Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #7
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Wednesday, May 22 1996        Volume 01 : Number 007

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:49:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 752 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 752
  Proposal 752 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Gnome Tribe
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

10 YES votes   8 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  10 -> 0

10 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  101 -> 104          
  gnome                                                           
  De'ghew                                      67 -> 70           
  Bascule                                     150 -> 153          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            45 -> 48           
  Calvin N Hobbes                               0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            68 -> 71           
  SnafuMoose                                   63 -> 66           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         18 -> 21           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            84 -> 87           

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  Techno                                                          
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:56:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 753 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 753
  Proposal 753 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Recovery Mission
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

11 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  3 -> -7

11 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  104 -> 107          
  gnome                                                           
  De'ghew                                      70 -> 73           
  Bascule                                     153 -> 156          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            48 -> 51           
  Calvin N Hobbes                              -7 -> -4           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            71 -> 74           
  SnafuMoose                                   66 -> 69           
  Techno                                       76 -> 79           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         21 -> 24           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            87 -> 90           

7 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  Niccolo Flychuck                                                
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:56:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 754 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 754
  Proposal 754 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  The Big Bad Orks
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

7 YES votes   9 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -4 -> -14

7 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  107 -> 110          
  De'ghew                                      73 -> 76           
  Bascule                                     156 -> 159          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            51 -> 54           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            74 -> 77           
  SnafuMoose                                   69 -> 72           
  Wayne                                       117 -> 120          

9 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  gnome                                                           
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  Techno                                                          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:57:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 755 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 755
  Proposal 755 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  The Nice Elves.
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

8 YES votes   9 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -14 -> -24

8 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  110 -> 113          
  De'ghew                                      76 -> 79           
  Bascule                                     159 -> 162          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            54 -> 57           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            77 -> 80           
  /dev/joe               Foozball              62 -> 65           
  Techno                                       79 -> 82           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         24 -> 27           

9 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  gnome                                                           
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:57:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 756 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 756
  Proposal 756 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Where are the Elves?!
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

6 YES votes   9 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -24 -> -34

6 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  113 -> 116          
  De'ghew                                      79 -> 82           
  Bascule                                     162 -> 165          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            80 -> 83           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         27 -> 30           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)            98 -> 101          

9 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  gnome                                                           
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                                                           

2 PRESENT votes:
  Malenkai                                   
  ThinMan                                    

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:58:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 757 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 757
  Proposal 757 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Mercenaries
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

7 YES votes   10 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -34 -> -44

7 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  116 -> 119          
  De'ghew                                      82 -> 85           
  Bascule                                     165 -> 168          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            83 -> 86           
  Techno                                       82 -> 85           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         30 -> 33           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            90 -> 93           

10 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  gnome                                                           
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:58:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 758 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 758
  Proposal 758 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Black Rider
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

6 YES votes   10 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -44 -> -54

6 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  119 -> 122          
  De'ghew                                      85 -> 88           
  Bascule                                     168 -> 171          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            57 -> 60           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            86 -> 89           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         33 -> 36           

10 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  gnome                                                           
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Malenkai                                    
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 0:59:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 759 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 759
  Proposal 759 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  Raid Into The Badlands.
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

6 YES votes   10 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  -54 -> -64

6 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  122 -> 125          
  De'ghew                                      88 -> 91           
  Bascule                                     171 -> 174          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            89 -> 92           
  Techno                                       85 -> 88           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         36 -> 39           

10 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  gnome                                                           
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Malenkai                                    
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 1:00:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 760 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 760
  Proposal 760 - Wed May 15 00:34:36 EDT 1996
  The Gnomes Like Growing Potatos.
  Calvin N Hobbes  (Thierry Joffrain)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

10 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Calvin N Hobbes loses 10 points.  0 -> -10

10 YES votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                  125 -> 128          
  gnome                                                           
  De'ghew                                      91 -> 94           
  Bascule                                     174 -> 177          
  snowgod                (None Yet)            60 -> 63           
  Calvin N Hobbes                             -10 -> -7           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            92 -> 95           
  SnafuMoose                                   72 -> 75           
  Merlin the Happy Pig                         39 -> 42           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            93 -> 96           

6 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                                      
  ThinMan                                                         
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  Techno                                                          
  Wayne                                                           
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Malenkai                                    
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 1:01:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 761 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 761
  Proposal 761 - Wed May 15 00:35:23 EDT 1996
  Parades
  Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

15 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Brinjal gains 10 points.  79 -> 89

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  gnome                                                           
  De'ghew                                                         
  Bascule                                                         
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  Techno                                                          
  Merlin the Happy Pig                                            
  (None Yet) Unity vote                                            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               
  Mohammed               (None Yet)                               

4 NO votes:  5 points each
  Dr McSpong                                   76 -> 81           
  ThinMan                                     100 -> 105          
  Niccolo Flychuck                             58 -> 63           
  Wayne                                       120 -> 125          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  The Governor                                

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 761 - Wed May 15 00:35:23 EDT 1996
Parades
Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)

Whenever a proposal whose number ends with the digits "76" is adopted,
an Ackanomic Parade shall be held, with the player who made the
proposal as the Guest of Honour.

The Guest of Honour has seven days from the adoption of the proposal
to publish an interesting description of the parade. Failure to comply 
with this requirement, if and when proved, will result in ten points 
being deducted from the score of the Guest of Honour.

All players will take part in the Parade, and will receive one point for 
so doing.

The player in possession of the Great Trombone of Ackanomia, if such an
entity exists, will lead the Parade and receive not one but ten points.

Any player on Vacation will be represented by an identical replica of
themselves, provided for the occasion by the Ackanomic Institute of 
Genetic Replication, if such exists. Otherwise they will be 
represented by a cardboard cutout on wheels, which will lower the
whole tone of the occasion, so any points they would have received
as a result of the Parade will be withheld.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 1:02:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 762 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 762
  Proposal 762 - Wed May 15 00:36:59 EDT 1996
  The Great Trombone of Ackanomia
  Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

11 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Brinjal gains 10 points.  89 -> 99

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                                        
  Robin Hood                                                      
  gnome                                                           
  De'ghew                                                         
  Bascule                                                         
  snowgod                (None Yet)                               
  Calvin N Hobbes                                                 
  this is not a name     (None Yet)                               
  /dev/joe               Foozball                                 
  SnafuMoose                                                      
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)                               

5 NO votes:  5 points each
  Dr McSpong                                   81 -> 86           
  ThinMan                                     105 -> 110          
  Techno                                       88 -> 93           
  Wayne                                       125 -> 130          
  Mohammed               (None Yet)           101 -> 106          

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Tera Ypsilon                                
  Brinjal                                     
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  The Governor                                
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Meme Complex                                

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 762 - Wed May 15 00:36:59 EDT 1996
The Great Trombone of Ackanomia
Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)

The Great Trombone of Ackanomia is hereby created. It is unique, and 
will always either be in the possession of one player, or be Somewhere 
Else. Upon the adoption of this rule, the Great Trombone is Somewhere 
Else.

Whenever the Great Trombone is Somewhere Else, the first player to make 
a valid public claim will take possession of it. A claim is only valid 
if the player concerned has a score of exactly 76 points. 

Whenever the score of the player who possesses the Great Trombone 
exceeds 152 points, they lose possession of the Great Trombone, and it 
returns to Somewhere Else.

If the player who possesses the Great Trombone leaves the game, they 
automatically relinquish possession of it, and the Great Trombone is 
once again said to be Somewhere Else.

The Great Trombone is protected, and cannot be transferred or destroyed 
except as described by the rules.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 00:35:13 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 789

At 12:59 AM 5/22/96, Stephen F Roberts wrote:
>On Sat, 18 May 96 11:25:36 EDT, you wrote:
>
>>Proposal 789 - Sat May 18 11:25:36 EDT 1996
>>Another fool Proposal
>>snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
>>
>>This rule acknowledges that you can fool all of the players some of the
>>time, and some of the players all of the time, but you can't fool all of
>>the players all of the time.
>>
>...But what if I did fool all the players all the time? This
>rule specifically forbids it, but what if I've been doing it
>all along? Do I have to stop fooling people?
>
>
>SnafuMoose
>Amazing AckaCitizen

If this became a ruler, and someone could prove that you did indeed fool
all of the players all of the time, I suppose you would be up against a
CFCJ.  However, If any player could prove that you were fooling all of the
players all of the time, you would no longer be fooling all of the players,
or at least all of them all the time.  I don't think we have a problem here
(long as no-one can prove anything, at least :)

Of course, it would be weighing on your consience....

snowgod

"He belongs to that race of men who are always their adversary's best
champions."

- - Umberto Eco
  The Name of the Rose

Visit http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod for the ultimate source
of Information on Thinumabobs and Whatchamacallits.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 12:04:54 MET DST
From: Julian Richardson <[email-masked]>
Subject: ackanomic: misc: gumball

I am now chewing the gumball.

If anyone wants to chew the gumball today, make me an offer I can't
refuse.

Dr McSpong

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 14:49:18 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Disc: Reply-To address 

At 01:59 PM 21/05/96 -0500, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>> It might be easier on people (if it's possible) if mail sent out by the 
>> listserv had a "Reply-To" address of the list, since generally people 
>> should just repond to the list and otherwise they have to edit their 
>> To/CC lines every time they repond to a message.
>
>1. Different mailers handle such headers differently; I probably can't
>make that work for everyone without obliterating the sender's address.
>A pre-majordomo version of the list did this, and put the sender's name
>and address at the top of the message body, but this was a hack.

'tis so. Pine doesn't even require a To: header, since sendmail doesn't
require it. It is sufficient to have a kosher internet address at either
To:, Cc:, or Bcc:.
I don't know about other mailers. With Eudora, I just Reply to all (shift
reply, unless you configure to always reply to all), and delete the original
sender's name, most of the time. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:59:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: CFCJ 2

Call For Criminal Judgement 2
  Subject:  Subject Lines
Initiator:  Malenkai
    Judge:  Meme Complex (selected at 1050h on 22 May 1996)

Statement:
> this is not a name violated Rule 101.

Malenkai's reasoning:
> In a post dated 21May96 to the public forum, claiming the Governor's
> score for himself, this is not a name used the subject line "Re: Score".
> 
> This is clearly in violation of the rule entitled "Limited Line
> Subject Lengths", which says:
> 
> "The SL for any message that does not fit into one of the above
> categories, unless it is defined by some other rule, shall be of the
> form: "Ackanomic: Misc (Explanation)"
> 
> I claim this is not a name's subject line does not follow this form.
> Furthermore, it does not follow any of the "above categories" of the
> rule, nor does it follow anything "defined by some other rule". 
> 
> Therefore it is in violation of "Limited Line Subject Lengths", thus is
> in violation of R101.
> 
> While I do not agree, in general, that such an act should be treated
> with criminal proceedings, this specific case requires stiff penalties,
> as this is not a name is using this mechanism to claim the deceased
> Governor's score for himself.
> 
> Note that this judgement is on the legality of this is not a name's
> subject line, not on the legality of claiming the Governor's points.
> That can be dealt with elsewhere.

Penalty requested:
> A DEDUCTION of 61 points from this is not a name's score, the amount he
> is attempting to claim from the deceased Governor.
> 
> A FINE of 50 units of currency (the equivalent of the court fee)

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:09:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Criminal Judgement 1

Criminal Judgement 1
  Subject:  Constitutional Convention Proposal Distribution
Initiator:  The Governor
Defendant:  Wayne
    Judge:  SnafuMoose (selected at 1338 CDT on 20 May 1996)
Judgement:  True

Statement:
> Wayne has violated Rule 101.

The Governor's comments:
>
> On April 28, this message was published by "this is not a name":
>
>>>(a) A proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention is not a "proposal" as
>>>the word is used in any other rule.
>>>(b) (1) Any player may make a proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention.
>>>    (2) A proposal to hold a Constitutional Convention shall be made and
>>>distributed in the manner that the rules specify that proposals are to be
>>>made and distributed.
>>
>>This proposal just passed. I hereby propose to hold a Constitutional 
>>Convention for the purposes of resolving the end of game situation. I 
>>think P666 is completely flawed, and for some reason the proposal I made 
>>almost a week ago hasn't yet been distributed by the Promoter.
>>
>>--
>>        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
>>"I mean, it's a great story. It's got some great things in it. I mean,
>> there's something like eight violent deaths." --Mel Gibson on Hamlet
>>http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key
>
>This message was posted publicly, which meant that it went to Wayne.
>Therefore, the proposal to hold a con-con was legally submitted to Wayne.
>As t.i.n.a.n points out, section (b)(2) requires that the proposal to hold a
>con-con be distributed in the manner that proposals are distributed.  I
>submit that as of the writing of this message, he has not done so.
>
>I interpret "the manner in which proposals are to be made and distributed"
>to mean that Wayne must assign the con-con proposal a number and submit it
>to a vote.  In the nearly three weeks since April 28, he has not done so.
>
>I do not interpret the CFCJ rule to allow a verdict of FALSE if he
>distributes the con-con proposal after the publishing of this CFCJ.
>
>Disclaimer:
>
>I don't have a vendetta against Wayne.  I am (a) testing the soundness of
>the CFCJ rule, and (b) moving along something that should have been pretty
>much done by now.  I will not pull for or against the con-con proposal
>itself until after it has been legally distributed.

Penalty requested:
>I don't ask for much.  I ask that Wayne be required to repay my court costs
>(in other words, give me my A$50 back).  I also suggest that he suffer an
>additional (mild) penalty, say ten points.  I do not ask to personally
>profit from this CFCJ.

SnafuMoose's comments:
> 1) I agree with the arguments posted with this CFJ. Wayne
> should have posted the proposal for a con-con based on the
> wording of the con-con rule and other proposal based rules.
> 
> 2) Penalties:
> 2a) Since I can find no specific punishment to be given to the
> promoter should he fail to do his job, and since I can recall
> no previous similar charge against Wayne, and since the flux of
> mail has been harsh the past several weeks, the Judge does seek
> to dispense mercy on Wayne (this time). The punishment shall be
> as follows:
> 2b) Wayne must publically apologize for failing in his job.
> 2c) Wayne will be penalized 1 point.
> 2d) Wayne must pay the Governor's court costs of A$5.
> 
> 3) The Judge also orders Wayne to properly dispense the con-con
> proposal.
> 
> 4) The Judge also feels that a proposal is in order that would
> require future similar proposals to be sent via private email
> in order for them to count.

- --Mohammed, Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:11:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Judgement 145

Third time's a charm.

Judgement 145
  Subject:  Revising Proposal 569
Initiator:  SnafuMoose
1st Judge:  Hapexamendios (selected at 1559h CST on 2 Apr 1996)
Judgement:  (failed to respond)
2nd Judge:  Merlin the Happy Pig (selected at 1050h CDT on 4 May 1996)
Judgement:  (failed to respond)
3rd Judge:  Wayne (selected at 1326h CDT on 20 May 1996)
Judgement:  False

Complaint:
>...After reading the discussion from ptang and some thought, I
>wish to invoke 421 to change prop 569.
>
>...The following changes should be made:
>
>"The penalty for filing an apeal is changed from 5 to 3 points
>[[[odd is good!]]]
>
>"Change the line "With the verdict of a majority of the
>Justices being the verdict of the Court." to "The number of
>judges required to agree upon a vote is (majority +1) or
>unanimity (whichever is fewer. Their decision shall be the
>decision of the Court."
>
>"The penalty for frivolous apeals is changed from 20 to 9
>points."

SnafuMoose's comment:
>...The original rule was a touch harsh (20 points was quite a
>sum!) The proposed change should weaken it to be more in line
>with other rules.

Wayne's comments:
> This proposal no longer exists.   Maybe I lost track of it somewhere.
> Anyhow, I am not sure whether or not this can probably be modified now
> that R421 no longer exists.
> 
> It is probably in the best interests of everyone if I rule Against this
> CFJ.  I doubt that anyone will object to this.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:41:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 791

> Proposal 791 - Sun May 19 02:13:10 EDT 1996
> Numbering and Renumbering proposals
> /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
	This proposes to replace a seven-line rule (which is in my 
opinion perfectly okay in the first place) with 22 lines of text.
	Then, it creates a rule with 17 lines of text.
	Then, it adds 12 lines to another rule.
	It also adds a few necessary words to the ARN rule, which I will 
very soon try to repeal.

	My objections are (1) it's too wordy;  (2) we can refer to rules 
by their titles, since those are unique;  (3) as the new rule page comes 
up, the "problem" this allegedly fixes will cease to exist.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 11:47:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jason Orendorff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic:  Official

Malenkai wrote:
> T Joffrain wrote:
> > To interpret "a decision of the president" as was done by quite a few
> > players is amazing, given the context. Thanks, that's the perfect example of
> > pettiness I could have ever come up with. It is the perfect Star-Trekish
> > work: quick, find a loophole Data!
> > No. Just because some people didn't want Robert Sevin to win didn't mean
> > that hey, let's use the Holy Texts to find which sentence we can take out of
> > context, interpret for our own agenda and then blame it on who ever made
> > that rule.
> 
> By R400 I invoke the Politeness Moon on the above statement. Its rude,
> insensitive, and worst of all, FALSE.

	Pending judgement on Malenkai's CFJ to determine the identity of 
the current Acting Speaker, I'm carrying out the job inasmuch as I can.
	I will take votes on this until about noon tomorrow, at which 
time the Politeness Moon sets.
	I missed handing out the Magic Potato this week.  Oh well; we've 
done without it for three or four weeks already....

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:21:53 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 762 Passes

>   Proposal 761 - Wed May 15 00:35:23 EDT 1996
>   Parades
>   Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)
> Proposal PASSES

>   Proposal 762 - Wed May 15 00:36:59 EDT 1996
>   The Great Trombone of Ackanomia
>   Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)
> Proposal PASSES

My first two proposals to get as far as the voting stage, I forget
to even vote for them (duh!!), and they pass anyway! Brilliant!
Thanks for all the votes, you`ve all made the world a better, brighter
place for me. I feel in the mood for a parade right now. Just hand me
that Trombone...

Brinjal.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #7
*****************************