Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #126
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Monday, August 10 1998       Volume 03 : Number 126

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:53:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: JT <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 3400

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, nomicbot wrote:
>Proposal 3400
>Removing the last vestiges of the undead
>JT (JT Traub)

I retract Proposal 3400.  I realized after I sent it that I'd missed a
couple of places where undead were still referenced.  Sorry 'bout that.

- --JT

[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.                  ]
[ It's hard to seize the day when you must first grapple with the morning ]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:49:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3406

Proposal 3406
CounterdemonStratoR
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[I fail to see why CSR needs to limited to a few players. The inbuilt
properties of a CSR doesn't lend itself to a scam. Furthermore many
CSRable changes now days go the proposal route anyway. This proposal
repeals the CSRR and CSR restrictions and introduces a standard harfer
fee penalty for rejected CSRs.]}}

- ---------------

Repeal Rule 421.1 (Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy)
{{[Its old but is it really useful???]}}

Renumber Rule 421.2 (Common Sense Reports) to 421 and make it read in
full:
"
A Common Sense Report (CSR) is a list of suggested changes to the Rules
or other documents, but is not a proposal. A CSR may only be authored by
an active voting player.

Whenever a player authors a CSR, he must assign it a unique integer one
greater than the most recently distributed CSR and distribute it
publicly. After it has been distributed, any player may publicly object
to that CSR. If during the three days after it has been distributed two
or more players objected to the CSR, it is rejected and its author is
fined the Standard Harfer Fee. If fewer than two players objected, then
its author has three days to announce the fact, at which time the
changes described in the CSR are enacted. If the author fails to
announce the acceptance of the CSR within the prescribed time-frame then
the CSR is treated as if it was rejected.

A player who authors more than two CSRs in a calendar month which are
rejected is Guilty of Abusing the System. A player who is Guilty of
Abusing the System may not author a CSR.
"

Amend Rule 711 (Appeal for Pardon) to read in full:
"
Any player may make an Appeal for Pardon (AFP), provided both 1 and 2
are true:

1) The player is not the President.
2) With respect to the player at least one of the following is true:
i) e has had a verdict of TRUE reached against em within the past 3 days
on a CFCJ
ii) e in the Gaol.
iii) e is Guilty of Patent Infringement.
iv) e is Guilty of Abusing the System.

An AFP must be made to the public forum. From the time it is made
public, the President has 3 days to GRANT or DENY the
pardon. If there is no President, the President is inactive, or the
President does not act on the AFP within 3 days, the AFP is
considered DENYed.

If the AFP is GRANTed the President may specify any combination of the
following effects, which will then be applied:
i) any penalties stemming from a CFCJ naming the player, distributed
within the past three days is waived.
ii) the player is immediately released from the Gaol, if they are in the
Gaol.
iii) the player will no longer be said to be Guilty of Patent
Infringement.
iv) the player will no longer be said to be Guilty of Abusing the
System.

If the President fails to specify which effect(s) are to be applied then
all of the effects listed above will be applied.
"

- ---------------
{{[Custodianship bites the dust]}}

Remove Section 5 from Rule 311 (Rule Suites) which reads:
"
5) Each Rule Suite (being the collection of all rules X.Y for some fixed
integer X which satisfy the above conditions) may have
exactly one Office as its Custodian. It is a privilege of an Office to
issue a CSR which only modifies rules in the Rule Suite or
Rule Suites of which that Office is Custodian.
"

Remove Section V from Rule 210 (Literature) which reads:
"
V. Any player may issue a CSR that consists solely of modifications to
the Literature list. Otherwise, the Literature list may only
be modified by Proposals and by the Spelling Bee.
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 346 (The Ackanomic Lexicon):
"
Any Player may author a CSR which modifies only the Ackanomic Lexicon.
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 407.1 (Rule-Harfer):
"
d) To submit Common Sense Reports (CSRs) which only affect rule numbers
and rule number references in the rules.
"

Amend Rule 409 (Registrar) to replace CSRR with CSR were it appears [in
Section b.ii].

Remove the following sentence from Rule 422 (Postmaster):
"
It is a privilege of the Postmaster to issue CSRs that consist solely of
modifications to the Postal Code.
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 1230 (Party Chess Rule Suite):
"
The ChessUmpire is the Custodian of the Party Chess Rule Suite (the
1230.Y rules).
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 1240 (Otzma Cards Rule Suite)
"
The RuneMaker is the Custodian of the Otzma Card Rule Suite (the 1240.Y
rules).
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 594 (Blueprint Rule Suite):
"
The Custodian of the Blueprint Rule Suite (the 594.Y rules) is the
Inventor.
"

Remove the following sentence from Rule 550 (Honour System Rule Suite):
"
The Herald is the Custodian of the Honour System Rule Suite.
"

Remove the following text (BONK delimited) from Rule 950 (Ackanomic
Sound System Rule Suite):
BONK
VII. Custodianship

The DeeJay is Custodian of the Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite (the
950.Y rules).
BONK

Remove the following text (DONK delimited) from Rule 1060 (Transnomicial
Trade Pacts Rule Suite.)
DONK
6) Custodianship

The Ambassador is Custodian of the Transnomicial Trade Pacts Rule Suite
(the 1060.Y rules).
DONK

- ---------------
{{[Miscellaneous Changes]}}

Amend Rule 348 (" ") to replace "CSRR Officer" with "Speaker" where ever
it appears.
{{[I thought of Financier and I thought of Registrar, but neither seem
to fit the bill. This doesn't happen very often anyway, so it shouldn't
over work the speaker.]}}

Remove "by the CSRR" were ever it appears in Rule 716 (Patent
Infringement)

Delete the following sentence from Rule 847 (Earthquakes):
"
The Map-Harfer may author a CSR within three days of announcing that a
Really Bad Earthquake has occured, he should restrict this CSR to
altering the Rules in regards to Locations.
"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:54:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3407

Proposal 3407
Bomb
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Delete section II of Rule 415 (Presidential Decisions).
{{[
II. Bomb Shelter

The President may build a Bomb Shelter for the community. In addition to
any other requirements of this rule to do so, however,
the President must also pay A$850 in construction costs, or it will not
be built. Any Bomb Shelter is destroyed 7 days after it is
built by a rare species of acidic mold.
]}}

{{[Overpriced, not used for AGES]}}

Create a new rule as part of Otzma Cards Rule Suite (Rule 1240) with the
title "Otzma Card of Type Bomb Shelter" with the text:
"
This card may only be played in the public forum.

A Bomb Shelter will be built for the community when this card takes
effect.

Seven days after a Bomb Shelter is built it is destroyed by a rare
species of acidic mold.

At any given time there may exist at most one Card of this type. 'Bomb
Shelter' Otzma Cards have an F-designation of Rare.
"

{{[Bribe em to play it or bribe em not to...]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:55:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3408

Proposal 3408
Should've CSRed it ;)
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 721 (Annoyances) by replacing the following text:
"
Attempting through the format of a public message (i.e. excessive
whitespace) to conceal part or all of its text is Annoying.
"
with:
"
Attempting through the format of a public message (e.g. excessive
whitespace) to conceal a public action is Annoying.
"

{{[Reduced scope - public actions (ie game state effects) only.
Placing a retraction in the middle of a lengthy discussion of a
proposal's merits is still Annoying, since if the Harfer is uninterested
in the discussion e may miss it and if the discussion is not taking
place on research.... same goes with financial transactions.
'Cource prosecution is still a matter of _how_ annoying it was :)]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:56:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3409

Proposal 3409
Building Better Homes
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[ Building prices are ridiculously high. Either we don't want entities
to purchase those buildings or they
should cost less. New Cost = (No Kaa*10)^2/2. At least now after someone
has won by museum e can save up and buy an Extravagant building.
Additionally, Headquarters are introduced and the building rules are
consolidated.]}}

Amend Rule 839 (Buildings) to read in full (BABEL Delimited):
BABEL
I. Definition
i) Buildings are a class of named tradeable entity.
ii) Each type of building has the following land requirements and
construction costs:
Size        Land Construction
Small       1    A$50
Cosy        2    A$200
Classy      3    A$450
Lavish      4    A$800
Sumptuous   5    A$1250
Extravagant 12   A$7200

iii) Buildings may have a description.
iv) A Building is either Attached, Tethered or Floating and may only
change between these states as described in the rules. A building is in
which ever state it was most recently placed in by the rules. If a
building is reattached it becomes Attached.
v) Attached and Tethered buildings are said to occupy the number of kaa
required for eir size (as stated above). Floating buildings occupy no
land.

{{All buildings which are dangling by eir emergency tethers become
Tethered. All buildings which are floating free become Floating. All
buildings which did not change state as a result of the previous two
sentences become Attached.}}

II. Construction
i) Provided that e owns enough unoccupied land to accommodate the new
building, an entity may construct a building by paying the appropriate
fee, as a public action, at which time an Attached building is created
in eir possession.
ii) An entity may increase the size of a building e owns by paying the
difference in the construction costs between its current size and its
intended size, provided that e owns sufficient unoccupied land to
accommodate the extra land the building will take up. Extravagant
buildings cannot be upgraded
iii) The land occupied by an Attached building always forms a contiguous
block unless the rule permit otherwise for a particular building.

III. Real Estate Act 1842
i) An action which would cause a building and the land to which that
building is attached to belong to more than one entity is impossible.
This section has precedence over any rule which would allow such a
action.
ii) Buildings which are unowned are destroyed unless they are defined in
the rules.
iii) A building which occupies a group of kaa which is not wholly owned
by the owner of the building starts Floating.
iv) Only one Building (except for towers) may exist on any given kaa of
land.
v) Regardless of ownership, land and the buildings that reside on it are
not considered to be in the treasury.

IV. Description
i) The owner of a building may change its name or description as a
public action provided e unambiguously identifies the affected
building. Giving a description of the house which is not in accord with
the rules is the Crime of Acting Like a Realtor.
ii) A player may designate a single building e owns as eir home. A
building designated as a player's home is a Common Location that may
only be entered with the permission of its owner.
iii) An organisation may designate a single building it owns as its
Headquarters. A building designated as an organisation's Headquarters is
a Common Location that may only be entered by member's of that
organisation.

V. Destruction
i) The entity which owns a building may destroy it as a public action.
ii) When a building is destroyed any towers attached to it are also
destroyed.
iii) If a building is destroyed its owner receives 10% of its
construction costs and it no longer exists.
iv) An entity may reduce the size of a building e owns, however, e shall
only receive 10% of the difference in the construction
costs between its current size and its new size.

VI. Rule Defined
The following buildings are common locations and may never be smaller
that as defined originally but can be greater:
i) The Senate Building is lavish.
ii) The FM building is a classy place.
iii) The Courthouse is a cosy building.
BABEL

Repeal Rule 846 (Constructions and Architectural Aesthetic).

Amend Rule 1309 (We don't need Gravity) if it exists by replacing the
penultimate paragraph with the following text:
"
In the event that any item loses its suction cups, which may only happen
in accordance with the rules, it shall fall off of the earth
and dangle from its surface by the attached emergency tether, in the
case of a building it shall become Tethered.
"

Amend Rule 1313 (Tornado) by replacing the following text:
"
Whenever a Tornado sweeps through Acka, each player's or haunted house
that is dangling from its emergency tether stands a
separate 50% chance of losing its tether and being swept off the face of
Acka. The player or undead shall retain possession or
haunt of the land the building was sitting on. A player so bereaved of
shelter may rebuild his house for A$100, and he must name it
upon its reconstruction. Until such time, he shall be issued a small
tent for use as his Home.
"
with:
"
Whenever a Tornado sweeps through Acka, each player's or haunted house
that is Tethered stands a separate 50% chance of losing its tether and
being swept off the face of Acka, were upon it becomes Floating. The
player or undead shall retain possession or haunt of the land the
building was sitting on. A player so bereaved of shelter may rebuild his
house for A$100, and he must name it upon its reconstruction. Until such
time, he shall be issued a small tent for use as his Home.
"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:59:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3410

Proposal 3410
Hunting Mu
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Create a new rule numbered 13 Titled "Hunting Mu" with the Text:
"
This rule has precedence over all rules pertaining to actions, players,
officers and proposals.

For the purposes of this rule the proposal which is still in the queue
which has the number closest to the proposal that created this rule of
all proposals still in the queue shall be referred to as "The Decoy".

An infinitesimal period of time after this rule is created a document
containing an exact copy of the text of The Decoy shall be created. The
document created in the previous sentence shall be refereed to as the
"The Proto-Hunter" for the purposes of this rule. Any proposal created
as a result of The Proto-Hunter shall be referred to as The Hunter for
the purposes of this rule.

For no reason whatsoever shall either The Decoy or The Hunter be
considered Invalid.

The following effects shall occur in order (no player need take any
action to fulfill these effects, they are deemed to have occurred
immediately with out the need for a player action or public message,
however, for the purposes of everything other than this rule the player
or office named, or implied, shall be deemed to have performed the
specified action in each case):
1. The Proto-Hunter shall be submitted to the promoter by the author of
The Decoy.
2. The Promoter shall distribute The Hunter with a proposal number 0.1
greater than The Decoy.
3. The Hunter's voting period shall commence.
4. All active voting players shall vote No on The Hunter.
5. The Hunter's voting period shall end.
6. This rule shall repeal itself.
"

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #126
*********************************