Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #198
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Friday, November 20 1998      Volume 03 : Number 198

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:34:39 -0800 (PST)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: postal Code

This is the new postal code.  The main changes are that it says that these
lists are the new public fora.   I also tried to clean up some of the
previous confusion around acka-research.  If people feel the new wording
is really broken, or what have you, please let me know and I'll revert it
to the wording that breadbox had previously which, while I feel was
slightly broken, has at least some history :)

This message also serves to confirm that this list is operational.  I am
sending it to all of the current lists, so if you are subscribed to more
than one (most of you are) you will recieve this once for each list.

--JT

----------------------------------
   The Postal Code
     _________________________________________________________________
   
   All addresses below which end in @ should be treated as having
   "ackanomic.org" appended to them.
   
   ackanomic@ is the official mailing list. It is an unrestricted public
   forum [but if a message would be more appropriate on a different
   mailing list, players are encouraged to use that one instead].
   
   acka-voting@ is the official voting mailing list. It is a public forum
   meant for game actions involving proposals. [Thus the Promoter and
   Tabulator would send most of the messages on this list, but it is also
   appropriate for other voting player actions (such as retracting a
   proposal).]
    
   acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. Messages
   sent to this list may not contain any player actions, game actions, or
   attempt on the part of a player to alter the game state within their
   text. [In short, no one *needs* to be subscribed to this list.]
   
   acka-chess@ is a public forum only to be used for game actions in
   Party Chess.
   
   acka-games@ is a public forum meant for game actions involving other
   subgames. [For example: Grab-a-Donkey, the Machine That Goes *ping*,
   and anything in the Games & Contests Rule Suite.] IRC servers are
   legal fora in lieu of acka-games@ provided the server in question is
   specified, and used as described in the rules.
   
   acka-duels@ is a public forum meant for game actions in the course of
   duels between players. IRC servers are legal fora in lieu of
   acka-duels@ provided the serverin question is specified and used ad
   described in the rules.
    
   acka-priv@ is an alternate form of ackanomic@.
   acka-games-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-games@.
   acka-duels-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-duels@.
   [These are used for public messages needing a private reply.]

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:41:24 +0000 (GMT)
From: The Karaoke Kid <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: postal Code

On receiving this list, I get a pain in all the diodes down my left side.
I feel the urge to stick my head in a bucket of water. Life. Don't talk to
me about life.

Jack Rudd
President of the unofficial Jackie Woodburne Fan Club

----------------------------------------------------
X^n+Y^n=Z^n: no integer solutions for n>2.

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this,
but it won't fit into my sig file.
----------------------------------------------------

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, JT wrote:

> This is the new postal code.  The main changes are that it says that these
> lists are the new public fora.   I also tried to clean up some of the
> previous confusion around acka-research.  If people feel the new wording
> is really broken, or what have you, please let me know and I'll revert it
> to the wording that breadbox had previously which, while I feel was
> slightly broken, has at least some history :)
> 
> This message also serves to confirm that this list is operational.  I am
> sending it to all of the current lists, so if you are subscribed to more
> than one (most of you are) you will recieve this once for each list.
> 
> --JT
> 
> ----------------------------------
>    The Postal Code
>      _________________________________________________________________
>    
>    All addresses below which end in @ should be treated as having
>    "ackanomic.org" appended to them.
>    
>    ackanomic@ is the official mailing list. It is an unrestricted public
>    forum [but if a message would be more appropriate on a different
>    mailing list, players are encouraged to use that one instead].
>    
>    acka-voting@ is the official voting mailing list. It is a public forum
>    meant for game actions involving proposals. [Thus the Promoter and
>    Tabulator would send most of the messages on this list, but it is also
>    appropriate for other voting player actions (such as retracting a
>    proposal).]
>     
>    acka-research@ is a public forum meant for discussion only. Messages
>    sent to this list may not contain any player actions, game actions, or
>    attempt on the part of a player to alter the game state within their
>    text. [In short, no one *needs* to be subscribed to this list.]
>    
>    acka-chess@ is a public forum only to be used for game actions in
>    Party Chess.
>    
>    acka-games@ is a public forum meant for game actions involving other
>    subgames. [For example: Grab-a-Donkey, the Machine That Goes *ping*,
>    and anything in the Games & Contests Rule Suite.] IRC servers are
>    legal fora in lieu of acka-games@ provided the server in question is
>    specified, and used as described in the rules.
>    
>    acka-duels@ is a public forum meant for game actions in the course of
>    duels between players. IRC servers are legal fora in lieu of
>    acka-duels@ provided the serverin question is specified and used ad
>    described in the rules.
>     
>    acka-priv@ is an alternate form of ackanomic@.
>    acka-games-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-games@.
>    acka-duels-priv@ is an alternate form of acka-duels@.
>    [These are used for public messages needing a private reply.]
> 
> 
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> [ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
> [ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
> [-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:55:44 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3735

Proposal 3735
Fixing the BV/Otzma Scam
JT
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:56:07 1998

This is a modest proposal
Amend rule 1045 (Alternative uses for points), by inserting the following
NO_SCAM delimited text into section a so that numbering of the sub-points
is maintained.
NO_SCAM
   (iv)  This type of conversion may only be performed if a conversion
         of this type has not been performed by the player attempting it
         during the prior 14 days.
NO_SCAM

Amend rule 1045 (Alternative uses for points), by inserting the following
NO_SCAM_II delimited text into section b so that the numbering of the
sub-points is maintained.
NO_SCAM_II
   (ii)  This type of conversion may only be performed if a conversion of
         this type has not been performed by the player attempting it
         during the prior 14 days.
NO_SCAM_II

Amend rule 1045 (Alternative uses for points) by inserting the following
text as delimited by NO_NEG_POINTS immediately before subsection a.
NO_NEG_POINTS

Regardless of anything else, a player may not make a conversion in
accordance with this rule which would result in eir having negative
points after the conversion.

NO_NEG_POINTS

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:55:49 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3736

Proposal 3736
Agenda hat resets and No Agendas for the Illuminated
JT
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:56:18 1998

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 607 (Winning by Agenda) by inserting the following X_X
delimited text at the end of the rule
X_X
At the end of a cycle won by this method, all Agenda Hats and Nemesis
Eggplants are destroyed.
X_X

Amend rule 431 (Illuminatus) by replacing the following BAVARIAN delimited
text
BAVARIAN
   During this time, any voting player may submit a number of Agenda
   Conditions equal to three minus the number of Agenda Hats e owns by
   sending them to the Illuminatus.
BAVARIAN

with the following GNOMES_OF_ZURICH delimited text
GNOMES_OF_ZURICH
   During this time, any voting player other than the Illuminatus may submit
   a number of Agenda Conditions equal to three minus the number of Agenda
   Hats e owns by sending them to the Illuminatus.
GNOMES_OF_ZURICH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:56:00 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3737

Proposal 3737
Small State Changes
JT
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:56:28 1998

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 250 (Players and Player States) by replacing the following
text as delimited by SAY_WHAT?
SAY_WHAT?
   III. Changing State

   A Player may change eir state as a public action by announcing the new
   player state, provided eir state has not changed within the past 3
   days, and provided no other rule places any restrictions on eir
   ability to change to a particular state. Whenever a player's state is
   changed, the appropriate following section applies to them:
SAY_WHAT?
with the following WILBUR delimited text
WILBUR
   III. Changing State

   A Player may change eir state as a public action by announcing the new
   player state, provided e has not changed eir state as a public action  
   during the past 3 days, and provided e follows all other restrictions
   placed on eir ability to change states.  When a player voluntarily
   ceases to be Vacationing if e did not specify a new player state, e
   enters the state e had before going on Vacation.   A player may never 
   voluntarily change eir state to Non-Player, but may have eir state
   changed to Non-Player through the action of the rues.  Whenever a player's
   state is changed, the appropriate following section applies to them:
WILBUR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:56:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3738

Proposal 3738
Small fixes to Commie Taxes
JT
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:56:39 1998

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 666 (End of Cycle) by replacing the following COMMIE delimited
text
COMMIE
   ii) All entities with a Total Wealth greater than zero, shall be
   placed on The List in decreasing order of Total Wealth.

   iii) The entity appearing highest on The List, shall transfer 5% of
   eir total wealth to the player lowest on The List and both entities
   shall be removed from The List.

   iv) If there are at least two entities and at least one player are
   still on The List step iii is repeated.
COMMIE
with the following STILL_COMMIE delimited text
STILL_COMMIE
   ii) All entities with a Total Wealth greater than zero and all players
   with a negative Total Wealth, shall be placed on The List in decreasing
   order of Total Wealth.   If there is a tie for Total Wealth, the Financier
   shall make the random determination necessary to order the entities on
   the list.

   iii) The entity appearing highest on The List, shall transfer 5% of
   eir total wealth to the player lowest on The List and both entities
   shall be removed from The List.

   iv) If there are at least two entities still on The List, one of which is
   a player and the other of which has postive wealth, the go to step iii.
STILL_COMMIE

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:56:21 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3739

Proposal 3739
Fixing Orgs Slightly
JT
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:56:49 1998

This is a modest proposal.
{{[
   This proposal is meant to fix the problem with Swingers who lost their
   Swingerships during the aftermath of P3724, and to reset players into
   their castes.   The only orgs I'm 'repairing' are placing swingers back
   into their parties, and the grey councilors/caste members who
   lost their seats due to P3724.  I'm leaving the Senate along since it
   will get fixed by the current election, even though two of the members
   seats shouldn't have been up for election. I'm also modifying the 70%
   H-Sim rule so that it doesn't apply to parties or unique orgs at all.
]}}
Amend rule 1003 (Organizations) section 6 by replacing the following
text as delimited by SIMILAR
SIMILAR
   No player may become a member of an Organisation such that the H
   Similarity between that Organisation and any other would be greater
   than 70%.
SIMILAR
with the following text as delimited by STILL_SIMILAR
STILL_SIMILAR
   No player may become a member of an Organization other than Parties or
   Unique Organizations such that the H Similarity between that Organization
   and any other Organization other than Parties and Unique Organizations
   would be greater than 70%.
STILL_SIMILAR
{{
    All players who were Party Swingers at the instant prior to enactment
    of Proposal 3724 who are not currently members of a Party, are made
    members of the Party they were in immediately prior to the enactment of
    Proposal 3724, and have the Party Swingership for that Party
    transferred to them.

    All players who were members of the Worker or Warrior Caste immediately
    prior to the enactment of Proposal 3724 become members of the caste to
    which they belonged immediately prior to the enactment of Proposal 3724.

    All players who held a seat on the Grey Council immediately prior to the
    enactment of Proposal 3724, regain the seat they held on the Grey Council.
}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:57:10 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3740

Proposal 3740
The Zeroth proposal in my proposal list
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:57:39 1998

this is a modest proposal

{{[it's nothing but a scam org]}}

In rule 670 (Commission d'Arts), replace 
"The Senators shall be the Commissioners" 
with 
"The Historian, the Poet Laureate, the President, and two active players
chosen
at random shall be the Commissioners"
and replace 
"decided on using the standard procedures for Senatorial decision making" 
with 
"created as if the Commisioners were an organization and creating such a
report
was an organizational action permitted to this organization"

Repeal rules 411 (Senate) and 437 (Providing Meaning Where We Can)

The office of Senator is destroyed

In rule 403, replace "Senators concur with the impeachment by so notifying the
President" with "Supreme Court (sans the player being impeached if e is a
Justice) concurs with the impeachment by publicly agreeing"

remove section VI-i of rule 825 and renumber VI-ii and VI-iii to VI-i and
VI-ii
respectively.

remove "near the Senate" from rule 837 (Nothing Important)

in rule 841, replace the following PARTHENON-delimited text

PARTHENON
1) There are two types of towers: Ostentatious Towers and Public Towers. An
Ostentatious Tower is a tower that a player adds to a building they own, or
builds as
a stand-alone tower not attached to any building (the term "Ostentatious
Tower"
is always with respect to a particular player). A Public Tower is a tower that
a player adds to a public building, (that is, a building defined by the rules
which is owned by no player), or to a kaa of public land. 

2) A player is always said to be 'permitted' to build (or extend) an
Ostentatious Tower associated with them. A player is said to be permitted to
build (or extend) a
Public Tower provided they submit a plan to the Senate, and the Senate votes
approval of that plan. Such a plan must describe a tower that could legally be
built (or
a legal extension of an extant Public Tower). The Public Tower so built (or
extension thereof) as a result of this permission must accord with the plan
approved by the
Senate. 
PARTHENON

with the following TAJ-delimited text

TAJ
1) A player may build an Ostentatious tower to add to any building that e
owns.
An Ostentatious Tower is a tower that a player adds to a building they own, or
builds as
a stand-alone tower not attached to any building (the term "Ostentatious
Tower"
is always with respect to a particular player).
TAJ

and

renumber 3 through 8 to 2 through 7 respectively

In rule 905, replace ", Proconsul, or Senator" with "or Speaker" and remove
"or
Senator" wherever it appears in the rule.

In rule 1250.1, replace ", President, or Senate" with "or President" wherever
it appears

Replace "Senator" with "Grey Councillor" wherever it appears in the ruleset
(215, 320)

replace "Senate" with "Grey Council" wherever it appears in the ruleset
(416)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:57:20 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3741

Proposal 3741
It's getting old
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:57:49 1998

{{[I think I was the only one to use this last time.., it's just not as harfy
now that it's less scammy]}}
repeal rule 1136 (Harf the Mail)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:57:31 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3742

Proposal 3742
a wording that does work not so well
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:57:59 1998

In rule 250 (player states), replace the following MUCK-delimited text
MUCK
V. Upon Becoming (and while) Vacationing: 

a) Their expected duration of Vacation is set at 28 days if unspecified,
otherwise it is calculated as 14 days plus the specified duration, with an
overriding minimum of
3 days and maximum of 75 days. (Durations specified as a range of time are
assumed to span from the time of specification until the end of the specified
range of
time.) Players who gone on Vacation voluntarily may specify a duration at the
time they specify they are going on Vacation. 

b) The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by the
Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker, unless some other rule provides
for an
Acting Officer or some other assignment (including possible non-assignment) of
these duties (or the office). The person assuming the duties of these offices
is said to
be assuming them in an acting capacity, and as such, these appointments or
assumption must be made in accordance with R 401, section (i). It is
permissible for an
acting officer, appointed by this clause, to assume the duties of another
acting officer. 

c) Upon having been on vacation for a period of time in excess of the expected
duration of eir vacation, their state is changed to On Ice. 

VI. Upon Becoming (and while) On Ice: 

a) They are removed from any offices they hold. 

b) Section IV is applied as if they became Non-Voting. 

c) All their existing votes on proposals, elections, and hearings whose
results
have not yet been released are canceled. 

d) Their score is set to 0. Players who are On Ice never gain or lose points,
nor do they ever gain entities. 

e) They are removed from all organizations of which they are a member. 

f) If the Player never voted, their state is changed to Non-Player. 

g) All of their mimsy entities are transferred to the treasury. 

h) Upon being On-Ice for 90 days, their state is changed to Non-Player, unless
they (or their likeness) is enshrined in the Hall of Elders, in which case
they
will never
become a Non-Player. 

VII. Upon Becoming a Non-Player: 
MUCK

with the following POND-delimited text

POND
V. Upon Becoming Vacationing: 

Their expected duration of Vacation is set at 28 days if unspecified,
otherwise
it is calculated as 14 days plus the specified duration, with an overriding
minimum of
3 days and maximum of 75 days. (Durations specified as a range of time are
assumed to span from the time of specification until the end of the specified
range of
time.) Players who gone on Vacation voluntarily may specify a duration at the
time they specify they are going on Vacation. 

VI. While Vacationing

The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by the Speaker
or someone appointed by the Speaker, unless some other rule provides for an
Acting Officer or some other assignment (including possible non-assignment) of
these duties (or the office). The person assuming the duties of these offices
is said to
be assuming them in an acting capacity, and as such, these appointments or
assumption must be made in accordance with R 401, section (i). It is
permissible for an
acting officer, appointed by this clause, to assume the duties of another
acting officer.  

Upon having been on vacation for a period of time in excess of the expected
duration of eir vacation, their state is changed to On Ice. 

VII. Upon Becoming On Ice: 

a) They are removed from any offices they hold. 

b) Section IV is applied as if they became Non-Voting. 

c) All their existing votes on proposals, elections, and hearings whose
results
have not yet been released are canceled. 

d) Their score is set to 0. 

e) They are removed from all organizations of which they are a member. 

f) If the Player never voted, their state is changed to Non-Player. 

g) All of their mimsy entities are transferred to the treasury. 

VIII. While On Ice

Players who are On Ice can never gain or lose points, nor can they ever gain
entities. 

If a player has been On-Ice for 90 days, their state is changed to Non-Player,
unless they (or their likeness) is enshrined in the Hall of Elders, in which
case they will never become a Non-Player. 

IX. Upon Becoming a Non-Player: 
POND

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:57:41 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3743

Proposal 3743
Castes and Characteristics are hard work
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:58:10 1998

this is a modest proposal
append "iii to receive a monthly salary of the Standard Harfer Fee." to rule
441 (Dungeon Master)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:57:51 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3744

Proposal 3744
I got betrayed before the cock crowed even once
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:58:20 1998

this is a modest proposal
Repeal rule 1240.52 (Fel Pop)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:02 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3745

Proposal 3745
It doesn't even work
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:58:30 1998

{{[getting rid of that irritating "ability" of go fish]}}
this is a modest proposal
in rule 1240.2(go fish), remove section 2b and renumber 2c to 2b

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:12 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3746

Proposal 3746
Whamiol Fix
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:58:41 1998

{{[they have a wording from before a lot of this stuff was defined as it is
currently, so they need to be smacked into accordance with intent]}}

in rule 594.3 (Whamiol), replace the following phrase:
"new Player enters the game and becomes an active player"
with:
"player ceases to be pending for the first time"

remove the following phrase: 
" (effective the time it is publicly knowable the new player voted for the
first time)"
{{[unnecessary and maybe just a tiny bit contradictory]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:23 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3747

Proposal 3747
points or gamepoints?
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:58:51 1998

{{[just a little hole, but still...]}}

In rule 1250.10(fictionary), replace "points" with "Gamepoints" in section
IV-5-a-i

In rule 1250.19(word unassociation), replace " points " with " Gamepoints " in
the 5th paragraph of section IV.

In rule 1250.21(abstract crescent), replace "points" in the second
paragraph of
part 3 with "Gamepoints"

In rule 1250.25(frog frog frog mouse), replace "game points" with "Gamepoints"
wherever it occurs.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:33 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3748

Proposal 3748
Bringin' Home the Bacon
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:59:02 1998

In rule 1250.22(Bacon), Replace
"
If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e may
challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted. The referee will
check each link in the
Movie Database, and determine whether the chain is valid. Otherwise, a chain
will be assumed to valid if it goes unchallenged for the three days. (If a
player did not
submit a Bacon chain for that round, then eir chain is considered invalid.) 
"
with
"
If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e may
challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted. The referee will
check each link in the
Movie Database, and determine whether the chain is valid. Otherwise, a chain
will be assumed to valid if it is accepted publically by the opposing
player or
if it goes unchallenged for the three days. (If a player did not submit a
Bacon
chain for that round, then eir chain is considered invalid.) 

If a player challenges and the challenged chain is valid, the challenger's
chain is deemed invalid. {{[there is currently no penalty for frivolous
challenge.  Also, this way, if both challenge incorrectly, neither wins the
round]}}
"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:44 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3749

Proposal 3749
come on, silly elements
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:59:12 1998

{{[order is not a characteristic; alignment is...]}}

in rule 540.3 (The Elements), replace the following DELIMITER-delimited text:

DELIMITER
Order represents the eternal battle between Law and Chaos. Order is
represented
symbolically by the Tetrahedron, that polyhedron which is its own dual. Unlike
the
other elements, Order has two sides, and some may define a third side among
those who refuse to choose a side. Players whose Order is -1, 0, or 1 are
considered
Neutral; those whose Order is less than -1 are considered Chaotic, and those
whose Order is greater than 1 are considered Lawful. Whenever a harfy proposal
is
accepted, its submitter's Order decreases by one. Whenever a grandiose
proposal
is accepted, its submitter's Order increases by one. Whenever a TRUE
verdict of
a CFCJ becomes final, the Order of the player named in its statement is
decreased by one. Whenever a player wins a cycle of Ackanomic, eir Order is
increased by
one. 
DELIMITER

with the following DUH-delimited text
DUH
Order represents the eternal battle between Law and Chaos. Order is
represented
symbolically by the Tetrahedron, that polyhedron which is its own dual. Unlike
the
other elements, Order has two sides, and some may define a third side among
those who refuse to choose a side. Players whose Alignment is -1, 0, or 1 are
considered
Neutral; those whose Alignment is less than -1 are considered Chaotic, and
those whose Alignment is greater than 1 are considered Lawful. Whenever a
harfy
proposal is
accepted, its submitter's Alignment decreases by one. Whenever a grandiose
proposal is accepted, its submitter's Alignment increases by one. Whenever a
TRUE verdict of
a CFCJ becomes final, the Alignment of the player named in its statement is
decreased by one. Whenever a player wins a cycle of Ackanomic, eir
Alignment is
increased by
one. 
DUH
{{Each player who has won a cycle, had a harfy or grandiose proposal accepted,
or had a CFCJ against them become final in between the creation of rule 540.3
and the passage of this proposal gains or loses as much alignment as they
would
have if the rule had been worded as it is following the passage of this
proposal}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:58:54 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3750

Proposal 3750
These references are OLD
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:59:22 1998

this is a modest proposal
{{[this hasnt been updated since it was first put in the ruleset in mid-1996. 
Most of these are hopelessly out of date]}} 
In rule 205(When Score Changes Take Effect), remove sections 1e, 2b, 3c,
and 4b
remove the a) heading on sections 2 and 4

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:59:04 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3751

Proposal 3751
Mommy: what's a Synod?
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:59:33 1998

this is a modest proposal
in rule 594.17 (BWG Laser), remove "to the Synod, if such an entity exists,
otherwise the trinket will be transfered"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:59:14 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3752

Proposal 3752
That was scammy of us
Pol Pot
Due: Fri Nov 27 01:59:43 1998

in rule 506 (Trinkets), replace 
", and a player points this fact out publicly, it is a forgery"
with
"it is a forgery as soon as it is publically knowable"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 01:59:33 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3753

Proposal 3753
Winning Conditions Fix-Up
/dev/joe
Due: Fri Nov 27 02:00:02 1998

Amend Rule 600, 'Winning Conditions', by replacing its text with the
following WIN-delimited text:

WIN
A player may only achieve a Winning Condition as described in the
Rules. If any Rule besides this one, Rule 601, Rule 603, Rule 620, and
Rule 666, refers to a player winning a Cycle, this shall be considered
to be achieving a Winning Condition, and will not result in an actual
Cycle win except as described by this Rule. A player cannot achieve a
Winning Condition while e holds the Chartreuse Goose.

Winning Conditions are nontradeable entities.  Winning Conditions may only
be created, destroyed, or manipulated as described by the rules.  Winning
Conditions have a state attribute, which can be either Unclaimed, Claimed,
or Finalized.  Winning Conditions also have a creator attribute.

When a player achieves a Winning Condition, a Winning Condition is created
in his possession in the Unclaimed state, with its creator attribute set
to the rule number of the rule which caused the Winning Condition to
be achieved.  This is the only way Winning Conditions can be created; this
sentence takes precedence over all other rules.  For the purpose of setting
creator attributes of Winning Conditions, this rule is never the rule which
caused a Winning Condition to achieved; if this rule causes another rule's
text to be interpreted as causing a player to achieve a Winning Condition,
then that other rule is considered to be the rule which caused the Winning
Condition to be achieved.  No player may ever own more than one Winning
Condition with the same creator attribute; if the creation of a Winning
Condition would violate this, it fails to be created; if it is created
anyway, then it is immediately destroyed.

If a player believes emself to have achieved a Winning Condition, then
e should submit a Cycle-Win CFJ.  A Cycle-Win CFJ is a CFJ whose statement
alleges that the submitter has an Unclaimed Winning Condition, and which
also specifies the creator attribute of this Winning Condition (specifying
"XXX has an Unclaimed Winning Condition by Rule NNN", where XXX is replaced
by the submitter's name, and NNN is replaced by a rule number, is sufficient
to make a CFJ be a Cycle-Win CFJ).  The reasoning of the CFJ should describe
how the player thinks e has achieved a Winning Condition.

Immediately after a player submits a Cycle-Win CFJ, any Winning Condition
e owns with the creator attribute specified in its statement changes to the
Claimed state, and attaches itself to that Cycle-Win CFJ.  When a TRUE
verdict on a Cycle-Win CFJ becomes final, any Winning Condition the player
who submitted it owns which is attached to that CFJ changes to the Finalized
state.  Whenever a Cycle-Win CFJ has any other final verdict, any Winning
Condition attached to it is destroyed.  Whenever a Cycle-Win CFJ is
retracted, any Winning Condition attached to it changes to the Unclaimed
state and detaches from the CFJ.

When a Winning Condition changes to the Finalized state, if its owner is
a voting player at that time, e wins the cycle, and the Winning Condition
is destroyed.  The player may win the cycle even if e holds the Chartreuse
Goose, as long as e did not do so when the Winning Condition was achieved.

A Cycle-Win CFJ shall be judged INVALID if it claims a Winning Condition
established by Rule 603, and the Scorekeeper has judged its author to have
achieved a Winning Condition within the last three days, and no-one has yet
objected to the Scorekeeper's announcement.

This rule takes precedence over all rules which mention winning a
cycle or Winning Conditions, wherever there is a conflict.

Only Cycle-Win CFJs and Paradox Win CFJs are Winning Condition CFJs.
WIN

Amend Rule 607, Winning by Agenda, by changing
  "Additionally, any player who had owned a Nemesis Eggplant that was
   destroyed as above has eir score reset to -40 rather than 0 when
   scores are reset at the start of the next cycle. [See Rule 666]"
to:
  "At the end of a cycle won by this method, any player who had owned
   a Nemesis Eggplant that was destroyed as above when the Winning
   Condition that led to the win of that cycle was achieved
   has eir score set to -40. [See Rule 666]"

Amend Rule 611, Le Grand Fromage, by changing 
  "If ever a voting player owns one of each type of cheese then e will
   achieve a Winning Condition."
to
  "Whenever a voting player owns one of each type of cheese, and has not
   achieved a Winning Condition this way since the last time all cheeses
   were destroyed by this rule at the end of a cycle, e achieves a
   Winning Condition."

Amend Rule 615, Win By World Domination, by changing
  'If a single Player (A) is Overlord of more than 60% of all Active
   Players, then Player (A) achieves a Winning Condition, provided that
   Player (A) did not win the previous Cycle by achieving a Winning
   Condition under the provisions of this rule.'
to
  'If a single Player (A) is Overlord of more than 60% of all Active
   Players, then Player (A) achieves a Winning Condition, provided that
   Player (A) did not win the previous Cycle by achieving a Winning
   Condition under the provisions of this rule, and has not achieved a
   Winning Condition by this rule since the last time all Thrall
   Attributes were set to "" at the end of a cycle by this rule.'

Amend Rule 620, "Chartreuse Goose", as follows:
In condition 1 upon which the goose is transferred, add to the end of the
last sentence:
   "unless the verdict was the result of an appeal of a CFJ by a player
    other than its submitter"

In condition 7, change:
  "this transfer is deemed to have occurred an infinitesimal
   amount of time after that event."
to
  "this transfer is deemed to have occurred an infinitesimal
   amount of time after the winning condition would have been
   established."

Create a new rule numbered 599.9, entitled "ZZimsy Wins", with the
following TRANSITION-delimited text:

TRANSITION
This rule takes precedence over rule 600.
{{For each time a winning condition has been achieved since the beginning
of cycle 24, but at most one per rule that awards winning conditions per
player, a Winning Condition is created in that player's possession in the
Unclaimed state with creator attribute 599.9.}}

{{For each cycle a player has won since (and including) cycle 24, a Winning
Condition in that player's possession is destroyed.

{{For each CFJ which has not yet reached a final verdict nor been retracted,
and which was a Cycle-Win CFJ prior to the acceptance of the proposal which
created this rule, the statement is changed to 'NNN has an Unclaimed Winning
Condition by Rule 599.9,' where NNN is replaced by the name of the player
who submitted that CFJ.  [Rather than trying to guess which rule to assign
each one to, assign all the old ones to this rule, so they can be judged in
the old method.] }}

{{For each CFJ which became a Cycle-Win CFJ by the application of the
paragraph which originally preceded this one in this rule, in the order
in which they were originally submitted, beginning with the oldest one,
if its submitter owns one or more Winning Conditions in the Unclaimed
state with creator attribute 599.9, one of these changes to the Claimed
state and is attached to this CFJ.}}

Winning Conditions with creator attribute 599.9 are not destroyed by
Rule 600 due to a player owning more than one of them.

Whenever no Winning Conditions with creator attribute 599.9 exist, this
rule repeals itself.
TRANSITION

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 03:16:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3754

Proposal 3754
Anti-Museum Win
Slakko
Due: Fri Nov 27 03:16:55 1998

This is a Modest Proposal.

[Note the hyphen in the title, and exactly where it goes.]

Create a new Rule, numbered 619, entitled "Win By Horrendous Debt", with
the following sentence as its text:

If a player has not previously achieved a Winning Condition by the
application of this Rule, and currently that player owes more than A$5000
(i.e. has an A$ balance of -5000 or less), then that player achieves a
Winning Condition.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:14:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3755

Proposal 3755
Org Recovery, part n
ThinMan
Due: Fri Nov 27 12:14:52 1998

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1003 (Organizations) by changing "H Similarity" to "L Similarity"
in section 6.

{{ [
L Similarity should have been used from the beginning.  If it had been, then
the original proposal would have had many fewer side effects.  As the rule
now stands, it is impossible for a player who is already a member of at least
one organization to form a VSO.  Since we are all likely to soon be caste
members again, this is a significant problem.  The problem extends beyond
VSO's, too, and P3739 will not fully fix it.
] }}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:14:34 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3756

Proposal 3756
Who's got the fish?
ThinMan
Due: Fri Nov 27 12:15:02 1998

This is a modest proposal.

{{ If the Trinket Alice in Wonderland exists, then it is transferred to
the Treasury.  Otherwise, A$17 is tranferred from the entity which
destroyed Alice in Wonderland to the Treasury. }}

{{ [
Pol Pot's paradox win failed, but the game state remains unclear about
just who has that pesky trinket.  This clears it up.  Yes, there are
several ways in which the purpose of this proposal could be foiled; I
could not come up with a good way to account for all the possibilities.
So just don't.

If this proposal passes then I promise to give Pol Pot A$17 in compensation,
if he should ask for it.
] }}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:14:44 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3757

Proposal 3757
Where did this go?
ThinMan
Due: Fri Nov 27 12:15:13 1998

This is a modest proposal.

{{ [
We used to have some text in the Organizations rule which nixed empty
orgs.  It got lost somewhere, so here is a replacement.  This will also
take out any existing orgs that are still empty when this is adopted.
(If it is adopted.)

This rule will not clobber Trust Funds, because the Trust Fund rule
claims precedence.
] }}

Amend rule 1003 (Organizations) by appending the following
THEREMUSTBEATLEASTONE-delimited text to the end of section 2:

THEREMUSTBEATLEASTONE

Whenever an organization ceases to have any members it is disbanded, unless
the existence or constitution of that particular organization is stipulated
by the rules.

{{ 
   The Fat Lady counts as a player for the purposes of whether she may be
   a member of an organization.

   The Fat Lady, always looking for something new and different, joins
   every existing organization.  She can be a real bully when it suits
   her, so this happens automatically, notwithstanding any conflicting
   provision of this or any other rule.

   Unfortunately (for her) the Fat Lady does not find contentment in any
   of our Organizations.  She leaves every organization of which she is
   a member.
}}

THEREMUSTBEATLEASTONE

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:20:16 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3758

Proposal 3758
An excellent suggestion by my girlfriend
Vynd
Due: Fri Nov 27 13:20:45 1998

Replace all occurances of the word Ackanomic in the ruleset with
Ackalackadocious.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:20:27 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3759

Proposal 3759
Creme d'Impeachmant
Vynd
Due: Fri Nov 27 13:20:56 1998

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[As the impeachment rule stands a successful IP is practically
impossible. It seems to me that the rule as it stands is designed to
prevent an unduly small number of players from being able to remove
someone from office, but I think its requirements can easily be relaxed
without increasing the risk of trivial or spiteful impeachments. This
proposal will simply change the word BOTH to any.]}}

In Rule 404 Offices, Impeachments, replace section (iv) with the following
EASIER delimited text:

EASIER

(iv) At the expiration of the voting period, there will be a resolution of
ACCEPTED or REJECTED for the IP. An IP is REJECTED unless it meets one or
more of the conditions below, in which case it is ACCEPTED: a) at least
1/2 of all active players, excluding the Officer named in the IP, voted
YES. b) At least 2/3 of all players who voted on the IP voted YES.

EASIER

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:20:37 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3760

Proposal 3760
Reset Button
Vynd
Due: Fri Nov 27 13:21:06 1998

This is a Modest Proposal

Amend Rule 207.1 That's Just Silly by replacing all occurances of
"contains monosodium glutamate" with "cows eat grass".

{{Vynd loses 3 points, The Green Ripper gains 3 points [For coming up with
a phrase that was just too darn silly]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:20:47 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3761

Proposal 3761
Scam Day
Vynd
Due: Fri Nov 27 13:21:17 1998

Create a new Rule entitled Scam Day, with the following FLONK delimited
text:

FLONK

The 13th of November is Scam Day, an official holiday of Ackanomic.
On this day, players are encouraged to reflect upon the place of scams in
Ackanomic society. A large beach party shall be held at noon, at which
there will be much loophole surfing. 

On Scam Day, it is the duty of the Poet Laureate (or the Speaker, if
there is no Poet) to recite the following poem (post it to the public
forum):

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"
[Artist: William Butler Yeats; The Second Coming]

FLONK

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:49:30 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3762

Proposal 3762
Nip it in the bud
ThinMan
Due: Fri Nov 27 16:50:00 1998

{{ [
Just what would happen if we had a Revolution now, with no valid choice
available for a proto-Government?  I don't want to find out.
] }}

Amend rule 320 (Governments Rule Suite) by replacing the following
BARNEY-delimited text:

BARNEY
If ever over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness characteristic
of "on" and any player points this out publicly then a Revolution shall
begin.
BARNEY

with the following ANDY-delimited text:

ANDY
If ever (a) more than 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness
characteristic of "on", (b) no Revolution is in progress, and (c) at
least one Government Type other than the current one and Anarchy exists,
and any player points this out publicly, then a Revolution shall begin.
ANDY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:13:24 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3763

Proposal 3763
Proxies!
Wild Card
Due: Fri Nov 27 18:13:55 1998

 Amend Rule 106 by inserting the following FOO-delimited text between the
first and second paragraphs.

FOO
 If at the time at which a player sends their votes to the Tabulator they
are a proxer then the same votes that they cast are deemed to also have
been cast by any proxees to whom they are proxer.

 Whilst a player is a proxee any votes that they send to the Tabulator
should be ignored.
FOO

 Create a new rule with a number that is the least integer that is greater
than all other rule numbers, with title "Proxy Voting" and the following
BAR-delimited text:

BAR
 A pair of players may create a proxying agreement whereby one of them
(the proxer) will cast votes for the other (the proxee) by the proxee
offering this arrangement as a public action and the proxer accepting it
as a public action.

 A player may not become agree to a proxying agreement as a proxer if they
are already proxer to two or more other proxees.

 Under the following conditions proxying agreements will cease to exist:

 Either the proxee or the proxer cease to be voting.

 The proxer becomes a proxee.

 The proxee becomes a proxee with a different proxer.

 This rule is repealed.

 Either the proxer or the proxee say that they are ceasing the agreement
as an action.
BAR

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #198
*********************************