Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #13
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, May 26 1996         Volume 01 : Number 013

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 96 10:07:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 790 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 790
  Proposal 790 - Sat May 18 11:26:18 EDT 1996
  Fat Lady
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

11 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

snowgod gains 10 points.  61 -> 71

11 YES votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  Brinjal                                                         
  ThinMan                                                         
  De'ghew                                                         
  Bascule                                                         
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  Tammany                                                         
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

3 NO votes:  5 points each
  Niccolo Flychuck                             76 -> 81           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           112 -> 117          
  Wayne                                       169 -> 174          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  Malenkai                                    
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 790 - Sat May 18 11:26:18 EDT 1996
Fat Lady
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

This rule creates an Acknomic entity known as the Fat Lady.  The Fat Lady
cannot be owned or controlled except as described in the rules.

The Fat Lady shall sing only if a player wins the game in accordance with
the rules.  The speaker is required to announce that the Fat Lady is
singing upon a winner being declared, and the Fat Lady will not sing until
the speaker announces that she is doing so.

Furthermore, the game cannot be over till the Fat Lady sings.

This rule take precendence over all other rules dealing with end-of-game
conditions.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 18:12:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Judgement 171

I can't tell which is worse, playing a game with no Acting Speaker, or 
having to be the Acting Speaker.  :o)  This coming Monday I won't forget 
about the Potato; promise.

Judgement 171
  Subject:  Speakership
Initiator:  Malenkai
    Judge:  mr cwm (selected at 1400h CDT on 21 May 1996)
Judgement:  True

Statement:
> Mohammed is the Acting Speaker.

Malenkai's comments:
> It comes down to vacation interpretation again. The facts may be
> different when the CFJ is filed from the time it is adjudicated. That
> is the Judge's problem :) Hopefully it will be irrelevant.

mr cwm's comments:
> Reasoning:  The Rule "Speaker" directs that the Clerk of the Court be
> Acting Speaker for the duration of the Speaker's vacation, if the Speaker
> does not select appoint volunteer. As no volunteer has been appointed, and
> Mohammed is Clerk of the Court, and the Speaker, Robert Sevin, is on
> vacation in accordance with the Rule "Vacationing," I must find that
> Mohammed is Acting Speaker. 
> 
> Note that the Rule "Vacationing" only requires that a player make a public
> request that he desires to be on vacation, and that the player's only
> legal action during vacation is to remove himself from vacation, by making
> a public declaration that he is doing so.  The following messsage from
> Robert Sevin is evidence that he has made a public request to be on
> vacation.  The fact that his announced return date has passed is
> irrelevant, as the only method of returning from vacation is a public
> declaration that he is back, and Robert Sevin has not yet made such a
> declaration.
> 
> > From [email-masked] Wed May 15 17:23:19 1996
> > Sender: [email-masked]
> > Precedence: bulk
> > Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> > X-Sender: [email-masked]
> > X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
> > Mime-Version: 1.0
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> > Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 16:09:41 -0500
> > To: [email-masked]
> > From: Mitchell Harding <[email-masked]>
> > Subject: Ackanomic: Official
> > 
> > I am hereby putting myself on vacation until Friday, May 17, 1996 at 5pm
> > CDT. I will get the web page and my other affairs caught up in that time...
> > I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused.
> > 
> > Robert Sevin
> > 

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts, Acting Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 18:47:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Misc:  Senator resigns

>   Proposal 786 - Sat May 18 11:22:30 EDT 1996
>   Gadgets
>   Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)
> 
> Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes
> 
> 12 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> Proposal PASSES
	I hereby resign from the Senate.  Enjoy.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 19:20:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official (please read)

On Sat, 25 May 1996, mr cwm wrote:
> It is not clear to me that Robert Sevin has, in fact, resigned all his
> offices.
	I'm taking the liberty of making this statement public in the 
interest of the game.  What mr cwm has noticed is the following:

(from the ruleset)
> Rule 457/2 (Mutable)
> . . . The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take himself
> off vacation. . . .

(from Mitchell Harding's message)
> I am not dead, so don't delete me. I am hereby on vacation until May 29th
>	[...]
> I suggest you give my offices to other, more active individuals. I hereby
> resign from all of my offices...
	Robert Sevin first places himself on Vacation, according to 
the current rules.  Either he was on Vacation anyway (and has not 
returned) or he put himself on Vacation with that statement.
	Then, on vacation, he states his resignation from all offices.
	I request that someone who can contact Mitchell independently of
the Internet please ask him to make his resignations "official" ("I come
back from vacation; I resign; I'm on vacation"), assuming that was his
intent.  In the meantime, I'm acting Speaker-President-Appointer, etc.  
(Please hurry.)
	I'm prepared to hold elections/nominations for all the offices RS
wishes to vacate.  As of Mitchell's most recent Web page, they are:
Speaker, President, Appointer, Publicist, Web-Harfer.  Don't nominate
yourselves yet; I can't take names until the nomination period begins.

	Separate from that, some Functional Offices need to be filled: 
the office of CSRR, the Gaoler, and the File Clerk (although I will
shortly submit a proposal to delete Contracts; a player's word is his
honor, I should hope).  The Nomination on those three positions begins now
and ends three days hence.  If you want to be considered for any of them,
please send mail to me.
	Is there a Welcomer?  If you're the Welcomer, please speak up now. 
If there is none, I need to start a Nomination ASAP.  Thanks. 

- --Mohammed, Acting Grand High Wizard

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 19:50:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official

I wrote:
> 	I hereby resign from the Senate.  Enjoy.
	This means there is a Senate seat open.  Send your votes to the
tabulator; check out rule 478 for details.  Unless I've overlooked
something, the election will end five days from now (a slight stretch of
R636). 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 20:03:19 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Official & Important 

I officially ask to be taken off vacation, Calvin N Hobbes.

Now, I have contacted Robert Sevin in the "real world".

He DOES resign from ALL his duties. Whatever the phrasing may have been, it
is not important per se. He is having technical difficulties, and simply
cannot keep his jobs right now.

>	Is there a Welcomer?  If you're the Welcomer, please speak up now. 
>If there is none, I need to start a Nomination ASAP.  Thanks. 

The Welcomer is CPF. He currently on holiday... last I heard. So don't
expect that much of a reply.   : )

Oh! Before I forget... I've had some software problems myself. Malenkai, you
need to send me something again. Thanks.

I officially ask to be put on vacation again. Calvin N Hobbes.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 20:17:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Misc

> >	Is there a Welcomer?  If you're the Welcomer, please speak up now. 
> >If there is none, I need to start a Nomination ASAP.  Thanks. 
> 
> The Welcomer is CPF. He currently on holiday... last I heard. So don't
> expect that much of a reply.   : )
	Great, so I'm Acting Welcomer and Registrar as well.
	Anyone else want to take a little break?  I'll just take every 
job in the game....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 17:17:03 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Official: Nomination

>        Separate from that, some Functional Offices need to be filled:
>the office of CSRR, the Gaoler, and the File Clerk (although I will
>shortly submit a proposal to delete Contracts; a player's word is his
>honor, I should hope).  The Nomination on those three positions begins now
>and ends three days hence.  If you want to be considered for any of them,
>please send mail to me.

I nominate myself for the office of CSRR.  If it is permitted I also
nominate Malenkai, since he is on vacation and may not nominate himself.
If this is not permitted I reccomend that his campaign manager, Bascule (I
think), nominate Malenkai in absentia and conduct any campaign business
that he may require.

snowgod

CC: Acting Apointer

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 20:20:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: ackanomic: official: volunteering

I volunteer for the offices of registrar and web-harfer, if they are
vacant now.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 17:23:48 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic:  Official & Important

At 8:03 PM 5/25/96, T Joffrain wrote:
>I officially ask to be taken off vacation, Calvin N Hobbes.
>
>Now, I have contacted Robert Sevin in the "real world".
>
>He DOES resign from ALL his duties. Whatever the phrasing may have been, it
>is not important per se. He is having technical difficulties, and simply
>cannot keep his jobs right now.

I believe that until Robert Seven removes himself from vacation, and
resigns all offices he still holds them. Last I knew there was no
resignation by proxy.  We all know his intent was to resign from office,
but until the action is legally preformed, I believe Robert Sevin still
holds office.  Should Robert Seven be unable to send mail removing himself
from vacation, resigning, and going back on vacation from his computer,
possibly Calvin N Hobbs can configure his mail client to log into Robert
Sevins POP account so the he can resign using CNH's computer.

snowgod

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 20:46:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Official: Nomination

> I nominate myself for the office of CSRR.  If it is permitted I also
> nominate Malenkai, since he is on vacation and may not nominate himself.
> If this is not permitted I reccomend that his campaign manager, Bascule (I
> think), nominate Malenkai in absentia and conduct any campaign business
> that he may require.
	That is not possible under the current rule set.  Rotten timing.
	Fortunately, Malenkai is not unique in his ability to carry out
the duties of CSRRO as he sees them.  In fact, anyone who believes the
rule set should not be modified by CSR may nominate himself for the office
without any fear of taking on extra game duties.  I strongly urge Bascule 
or some other player who shares Malenkai's view to step forward soon.
	As I am not Appointer on a mandate from the public but merely in
an Acting capacity, I feel bound to make my decisions in accordance with
general opinion.  I will keep a count of endorsements (public and private)
received in this mailbox for CSSRO and the other offices over the next
three days.  My decision will be based entirely on this count. 

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 19:02:47 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic:  CSRR Campaigning 

Nominations have officially been announced for the office of Common Sense,
Redundancy, and Redundancy.

Acting Appointer Mohammed has stated that he will review endorsements given
for each candidate and base his appointment solely on the prevailing
sentiment.  Regardless of who you support for the office of CSRR I urge you
to send him an endorsement of your candidate.

As CSRR I promise that I will examine the rules and issue a Common Sense
Report only when i discover a glaring inconsistancy in the rules.  I shall
be responsive to players suggestions, but I will not issue CSRs to gain
political favor.

My opponent, if I have one (bad timing on Malenkai's part) will do
absolutely nothing in the position of CSRR.

I had planned a series of Video Commercials in quicktime format, as well as
broadcast on CU-seeME, but in the absense of Malenkai's candidacy, I will
not run those commercials.

snowgod
Your Common Sense Candidate for CSRR

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #13
******************************