Subject: acka-voting Digest V4 #188
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-voting digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 00:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

acka-voting Digest	Tuesday, September 07 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 188

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4359
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4359
Home on the Range
Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
Due: Tue Sep 14 00:53:43 1999
Sphere: Anti-Canada Kamikaze Alliance

[Well, we don't have any real use for them any more.  I think Acka is
tending away from the 'real world' moo-ish sort of feel, with the repeal,
at various times, of castes, basic player characteristics, gadgets, and
most recently the map of the city.  And I like it.  

--->  So, what this is is a repeal of player homes.  <---

They do very little except bother the map-harfer, i'll wager.  If this
fails, I'll be bitter, because it took me forever to go through and find
all the references, and the only person it really impacts is the
rule-harfer, that is, me.  If it passes, I think I'll try to repeal player
locations altogether.]

**Every player who is in a player's home has his or her location changed to
the Wilds.

**In rule 2-2-6 (Let there be Harf!), remove the text "and must immediately
go to his or her home if he or she may legally do so."

**In rule 4-1 (Joining the game), remove item II.1 and renumber the
remaining items.

**In rule 7-1-3 (Lumps of Coal), remove the final two sentences of the
first paragraph (they discuss home descriptions)

**In rule 7-2-7-1 (ASS song: The Gnome), replace 'his home' with 'The Town'

**In rule 7-2-10 (MTG*):
*Replace 'unique entity' with 'unique ownable entity'
*Remove the first paragraph of item II
*Replace 'in whose home the Machine resides' with 'who owns the Machine'
*Replace 'the Machine shares his abode' with 'e owns the Machine'
*Replace 'change in location' with 'change in ownership'
*Replace 'location' with 'owner' (3 times)
*Replace "another active player's Home" with "the possession of another
active player" (4 times)
*Replace 'to his home' with 'to his possession'
*Replace 'the home' with 'the possession'

**In rule 8-2 (End of Cycle), remove the second sentence of item j ("All
players who are in the Ackanomic Afterlife are relocated to their homes.")

**In rule 10-1 (Locations):
*In item 5, replace 'their Home, if it exists' with 'the Wilds of Ackanomia'
*Remove item 6 and renumber the remaining items.
*In item 8 (9 originally), replace 'their Home' with 'the Wilds of
Ackanomia' both times.

**In rule 10-1-2 (Library), replace 
'returned to their homes'
with
'ejected to the Wilds of Ackanomia'

**In rule 10-3 (Buildings), remove the entirety of item ii and remove the
lettering of items i and I.

**In rule 13-1 (Evil Overlords..., retired), replace the text 
"his own home, if he has one, or to the Wilds of Ackanomia if he doesn't."
with 
"the Wilds of Ackanomia"

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4351 accepted
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4351

Subcommittee vote for: 122   against:0
Subcommittee Acceptance Index: 122.0
Passed subcommittee
Total vote for: 344   Total vote against:-190
Acceptance Index: 59.0: proposal accepted

Votes to accept:
  /dev/joe               80    +10  ==> 3594
  Blest Lax Monk Pal     60    +20  ==> 959
  Reductio               40    +20  ==> 420
  Emperor Ai! Pedrito!   61    +19  ==> 4198
  Studge                 61    +19  ==> 4798
  IdiotBoy               42    +20  ==> 648

Votes to reject:
  Calvin N Hobbes       -60    +20  ==> 1120
  rufus                 -10    +20  ==> 1480
  Red Mao Gang          -20    +20  ==> 4569
  Rachel L Walmsley    -100         ==> 1108

Abstainers:
  r-attila the farce   
  404 Not Found        
  Vynd                 
  Kane                 
  Alfvaen              
  Pure Haste           
  Malenkai             
  and                  
  ThinMan              
  Cthulhu              
  danke                
  Burn the Witch       
  Slakko               
  two-star             
  K 2                  

 Subject: Acka: Proposal 4351
 
 Proposal 4351
 It's just a worthless piece of paper
 Emperor Ai! Pedrito!
 Due: Tue Sep  7 03:35:59 1999
 Sphere: Anti-Canada Kamikaze Alliance
 Status: accepted

 [I think that professors should have a little more say as to who joins
 their ranks.] 
 
 in rule 4-5 (A degree proves you're educated), insert between 
 ---
 "Students who THINK? What will they come up with next..."  and 
 ---
 
 and
 
 ---
 for the Thesis to be accepted, more than 1/2 of the valid responses should be 
 ---
 
 the following text:
 
 "For each degree a player has in the major of the thesis, the University
 shall cast an additional vote in the hearing equivalent to that player's
 vote."

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4352 rejected
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:19:21 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4352

Rejected in subcommittee: subcommittee no longer a sphere.
Total vote for: 84   Total vote against:-412
Acceptance Index: -534.0: proposal rejected

** This proposal was boring! ** 
5 sub-60 votes out of 8 non-60 votes total.

Votes to accept:
  /dev/joe                1    +20  ==> 3614
  Emperor Ai! Pedrito!   23    +20  ==> 4218
  Studge                 60    +20  ==> 4818

Zero Votes:
  Reductio                0    +20  ==> 440
  IdiotBoy                0    +20  ==> 668

Votes to reject:
  Calvin N Hobbes       -60    +20  ==> 1140
  Blest Lax Monk Pal   -140    -40  ==> 919
  Red Mao Gang          -80    +10  ==> 4579
  rufus                 -32    +20  ==> 1500
  Rachel L Walmsley    -100         ==> 1108

Abstainers:
  r-attila the farce   
  404 Not Found        
  Vynd                 
  Kane                 
  Alfvaen              
  Pure Haste           
  Malenkai             
  and                  
  ThinMan              
  Cthulhu              
  danke                
  Burn the Witch       
  Slakko               
  two-star             
  K 2                  

 Subject: Acka: Proposal 4352
 
 Proposal 4352
 Patience
 else...if
 Due: Tue Sep  7 11:12:56 1999
 Sphere: Tocpe
 Status: rejected
 
 	{{[With certain proposals, especially those effecting the
 Promoter/Tabulator, it's helpful and polite to give the affected officer a
 little time to implement the changes.  This creates a simple method to do
 that.]}}
 	Create rule 2-2-9, "Delayed Proposals" with the following WAIT
 delimited text.
 WAIT
 	If, earlier than any rule changes, a proposal contains a sentence
 of the form "This proposal delays for <player list>." or "The proposals
 delays up to <time> for <player list>.", where <time> is replaced by a unit
 of time and <player list> is replaced by the name of one or more Active
 players or Offices, then the proposal is a Delayed proposal.
 	When a Delayed proposal is accepted, no effects are generated
 immediately.  All changes made by the proposal will occur as soon as either
 <time> has passed since the proposal's acceptance, or the holder of each
 office in <player list> and the player able to assume each of the names in
 <player list> has publicly stated that they are ready for the proposal to
 occur.
 WAIT

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4360
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 17:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4360
It could take as long as hearts!
K 2
Due: Tue Sep 14 17:56:45 1999
Sphere: All Canadians're Kind & Amiable

[At the current rate of progress FFFM will take 60 days for each of the
6 rounds to complete (okay we've almost completed 2 rounds in three
months so it might not be _that_ bad ;-)

This proposal aims to speed things up a little. 

Firstly, aside from the strain it would place on the grey matter there
isn't any reason why each of the rounds couldn't be played concurrently.
To allow for the fact that it will be more challenging the time for move
submission is stretched to one week (thus each round lasts 10 days).
This will mean that FFFM will be complete in no more than 100 days
rather than 60*n days (360 for the current game!). 

Secondly, to address the difficulty of getting to the target zoo (and
hence of a round ending before its 10th stage) players have the option
of making two "phantom moves" (which don't effect eir zoo) instead of
the usual zoo altering one. The phantom moves will make it faster for
players to uncover information about the machines at the expense of
going no where.

Thirdly after round 5 players may transform two groups of animals
instead of one

Fourth, players who default passed during the previous three rounds,
default pass three days into the round. ]

I. Amend Rule 12-3-16 (Frog, Frog, Frog, Mouse) to read in full (as
delimited by "FFFM ->A MMMF"):

FFFM ->A MMMF

1) General Equipment 

Optionally, a Public Dorum [IRC server]. 

Gamepoints as required. 

2) Number of Players 

At least 3 players are required. The maximum number of players is the
number of players in Ackanomic. 

3) Number of referees 

This game uses no referees. 

4) Starting the game 

The game begins when one of the players posts a list of players who
intend to play. Each player on the list is a Mad Scientist.

Each Mad Scientist chooses rules for two transformation machines, a
target zoo (a collection of at least one and no more than 9 animals),
and a zoo of 5 randomly chosen animals for each player, and publicly
announces the target zoo and each player's zoo; e keeps the rules for
the machines secret. However, if the zoo chosen for any player matched
the target zoo, then before the information is posted, that zoo is
replaced with a new zoo created in the same manner. This process is
repeated until no player's zoo matches the target zoo exactly. 

Three days after the start of the game each Mad Scientist who has not
announced the starting information is Delinquent.

5) Joining and Leaving a Game in Progress 

Players may not join games in progress except to fill in as replacements
for players who have left the game. If a player leaves, his seat remains
vacant until somebody fills it. Vacant seats automatically pass any time
they have a move left to make, but if a vacant seat is filled before the
round ends, its new occupant may override that pass with any legal play.
If a round ends with a Mad Scientist's seat vacant and eir results for
that round unposted, that Mad Scientist is delinquent. If the Mad
Scientist leaves the game, e is considered delinquent.

A Player may not substitute for a Mad Scientist unless she has told them
the transformation rules for thier machine. 

6) Rules 

I. Starting a Round 

The game consists of a series of no more than 10 rounds. The first round
starts when all Mad Scientists have announced their starting
information. Latter rounds commence at the end of the previous round.

II. During a Round

Each round, each player privately submits a move to each of the Mad
Scientists. Players do not submit moves to themselves. Invalid moves are
ignored, but the once a player has made a valid move in a turn she may
not change it, except for overriding a default pass. When a round has
been going for 7 days, all players who have not yet submitted a valid
move to a particular Mad Scientist make a default pass.

If a Mad Scientist has logged three default passes from a particular
player in the previous three rounds, that player automatically makes a
default pass to that Mad Scientist three days into the round (unless
they have already attempted a move in that round).

III. Ending a Round 

When a Mad Scientist has received a move from each player (including
moves made automatically), e shall post the moves each player made, the
results of those moves, and the current zoos for each player. Then, if
any player's zoo matched the target zoo or if it is the 10th round, the
Mad Scientist ceases to be a Mad Scientist (only the zoos that the
effected Mad Scientist tracks are compared).

If a Mad Scientist has not announced the moves made during the current
round after it has been in progress for 10 days, she is delinquent.

When all Mad Scientists have announced the moves made during the round,
the round ends.

IV. Delinquent Mad Scientist 

If a Mad Scientist is Delinquent and a player points this fact out
before the Mad Scientist rectifies the situation that caused them to be
come delinquent, then the Mad Scientist loses 5 points and loses that
title. (For instance, if a Mad Scientist posts the results for a round
more than 10 days after it started e would not be delinquent unless some
other player pointed it out.)

V. Scoring a Round 

When a player ceases to be a Mad Scientist, the following scoring takes
place based on the most resent information released by them: (the
player's zoo and the target zoo are those that were tracked by the
former Mad Scientist).

Each player's zoo is divided into two parts, a bag and an excess. For
each species, if the player has more animals than there are of that
species in the target zoo, then as many as are in the target zoo are
placed in the bag and any leftover animals are placed in the excess;
otherwise, all the player's animals of that species are placed in the
bag. 

Then, the player scores a number of gamepoints equal to (10*N/T) -
(2*K), rounded down to an integer, where N is the total number of
animals in the bag, T is the total number of animals in the target zoo,
and K is the total umber of animals in the excess. [In other words, he
scores a fraction out of 10 points for the animals he has that match the
target zoo, and loses 2 points for each extra animal.] However, if this
number is negative, the player instead scores zero gamepoints that
round. In addition to this, each player whose zoo matched the target zoo
exactly receives 5 gamepoints. 

The former Mad Scientist does not score this way; instead, she receives
a number of gamepoints equal to the difference between the smallest and
largest scores the other players received for the round. 

7) Other information needed to play 

The animals used in the game are the following: cat, dog, frog, mouse.
The first letters of these animals' names may be used as shorthand
in describing moves, results of moves, and zoos. 

I. Transformation Rules 

The rule for each transformation machine consists of one or more
transformations. Each transformation consists of a pattern to match
and the replacement for that pattern. The patterns may only depend on
the number, species, and arrangement of animals being fed into
the machine for a single move. The replacement may be absolute, or
depend partly or completely on the animals matched by the pattern.
It is permissible for a transformation to change the number of animals,
and it is recommended for some of them to do so, so that a target
zoo with a number of animals other than 5 can be reached. All
transformations must be deterministic, i.e., if the machine turns dfmc
into
dfdd once, it should always do so for the rest of the round whenever
dfmc is fed into the machine. 

II. Example Transformations 

["The last animal is transformed into a dog" converts dfmc -> dfmd "The
last two animals are transformed into duplicates of the first
animal" converts dfmc -> dfdd "Whenever a cat is immediately followed by
a mouse, those two animals are replaced by a frog" converts
dfcmmcm -> dffmf "Every dog is replaced by a cat followed by two frogs
and then a mouse" converts cdmdfc -> ccffmmcffmfc] 

III. Applying Transformation Rules 

When a transformation rule is applied, each transformation in the rule
is applied, in order, to the current list of animals in the machine.
The animals in the machine are changed before the next transformation is
applied, so the rule consisting of the three transformations "All
dogs become cats. All cats become frogs. All frogs become mice." would
turn all animals entering the machine into mice. 

IV. Moves 

Each turn, each player submits one of the following moves to each Mad
Scientist (but not themselves). After the fifth round players may submit
a second Transformation, using the animals remaining after the first
transformation (but before it is applied). A player's zoo, is the zoo
tracked for them by the Mad Scientist to whom the move was submitted.

A. Pass. No change occurs in the player's zoo. 

B. Restart. The player's entire zoo is replaced by a new collection of 5
randomly-chosen animals, again with the provision that if the
chosen zoo matches the target zoo exactly, it is replaced with another
newly chosen zoo, repeatedly, until it does not match the target zoo.

C. Transformation. Along with this move, the player submits an ordered
list of animals to be fed into one of the transformation machines,
and specifies which machine (A or B) they are fed into. The list of
animals must only contain animals from that player's zoo, and no more
animals of any one species than are in his zoo. Those animals are
removed from his zoo, fed into the machine indicated in the order
specified, that machine's transformation rule is applied to those
animals, and the resulting animals are returned to his zoo. This is the
usual
move, and may be specified by just stating the machine and list of
animals. 

D. Theoretical. Identical to a Transformation except that up to two
lists of animals may be specified, the lists are not constrained by the
player's zoo, the animals appear out of no where (they are not taken
from the players zoo), and the resultant animals immediately disappear
(they are not added to the players zoo).

8) Conditions for winning the game 

When the game ends, whoever has the highest score wins. If there is a
tie for highest score, all tied players win. 

9) Trophies 

The winner receives a standard trophy. 

10) Ending the game 

When there are no Mad Scientists and the final scores have been posted,
the game ends.
FFFM ->A MMMF

Create a new rule numbered 12-3-16-1 with the title of this proposal and
the text:
"
Until the end of the current round, the current game of Frog, Frog,
Frog, Mouse shall follow the old rules. When the round ends:
i) the game shall be amended to follow the new rules.
ii) all of it players except JT and K 2 shall be Mad Scientists.
iii) this rule shall repeal itself.
"

------------------------------

End of acka-voting Digest V4 #188
*********************************