Subject: acka-voting Digest V4 #142
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-voting digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 00:00:08 -0400 (EDT)

acka-voting Digest	Friday, July 16 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 142

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4252
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:22:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]

Proposal 4252
Short and Sweet
K 2
Due: Fri Jul 23 03:22:06 1999
Sphere: Tocpe

This is a Grandiose Proposal.

1. Append the following to the end of the "Effect:" section of Rule
7-16-4 (ASS Song: Ode to Joy) as a separate paragraph:
"
iv) Players may not perform any operation on points.
"
[Only while the song is playing]

2. Amend Rule 1-1 (Resolving Conflicts) by deleting the final paragraph
which reads:
"
If two rules have different base numbers, use the base number to
determine which is lowest. Among rules with the same base number, use
the sub rule numbers to determine which rule has the lowest number,
treating a rule without a sub rule number as if the sub rule number was
zero.
"
[Compare the effect of that paragraph with the one in Rule 2-3:
"An H number is larger than another H number if the first (from left to
right) integer which differs between the two is larger. When a rule Z1
is moved to become rule Z2, all its children Z1-X are moved to Z2-X"]

3.a Amend Rule 1-2-2 (Spelling Bee) by:
i) replacing the text "[sic]" with "(sic)" in section 5.b.e. [no
semantic meaning]
ii) deleting the sentence "This clause takes precedence over any rule
which would require such notation." in section 7.
[The rules don't require any such notation - Rule 6-4-4 states rules
should be annotated with "customary ancillary information", which
customarily does not include the spelling bee.]

3.b {{All Dull Spellbooks are transformed into Shimmering Spellbooks.}}
3.c Amend Rule 1-2-2-1 (Spellbooks) to read in full:
"
Shimmering Spellbooks exist. They are non-tradeable entities. A player
may not own more than one Shimmering Spellbook, excess books are
destroyed. Players may destroy any Shimmering Spellbooks in their
possession as a public action.

Any player with a Shimmering Spellbook is permitted to initiate a flight
of the Spelling Bee, as in Rule 1-2-2.

Some Offices may include possession of Shimmering Spellbooks among their
privileges; in this case, if ever the holder of such an Office does not
possess a Shimmering Spellbook, one is created in their possession.
"

4. Replace section e under the heading "The Privileges are:" of Rule
6-4-4 (Rule-Harfer) with:
"
e) To own a Shimmering Spellbook.

f) It is a privilege of the Rule Harfer to create Shimmering Spellbooks
for players, or to destroy them, as a public action.
"

5. Amend Rule 1-2-8-2 (Yes Virginia) by:
a) deleting sections V and VII and renumbering section VI to V.
[The deleted section refers to non-entities left over from various
repeals - namely APPs and Skills.]
b) deleting the final paragraph.
[unnecessary and incorrect precedence clause - "This Rule takes
precedence over all Rules numbered 200 or lower."]

6. Amend Rule 1-4 (When Score Changes Take Effect) by:
a) deleting (in section 1.d) the phrase "This section (1), defers
precedence to R2-2.".
[The identical precedence clause at the end of the rule takes care of
this.]
b) deleting (in section 4) the phrase "it is the duty of the Scorekeeper
to announce such score changes."
[As far as I can see this requires me to announce that the self deleting
text in P4229 caused EA!P! to lose 8 points and the rule-harfer (IB) and
the scorekeeper (K2) to gain 4 points each - funnily enough that is
exactly what P4229 has already said....]

7. Amend Rule 1-6-1 (Player Names) by:
a) changing the phrase "neither the President" into "the President" in
the third paragraph.

8. Amend Rule 1-6-2 (Proposal and Rule Titles) by deleting the phrase
"(This paragraph takes precedence over Rule 1-6-3.)".
[Funny thing - it already does :-)]

9. Amend Rule 1-6-3 (Entity Names) by deleting the phrase:
"
If the Rules do not specify any other method for determining its name,
or if the method specified does not give a legal name, that entity shall
be considered nameless until a name is legally assigned to it.
"
[Latter sections of the same rule have the same effect - cf the second
last paragraph.]

10. Amend Rule 1-8 (Retractions) by deleting the phrase "d) Discoveries
(retracted Discoveries are Debunked)."
[Blueprints, Gadgets and Frankenstein's Monsters have gone - for now
;-)]}}

11. Amend Rule 2-1-1 (Fair Voting Practices) by:
a) deleting sub-section B from section I which reads "B. Being part of a
political party that gets a unity vote."
[Political Party? Unity Vote?]
b) deleting section III which reads:
"
Entities which generate effects based on the way players vote on a
proposal, do so prior to the application of that proposal.
"
[Section II currently reads:
"If a proposal adds, changes, or repeals rules that generate effects or
cause some entity to generate effects (including but not limited to
score changes) based on the way players vote, then those rules generate
no effects based on the way players vote on that particular proposal.
This section of this rule takes precedence over all other rules which
generate effects based on the way players vote on proposals."

Rule 1-4 section 5 takes precedence over section III in the matter of
scoring:
"If a Rule describes a score change that would normally come about as
the result of the passage of a Proposal, then that score change is
considered to occur an infinitesimal amount of time before any of the
rule changes or effects listed in that Proposal occur."

The above change just makes the effect of 1-4 extend to things other
than score changes.]

12. Amend Rule 2-2 (Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are
Reported) by making section I read in full:
"
All the following scoring changes are applied at the time the Proposal's
tabulated voting results are officially reported, prior to any of the
proposals effects.
"
[Simpler timeline: Proposal's results reported, Score changes due to
acceptance/rejection, Effect of proposal (including further score
changes]

13. Amend Rule 2-2-2 (Literature) by deleting the phrase ", and up to
any player to find another piece of literature that also contains the
quote." from the final paragraph of section I.A.
[Literature quotes need not be unique anymore - this is a hangover from
precious amendments]

14. Amend Rule 2-2-3 (Ackanomic Unity) by replacing section 1 with:
"
1) The day of Ackanomic Unity shall be the date the proposal was
accepted.
"
[A shorter version with the same effect]

15. Amend Rule 2-2-4 (Parades) by:
a) replacing the phrase similar to "The Guest of Honour will also
recieve a puzzle piece of eir choice as long as that piece is not part
of a Winnable Bag." with "The Guest of Honour will receive an additional
10 points."
b) replace the final paragraph [cardboard cut-outs and replicas] with
[cardboard cut-outs alone]:
"
Any vacationing player will be represented by a cardboard cut-out on
wheels, which will lower the whole tone of the occasion, so any points
they would have received as a result of the Parade will be withheld.
"

16. Amend Rule 2-2-6 (Let there be Harf!) by replacing the paragraph
starting with (At most one player is "Funky and Stylish" at any one
time;) with the following HLOEL delimited text.
HLOEL
"Funky and Stylish" is a unique title. When a player is designated
"Funky and Stylish", they gain 5 points. Only one player may be
designated "Funky and Stylish" per calendar week.
HLOEL

17. Replace the list of punishments (a-i) in Rule 3-6 (Criminal Justice)

with:
"
a) a PUBLIC APOLOGY of 1 or more lines by Player X.
b) the TRANSFERENCE of 0 or more entities or characteristics associated
with Player X to either the Treasury or the initiator of the CFCJ.
c) a SENTENCE in the Gaol of 1 or more days for Player X.
d) the REMOVAL of Player X from one or more Institutions to which e
currently belongs.
e) The IMPEACHMENT of Player X from a single specific office which e
currently holds.
f) the EXPULSION of Player X from the game.
 "

18. Amend Rule 4 (Players and Player States) by deleting sub-section b
from section V.
[Acting officer redundancy]

19. Amend Rule 4-1-1 (Mentors) by replacing the phrase:
"
Any Active player may place emself in the Mentor pool or remove emself
therefrom by notifying the Registrar. This notification may be done
privately.
"
with:
"
Any Active player may place emself in the Mentor pool or remove emself
therefrom by notifying the Registrar.
"
[notification of the registrar implies the possibility of private
correspondence]

20. Amend Rule 4 (Far Out) by replacing the phrase:
"
If the player does not respond within 3 days, their location is changed
to Fairy Land.
"
with:
"
If the player fails to perform a game action within 3 days, their
location is changed to Fairy Land.
"
[respond - game action same thing :-)]

21. Amend Rule 4-4-5-2 (Dishonourable Acts) by:
a) removing the phrase "1 Honour: going to Gaol" from the list of
Uniquely Dishonourable Acts and placing it in the list of Repeatably
Dishonourable Acts.
[Well it is]
b) deleting the phrase "1 honour: Bribing players (not Tammany) on a
proposal."
[Alas Tammany is no longer with us]

22. Amend Rule 4-5 (A Degree Proves You're Educated) by:
a) replacing "A player may gain the title student" with "A player, who
is not already a student, may gain the title student" in the first
paragraph of section 1.
[multiple studentships prohibited]
b) delete the phrase "pretend to" in the second paragraph of section 1.
[Pretend!!! PRETEND!!!?]

23. Delete sub-section f of section 9 of Rule 4-11 (Boons of the
Ancients) which reads similar to:
"
f) The Gods are Puzzled. The player recieves an APP of eir choice. This
piece may be part of a Winnable Bag. (1)
"
[puzzle pieces are non-entities]

24.a Amend Rule 6 (Offices, Commonalities) by deleting the phrase "This
sub-section takes precedence over section (iv) and R6-4." from section
viii.a.
[It does this anyway - rule 6 is lower than rule 6-4]

24.b Amend Rule 6-1 (Acting Officers) by deleting "Evil Math Troll," and
"General Contractor," from section III.
[repealed offices]

25. Amend Rule 6-4-13 (Map-Harfer) by:
a) deleting section 1 which reads:
"
1) To appoint Assistant Map-Harfers to assist his in the execution of
duties b) and c) above.
"
[covered by other rules ie 6-2-1]
b) renumbering section 2 to section 1.

26. Amend Rule 6-4-19 (Dungeon Master) by deleting item ii from the list
of privileges.
[Basic player characteristics were repealed]

27. Amend Rule 6-5-1 (President) by deleting its final sentence which
reads:
"
This section has precedence over rule 6.
"
[Rule 6-1 defers to rule 6-5-1 so there is no need for this - why it
wants to take precedence over rule 6 is a bit of a mystery ;-)]

28. Amend Rule 7-14 (Definition of Otzma Cards) by replacing "R516" with
"the auction".
[Relative references rock :-)]

29 [See P4242]

30. Append "Frinks are entities." to the end of Rule 7-15 (Royal Frinks)

[This should've been done ages ago]

31. Amend Rule 7-16 (Ackanomic Sound System) by:
a) deleting the phrase "This action fails if the entity does not own
sufficient A$, or has no Tokens." from final paragraph of section II.
[This is covered by rule 7-1 - "Entities may not manipulate ownable
entities which they do not own except as explicitly permitted by the
rules."]
b) deleting the phrase "The act of placing a Token into the banna-shaped
slot of the ASS' control panel destroys that Token." from section IV.
[Covered by section II]
c) replace sub-section of section IV which currently reads:
"
e) Cost: The amount of A$ which must be placed in the banna-shaped slot
in the ASS' control panel to play this Song. If the Cost is not
specified, it defaults to Infinite; i.e., the Song cannot be purchased
with A$ as described above.
"
with:
"
e) Cost: If the Cost is not specified the Song can not be purchased with
A$.
"
{{K 2's Courage is reduced by 10}}

32. Amend Rule 7-17 (Chemicals) by:
a) deleting the paragraph that starts with "Brain Damage (14)".
b) deleting the phrase "Eir Fire Characteristic increases by 1, and "
from the paragraph commencing with "Spontaneous Combustion (1)" and
capitalise the first letter of its final sentence.
[Basic player characteristics and elemental characteristics have all
been repealed]

33. Delete the final sentence in Rule 7-17-1 (Ancientium) which reads
"Ingestion of a nose-sack of Ancientium causes the Ingestor's Wisdom
Characteristic to increase by 1."

34. Amend Rule 8-4 (Winning by Points) by replacing "the Magic Number"
with "their Magic Number" in the final paragraph.

35. Amend Rule 9-1 (Gaol) by:
a) replacing the second paragraph with:
"
The Gaol has an Evidence Room but its kinda cramped so we don't put
anything in there anymore
"
b) removing ", or to be Mad Sculptors" from the fourth paragraph.
c) deleting item 8 which reads "8) A player in the Gaol may remove a
Puppet Head.".

36. Amend Rule 10-1-7 (Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication) by
replacing the paragraph that starts with "Wings:" with the following:
"
Wings: Cost -- 100 A$. Winged players and only winged players, can fly.
Since extra heads ruin a player's aerodynamics, a player may not have
both wings and an extra head.
"
[There was a CFJ about this - now its official :-)]

37. Amend Rule 10-3 (Buildings) by:
a) in section I, deleting sub-sections iv and v.
b) in section II, replacing "an Attached building" in section iii with
"a building".
c) in section III, delete sub-section iii
[Floating buildings are old harf]

38. Amend Rule 10-6 (We don't need Gravity) by:
a) deleting the phrase ", in the case of a building it shall become
Tethered"
b) deleting the final paragraph.
[Old Harf - but I don't have the courage :-)]
{{K 2's courage is reduced by 1}}

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4253
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:22:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]

Proposal 4253
Judge Dread
K 2
Due: Fri Jul 23 03:22:16 1999
Sphere: Tocpe

[The rules still use terminology from when Cortex composition was
static]

Amend Rule 3-4 (Overturning Judgements) Section V to read in full:
"
Supreme Cortices should make every effort to return verdicts assigned to
them within a reasonable amount of time in order to keep the
game moving along. A Justice may decline a CFJ assigned to them (as part
of a cortex) as a public action.

In addition, if a Cortex has been considering a particular CFJ for more
than 30 days, that Cortex (ie both members) shall automatically
decline that CFJ upon this fact being pointed out publicly by any active
player.

When a Justice declines a CFJ assigned to em, e shall be replaced
according to the usual method for selecting cortex members.
"

Amend Rule 3-4-1 (Selecting a Cortex) to read in full:
"
Whenever the Rules call for the Supreme Court to consider a CFJ for the
first time, the Clerk of the Courts shall assign that CFJ to a
Supreme Cortex and select its two members, as outlines below. A Supreme
Cortex exists only for the purpose of judging a single case,
although there may be multiple Cortices with overlapping or identical
memberships.

When the CotC is required to select one or more players to be part of a
Supreme Cortex (hereafter Cortex) e shall do so based on the
following guidelines:
1) All active members of the Supreme Court, other than those who are
already part of the Cortex, are considered to be in the pool of
candidates
2) Any player who has declined the case is removed from the pool
3) Any player who is named as a defendant is removed from the pool
4) Any player who made the case initially is removed from the pool
5) Any player who appealed the case is removed from the pool

If steps 3,4 or 5 would result in fewer than the required number of
players, it is not performed. If the pool does not contain sufficient
players, then the cortex for which the player was required shall consist
of the entire Supreme Court. Otherwise, sufficient players are
selected and removed from the pool, starting with the players who are
judging the least number of cases. Ties are broken randomly.

If the Rules direct the Supreme Court to consider a given CFJ for a
second time, the entire Court shall consider the matter (as opposed to
a single Cortex).
"

Amend section IV of Rule 6-5-2 (Supreme Court) to read in full:
"
When a Justice goes on Vacation, for each cortices of which they are a
member, a Justice is selected to replace em in an Acting capacity.
This paragraph takes precedence over Rules that would prevent the same
player being an Officer and an Acting Officer in the same
Office.
"

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4254
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:22:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]

Proposal 4254
Shrubbery!
K 2
Due: Fri Jul 23 03:22:27 1999
Sphere: Wombles of Wibbledon

Create an new rule having the text of this proposal, but excluding this
sentence - ni!.

The Botanical Gardens are a small common location situated next to the
gaol, overlooking the river. It contains a wide variety of rare and
valuable plants, including Ackanomic's entire collection of Shrubbery.

For the purposes of the rules and other works of botanical importance,
the terms Observer and Shrubbery are synonymous.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting Digest V4 #142
*********************************