Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #174
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Wednesday, October 21 1998     Volume 03 : Number 174

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:07:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3685

Proposal 3685
The end of Swingpoints
JT
Due: Tue Oct 27 23:07:39 1998

This is a Modest proposal.

{{
If Proposal 3676 is accepted then the following effects occur in
order:
JT loses 5 points.
Slakko gains 2 points.
Every player gains points equal to 1/2 (rounded down) the number of
Swingpoints that player owns.
All Swingpoints are destroyed.
}}
{{[
I believe that this will be a null proposal if 3676 is rejected and
this is accepted (as should be).   If this is accepted and 3676 is also
accepted then I forfeit the points for making this fix and give Slakko 2
for having noticed my error.
]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 03:01:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3686

Proposal 3686
Re-Leveling the Playing field
JT
Due: Wed Oct 28 02:01:29 1998

{{[
   It occured to me when speaking with a few others on IRC this afternoon
   that it is a bit unfair for only swingers to be able to buy bonus votes
   and otzma cards (because truthfully, they are the only folks who would
   gain enough swing points to be able to do so.
   So I had this radical idea, get rid (well sorta) of swingpoints.
   Reward the players of Party Chess with the gain of a small amount of
   points (1 real point for 2 current swing points), and allow anyone to
   trade some points for either OCs or Bonus Votes (and raise the price
   of bonus votes quite a bit.. they are more powerful than OCs and should
   cost more.
   This version is different in that it remembers to destroy the
   Swingpoints.
]}}

{{Slakko gains 2 points.}}

Repeal rule 1044.
Create rule 1044 named 'The Benefits of Swinging' with the following text
as delimited by BENEFITS
BENEFITS
1. Let NoS be the the number of Swingers, excluding vacationing Swingers,
including Acting Swingers.

2. a. Every two weeks on Monday the Chess-Umpire announces how many points
      each swinger is to recieve.  Each Swinger receives a number of points
      equal to the number of Swingers (excluding Swingers on Vacation, but
      including Acting Swingers) with equal or lower Weights divided by two
      and rounded down.

   b.  If the application of Section 2a results in a non-zero amount points
       being awarded to at least one Party Swinger on a particular Monday,
       then all other members of the Party of the Party Swinger who received
       more points than any other Party Swinger (or the only Party Swinger who
       received a non-zero amount of points, if only one received any) each
       receive one point for eir support immediately after Swinger points are
       awarded.
BENEFITS

Create a rule 1045 titled 'Alternative uses for points' with the following
text as delimited by SPENDAGE
SPENDAGE
Any player may perform the following conversions as a public action.
When the conversion is performed, the player performing the conversion
loses the number of points named and unless otherwise specified (see c. (i))
gains the object created by the conversion.

a. Otzma Card Conversion
   (i)   A Player may convert 10 points into any Otzma Card with an
         F-Designation of Common.
   (ii)  A Player may convert 15 points into any Otzma Card with an
         F-Designation of Normal.
   (iii) A Player may convert 20 points into any Otzma Card with an
         F-Designation of Rare.
b. Bonus Vote Conversion
   (i)   A Player may convert 30 points into a Bonus vote.
c. Chess Piece conversion
   (i)   A Player may conver N points into a Party Chess Piece in the
         possession of a specified Swinger provided that the material
         value of that Party Chess Piece is no more than (5*N)/7, 
         provided that no instance limits are violated by the conversion,
         and provided that the specified Swinger has owns at most 15 Party
         Chess Pieces after the conversion.
d. Benefyt conversion
   (i) A Player may convert 10 points into a Benefyt.  Benefyts are
       tradeable entities.
SPENDAGE

In rule 1230.40 (Wining a Hand), replace the words 'The ChessChamp
additionally receives 10 Swingpoints' with 'The ChessChamp recieves 1 point
for every Swinger in the game including themself'

In rule 1250.1 (Games & Contests), Section XIII (Additional Game Rewards)
replace the current text of that section with the following REWARDS
delimited text.
REWARDS
a. A Referee for a game may, at most once in any calendar week regardless
of how many games they are currently refereeing, specify a player of a game
which they are refereeing to receive a FairPlay Award. FairPlay Awards are
nontradeable entities.  Whenever a player is awarded a FairPlay Award, they
also gain 1 point.   Specifying a player to recieve a FairPlay Award is a
public action.
{{[
   This removes the duty of doing this from the ChessUmpire, and keeps the
   number of fairplay awards a player has recieved around (which I kind of
   like).
]}}
REWARDS

{{
  Every player is given points equal to 1/2 (rounded down) of the number
  of swingpoints they own.
  All swingpoints are destroyed.
}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:23:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3687

Proposal 3687
All We Are Saying, Is Give breadbox a Chance
Slakko
Due: Wed Oct 28 03:23:39 1998

This is a Modest Proposal.

[To be eligible for the Hall of Elders, you must be nominated after you
leave the game.  What if you never leave the game, but become a non-Player
through inaction - should that necessarily disqualify you from the Hall?
I don't think so - not if your other works have justified you.]

Amend Sections 2 and 3 of Rule 843 to read as delimited by ICICLE below:

ICICLE
2) If a Player is On Ice, their likeness (hereafter, where appropriate,
referred to as if it were the actual player) is eligible to be
enshrined in the Hall of Elders. They shall be a candidate for such an
honor if someone nominates them (via a public message) for such provided
they have not been On Ice for all of the last 14 days.  A player may only
be nominated once at any one time.

3) If a player has been nominated according to the previous section,
their confirmation period starts at the time of their nomination and ends
3 days after their nomination. During the confirmation period, players may
send messages to the public forum supporting the nominee (maximum one such
message per player). The nominee shall receive one confirmation point for
each such message posted in accordance with the rules. They shall
also receive one point for each cycle (or game) they won while a player,
up to a maximum of 5 points from this source. 
ICICLE

Amend Section 5 of Rule 843 to read as delimited by BRASS below:

BRASS
5) If the On Ice player becomes Active during either the
nomination period or the confirmation period, they are no longer
considered a nominee. This section takes precedence over all the preceding
ones. 
BRASS

Amend Section 8 of Rule 843 to read as delimited by MONKEY below:

MONKEY
8) If the player in question becomes Active at least 30
days after being enshrined, they may use the title Elder, and shall have
the powers and benefits explicitly specified by other rules for Elders. 
MONKEY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:35:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: A Small test

At least one player who is subscribed to the voting digest reported to me
that they weren't recieving digest mails.  Yesterday evening I subscribed
myself to the digest to see.  I have yet to see any mail from
acka-voting-digest show up here in my mailbox.  I'm sending this message
because sometimes majordomo doesn't send out digests until the next email
after the end of the digest period has been reached, so I want to try and
tickle it.  If this doesn't work, I will try and contact the folks at
Speakeasy cafe and see if one of them can fix the digest version of that
mailing list.  If that fails, I will recommend that all players join the
standard acka-voting list for the time being.

I'm still hoping that breadbox will return before November 1st.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #174
*********************************