Subject: acka-voting Digest V4 #94
From: [email-masked]
To: acka-voting digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:00 EDT

acka-voting Digest	Wednesday, May 12 1999	Volume: 04  Issue: 094

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4160 accepted
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4160

Subcommittee vote for: 123   against:0
Subcommittee Acceptance Index: 123.0
Passed subcommittee
Total vote for: 323   Total vote against:-200
Acceptance Index: 23.0: proposal accepted

Votes to accept:
  else...if             100         ==> 383
  rufus                  23    +20  ==> 498
  Studge                200    -100 ==> 160

Votes to reject:
  /dev/joe             -100         ==> 1864
  Dr. Gaga Nome        -100         ==> 3581

Abstainers:
  r-attila the farce   
  Calvin N Hobbes      
  Laa Laa              
  Blest Lax Monk Pal   
  Taser                
  Robin Hood           
  Vynd                 
  Trent                
  ThinMan              
  O Olde Alpha         
  IdiotBoy             
  rice                 
  danke                
  Burn the Witch       
  Slakko               
  Niccolo Flychuck     
  two-star             
  K 2                  

 Subject: Acka: Proposal 4160
 
 Proposal 4160
 Merrily we fall along
 else...if
 Due: Wed May 12 16:30:57 1999
 Sphere: Tocpe
 Status: accepted
 
 	Move rule 17 to 17-2
 	Create rule 17, "Ambassador" to read as the following
 THISONCEWASTHELIAISON-delimited text
 THISONCEWASTHELIAISON
 	The office of Ambassador is a political office.  The Ambassador is
 the delegate<0> of Ackanomic to the InterNomic Treaty Organization<0> as
 defined in rule 17-1.  The Ambassador must always be subscribed to the
 offical INTO-mailing-list<0>.
 	Any player may call an Agreement hearing on an InterNomic-Treaty<0>
 which Ackanomic has not signed or a Disagreement hearing on an
 InterNomic-Treaty<0> which Ackanomic has signed<0> and which allows
 Ackanomic to unsign<0> it.  The Ambassador is the Hearing Harfer on both
 types of hearings.  The valid responses to an Agreement hearing are "No! We
 want to mess up things for ourselves, without help from those
 black-helicopter flying INTO goons!" and "Surrender control to those
 black-helicopter flying INTO goons!".  If the result is the latter than the
 Ambassador should sign<0> the treaty<0> the hearing was called on for
 Ackanomic.  The valid responses to a Disagreement hearing are "What's your
 problem?  Our rulers are doing a great job of pretending they still have
 power" and "Never mind prosperity for all, let's return to the dark ages".
 If the result is the latter the Ambassador should unsign<0> the treaty<0>.
 The Ambassador may never sign<0> a treaty<0> which has terms which include
 hyphens, greater than, or less than signs, unless all such signs have a
 space on at least one side.
 	Should the INTO Archivist<0> be a player of Ackanomic then that
 player receives the SHF as a monthly salary for bringing glory to Ackanomic.
 	If a word or string of hyphenated words is followed by a less than
 sign, a nonnegative integer, and then a greater than sign: [<n>] then the
 word is considered to be equivalent to the way that word or that word with
 the hyphens replaced by spaces is used in INT#n<0>.  No other terms or
 words used in the rules are considered to be the same as any terms defined
 in an InterNomic-Treaty<0>.  If n is 0 then it means the term is considered
 equivalent to a term defined in the INTO-rules<0>.
 THISONCEWASTHELIAISON
 Create rule 17-1, "INTO Ruleset" with the following
 RULESANDREGULATIONS-delimited text
 RULESANDREGULATIONS
 Everything in this rule after this sentence is the ruleset of the
 InterNomic Treaty Organization
 Rule 1:
 	The Archivist is responsible for tracking InterNomic Treaties.
 
 Rule 2:
 	The Archivist selects the official mailing list, and must make a
 public notification of any changes to it.  The first Archivist will be Uri
 Bruck ([email-masked]) and the first mailing list will be
 [email-masked].
 
 Rule 3:
 	A notification is public if it is sent to everyone subscribed to
 the mailing list.
 
 Rule 4:
 	A Nomic may designate a single delegate to the InterNomic Treaty
 Organization.  Changes to the identity or the initial announcement of a
 delegate must be made by public notice.  If there is an ambiguity about the
 identity of the delegate, the Archivist should determine the correct
 identity by inspecting the ruleset of that Nomic and other documents
 relating to that Nomic.  If the rules and other documents for a Nomic are
 not available on the Web, then that Nomic must make them available to the
 Archivist in order have a delegate.
 
 Rule 5:
 	The Archivist is elected.  When there is no Archivist, Treaties may
 not be made or signed.  If public notice is made that there is no
 Archivist, and no public notice is made by the Archivist contradicting this
 fact for one week, then nominations begin.  A person nominates emself by
 making public notice of this.  After one week of nominations, each Nomic,
 through its delegate, may vote for a candidate via public notice.  Two
 weeks after the votes begin, the person who received the most votes becomes
 Archivist.  If there is a tie, a runoff is held between tied people as if
 nominations had just ended and those two were the only nominees.  Note that
 this ay require multiple runoffs.
 
 Rule 6:
 	A person proposes a Treaty by making public notice of the content
 of the treaty.  For two weeks after it is proposed, a Treaty is
 preliminary.  After a Treaty has been preliminary for two weeks, it becomes
 an official InterNomic Treaty if it has been endorsed by at least three
 people, one of whom must be a delegate, including the player who proposed
 it (who is automatically assumed to endorse it).  Otherwise it is
 destroyed.  Endorsements may only be made by public notice.
 
 Rule 7:
 	When a Treaty becomes an official InterNomic Treaty, the Archivist
 must assign it the smallest positive integer not already assigned to a
 Treaty and make its content available upon request (preferably be storing
 it on a web page).  In any occurances of the string "INT#n" in that Treaty,
 the "n" is replaced by the number of the Treaty.
 
 Rule 8:
 	Any Nomic, through its delegate, may sign an InterNomic Treaty by
 making public notice of this.  The signing succeeds if and only if the
 Nomic has met all prerequisites within the Treaty for signing it.  The
 Archivist should track which Nomics have signed a Treaty along with the
 content of the Treaty.  A Nomic may remove its signature from an InterNomic
 Treaty unless the Treaty puts restrictions on doing so, in which case the
 Nomic must meet those restrictions before doing so.
 
 Rule 9:
 	Although Nomics are expected to abide by an honor code, and obey
 the treaties they have signed, there is no general enforcement method in
 existance.  Treaties should include enforcement when it is neccessary.
 RULESANDREGULATIONS

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 4161 rejected
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 20:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

Proposal 4161

Subcommittee vote for: 700   against:-200
Subcommittee Acceptance Index: 400.0
Passed subcommittee
Total vote for: 1600   Total vote against:-1110
Acceptance Index: -65.0: proposal rejected

Votes to accept:
  Blest Lax Monk Pal    400    -300 ==> 79
  Taser                 100         ==> 1
  else...if             300    -200 ==> 183
  Dr. Gaga Nome         400    -300 ==> 3281
  rufus                 200    -100 ==> 398
  IdiotBoy              200    -100 ==> 192

Votes to reject:
  /dev/joe             -150    -50  ==> 1814
  Laa Laa              -153    -53  ==> 23
  Studge               -200    -100 ==> 60
  rice                 -100         ==> -52
  Slakko               -300    -200 ==> 300
  Niccolo Flychuck     -200    -100 ==> -70 ** Went into debt, loses 10 ** 
  two-star               -7    +20  ==> 120

Abstainers:
  r-attila the farce   
  Calvin N Hobbes      
  Robin Hood           
  Vynd                 
  Trent                
  ThinMan              
  O Olde Alpha         
  danke                
  Burn the Witch       
  K 2                  

 Subject: Acka: Proposal 4161
 
 Proposal 4161
 Time to Cash in Our Chips
 else...if
 Due: Wed May 12 20:53:22 1999
 Sphere: Tocpe
 Status: rejected
 
 Replace the rules with the following TAKETWO-delimited text
 TAKETWO
 Immutable Rules
        100. This game shall be known as Phoenix
 
        101. All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect,
 in the form in which they are then in effect. The rules in the Initial Set
 are in effect whenever a game begins. The Initial Set consists of Rules
 100-116 (immutable) and 201-213 (mutable).
 
        102. Initially rules in the 100's are immutable and rules in the
 200's are mutable. Rules subsequently enacted or transmuted (that is,
 changed from immutable to mutable or vice versa) may be immutable or
 mutable regardless of their numbers, and rules in the Initial Set may be
 transmuted regardless of their numbers.
 
        103. A rule-change is any of the following: (1) the enactment,
 repeal, or amendment of a mutable rule; or (2) the transmutation of an
 immutable rule into a mutable rule or vice versa.
 
        (Note: This definition implies that, at least initially, all new
 rules are mutable; immutable rules, as long as they are immutable, may not
 be amended or repealed; mutable rules, as long as they are mutable, may be
 amended or repealed; any rule of any status may be transmuted; no rule is
 absolutely immune to change.)
 
        104. All rule-changes proposed in the proper way shall be voted on.
 They will be adopted if and only if they receive the required number of
 votes.
 
        105. Every player is an eligible voter.
 
        106. All proposed rule-changes shall be written down before they are
 voted on. If they are adopted, they shall guide play in the form in which
 they were voted on.
 
        107. No rule-change may take effect earlier than the moment of the
 completion of the vote that adopted it, even if its wording explicitly
 states otherwise. No rule-change may have retroactive application.
 
        108. Each proposed rule-change shall be given a number for
 reference. The numbers shall begin with 301, and each rule-change proposed
 in the proper way shall receive the next successive integer, whether or not
 the proposal is adopted.
 
        If a rule is repealed and reenacted, it receives the number of the
 proposal to reenact it. If a rule is amended or transmuted, it receives the
 number of the proposal to amend or transmute it. If an amendment is amended
 or repealed, the entire rule of which it is a part receives the number of
 the proposal to amend or repeal the amendment.
 
        109. Rule-changes that transmute immutable rules into mutable rules
 may be adopted if and only if the vote is unanimous among the eligible
 voters. Transmutation shall not be implied, but must be stated explicitly
 in a proposal to take effect.
 
        110. In a conflict between a mutable and an immutable rule, the
 immutable rule takes precedence and the mutable rule shall be entirely
 void. For the purposes of this rule a proposal to transmute an immutable
 rule does not "conflict" with that immutable rule.
 
        111. If a rule-change as proposed is unclear, ambiguous,
 paradoxical, or destructive of play, or if it arguably consists of two or
 more rule-changes compounded or is an amendment that makes no difference,
 or if it is otherwise of questionable value, then the other players may
 suggest amendments or argue against the proposal before the vote. A
 reasonable time must be allowed for this debate. The proponent decides the
 final form in which the proposal is to be voted on and, unless the Judge
 has been asked to do so, also decides the time to end debate and vote.
 
        112. The state of affairs that constitutes winning may not be
 altered from achieving n points to any other state of affairs. The
 magnitude of n and the means of earning points may be changed, and rules
 that establish a winner when play cannot continue may be enacted and (while
 they are mutable) be amended or repealed.
 
        113. A player always has the option to forfeit the game rather than
 continue to play or incur a game penalty. No penalty worse than losing, in
 the judgment of the player to incur it, may be imposed.
 
        114. There must always be at least one mutable rule. The adoption of
 rule-changes must never become completely impermissible.
 
        115. Rule-changes that affect rules needed to allow or apply
 rule-changes are as permissible as other rule-changes. Even rule-changes
 that amend or repeal their own authority are permissible. No rule-change or
 type of move is impermissible solely on account of the self-reference or
 self-application of a rule.
 
        116. Whatever is not prohibited or regulated by a rule is permitted
 and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing the rules, which is
 permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly or implicitly permits
 it.
 
 Mutable Rules
 
        201. A player may make a proposal at any time by informing the other
 players of it.
 
        202. Players vote by informing the other players of their vote, and
 may vote for or against.
 
        203. A rule-change is adopted after one week if and only if
 two-thirds of the votes cast are in favor, otherwise it fails. If this rule
 is not amended by the end of the second complete circuit of turns, it
 automatically changes to require only a simple majority.
 
        204. The players who vote against winning proposals shall receive 10
 points each.
 
        205. An adopted rule-change takes full effect at the moment of the
 completion of the vote that adopted it.
 
        206. When a proposed rule-change is defeated, the player who
 proposed it loses 10 points.
 
        207. Each player always has exactly one vote.
 
        208. The winner is the first player to achieve 200 (positive) points.
 
        209. At no time may there be more than 25 mutable rules.
 
        210. If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if
 two or more immutable rules conflict with one another, then the rule with
 the lowest ordinal number takes precedence.
 
        If at least one of the rules in conflict explicitly says of itself
 that it defers to another rule (or type of rule) or takes precedence over
 another rule (or type of rule), then such provisions shall supersede the
 numerical method for determining precedence.
 
        If two or more rules claim to take precedence over one another or to
 defer to one another, then the numerical method again governs.
 
        211. If players disagree about the legality of a move or the
 interpretation or application of a rule, then the player who made the most
 recent proposal other than the player raising the dispute is to be the
 Judge and decide the question. Disagreement for the purposes of this rule
 may be created by the insistence of any player. This process is called
 invoking Judgment.
 
        When Judgment has been invoked, the next player may not begin his or
 her turn without the consent of a majority of the other players.
 
        The Judge's Judgment may be overruled only by a unanimous vote of
 the other players. If a Judge's Judgment is overruled, then the player
 preceding the Judge in the playing order becomes the new Judge for the
 question, and so on, except that no player is to be Judge during his or her
 own turn or during the turn of a team-mate.
 
        Unless a Judge is overruled, one Judge settles all questions arising
 from the game for one week, including questions as to his or her own
 legitimacy and jurisdiction as Judge.
 
        New Judges are not bound by the decisions of old Judges. New Judges
 may, however, settle only those questions on which the players currently
 disagree and that affect the completion of the turn in which Judgment was
 invoked. All decisions by Judges shall be in accordance with all the rules
 then in effect; but when the rules are silent, inconsistent, or unclear on
 the point at issue, then the Judge shall consider game-custom and the
 spirit of the game before applying other standards.
 TAKETWO
 Destroy everything except for the rules and the players

------------------------------

End of acka-voting Digest V4 #94
********************************