Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #166
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Monday, September 28 1998     Volume 03 : Number 166

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3627

Proposal 3627
Pragmatic Precedence
saaremaa (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[it seems that the pragmatism clause does not have the necessary
precedence to work in all cases.  In particular, it will never 
override the handling of cheeses in rule 611, and may or may not fail
in other cases.  This proposal proposes to fold it in with the 
retroactively clause, and give both the necessary precedence by moving
them into rule 101.  This also addresses the concern that rule 103 could
be overridden by things other than the pragmatism clause.  Now it 
cannot be without being blatantly obvious.]}}

- --------------

{{[fold rule 103 and the pragmatism clause into rule 101]}}

Amend rule 101, "The Game of Ackanomic", to add this as a new paragraph 
directly after the third paragraph:

"
No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time before
the generation of the effect, except when the illegality or impossibility of
a publically knowable change to the game state goes unreported for at least
14 days, in which case the change is deemed to have occurred retroactively to
the time of the attempt.  The preceding does not apply to the case of events 
which occur automatically, but whose occurrence is not (or erroneously) 
reported.
"

- ------------------

Repeal rule 103, "Retroactive Effects"

- ------------------

{{[keep what caused the error a crime, but remove the pragmatism clause 
and the precedence claim over rule 103 from rule 701]}}

Amend rule 701, "Crime", to replace the third paragraph with this:

"
The Crime of Time Surfing occurs when a player's (otherwise illegal)
action (or inaction) leads to retroactively changing the game state
as if the action (or inaction) occurred [via the pragmatism clause in
rule 101].
"

{{[eop]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:25:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3628

Proposal 3628
Bow to their Might
Anathema (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

Amend Rule 1030 by replacing the following CALCIUM-delimited text 

CALCIUM
The Worker Caste, the Warrior Caste and the Religious Caste are Unique
Organizations. There are no other Castes. 

When a player ceases to be a Newbie, e becomes a member of one of these
Castes by random determination. The chances to join a Caste are equal to the
number of members in the other two castes divided by twice the number of
members in all three Castes.[This adds up to one.] 

No player may leave eir Caste. However, it is possible that two or three
players agree to swap Caste membership, provided that the players swapping
membership have all been in the Player State of Voting for at least 3
weeks, and none of them swapped Caste membership within the last 3 weeks. 
CALCIUM

with the following SCANDIUM-delimited text, 

SCANDIUM
The Worker Caste, the Warrior Caste, the Religious Caste, and the Ruling
Caste are Unique Organizations. There are no other Castes. 

When a player ceases to be a Newbie, e becomes a member of one of the
Worker Caste, the Warrior Caste, or the Religious Caste by random
determination. The chances to join a Caste are equal to the
number of members in the other two castes divided by twice the number of
members in all three Castes.[This adds up to one.]   The Ruling Caste
should be ignored in this random determination.

No player may change eir Caste, except as defined within the rules.
A member of the Ruling Caste can change into the Caste with the least
number of members, provided that eir Caste has not changed in the last 3
weeks.
Any former member of the Ruling Caste can rejoin it, if eir Caste has not
changed in the last 3 weeks.
A group of two or three players may agree to swap Caste membership,
provided that the players swapping
membership have all been in the Player State of Voting for at least 3
weeks, and none of them swapped Caste membership within the last 3 weeks. 
SCANDIUM

amend Rule 1031 by replacing the following TITANIUM-delimited text 

TITANIUM
The Grey Council is an Office with up to nine seats. It is also a Unique
Organization. 

Each Caste (Worker, Warrior, Religious) has the right to fill 3 seats in
the Grey Council. 

The rules for nomination, election and impeachment apply with the
restriction that only a member of a Caste may 

a) nominate emself for a seat that this Caste has the right to fill, 

b) vote in the election for seats that this Caste has the right to fill, 

c) vote on the impeachment of a Grey Council member of this Caste. In this
case, the procedure followed for impeachment is the same as that outlined
in Rule
404, except that the IP will be ACCEPTED if at least 1/2 of the members of
the Caste voted on it, and 2/3 of those voting on the IP voted YES. 

When a member of the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir seat
immediately becomes vacant. When a player who has nominated emself for a
seat in
the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir nomination is considered to
be withdrawn. 
TITANIUM

with the following VANADIUM-delimited text, 

VANADIUM
The Grey Council is an Office with up to ten seats. It is also a Unique
Organization. 

Each of the three lay Castes (Worker, Warrior, Religious) has the right to
fill 3 seats in the Grey Council. 

The Ruling Caste has the right to fill 1 seat in the Grey Council.

The rules for nomination, election and impeachment apply with the
restriction that only a member of a Caste may 

a) nominate emself for a seat that this Caste has the right to fill, 

b) vote in the election for seats that this Caste has the right to fill, 

c) vote on the impeachment of a Grey Council member of this Caste. In this
case, the procedure followed for impeachment is the same as that outlined
in Rule
404, except that the IP will be ACCEPTED if at least 1/2 of the members of
the Caste voted on it, and 2/3 of those voting on the IP voted YES. 

When a member of the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir seat
immediately becomes vacant. When a player who has nominated emself for a
seat in
the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir nomination is considered to
be withdrawn. 

The member of the Ruling Caste on the Grey Council is the nominal head of
the Grey Council, and only votes in the case of a tie.
VANADIUM

and amend Rule 441(Dungeon Master) by relacing the following
CHROMIUM-delimited text 

CHROMIUM
whose privileges are: 

(i) to change eir Caste as a public action. 
CHROMIUM

with the following MANGANESE-delimited text.

MANGANESE
whose privileges are: 

(i) to change eir Caste to a Caste other than the Ruling Caste as a public
action. 
MANGANESE

{{All Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired) and K2 have eir Caste changed
to Ruling for an infintessimal amount of time, and then eir Castes are
changed back to what they were before.  This does not remove em from eir
Grey Council seats, if they would be otherwise removed.  This is not
considered a change in Caste for purposes of determining whether it has
been three weeks since a player has changed eir Caste.}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:27:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3629

Proposal 3629
Governments changes
Anathema (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

{{[Rebellion now dependent on *voting* players, not just players,
Characteristic inconsistency fixed, spelling error fixed]}}

Amend Rule 320 (Governments Rules Suite) by replacing the following
IRON-delimited text

IRON
All players have a rebeliousness characteristic which may either be "on" or
"off" (the default value is off). A player may freely change the value of this
characteristic by publicly stating that they are doing so, and what they
are changing it too. 

If ever over 50% of all player have a rebeliousnees characteristic of "on"
and any player points this out publicly then a Revolution shall begin.
During a Revolution
the folloing events will happen: 
IRON

with the following COBALT-delimited text

COBALT
All players have a rebelliousness characteristic which may either be "on"
or "off" (the default value is off). A player may freely change the value
of this
characteristic by publicly stating that they are doing so, and what they
are changing it too.  For the purposes of this rule, "on" and "off" are
numerically representable by 1 and 0 respectively {{[this is necessary
because characteristics are explicitly defined as numbers by Rule 540]}}

If ever over 50% of all voting players have a rebelliousness characteristic
of "on" and any player points this out publicly then a Revolution shall
begin. During a Revolution
the following events will happen: 
COBALT

{{replace all instances of the string "rebeliousness" in the rules with the
word "rebelliousness"}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 10:28:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3630

Proposal 3630
Puzzle Pieces Ahoy!
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

[We have them defined, but not used.  The lack of a Puzzler is why.]

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{Slakko receives the title of Puzzler.}}

Append to the end of Rule 1270 the following sentence:

If there is no player with the title of Puzzler, then any player may, as a
public action, assume the title of Puzzler.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #166
*********************************