Subject: acka-voting Digest V4 #201
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-voting digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 00:00:08 -0400 (EDT)

acka-voting Digest	Saturday, September 25 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 201

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4373
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:55:00 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4373
Kernal Mk II
Dragon Mage
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:54:58 1999
Sphere: Hypnotist of Ladies

{{[
   There is some disagreement about whether Malenkai's Kernel
   actually did what some of us think it did.   In the thread
   where it did, this proposal really doesn't exist because it
   is being submitted to the old bot, and the speaker in the
   kernel thread hasn't named a bot that can accept proposals.
   The only changes from Malenkai's are that this one actually
   specifies that it is modifying or changing a rule and some
   formatting.  It also specifies rufus to be the initial
   Speaker instead of EA!P!.
]}}

[
 If you think about it, we need very few of the rules that we
 have to do what we do.  It also seems like alot of uninteresting
 rules and framework and procedure and the like can be eliminated,
 allowing us and prospective players to concentrate on the essence
 of what makes gaming gaming, while retaining the nomic-like
 framework of self-modification.  Moreover, its my belief that
 prospective players will be attracted if the ruleset is put on a
 diet and all the boring stuff is put in a tiny kernel.
 
 So ... lets clean up a bit (alot of which is my fault anyway) and
 then add back in what we really like and want some other day.  Not
 that I expect this to pass in a billion years ... :-)  but I've
 always wanted to do this.  Of course, the fun part is to think
 about it.  And I won't even be here to vote on it; I wonder if a
 proposal has ever gotten zero votes?
]

Replace the current text of Rule 1 with the following KERNEL
delimited text
KERNEL 
This rule has precedence over all other rules.  Text delimited by
square brackets is a note.  Notes have no semantic meaning.
 
The game state of Ackanomic is deemed to consist of this rule and
those persons who were Players the instant before the results of
the proposal which amended this rule to its current form were
reported, and nothing else, except the Player with the email address
[email-masked]' [rufus] is deemed to be the Speaker.  These
persons are known as Registered Players.
 
The instant after this rule becomes the only rule in the game state
of Ackanomic, it is amended a) such that its entire text is replaced
by the text below delimited by double dollar signs (excluding the
delimiters); b) such that its title is "The Game of Ackanomic"; and
c) such that its number is 1.
 
[
$$
 
   I.  Follow the Rules
       All Registered Players (Players) must always abide by all the
       Rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in
       effect, and interpreted in accordance with customary English
       Language usage and semantics.

  II.  The Game State
       The Game State may only be changed, and shall only change, as
       described in the Rules.  The terms "Rules" and "Game State"
       shall be interpreted to mean the Rules of Ackanomic and Game
       State of Ackanomic, respectively.

 III.  The Game State is Platonic 
       The Speaker shall attempt to keep an accurate track of the
       facts of the Game State (View) and make eir View of it
       available to all Players.

  IV.  Joining and Leaving
       A Player may become a non-Player by sending a Public Message
       to that effect.  A non-Player may become a Player by e-mailing
       eir intent to the Speaker or by sending a Public Message to
       that effect.
 
   V.  Speaker Succession
       Whenever any Player who is not the Speaker correctly points
       out in a Public Message that no Player is the Speaker, or that
       the Speaker has not sent a Public Message within the past 7
       days, or that the Speaker has broken (or attempted to break)
       the Rules, then the notifying Player becomes the Speaker.
       Alternatively, the Speaker loses eir Speakership by either
       abdicating or by appointing a successor in a Public Message.
 
  VI.  Proposals
       A Proposal is a list of proposed changes to the Game State.
       Any Player may make a Proposal by e-mailing its text to the
       Speaker (or to a bot designated by the Speaker).  Within 3
       days of receipt of a Proposal, the Speaker (or eir bot) shall
       assign an integer number to the Proposal and send its text
       in a Public Message, at which time the Proposal is said to be
       in the Proposal Queue (Queue).
 
 VII.  Voting on Proposals
       All Players may vote either Yes or No for any Proposal in the
       Queue by e-mailing eir vote to the Speaker (or to a bot
       designated by the Speaker).  If a Player votes more than once
       on a particular Proposal, all but their most recent vote on
       that Proposal are disregarded.
 
VIII.  Accepting Proposals
       Upon a Proposal being in the Queue for exactly 7 days, it is
       either Accepted or Rejected and it is removed from the Queue.
       At this time, a Proposal is Accepted if and only if a
       majority of the votes cast on it were Yes, and the Player
       who authored it did not vote No.  The Speaker (or eir bot)
       shall report in a Public Message the status of any Accepted
       Proposal within 3 days of it becoming Accepted; its changes
       to the Game State are applied in the order they are contained
       in the Proposal at the time of this report.
 
  IX.  Calls for Judgment
       Players may disagree with the Speaker's View of the Game State
       by detailing the nature of their disagreement in a Public
       Message.  The Speaker shall attempt to adjust eir View so that
       a consensus View is reached after hearing debate on the matter.
       If a Player still disagrees with the Speaker's View, e may Call
       for Judgment on the matter by detailing the essence of eir
       disagreement to all Players in another Public Message.  Players
       may publicly cast one vote on the matter (along with any
       arguments they deem relevant), and the Speaker shall adjust eir
       View to the will of the expressed majority 3 days after the
       most recent vote has been cast, or 7 days after the Call was
       made, whichever comes first, if there is a majority opinion
       on the matter.
 
   X.  Public Messages
       The Speaker may change the designation of the Official
       Mailing List in a Public Message.  In the absence of such
       a designation, [email-masked] shall be the Official
       Mailing List.  A Public Message is an e-mail sent to either
       all Players or to the Official Mailing List.
  
  XI.  Miscellany
       The Speaker may assign numbers and titles to Rules that do
       not have them.  E may also make spelling, grammar, formatting,
       and section numbering corrections, provided such corrections
       do not change the meaning of the Rules.  If E makes such
       changes, e shall detail them in a Public Message.
 $$
 ]
KERNEL 

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4374
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4374
Acting up
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:57:23 1999
Sphere: All Canadians're Kind & Amiable

Create a new rule titled "Delegation" with the text:

"
The Speaker may delegate any of their duties to any willing player. That
player is then responsible for carrying out that duty. Any penalties
that result from failure to perform that duty then apply to the player
rather the Speaker.

A player who has been delegated a duty may relinquish it as a public
action, likewise the Speaker may re-assign that duty to another willing
player.

The Speaker is required to make available a list detailing which players
have been delegated duties.
"

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4375
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4375
Oh My -Deity-
Doctor Slakko
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:57:42 1999
Sphere: Hypnotist of Ladies

Create a new Rule, numbered 2 if this avoids a conflict and 271276
otherwise, entitled "What Is a Ruleset?", with the following
CLEANUP-delimited text:

CLEANUP
Each Rule has a Rule number associated with it, which is a real number.
In the event that two rules other than this one are in conflict, the rule
with the lower number takes precedence unless either rule explicitly
cedes precedence. In the event that this rule conflicts with any other
rule, this rule takes precedence.

If at any stage a Rule does not have a rule number associated with it, the
Speaker shall allocate it a Rule Number as soon as possible.

For the purposes of all rules including this one, any task required to be
performed by a certain player "as soon as possible" must be performed
within 3 days of any email received by that player pointing out the need
to perform the task.
CLEANUP

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4376
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:57:58 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4376
CYaOC
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:57:57 1999
Sphere: Hypnotist of Ladies

A. Repeal Rule 7-1-8 (Definition of Otzma Cards) and its decedents.

B. Remove item a [ancient scroll] from section 9 of Rule 4-11 (Boons of
the Ancients) and reletter the list from whence it came.

C. Remove the phrase "otzma and " from Rule 7-1-15 (Chemicals).

D. Remove the phrase "random otzma card. If this would give the player
more otzma cards than he can legally own, he instead receives a " from
section IV of Rule 7-2-7-1 (ASS Song: The Gnome).

E. Amend Rule 7-4-1-1 (Convertible Economics) by deleting items i and ii
from the first list. [Otzma creations]

F. Delete "7) A player in Gaol may play a Skeleton Key Otzma Card." from
Rule 9-1 (Gaol) and renumber the list it came from.

F. Remove the Arcane Lore section from Rule 10-1-2-1 (The Ackanomicon).

G. Amend the Long lost treasure section of Rule 10-1-2-1 (The
Ackanomicon) to read in full:
"
Long lost treasure (2 pages): These pages describe the locations of long
lost treasure troves. The reader gains A$250.
"

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4377
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:58:09 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4377
Yes! No? Maybe.
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:58:08 1999
Sphere: Wombles of Wibbledon

i. Create a new rule numbered 2-1-2 with the text:
"
Any player may spend Mannna on a proposal, provided they have sufficient
to do so. Mannna spent in this manner is destroyed.

When 1000 Mannna has been spent on a proposal, the magnitude of each
non-zero vote is shifted to 100 and players may only place votes of
+100, -100 and 0 on that proposal.

This rule takes precedence over its parent.
"

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4378
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:58:19 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4378
Game Delinquency
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:58:18 1999
Sphere: Hypnotist of Ladies

[
A modification of the un-refereeded games such that a player's turn ends
when someone points out they've taken too long.

Piddily little payments/entities/junk is/are removed.
]

-----
I. Amend Rule 12-1 (Games & Contests) by:

I.A.i deleting the phrase "They may receive no rewards other than A$,
and such rewards may not exceed A$10 per Game instance." from section
III.e.

I.A.ii. delete sub-section h from section III.

I.B. altering section IV by:

I.B.i. deleting the phrase ", except as defined in this Rule, and with
the following specific exceptions" from sub-section a.

I.B.ii. deleting sub-sections b, c, d and e from section IV and
relettering the remaining subsections.

I.C. deleting section V [Adding Games].

I.D. deleting section VII [Exhibitions].

I.E. deleting section XIII [Additional Game Rewards].

I.F. renumbering its sections as appropriate.

-----
II. remove the phrase "No Trophy is awarded to the winner of this
contest." from Rule 12-3-1 (Limerick Contest).

-----
III. Amend Rule 12-3-2 (Ghost) by:

III.A. replacing the phrase in the first paragraph of section 4 which
reads:
"
Each player's turn shall last the lesser of three days or until that
player plays.
"
with:
"
Each player's turn shall last until either the player is delinquent or
she makes a play. A player is delinquent when it has been thier turn for
three days and some other player points this fact out.
"

III.B remove the following text from section 5:
"
The winner receives a standard Trophy.

When a winner is found, the referee shall receive 8 A$. If this game
took place as a Duel, the winner shall receive no additional
compensation. If it was not a Duel and fewer than four players began the
game, the winner receives four points. If from four to eight players
began the game, the winner receives points equal to the number of
players that began the game. If more than eight players began the game,
the winner receives 8 points.
"

-----
IV. Amend Rule 12-3-3 (Fictionary) by:

IV.A. replacing the following paragraph from section IV:
"
A round is composed of the following steps, in order. All steps shall be
completed within 3 days of the completion of the previous step (or the
start of the round in the case of the first step). If a player(s) fails
to perform the designated action by the end of this time limit, the
listed default action is deemed to have been performed, and they lose 1
Gamepoint. 
"
with:
"
A round is composed of the following steps, in order. A step ends when
all players responsible for performing an action during it have done so.
When it is pointed out that a player has not performed their action for
a step which has been in progress for more than 3 days, that player
performs the default action for that step, and they lose one game point.
"

IV.B. replacing the final paragraph of step 1 with:
"
The Default action for this step causes the end of the current round.
"

IV.C. amend step 5b to read:
"
5b) The game shall end when all players have been Brainiac the same
number of times, and one or more players has 25 or more
Gamepoints. The single player with the most Gamepoints wins.
"

IV.D. delete the phrase "and no payoff" from step 5d.

-----
V.A. Delete the second paragraph of Section 8 of Rule 12-3-4 (Tromino
Go).

V.B. Delete the final sentence of Rule 12-3-4 (Tromino Go) which reads: 
"If it does end the game, the referee should post the final score, who
won, and the A$ transfers resulting from it."

-----
VI. Delete the final sentence of Rule 12-3-5 (Double Crash) which reads:
"
If the game was not being played as a Duel, the winner receives A$25
from the Treasury. No Trophy is awarded to the winner of the game.
"
-----

VII. Delete the two final sentences of Rule 12-3-6 (Triple Double Crash)
which reads:
"
If the game was not being played as a Duel, the winner receives A$25
from the Treasury. No Trophy is awarded to the winner of the game. 
"

-----
VIII. Remove the phrase "A standard Trophy is awarded to the winner."
from section 8 of Rule 12-3-9 (Viruses).

-----
IX. Delete the final paragraph of Rule 12-3-10 (Mediocrity) which reads:
"
Trophy: the winner of the game shall receive a standard Trophy, and a
rather Mediocre example of one at that. The winner is encouraged to
complain (albeit in a rather nonplussed manner) about the Mediocre
nature of the Trophy.
"

-----
X. Delete the final section of Rule 12-3-12 (Word un-association).

-----
XI. Delete the phrase "Each Winner receives a Standard Trophy." from the
initial paragraph of section 3 in Rule 12-3-13 (Abstract Crescent).

-----
XII. Delete the phrase "The winner shall receive a standard Trophy. The
referee shall receive A$8 from the Treasury upon conclusion of the
game." from Rule 12-3-14 (Bacon).

-----
XIII. In Rule 12-3-15 (Acka Role Playing), delete section 9 and replace
it with section 10.

-----
XIV. In Rule 12-3-16 (Frog, Frog, Frog, Mouse), delete section 9 and
replace it with section 10.

-----
XV. Repeal Rule 12-4 (Decks of Playing Cards) and its decedents.

-----
XVI.A. {{All trophies are destroyed}}.

XVI.B. Repeal Rule 7-1-14 (Trophies).
-----

XVII. Amend Rule 12-3-11 (Ye Olde Rusty Lantern) by:

XVII.A. deleting the sentence which reads:
"
Upon being awarded an Ale, a player also receives a FairPlay Award.
"
[in the 'plays' section]

XVII.B. deleting the last paragaph of the "bards" section.

XVII.C. deleting the final paragraph.

-----
XVIII. Amend Rule 12-7 (Grab-a-Donkey) by deleting the sentence which
reads:
"
The Wrangler is permitted to distribute FairPlay awards during a game of
Grab-a-Donkey, as described in Rule 12-1 section XIII 
"
[near the top]

-----

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4379
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:58:29 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4379
Piddly little fees
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:58:28 1999
Sphere: Wombles of Wibbledon

-----

*. Delete the phrase ", at which time the player in question shall pay
the Standard Harfer Fee" from Rule 1-6-1 (Player Names) 

----
I. Delete the phrase "and paying the Standard Harfer Fee" from Rule 6
(Offices, Commonalities).

-----
II. Amend Rule 6-20-1 (SHF) to read in full:
"
The Standard Harfer Fee (SHF) is A$25.

Whenever the rules direct that the SHF be paid, it is paid to the
Treasury. 
"

-----
III. Delete the phrase "then the entity requesting the Coat of Arms
shall pay the Standard Harfer Fee, and the " from Rule 7-1-6 (Heraldry).

-----
IV. Repeal Rule 10-1-1 (Evil Laboratory).
-----

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4380
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:58:41 -0400 (EDT)

This proposal is automatically retracted by Rule 2 because its submitter
has 5 proposals in the queue and his proposal characteristic is 5.
Its submitter gets a day in Gaol as well.

Proposal 4380
 !ton on pye. here hips!
K 2
Due: Sat Oct  2 18:58:38 1999
Sphere: Wombles of Wibbledon

Amend Rule 2 (Proposals) by replacing the text which reads:
"
However, if the number of proposals authored by that player currently in
their authorised voting period is equal to or exceeds  their Proposal
characteristic, any attempt to submit a proposal will lead to that
proposal being automatically retracted, and the player being put in Gaol
with a sentence of 1 day.
"
with:
"
If the number of proposals authored by that player currently in their
authorised voting period is equal to or exceeds their Proposal
characteristic, they are fined 200 Mannna if they have it or the
proposal is invalid if they don't.
"

------------------------------

End of acka-voting Digest V4 #201
*********************************