Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #137
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Sunday, August 23 1998       Volume 03 : Number 137

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3476

Proposal 3476
Communism!
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[Aim of proposal: Abolish Fortnightly Dividends.
 Reason: Fortnightly Dividends currently encourage lots and lots of minor
 fix proposals.  This isn't all that necessary.  Also, with the
 introduction of the Thrall system, proposal acceptances now have a reward
 system besides that of points, and so converting points into A$ every
 fortnight is unnecessary.  Besides, at the end of the cycle each point
 becomes an A$ anyway - so this only halves the value of points in terms
 of A$ conversion.]

Amend Rule 505, "Treasury and AckaDollars", by appending the following
BASE-delimited text to Section I:

BASE
On the first Monday of every month, each player receives AckaDollars equal
to twice the Standard Harfer Fee as a subsistence payment.
BASE

Repeal Rule 508, "Fortnightly Dividends".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:27:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3477

Proposal 3477
Souls Available on Hire Purchase
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

[I think we need more than one way to obtain Thralls.  This enables cash
to purchase them, but on a sliding scale.  I estimate the amount of cash
currently required to purchase a win by Thrall would be A$81000.  Seeing
as the Treasury only has A$100000, this seems a pretty unlikely scam.]

Create a Rule, numbered 760, titled "Purchasing Thralls", with the
following BUCKS-delimited text:

BUCKS
A player may, at most once in any calendar week, make a Thrall Purchase as
a public action.  To make such a purchase, a list of players must be
specified.  If the player has sufficient A$ for the action to succeed (as
defined below), then the Thrall Attribute of each player in the list is
set to the name of the player making the Thrall Purchase, and the
specified amount of A$ is transferred to the Treasury. If the player
purchasing does not have sufficient A$, the attempt fails, and that player
may not make a Thrall Purchase in that calendar week.

The specified amount of A$ for a player who is Overlord of n Players to
make a Thrall Purchase of a list of k People is equal to
(n+1)*(k)*(k)*10 times the Standard Harfer Fee.

[Examples: Player who is overlord of no-one purchases 3 player's thrall:
 Cost is 1*3*3*10*SHF = 90*SHF (= $2250 at time of printing)
 Player who is overlord of 17 people purchases 1 player's thrall:
 Cost is (17+1)*1*1*10*SHF = 180*SHF (= $4500 at time of printing).
]
BUCKS

[While we're at it - fix the typo.]

Amend Rule 750 by replacing the text:

"If Player (C) has Thrall Attribute which is the name of Player (D), then
Player (C) may be referred to as Player (D)'s Overlord. "

with the text:

"If Player (C) has Thrall Attribute which is the name of Player (D), then
Player (D) may be referred to as Player (C)'s Overlord. "

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:28:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3478

Proposal 3478
Breaking the Vicious Circle
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Create a new Rule, numbered 765, titled "Circularity in Enthrallment",
with the following CHAIN-delimited text:

CHAIN
If there is a set of n players, labelled P1, P2, ... Pn, with n > 2, such
that Player Pi is the Overlord of Player Pi+1 for every i = 1, 2, ...,
n-1, and Player Pn is the Overlord of Player P1, then those players are in
a Thrall Cycle.

If any player in a Thrall Cycle publicly states that "The Vicious Circle
Must be Abolished", then all people in that Thrall Cycle have their Thrall
Attributes set to "".
CHAIN

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:29:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3479

Proposal 3479
Just what are you hiding /dev/joe?
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is Aardvark is a Modest Proposal.

{{[It just occurred to me that at some time in the past a whole heap of
rules could have been hidden by eir own precedence within the rule set;
Ackanomic could be a completely different game to what we think it is.
Are those "Promoter Errors" or something much more sinister? So I
figure, if we already have so many hidden rules, why not one more? :)
]}}

Amend rule 42 (The Oldest Rule in the Book) to read in full:

I. The Cover up
a) The proposal (including its number, title, author and any other
associated text) which added this text to this rule shall be represented
by "" in the proposal archive and its absence shall be attributed to
"Promoter Error". Any messages used to distribute or report the results 
of the proposal shall be removed from the mail archives if possible.
b) This rule shall be represented by the THEOFFICIALSTORY delimited text
at the bottom of this rule in all Ackanomic documents and web pages.
c) The proposal which added this text to this rule shall not be recorded
as having amended this rule.

II. The Conspiracy
a) A Really Big Black Mark is an entity.

{{The Mu-Cow Hunter is awarded a Really Big Black Mark.}}

b) Any player who publicly refers to, quotes or implies the existence of
any part of this rule other than that text delimited by THEOFFICIALSTORY
shall receive an Really Big Black Mark. This paragraph shall take effect
one second after it is created, at which point this sentence shall be
deleted from this rule.

c) If a player (A) who joined Ackanomic at least three months after the
last Really Big Black Mark was awarded can provide satisfactory evidence
that a player (B) who was a player at the time this text was added to
this rule, has entered into any non-public correspondence with em
regarding, referring to, or implying the existence of any part of this
rule not delimited by THEOFFICIALSTORY, then B shall transfer A$200 to A
and the entire text of this rule shall be replaced by the
THEOFFICIALSTORY delimited text.

d) An instant before the application of any rule change, authored by a
player who joined Ackanomic at least three months after the last Really
Big Black Mark was awarded, which would cause any of the text not
delimited by THEOFFICIALSTORY in this rule to be removed, each active
player who does not have a Really Big Black Mark shall receive A$100,
all Really Big Black Marks shall be destroyed and this rule shall be
amended to read in full as delimited by THEOFFICIALSTORY.

III. The Secret Police
This rule takes precedence over all rules, including any rules which set
restrictions on the method by which a rule may take precedence over em.

IV. The Institutionalised Lie
THEOFFICIALSTORY
All persons more than a mile high to leave the court.
THEOFFICIALSTORY

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3480

Proposal 3480
Kirlian Quest
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

{{[ First, this Proposal moves the Herald's Office into its own Rule in
the 400's, and makes it non-Optional.  Second, it gives the Herald some
duties regarding the officiation of Duels, which seems appropriate from
its historical antecedents.  Third, it makes it possible for the Second
in a Duel to replace the player e is Seconding if that player goes on
Vacation. ]}}

Create a new Rule, numbered 435, named "Herald", with text as follows
(delimited by HYDRO):

HYDRO
There exists the Political Office of Herald, with a Minimum Term In
Office of 6 months.

The Herald has the following Privileges:

1. Granting Coats of Arms.  This is the only way that they may be bestowed.
(See Rule 1160.)

2. Altering Coats of Arms by means of abatements, as described in Rule 1160.

3. Receiving a monthly salary of the Standard Harfer Fee less A$5.

The Herald has the following Duties:

1. To track the Honour of each player or undead, and make that information
publicly available to any player upon request.

2. Maintaining a web page of graphical depictions of all the Coats
of Arms of the various players and Organizations that possess them,
or failing that, their blazons.

3. Announcing the beginnings and ends of Duels.
HYDRO

Replace the current text of Rule 1160, "Heraldry", with the following
(delimited by SQUAM):

SQUAM
Any player or Organization may have a Coat of Arms. Coats of Arms are
nontradeable entities.

Any entity eligible to have a Coat of Arms may submit a proposed
design to the Herald. E may refuse the design at eir discretion, and
must do so if it is the same as the Coat of Arms of any other player
or organization. If e approves of the design, then the entity
requesting the Coat of Arms shall pay the Standard Harfer Fee, and the
Herald shall announce the Coat of Arms publicly by posting its blazon.
(A blazon is a textual description of the Coat of Arms in standard
heraldic language.)

If the bearer of a Coat of Arms should ever be found guilty of a Crime
(i.e. a CFCJ's final verdict is that they committed a Crime), then the
Herald, may alter eir Coat of Arms by means of an abatement. E may also
set conditions to the Arms-bearer for the removal of the abatement.

Coats of Arms are not Garments, but for A$10 a player with a Coat
of Arms may purchase a Surcoat bearing their Coat of Arms. Surcoats
are Garments.

The Ackanomic Coat of Arms is: Per pale sable and barry wavy tenne and
purpure, a scale of justice between a frog and a life-glider, all or.
SQUAM

Amend Rule 550 by deleting the second-last paragraph(which begins "It
is a duty of the Herald").

Amend Rule 1215, "Duels", as follows:

Replace the following text(delimited by ERB):

ERB
The duel starts upon the Challenged Player's Second posting the
acceptance of the Duel. [The President, or any other Political
Officer, may announce the start of the duel, if they wish.] If the
Game or Contest chosen for the Duel requires a Referee, it does not
require two teams of two players, and no player volunteers to referee
the Game within one week of the Duel's beginning, then the Challenged
Player's Second shall referee the Duel.
ERB

with the following text(delimited by YAEL):

YAEL
After the Challenged Player's Second has posted the acceptance of the
Duel, the Duel starts when the Herald announces it.  If the Game or
Contest chosen for the Duel requires a Referee, it does not require
two teams of two players, and no player volunteers to referee the Game
within one week of the Duel's beginning, then the Herald shall referee the
Duel, unless the Herald is either the Challenged or Challenging Player,
in which case the Challenged Player's Second shall referee the Duel.
YAEL

Replace the following text(delimited by FLINT)

FLINT
e. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures becomes
unable to play subgames, e forfeits the Duel.
FLINT

with the following(delimited by HEEM):

HEEM
e. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures becomes
unable to play subgames, then eir Second shall take eir place in the
subgame, unless eir Second is already playing or refereeing the game,
in which case the player forfeits the Duel.
HEEM

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3481

Proposal 3481
Americathon
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 1215, "Duels", as follows:

In section 4., delete 4.f.

{{[
   f. A Player running for Office may not Challenge another Player
   running for the same Office to a duel.
]}}

and reletter 4.g. through 4.k. as 4.f. through 4.j.

{{[ I have no idea if there's some historical basis for this, but it
doesn't seem to be covering a major scam loophole, so I thought I'd
try this out... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:33:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3482

Proposal 3482
Falling Off the Swing
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

[This proposal reforms the Swinger system, and divorces Swingerships from
Offices.  Given that there are a number of features of Swingers that make
them not Officers in the normal sense (e.g. no duties, just privileges,
and fixed party affiliations), I believe this separation will make things
simpler.  It certainly enables me to shrink the size of Rule 1040.]

Amend Rule 1040 to read as delimited by PARTAY:

PARTAY
I. Swingerships and Provisional Swingerships are tradeable entities.
The owner of a Swingership is known as a Swinger.

II. Each Swingership has associated with it a Party attribute.  This
attribute is either the name of a Political Party, or the null string
[""].  A Swingership with Party attribute "" may be referred to as a Free
Swingership.  All other Swingerships may be referred to as Party
Swingerships, and their owners may be referred to as Party Swingers.  A
Party whose name matches the Party attribute for a given Swingership is
the Appropriate Party for that Swingership.

III.  When a Political Party is created, a Swingership with Party
attribute the name of that Political Party is created, and is Somewhere
Else.  When a Political Party is destroyed, any Swingership with Party
attribute the name of that Political Party becomes a Provisional
Swingership.

{{[Provisional Swingerships are the "On a Limb" Swingers]}}

IV.  The owner of a Provisional Swingership may convert it into a
Free Swingership by paying 15 times the Standard Harfer Fee to the
Treasury.  If a Provisional Swingership has existed as such for 7 days or
longer, then it is destroyed when any player points out this fact.

V.  If less than seven Swingerships exist, a player may create a new
Free Swingership by paying 10 times the Standard Harfer Fee to the
Treasury, and specifying a legal Ackanomic name which can be used to refer
to the new Swingership.

{{[This avoids the problem of negative numbers of Offices in the Treasury,
or any workaround necessary to avoid it.]}}

VI.  If a Party Swingership is Somewhere Else, any member of the
Appropriate Party may, as a public action, take possession of that
Swingership.  The ownership of a Party Swingership may be changed as an
Organisational Action of the Appropriate Party.  If ever a Party
Swingership is held by a player not of the Appropriate Party, then it goes
Somewhere Else.

{{[Party Swingerships are automatically shifted on vacation, and anyone in
the party can take hold of it.  This is designed to minimise the
disadvantage to a party when their Swinger goes on Vacation.  However, the
Party still has the right to remove the Swingership from someone they
don't like, as an Org Action.]}}

VII.  Any player may cause a Swingership they own to go Somewhere Else as
a public action.  Free Swingerships which go Somewhere Else are destroyed.
When the owner of a Party Swingership goes on Vacation, that Swingership
goes Somewhere Else.

{{[Resignation of Swingerships, or the equivalent behaviour, anyway.]}}

VIII.  Whenever a Swingership or Provisional Swingership is destroyed, all
Party Chess Pieces associated with it are destroyed.

IX.  A Swingership that has been Somewhere Else for the last 7 days is
called a Warm Swingership.

PARTAY

[I see no need for the NAP Swinger to exist as a distinct job.  There is
already the opportunity for Capital Swingers to perform such a role.
I am also abolishing the Chess Vote, because it is a significant amount of
work for breadbox to check, all for one extra vote which would be used
very, very irregularly.  Too much harfing for its worth.]

Amend Rule 1230.1 by replacing section 2A with the following FIX-delimited
text:

FIX
A. Each Swinger controls a set of Party Chess Pieces. The pieces are owned
by that Swinger's Swingership.  Whenever the rules refer to pieces as
being owned by, or property of, a Swinger, the implied meaning is that
they are property of the corresponding Swingership. Playing PartyChess is
the raison d'etre of a Swingership.
FIX

Amend Rule 1230.2 by replacing section 2 with the following FIX2-delimited
text:

FIX2
2. Managing the Game 

A. At the beginning of the game of Party Chess there are no Party Chess
Pieces on the Party Board. 

B. Each Swingership receives one King, and five playing pieces. Each
Swinger may choose any five pieces which are defined by a
PartyChessPieceDef rule, as long as their total material value does not
exceed 30. These pieces are created in the possession of the appropriate
Swingers, free of charge. Initially all pieces are off-board. 

C. When a new Swingership is created, it receives one King and five other
PartyChessPieces, as described in 2.B. 
FIX2

{{[The destruction of Party Chess Pieces is already in Rule 1040.]}}

Amend Rule 1230.2 by replacing sections 3E and 3F with the following
FIX3-delimited text:

FIX3
E. When a Swingership is destroyed, it, and the name of the
last Swinger to occupy it, are removed from the Swinger Play List. 

F. When an Swingership is created, it is placed at the bottom of the
Swinger Play List.
FIX3

Amend Rule 1230.2 by replacing section 4B with the following
FIX4-delimited text:

FIX4
(i) If a Swingership is Warm, and the Swinger is not checked, then: 

(a) If the Office has no on-board pieces, or the previous move made by
that office was not a Pass, then that Swinger's Office automatically
Passes when its turn begins, otherwise 

(b) That Swingership automatically Surrenders when its turn begins. 

(ii) If a Warm Swingership is checked, then that turn is not played
automatically. If a Warm Party Swingership is checked, the Chess-Umpire
has the Duty of notifying all player members of that Party of the check
situation, including members who are vacationing. 

(iii) When there are 7 or more Swingers with on-board pieces, the turn of
any Swinger who has no on-board pieces is skipped entirely. 

(iv) It is permissible for a Party or a Swinger with a Warm Office to
notify the Chess-Umpire of a Surrender at any time by sending a public
message to that effect. The Surrender takes effect immediately. This
section of this rule takes precedence over all other sections of this
rule. 

If a Party Swinger's last three moves have all been default plays, then
their Swingership goes Somewhere Else.
FIX4

Amend Rule 1230.40 by replacing all instances of "Swinger's Office" with
"Swingership".

{{Each Party Swinger's Office becomes a Swingership with Party affiliation
equal to the name of that Party.  The NAP Swinger's Office becomes a Free
Swingership with name "NAP".  All other Swinger's Offices become Free
Swingerships, retaining their old name.  All Swinger's Offices in the
Treasury are destroyed.}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:34:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3483

Proposal 3483
I Am Not the Only Dust My Mother Raised!
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

It is a crime to talk in a publicly knowable proposal about dorums.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #137
*********************************