Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #157
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Monday, September 14 1998     Volume 03 : Number 157

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3602

Proposal 3602
Eliminate Hubert wherever we can
saaremaa (Randy Hall)

{{[

(no offense if there is a player still named Hubert, BTW :-))

It appears that I Huberted Vynd out of being part of a full
Cortex.  After considering the specific situation at great length
at the request of a particular player, a general problem was apparent,
at least to me -- that problem being that the current cortex system
can lead to a general Hubert situation when a justice resigns, with 
the cost of being Huberted meaning you may have to wait months to
hear CFJ appeals.  This doesn't seem fair to Vynd, me, or anyone else
who has earned the right to be a justice and would enjoy performing
the duties.  We are here to have fun, after all.  (This won't occur
all the time, and sometimes the "other" Justice being resigned on 
can be "Huberted" in a backwards sense, but the fact that it occurred
this time is proof by existence).

My solution is to replace the static Cortex system with Cortices 
generated on the fly for each appeal.  While the system is slightly
more tracking for the CotC, I believe eliminating Hubert where we can 
in this game is is a worthy goal. (I also think it will be fun to
mix and match who you work with over time, but even if there is
contention on this effect, it doesn't seem fair to a particular 
individual to exclude them completely in order to support the current
system).

(Another thing accomplished by this proposal is to bring the cortex stuff
in with the CFJ stuff, where it belongs, rather than have it spread out
in both the 200s and 400s)

]}}

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[convert from static to dynamic Cortices]}}

Create a new rule with number 101.99, title "Cortex Conversion",
and text:

"
This rule has precedence over all rules except itself.

For all CFJs under appeal, a Cortex Converter is created composed
of the particular Justices hearing the particular CFJ appeal;
this creation is created with respect to the particular CFJ appeal
in all cases.  Cortex Converters are not entities; they are 
groupings of justices with respect to particular CFJs.

Upon it becoming the case that all CFJs under appeal have Cortex
Converters associated with them, all Supreme Cortices are destroyed.

[this rule will be repealed shortly, but it cannot self-delete]
"
 
- -----

Amend rule 416.1, "The Supreme Cortex", to read:

"
I. Definitions

A Supreme Cortex (hereafter Cortex, plural Cortices) is a grouping of
one or more Justices with respect to (or considering) a particular CFJ.
It is not an entity.

For the purposes of this rule, "Justice" means any active player who
is a Justice or Acting Justice (or both).

II. Forming a Cortex

Whenever the Rules call for the Supreme Court to consider a CFJ for 
the first time, the Clerk of the Courts (CotC) shall select a group of
Justices to be the Supreme Cortex for that CFJ as follows:

a) If there are no Justices, the CFJ is assigned to a new Judge as 
described in rule 212 as if the previous Judge or Cortex had declined 
it, and no Cortex is actually formed.

b) If there exists exactly one Justice, the Cortex is composed of 
that Justice.

c) Otherwise, the Justice who is in the fewest number of Cortices (but
not in the Cortex being formed), is selected to be in this Cortex.  If 
there is a tie, it is broken randomly by the CotC.  This step is repeated
until the Cortex is composed of two Justices.  For the purposes of this
subsection, Justices who have previously been grouped in a Cortex considering
the particular CFJ in question are considered to be in a number of Cortices
one greater than the number of outstanding CFJs, with respect to that CFJ.

III.  Dissolving a Cortex

a) A Cortex is dissolved upon it being publically knowable that it 
delivered a verdict, declined a CFJ, or its only Justice resigned or 
left it.

b) When a Cortex that has not delivered a verdict is dissolved, another
Cortex is formed to consider it's CFJ as per section II of this rule.

IV.  Leaving a Cortex

A Justice grouped in a Cortex may leave it as a public action.  This 
action fails if the Cortex e is leaving is not clearly specified.  In 
addition, when a member of a Cortex is no longer a Justice, e is deemed
to have left all Cortices that e is is grouped in.

When a Justice leaves a Cortex, an acting Justice is selected to act
in his stead as if the leaving Justice had gone on Vacation, unless the
leaving Justice is the only member of that Cortex. [This is how a 
particular Justice declines to hear a particular appeal].

{{
V.  Conversion

All extant Cortex Converters are converted to Cortices, with Justice
composition unchanged, and the CFJ they exist that they exist with
respect to unchanged.

Rule 101.99, "Cortex Conversion", is repealed.
}}
"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[merge and put where it belongs, with the other appeal stuff]}}

Repeal rule 217.1, "Selecting a Cortex"
Renumber rule 416.1, "The Supreme Cortex", to 217.1

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[cleanups]}}

I. Amend rule 217, "Overturning Judgements", as follows:

a) in section II, replace "owners of the Supreme Cortex" with  
"members of the Supreme Cortex".

b) amend section V to read (some has been moved to 217.1): 

"
Supreme Cortices should make every effort to return their verdicts within a
reasonable amount of time.  A Supreme Cortex may decline its CFJ; this
action  is accomplished and occurs upon all members of that Cortex 
publically identifying the CFJ and stating that they wish to decline. 

In addition, if a particular Cortex has existed for more than 30 days, 
that Cortex shall automatically decline its CFJ upon this fact being 
pointed out publically by any active player. 
"

- -----

II. Amend rule 416, "Supreme Court" to replace the word "owner" with 
"member" everywhere it appears in section IV; then replace the word
"owners" with "members" everywhere it appears in that section; then
replace the article "an" with the article "a" everywhere it directly
precedes the word "member" in that section.

- -----

III.  Amend rule 417, "Justices Rock", to replace the last paragraph
with this: "{{[this is the paragraph detailing justices declining
particular cfjs, usually because of conflict of interest.  it has
been absorbed into the new Cortex rule where it belongs]}}".

{{[eop]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:07:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3603

Proposal 3603
Well that'll only solve half the problem
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

I. Amend rule 250 (Players and Player States) by replacing the existing
text which includes and occurs below the phrase "VI. Upon Becoming (and
while) On Ice:" with the following text:
"
VI. Upon Becoming (and while) On Ice:

a) They are removed from any offices they hold.

b) Section IV is applied as if they became Non-Voting.

c) All their existing votes on proposals, elections, and hearings whose
results have not yet been released are cancelled.

d) Their score is set to 0. Players who are On Ice never gain or lose
points, nor do they ever gain entities.

e) They are removed from all organizations of which they are a member.

f) If the Player never voted, their state is changed to Non-Player.

g) All of their mimsy entities are transferred to the treasury.

h) Upon being On-Ice for 90 days, their state is changed to Non-Player,
unless they (or their likeness) is enshrined in the Hall of
Elders, in which case they will never become a Non-Player.

VII. Upon Becoming a Non-Player:

a) E is removed from the CFJ Ineligibility List if possible.

b) All of eir tradeable entities are transferred to the treasury except
for land which becomes unowned and buildings which . All of eir
nontradeable entities are destroyed.

This rule has precedence over all other rules.
"

II. [Repair the damage]
a. {{ All entities which were destroyed as a result of Rule 250, Section
VI, Subsection b, while it read:
"
All of eir tradeable entities are transferred to the treasury. All of
eir nontradeable, nonunique entities are destroyed. Of all eir remaining
entities, if it would be possible by some means not defined in this rule
for a given entity to go Somewhere Else, it does so; otherwise, it is
transferred to a random active player.
"
shall be un-destroyed (ie created with the same properties, creator,
creation date etc. as they had before they were destroyed) and resorted
eir former owners. Similarly those entities which were transferred as a
result of  the application of the quoted section shall be returned to
the players who owned em prior to the application of that section.}}

b. {{ The trinket Little Bag O' Chips A is transferred from mr cwm to K
2 [Wadaya mean I should read the rules before playing an otzma card]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:24:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3604

Proposal 3604
Ackanomic Unity
Wild Card (Jonathan David Amery)

 Should it ever occur that every player eligable to do so should vote YES
on the same proposal then the following shall happen:

 1) The day of Ackanomic Unity shall be declared to be that day upon which
the result in which this event occurs.  Should the day of Ackanomic Unity
already have a date then it is moved to this day.

 2) All players participating in the vote gain one randomly determined
Boon of the Ancients and each Unity Vote cast causes the party casting it
to gain one randomly determined gadget, which it may dispose of as it=91s
members will.  All Bonus Votes are returned to the player(s) casting them.

 3) The player who proposed the proposal shall gain a Blue Cross Bonus if
they do not already have one.

 The day of Ackanomic Unity is an Ackanomic Holiday.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #157
*********************************