

[[ Currently 'Resolving Conflicts' reads as follows:
     If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if two
     or more immutable rules conflict with one another, then the rule
     with the lowest effective ordinal number takes precedence. If at
     least one of the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself that
     it defers to another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence
     over another rule (or type of rule), then such provisions shall
     supercede the numerical method for determining precedence. If two
     or more rules claim to take precedence over one another, or to
     defer to one another, then the numerical method must again govern.]]

4. Rule 522, 'Absolute Reference Number', shall be amended by changing the
sentence "The ARN must be a positive integer." to "The ARN must be in one
of the forms 'X' or 'X.Y', where X and Y represent any positive integers."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 01:29:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Party Hall (was: Ackanomic: Official (please read))

> On Sat, 25 May 1996, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> > 	Separate from that, some Functional Offices need to be filled: 
> > the office of CSRR, the Gaoler, and the File Clerk [...]
> > 	Is there a Welcomer?  If you're the Welcomer, please speak up now. 
> > If there is none, I need to start a Nomination ASAP.  Thanks. 

Nicolo Flychuck said:
> and unless I'm miscounting Political Parties, Party Hall needs to be 
> filled up as well.
> Nicolo Flychuck

There are only two current political parties, the Foozball party
and the (None Yet) party.  The Oompahpah party ceased to exist when
Device left the game because that left it with only two members, Fon
and Merlin the Happy Pig.

As I read the rule, Party Hall seats should still be filled, even if we
don't have the 3 parties needed to bring it into session.  The rule simply
says:

"The Party Hall will be in session when there are three or more parties."

and, about filling seats in Party Hall:

"Each Party will have exactly one representative in Party Hall. The
represenatative will be chosen by the party by a method decided upon by the
party. 
The remaining seat will be occupied by a Player who is not a Party member -
i.e. a Non-Aligned Player, or  the NAP Swinger.
A Swinger, whether a Party Swinger, or a NAP Swinger, holds e's seat until e
resigns or voted out.
A Swinger can be voted out by 2/3 of the Players.
Whenever a Party Seat becomes vacant the Party whose Seat has been vacated
is responsible for filling that seat within one week."

The same situation happens in real life, that someone may be elected or
appointed to a position that doesn't do anything immediately.  It is
happening in Texas soon, as one member of the state legislature resigned
and the seat will be filled by a special election, even though the
legislature will probably not meet again until after the regular elections
this November.  (Only if the governor calls a special session would the
person elected in the special election ever do anything.)

I chose myself to represent Foozball in Party Hall back when all the
other members of my party were on vacation (hmm, that situation might
still exist...).  The (None Yet) party needs to choose its Swinger and
the NAP Swinger needs to be elected.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 01:40:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 794 Passes

> Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes
> 7 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> Proposal PASSES

> Proposal 794 - Sun May 19 21:40:52 EDT 1996
> Numbering and Renumbering Proposals
> /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

> 2. A new rule shall be created, entitled 'Renumbering Proposals', with
> the following text:
> 
> If there does not exist a rule titled 'No Rule-changing Rules' at the time
> that this rule takes effect, then at that time, all rules with numbers
> greater than 642, including this rule, shall be renumbered, giving each
> rule the number of the proposal that created it.  The ARN for such rules
> will be changed similarly.
> 
> If there exists a rule titled 'No Rule-changing Rules' at the time that
> this rule takes effect, then 3 days after this rule takes effect, all rules
> with numbers greater than 642, including this rule, shall be renumbered,
 [...]

I note that 'No Rule-changing Rules', part of proposal 770, failed, so
the first section of 'Renumbering Proposals' is the one that shall have
its effect, and the numbers for recently-added rules are all now equal
to the numbers of the proposals which created them.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 03:07:00 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic: One Time Special =?iso-8859-1?Q?Offer=21=81?= 

Hey! Do have trouble keeping track of the rules?  Do you curse when the
Web-Harfer goes on vacation?  Do you wish you had the time or energy to
keep you own copy of the Ackanomic Ruleset up-to-date?  Well, boy, do I
have a deal for you!

I have a copy of the Ackanomic Ruleset that I will be willing to Email to
you today - Absolutely Free!!! All you have to do is ask.  This ruleset is
up to date as of the latest voting results!

So what do you have to do to get your very own copy of the Rule set?  Just
send me email and I'll put a copy in your mailbox as soon as I get your
request!

Now, you may be asking why would I offer you such an amazing deal?  Simple
really, I want you to consider the merits of P806 (Rule Buddy).  Should the
Rule Buddy pass, you will always have a copy of the current rules at your
fingertips!  Of course, it may not be free, but then the good things in
life never are.  Should the Rule Buddy exist, he will have the option of
setting his fee at any sum between A$0 and A$50.  Being the Rule Buddy
would be a bitch, i'll be the first to admit, and anyone willing to do that
much work deserves some sort of reward!

Some people may wonder why the players pay his wage, instead of the
treasury.  Well, think back to Economics 101.  Remember the law of supply
and demand?  The bettter a job the Rule Buddy does, the more people will be
willing to pay for his product (and he IS providing a product!)   Some
people may be willing to pay a premium price, for example, for a tab
delimited text file that they can import into a database program.  Or
suppose the rule buddy does a bad job, and his ruleset is always slightly
out of date or badly formatted, NOBODY will be willing to pay for that
service and the Rule Buddy will not make any money.  I know that if I was
the Rule Buddy, that would be enough incentive for me to get my act
together.

So don't delay!  Request your free copy of the current ruleset today, and
consider a vote of YES for our friend, the Rule Buddy!

snowgod
Ackanomic Ambassador
Candidate for CSRR

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 96 11:51:59 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Party Hall (was: Ackanomic: Official (please read))

>I chose myself to represent Foozball in Party Hall back when all the
>other members of my party were on vacation (hmm, that situation might
>still exist...).  The (None Yet) party needs to choose its Swinger and
>the NAP Swinger needs to be elected.

I am the (None Yet) Swinger.

this is not a name
Ackanomic Historian

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"Don't condescend to unskilled labor. Try it for half a day first."
                                       --Brooks Atkinson
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 19:01:45 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: CSRR Candidacy

BASCULE FOR CSRR

Given that Malenkai is off sunning himself in the Bahamas, there
is a glaring absence of a "do-nothing" candidate for the post of
CSRR. Therefore, I am standing for CSRR.

I urge the Malenkai faction (Techno and Niccolo Flychuck among
others) to switch their endorsements to me, unless he should
come back from vacation pronto.

If chosen as CSRR, I solemnly promise to do almost absolutely
nothing in the position. Except when I'm _reeeally_ bored.

Bascule
PROTECT THE RULES

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 15:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Discussion P806

To:  Ackanomians
From:  mr cwm

I'm not sure what the Rule Buddy rule would accomplish.  Doesn't each of
us already have the right to charge another player A$ (or just $, for that
matter) in return for an unregulated service?  Will 806 be interpreted
only to put a limit on the amount of A$ that a particular player may
charge for a particular service?  That's all it says, but I fear that game
custom would grow prohibiting anyone else from providing the same service,
otherwise the rule would have no real point.  Then we are no longer
looking at "supply and demand" where the Rule Buddy has incentive to
provide well-formatted rule sets to maximize income, but are, instead,
looking at a regulated monopoly where the Rule Buddy can pass one long
string of characters off as the Rule Set, since they will have no
competition.

So, the rule seems pointless when strictly interpreted, and damaging as
possibly interpreted.  I believe I'll vote "no," unless a good
counter-argument arises.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 23:47:12 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: CSRR Candidacy 

At 07:01 PM 26/05/96 +0000, Matt wrote:
>BASCULE FOR CSRR
>
>Given that Malenkai is off sunning himself in the Bahamas, there
>is a glaring absence of a "do-nothing" candidate for the post of
>CSRR. Therefore, I am standing for CSRR.
>
>I urge the Malenkai faction (Techno and Niccolo Flychuck among
>others) to switch their endorsements to me, unless he should
>come back from vacation pronto.
>
>If chosen as CSRR, I solemnly promise to do almost absolutely
>nothing in the position. Except when I'm _reeeally_ bored.
>
>Bascule
>PROTECT THE RULES
>
Since Malenkai is on vacation, and Bascule is an obvious supporter of
Malenkai's CSRR agenda, I transfer my endorsment to him.
If Malenkai does come back from vacation, let Bascule and Malenkai work it
out between themselves as to the actual candidacy.
One comment though, being bored is not a good time to start acting as CSRR
Nicolo Flychuck

>
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 16:26:07 +0000
From: "Jerome Herrman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: CSRR Candidacy

>BASCULE FOR CSRR

>Given that Malenkai is off sunning himself in the Bahamas, there
>is a glaring absence of a "do-nothing" candidate for the post of
>CSRR. Therefore, I am standing for CSRR.

>I urge the Malenkai faction (Techno and Niccolo Flychuck among
>others) to switch their endorsements to me, unless he should
>come back from vacation pronto.

>If chosen as CSRR, I solemnly promise to do almost absolutely
>nothing in the position. Except when I'm _reeeally_ bored.

>Bascule
>PROTECT THE RULES

You have my support!!!

Techno

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 16:28:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  CSRR Campaigning

> As CSRR I promise that I will examine the rules and issue a Common Sense
> Report only when i discover a glaring inconsistancy in the rules.  I shall
> be responsive to players suggestions, but I will not issue CSRs to gain
> political favor.
> 
> snowgod
> Your Common Sense Candidate for CSRR

I support snowgod for CSRR officer.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 14:22:09 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Discussion P806

At 3:14 PM 5/26/96, mr cwm wrote:
>To:  Ackanomians
>From:  mr cwm
>
>I'm not sure what the Rule Buddy rule would accomplish.  Doesn't each of
>us already have the right to charge another player A$ (or just $, for that
>matter) in return for an unregulated service?  Will 806 be interpreted
>only to put a limit on the amount of A$ that a particular player may
>charge for a particular service?  That's all it says, but I fear that game
>custom would grow prohibiting anyone else from providing the same service,
>otherwise the rule would have no real point.  Then we are no longer
>looking at "supply and demand" where the Rule Buddy has incentive to
>provide well-formatted rule sets to maximize income, but are, instead,
>looking at a regulated monopoly where the Rule Buddy can pass one long
>string of characters off as the Rule Set, since they will have no
>competition.
>
>So, the rule seems pointless when strictly interpreted, and damaging as
>possibly interpreted.  I believe I'll vote "no," unless a good
>counter-argument arises.

Currently we have no official keeper of the rules.  R411 (Mutable), when
strictly interpreted, does not require the web harfer to maintain a current
copy of the rules.  And we've seen what happens when the Web-Harfer goes on
vacation... If it weren't for the efforts of our Acting Speaker, Mohammed,
there would be many players out there who would have no idea which rules
are in affect, or how those rules are numbered.

I don't believe that the Rule Buddy would prohibit other's from maintaing
and selling a copy of the rule set should they so desire.  What the Rule
Buddy would do is garantee that there is ALWAYS someone who has a current
copy of the rules that is readily available.  The rule states that the Rule
Buddy is required to maintain a copy of the rule set that is up to date
withing three days.  It does NOT prohibit others from doing the same.

Should such a monopoly become a problem in the future it would be possible
to amend the Rule Buddy to explicitly allow other players to maintain and
provide copies of the ruleset, so long as the Rule Buddy is still
*required* too.

snowgod
Ackanomic Ambassador
Candidate for CSRR

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 14:30:18 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: CSRR: Get the Vote Out! 

I urge everyone who has not yet sent in an endorsement to do so, regardless
of your candidate!

Don't know if it's necessary to  say, but for the purposes of polling I
suppport myself :)

snowgod
Common Sense Candidate for CSRR

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 23:50:36 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Misc: Campaign Rally

                          **** PROTECT THE RULES ****

VOTE BASCULE FOR CSRR! BASCULE FOR CSRR!

If elected as CSRR I will do ALMOST ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

[The crowd is cheering! There are cries of "Hurrah!", and "Bascule
for CSRR!". Bascule poses for a second for the Press contingent. 
[FLASH][FLASH][FLASH]]

If elected as CSRR, CONFUSION over the legal GUMBALL
CHEWING-TIMES will CONTINUE!

[Crowd: Hooray! Bascule! Bascule for CSRR! ]

The DEMOCRATIC PROCESS OF VOTING is SAFE IN MY HANDS!

[Crowd goes wild and storms the podium. Bascule is crushed underneath 
adoring fans]

                          **** PROTECT THE RULES ****

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #14
******************************