Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #144
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Monday, August 31 1998       Volume 03 : Number 144

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:54:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3512

Proposal 3512
My points are coming
Weishaupt (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend rule 207 ("Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported") by
replacing the following HYDROGEN-delimited text

HYDROGEN
V. Newbie Author Bonus/Soft Penalty 

Newbies shall receive a bonus equivalent to the points which would be
gained by anti-voting[one point for Modest proposals, five points for
Grandiose proposals,
three points otherwise] whenever one of their non-Modest proposals is
accepted or any one of their proposals is rejected. 
HYDROGEN

with the following HELIUM-delimited text

HELIUM
V. Newbie Author Bonus/Soft Penalty 

Newbies shall receive a bonus equivalent to one point for Modest proposals,
five points for Grandiose proposals, three points otherwise whenever one of
their proposals is accepted or rejected. 
HELIUM

{{This effect applies retroactively to this proposal, taking precedence
over rules 103 (retroactive effects),104, and 205. [I want points (or at
least one) for this]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:55:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3513

Proposal 3513
Flotsam and Jetsam
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 330 by replacing "unless the CFJ was a paradox win CFJ" with
"unless the CFJ was a paradox win CFJ or a cycle win CFJ", and by
replacing the following THREE-delimited text:

THREE
a) Impeachment Papers 
b) Common Sense Reports 
c) New Games and Contest submissions as described by Rule 1250.1 
THREE

with the FOUR-delimited text below:

FOUR
a) Impeachment Papers 
b) Common Sense Reports 
c) New Games and Contest submissions as described by Rule 1250.1 
d) Discoveries (retracted Discoveries are Debunked).
FOUR

[1. Why should Cycle Winners who have their plans go sour be allowed to
get off scot free, while Paradox attempters don't?
2. There is currently no way to retract your own Gadget creation.]

Append to Rule 755, "Enthrallments", the following RET-delimited text:

RET
When a Proposal which is part of a Potential Enthrallment is retracted,
that Potential Enthrallment is destroyed.
RET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:56:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3514

Proposal 3514
A Necessary Construction
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Create a new Rule, numbered 752, and titled "Thrall-Related Etymology",
with the following NAME-delimited text:

NAME
If a player (A) is to "gain a Random Thrall", then one player is chosen at
random from those who do not have player (A) as their Overlord.  The
player chosen has their Thrall attribute set to the name of player (A).

If a player (B) is to "lose a Random Thrall", then one player is chosen at
random from those who have player (B) as their Overlord.  The player
chosen has their Thrall attribute set to "".  If such a choice is not
possible, as player (B) is the overlord of no players, then player (B) is
placed in Contempt.

Any random determinations required by this rule shall be performed by the
Thrallmaster.

This rule takes precedence over any conflicting clauses of any other rule
which specifies how random determinations take place.
NAME

[This construction will enable manipulation of Thralls in general to
become much easier.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:57:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3515

Proposal 3515
Screwing Around With Caste Sizes
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

Amend Rule 1030 ("Castes") by appending to it the following BEANBAG-delimited
text:

BEANBAG
In addition, if a player who is not a member of the Gray Council becomes
the Thrall of another player, and there are more than three members of
eir Caste, that player changes eir Caste to that of eir Overlord.
BEANBAG

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:58:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3516

Proposal 3516
It Makes Sense, Doesn't It?
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 1031 ("Grey Council") by replacing the following BALL-delimited
text with the following CLUB-delimited text:

BALL
When a member of the Grey Council swaps Caste membership with one or two
other players, this member's seat immediately becomes vacant.
BALL

CLUB
When a member of the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir seat
immediately becomes vacant.  When a player who has nominated emself
for a seat in the Grey Council changes Caste membership, eir
nomination is considered to be withdrawn.
CLUB

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3517

Proposal 3517
Transcontinental Compatibility
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

Append the following RING-delimited text to the end of Rule 340
("Conventions"):

RING
IX. The following pairs of words are considered to be both semantically
and lexically equivalent: "grey", "gray"; "honour", "honor"
RING

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:00:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3518

Proposal 3518

K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.
{{[Incoporating MTM and rufus' suggestions.]}}

{{Mr. Tamborine Man gains one point. rufus gains one point. K 2 loses
two points}}

Insert as a new Section after Section III of rule 1217 (Buried
Treasure!) the following text (--- delimited):
- ---
IV.

If a player believes that a particular treasure map, for a treasure
which was discovered within the previous three days, is not in keeping
with the spirit of treasure hunting e may call for a Hostile Takeover.

A Hostile Takeover is a Hearing for which the valid responses are:
"Right up there with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure" and "the accumulation of
money is a great evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett,
Witches Abroad]. The player who called it is the Hearing Harfer for it
and is called the Gold Digger while it is in session. For the purposes
of this section those entities which were buried in the treasure and any
entities created from them since the discovery of the treasure are
referred to as The Motherload.

In the event that the verdict of the Hostile Takeover is "Right up there
with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure", the Gold Digger shall transfer The
Standard Harfer Fee to the map writer.

In the event that the verdict is "the accumulation of money is a great
evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad], then
all entities in The Motherload, which the museum would accept if donated
normally, are transferred to the North Wing of the Museum with the map
writer as beneficiary. Any entities in the Motherload which were not
transferred to the Museum's North wing by the previous sentence are
transferred to the Treasury. Additionally the map writer shall pay The
Standard Harfer Fee to the Gold Digger.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:01:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3519

Proposal 3519
Fix this reference to antivoting!
Weishaupt (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend rule 927 (Chocolate Frog) by replacing the following
LITHIUM-delimited text

LITHIUM
Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will
receive no points for anti-voting. Any player who publicly insults the
First Citizen will be guilty
of the Crime of Disrespect.  
LITHIUM

with the following BERYLLIUM-delimited text

BERYLLIUM
Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will lose
1 point if the First Citizen loses any points as a result of the proposal
being rejected. Any player who publicly insults the First Citizen will be
guilty of the Crime of Disrespect.  
BERYLLIUM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:01:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3518

Proposal 3518
And While she Played a Xylophone
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.
{{[Incoporating MTM and rufus' suggestions.]}}

{{Mr. Tamborine Man gains one point. rufus gains one point. K 2 loses
two points}}

Insert as a new Section after Section III of rule 1217 (Buried
Treasure!) the following text (--- delimited):
- ---
IV.

If a player believes that a particular treasure map, for a treasure
which was discovered within the previous three days, is not in keeping
with the spirit of treasure hunting e may call for a Hostile Takeover.

A Hostile Takeover is a Hearing for which the valid responses are:
"Right up there with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure" and "the accumulation of
money is a great evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett,
Witches Abroad]. The player who called it is the Hearing Harfer for it
and is called the Gold Digger while it is in session. For the purposes
of this section those entities which were buried in the treasure and any
entities created from them since the discovery of the treasure are
referred to as The Motherload.

In the event that the verdict of the Hostile Takeover is "Right up there
with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure", the Gold Digger shall transfer The
Standard Harfer Fee to the map writer.

In the event that the verdict is "the accumulation of money is a great
evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad], then
all entities in The Motherload, which the museum would accept if donated
normally, are transferred to the North Wing of the Museum with the map
writer as beneficiary. Any entities in the Motherload which were not
transferred to the Museum's North wing by the previous sentence are
transferred to the Treasury. Additionally the map writer shall pay The
Standard Harfer Fee to the Gold Digger.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:02:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3519

Proposal 3519
Fix this reference to antivoting!
Weishaupt (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend rule 927 (Chocolate Frog) by replacing the following
LITHIUM-delimited text

LITHIUM
Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will
receive no points for anti-voting. Any player who publicly insults the
First Citizen will be guilty
of the Crime of Disrespect.  
LITHIUM

with the following BERYLLIUM-delimited text

BERYLLIUM
Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will lose
1 point if the First Citizen loses any points as a result of the proposal
being rejected. Any player who publicly insults the First Citizen will be
guilty of the Crime of Disrespect.  
BERYLLIUM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3520

Proposal 3520
Scarlet A
Weishaupt (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[a point for people with a in their name]}}
Any player with an "a" (case insensitive) in their name who posts a public
message saying that they are Wearing the Big Letter and describing the Big
Letter thus worn in at least two complete sentences gains one point, if
they have never Worn the Big Letter before.

"On the breast of her gown, in fine red cloth surrounded with an elaborate
embroidery and fantastic flourishes of gold thread, appeared the laetter
'A.'"[Nathaniel Hawthorne, end of The Scarlet Letter]

{{If Nathaniel Hawthorne is not on the Literature List, add him to it
before evaluating whether this rule is literature}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3521

Proposal 3521
Free Scott
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 330, "Retractions", by replacing "a paradox win CFJ" with "a
paradox win or cycle win CFJ".

{{[ These would be the only ones where there was a penalty for
retraction...  Currently retracting CWCFJ's is free. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:05:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3522

Proposal 3522
Oh, What A Circus
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Amend Rule 1250.3, "General Equipment", as follows:

Insert after the text "VI. Ackanomic IRC servers:" the text "a) wilma.che.utexas.edu, port 9942".
   
{{[ In this Proposal I will only include the slow games that prove to take
far too long to play through email.  Anyone else can add more with other
Proposals. ]}}

Amend Rule 1250.15, "Spades", by appending "Optionally, an Ackanomic IRC
Server" after "Gamepoints as needed".

Amend Rule 1250.23, "Eleusis", by appending "c) Optionally, an Ackanomic
IRC Server" after "b) Gamepoints as needed."

{{[ The Rule-Harfer is encouraged to indent these additions
appropriately...:-) ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3523

Proposal 3523
Backwards hour for 50 minutes each day...
Weishaupt (Gabriel Drummond-Cole)

@ 00:10 -- Names reverse, man!
&
Names reverse, man! (@ 01:00)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3524

Proposal 3524
Cleaning up Frinks
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 1390.2 with the following text as delimited by CLEANUP
CLEANUP
Royal Frinks are those defined as either Royal or Regal.

Lager, sir, is regal.
Whiskey is a Royal Frink.
Cider is a Royal Frink.
Vodka is a Royal Frink.
CLEANUP

Repeal rule 1390.3

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3521

>Proposal 3521
>Free Scott
>Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

>This is a Modest proposal.

>Amend Rule 330, "Retractions", by replacing "a paradox win CFJ" with "a
>paradox win or cycle win CFJ".

>{{[ These would be the only ones where there was a penalty for
>retraction...  Currently retracting CWCFJ's is free. ]}}

Since Slakko's already submitted a more fully-featured version of this,
I retract this Proposal.

- --
- --Alfvaen(Web page:http://www.connect.ab.ca/~alfvaen/)
Current Album--Jane Hawley:As We Walk On Thin Ice
Current Book--Piers Anthony:Unicorn Point
The covers of some books are too far apart.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:48:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposals 3518 and 3519

What a mess.

Proposals 3518 and 3519 got distributed twice, due to a "Promoter
error". In actuality, Proposal 3518 was never legally distributed at
all. The first "distribution" of 3518 didn't include the proposal's
title, so it was not valid. 3519 was legally distributed (the first
time) next, which made the second "distribution" of 3518 incorrect
since it had an invalid number.

The upshot is that the proposal incorrectly referred to as 3518 will
be distributed LEGALLY for the first time a few minutes from now, and
that there is, in fact, no such proposal as 3518. (Yes, K 2, those
Promoter errors are real.)

Sorry for all the confusion.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:49:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3525

Proposal 3525 - Mon 31 Aug 1998 09:01 EDT
And While she Played a Xylophone
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
Due: Mon 07 Sep 1998 09:01 EDT

This is a Modest Proposal.
{{[Incoporating MTM and rufus' suggestions.]}}

{{Mr. Tamborine Man gains one point. rufus gains one point. K 2 loses two
points}}

Insert as a new Section after Section III of rule 1217 (Buried Treasure!)
the following text (--- delimited):
- ---
IV.

If a player believes that a particular treasure map, for a treasure which
was discovered within the previous three days, is not in keeping with the
spirit of treasure hunting e may call for a Hostile Takeover.

A Hostile Takeover is a Hearing for which the valid responses are: "Right
up there with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure" and "the accumulation of money is a
great evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad]. The
player who called it is the Hearing Harfer for it and is called the Gold
Digger while it is in session. For the purposes of this section those
entities which were buried in the treasure and any entities created from
them since the discovery of the treasure are referred to as The Motherload.

In the event that the verdict of the Hostile Takeover is "Right up there
with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure", the Gold Digger shall transfer The Standard
Harfer Fee to the map writer.

In the event that the verdict is "the accumulation of money is a great evil
and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad], then all
entities in The Motherload, which the museum would accept if donated
normally, are transferred to the North Wing of the Museum with the map
writer as beneficiary. Any entities in the Motherload which were not
transferred to the Museum's North wing by the previous sentence are
transferred to the Treasury. Additionally the map writer shall pay The
Standard Harfer Fee to the Gold Digger.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:43:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retract

I retract Proposal 3493.
[Seeing as how it is redundant.]

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Ackanomic - Web-Harfer, CotC, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer, Senator

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #144
*********************************