Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #127
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Wednesday, August 12 1998     Volume 03 : Number 127

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:47:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3411

Proposal 3411
Say What You Mean
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 550 ("Honor System Rule Suite") by replacing the text "a
range of -1000000 to 1000000" with the following Q-delimited text:
Q
a range encompassing all integers [i.e. from "negative infinity"
to "positive infinity"]"
Q

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:48:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3412

Proposal 3412
Cycle=Duel?
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

This is a Modest proposal

Amend Rule 550.1 ("Honorable Acts") by replacing the text "1 honour :
Winning a Cycle" with the text "2 honour : Winning a Cycle".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:49:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3413

Proposal 3413
Just Like It Too
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[It should be permissible for both expensive and old trinkets to be
Majik, IMIUHO]}}

Amend Rule 506.1 (Magik) to read in full:
"
An existing Trinket can be made into a Majik by the Archaeologist. A
player who owns a Trinket worth more than A$99 or which has existed for
at least six months can ask in a public message if that Trinket is
special. If the Archaeologist replies publicly within 3 days "This
Trinket is Majik", then the Trinket becomes a Majik. [It is considered
good form to give the Archaeologist a 10% fee for this service.]

Majiks are no longer Trinkets but keep the value, name and description
they had when Trinkets. Majiks are tradeable entities.
"

{{[Current Text
An existing Trinket can be made into a Majik by the Archaeologist. A
player who owns a Trinket worth more than A$99 can ask
in a public message if that Trinket is special. If the Archaeologist
replies publicly within 3 days "This Trinket is Majik", then the
Trinket becomes a Majik. [It is considered good form to give the
Archaeologist a 10% fee for this service.]

Majiks are no longer Trinkets but keep the value, name and description
they had when Trinkets. Majiks are tradeable entities.
]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:50:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3414

Proposal 3414
The Motherload
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Not _another_ hearing <graon> :) ]}}

Insert as a new Section after Section III of rule 1217 (Buried
Treasure!) the following text (--- delimited):
- ---
IV.

If a player believes that a particular treasure map, for a treasure
which was discovered within the previous three days, is not in keeping
with the spirit of treasure hunting e may call for a Hostile Takeover.

A Hostile Takeover is a Hearing for which the valid responses are:
"Right up there with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure" and "the accumulation of
money is a great evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett,
Witches Abroad]. The player who called it is the Hearing Harfer for it
and is called the Gold Digger while it is in session. For the purposes
of this section those entities which were buried in the treasure and any
entities created from them since the discovery of the treasure are
referred to as The Motherload.

The map writer and recipient of the Treasure against which the Hostile
Takeover was called are not permitted to vote in the Hostile Takeover.

In the event that the verdict of the Hostile Takeover is "Right up there
with the Jukkasjarvi Treasure", the Gold Digger shall transfer The 
Standard Harfer Fee to the map writer.

In the event that the verdict is "the accumulation of money is a great
evil and a burden to the soul" [Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad], then
all entities in The Motherload, which are of types normally accepted by
the Museum, are transferred to the North Wing of the Museum with the map
writer as beneficiary. Any entities in the Motherload which were not 
transferred to the Museum's North wing by the previous sentence are 
transferred to the Treasury. Additionally the map writer shall pay The 
Standard Harfer Fee to the Gold Digger.
- ---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3415

Proposal 3415
Spell - Charm Person
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

[This proposal creates the basic structure of enthrallments.  It sets up
the definition of Thrall, the method of claiming Thrall through proposals,
the Office of Thrallmaster, and the method of claiming a Win from Thrall.
Other Thrall-related items are less central to the concept, and so better
belong in separate proposals.]

Create a new Rule, numbered 750, titled "Thrall: Definition", with the
following 1ST-delimited text:

1ST
Each Player has a Thrall Attribute.  At all times a Player's thrall
attribute is either the name of a Player or the null string (i.e. "").
If a Player (A) changes their name, then any players whose thrall
attribute was the old name of Player (A), then their thrall attribute
becomes the new name of Player (A).

When a new player joins the game, their Thrall Attribute is set to "".

When a Player (B) leaves the game, any Player whose Thrall Attribute is
the name of Player (B) has their Thrall Attribute set to "".

If Player (C) has Thrall Attribute which is the name of Player (D), then
Player (C) may be referred to as Player (D)'s Overlord.

{{All Players' Thrall Attributes are set to "".}}
1ST

Create a new Rule, numbered 440, titled "Thrallmaster", with the following
2ND-delimited text:

2ND
There is a Functional Office of Thrallmaster.

The Duties of the Thrallmaster are:
 (i) To maintain a list of player Thrall Attributes.
(ii) To publicly announce whenever a Thrall Attribute has changed.
2ND

Create a new Rule, numbered 755, titled "Enthrallments", with the
following 3RD-delimited text:

3RD
Players may indicate Potential Enthrallments by privately notifying the
Thrallmaster.  A Potential Enthrallment consists of a Player and a
Proposal, provided that the author of the Proposal and of the Potential
Enthrallment are the same, and the Proposal is in its voting period.
Each Proposal may only appear in a single Potential Enthrallment; if a
Proposal appears in multiple supposed Potential Enthrallments, only the
first one which satisfies the above conditions shall be valid.

When a Proposal which is part of a Potential Enthrallment is accepted, the
Player mentioned in the Potential Enthrallment has their Thrall Attribute
set to the name of the author of that Proposal.

When a Proposal which is part of a Potential Enthrallment is rejected, the
author of that Proposal has their Thrall Attribute set to the name of the
Player mentioned in the Potential Enthrallment.
3RD

Create a new Rule, numbered 615, entitled "Win By World Domination", with
the following 4TH-delimited text:

4TH
If a single Player (A) is Overlord of more than 60% of all Active Players,
then Player (A) achieves a Winning Condition, provided that Player (A) did
not win the previous Cycle by achieving a Winning Condition under the
provisions of this rule.  Player (A) also receives the title of Small Lab
Mouse, if e does not already have it.

If anyone wins a Cycle by this method, then at the end of that Cycle all
Thrall Attributes are set to "".
4TH

{{Slakko's Thrall Attribute is set to the name of the Player who has had
the Ackanomic Name of "Publius".}}
[That's for the groovy name suggestion - Thrallmaster]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3416

Proposal 3416
Multi-proposals
Publius (Brandon Ray)

Create a new rule with the number 304 and the title “Multi-proposals”,
consisting of the following BINARY-delimited text:

BINARY
A player may submit multiple proposals (or Multi-proposals) with the
intention that only one of them (at most) be adopted.  Only proposals
submitted as described in this Rule shall be considered as
Multi-proposals.

A Multi-proposal shall consist of two or more independent and complete
proposals, written and submitted as described in the Rules governing
proposals.  In addition to this, each of the proposals must abide by the
following:

1.  All proposals in a Multi-proposal must be submitted by the same
author.

2.  There may be no more than five individual proposals contained in any
given Multi-proposal.

3.  All proposals in a Multi-proposal must address substantially the
same subject matter.  The Promoter may declare Invalid any part of a
Multi-proposal, if e believes that this requirement has not been met.
There shall be no penalty to the author if part of a Multi-proposal is
declared Invalid under the terms of this paragraph.

4.  Each proposal in a Multi-proposal must begin with the following
CAVEAT-delimited text:

CAVEAT
This proposal is part  of Multi-proposal NAME.
CAVEAT

Where NAME is any legal name.

5. No more than one hour may separate the submission of the first
proposal of a Multi-proposal from the submission of the last proposal,
and all proposals within a Multi-proposal must be submitted on the same
calendar day.

Individual proposals contained in a Multi-proposal shall be processed by
the Promoter in all respects as if they were regular proposals, except
that the Promoter shall make a reasonable effort to place the individual
proposals of a Multi-proposal next to each other on the voting queue,
and to give them sequential Proposal numbers.

Individual proposals contained in a Multi-proposal shall be voted upon
by the players in all respects as if they were regular proposals.  In
tabulating the vote, however, only that proposal with the greatest
percentage of YES votes shall be accepted, and all other proposals from
the same Multi-proposal shall be rejected, regardless of eir vote totals
and quorum status.  To be accepted,a proposal must also meet all other
requirements prescribed by the Rules for acceptance of a regular
proposal.  In the event that two or more proposals within the same
Multi-proposal shall receive the same percentage of YES votes, and both
meet the requirements to be accepted, the proposal with the lowest
Proposal number shall be accepted, and the other proposal(s) shall be
rejected.

As long as one proposal within a Multi-proposal is accepted, the author
shall receive the points to which e would be entitled if the accepted
proposal had been presented and accepted as a regular proposal.  If none
of the proposals are accepted, the author shall lose one point for each
Modest Proposal contained in the Multi-proposal; five points for each
Grandiose proposal contained in the Multi-proposal; and three points for
each immodest, non-grandiose proposal contained in the Multi-proposal.

Individual proposals within a Multi-proposal may be retracted by the
author in the same manner as prescribed in the Rules for regular
proposals.

Each individual proposal within a Multi-proposal may be Modest,
Grandiose, or neither, without regard to the status of any other
individual proposal within the same Multi-proposal.
BINARY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3417

Proposal 3417
YAEF (Yet another Eleusis Fix)
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 1250.23 (Eleusis) as follows.
Replace section 2a which currently reads 'This game is played with 5-8
players and one optional Referee.' with 'This game is played by 4-8
players and one optional Referee.'
{{[This is what it was supposed to be initially]}}

{{[If there is no game of Eleusis currently in existance known as game 1
that has as it's players exactly the entities known as (or formerly known
as) Mr. Tambourine Man, /dev/joe, 867-5309 and else...if, then this game
now exists with the state of the game being that declared by the referee,
the position of which is filled by JT]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:54:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3418

Proposal 3418
Tomfoolery
867-5309 (Eric Plumb)

While enjoying our compatibility,
I am cognizant of its fragility,
And I question the advisability
Of relying on its durability.
You're aware of my inflexibility
And my quintessential volatility
And the total inconceivability
Of my showing genuine humility.

Though your undeniable nubility
May excuse a certain puerility,
Your alleged indispensability
Underestimates my versatility,
And your boyish irresponsibility
And what now is charming juvenility
Will in time lose their adorability
And appear much more like juvenility.

{{ Add "Artist: Tom Lehrer" to the Literature List. 
867-5309 loses 2 points; Attila the Pun gains 2 points. }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:55:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3419

Proposal 3419
Characteristic Tests
JT (JT Traub)

Create a rule numbered 541 titled 'Characteristic Tests' with the
following TESTY delimited text

TESTY
Other rules may call for a test of a characteristic.  A test of a
characteristic is only valid if all objects to be tested contain the
characteristic to be tested, and if the characteristic is defined as
Testable.

When a rule calls for a Characteristic Test, the following proceedure is
performed.

For each object to be tested, a Characteristic Roll is performed.  A
Characteristic Roll is defined as a random number generated such that it
has the same distribution as that characteristic. [For instance to
generate a characteristic roll for Strength one would use 3d6].

For each object the Characteristic Roll is compared subtracted from the
Characteristic Value.   The resulting number is the Test Value.

The object with the maximum Test Value is declared to have won the test.

[Example:  JT has a STR of 12 and Alfvaen has a STR of 17.  The
Characteristic Roll for JT is 7 and the Characteristic Roll for Alfvaen is
14.  The Test Value for JT is 5 (12-7) and the Test Value for Alfvaen is
3 (17 - 3).  Therefor JT would win this hypothetical test.]
TESTY

Make the following amendments to rule 540.2 (Basic Player Characteristics).
In the first paragraph replace 25 with 18.  {{[This gives an even
distribution of 3d6 whereas 3-25 was strange.]}}
Append the following TESTABLE delimited text to the end of the first
paragraph
TESTABLE
The Basic Player Characteristics are Testable.
TESTABLE
Append the following DM delimited text to the end of the rule
DM
It is the responsibility of the DM to track any characteristics of players
that are not explicitly tracked by any other officer.
DM
{{[Basically this means these and Harf since Honour is tracked by the
Herald.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:56:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3420

Proposal 3420
Three's A Crowd
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now.

This is a Grandiose proposal.

Create a new Rule, numbered 775, named "Vagueness", with text as
follows(delimited by SEQ):

SEQ
It is a crime to talk in a public dorum about publicly unknowable things.
SEQ

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 05:57:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3421

Proposal 3421
Duelling Banjos Would Be More Effective
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 1250.13, "Single Capture Go", by replacing the text
"minimum players: 2" with "minimum players: 3".

[This game is almost always a draw when played as a duel.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:27:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3417

I hereby retract Proposal 3417.

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #127
*********************************