Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #120
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Sunday, August 2 1998       Volume 03 : Number 120

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:11:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3351

Proposal 3351
Eliminating Quorum Paradoxes
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 107, "Quorum", by replacing its last sentence with the
following TECHIE-delimited text:

TECHIE
Then, quorum is met if either (a) at least 60% of the players in the head
count have cast a vote, or (b) at least 36% of the players in the head
count have voted YES, or both.  In no other circumstances is quorum met.
TECHIE

[The reason for this?  As things stand, it is possible for the addition of
one NO vote to the results of a proposal to convert a rejection into an
acceptance.  This is extremely counter-intuitive.  The above definition
avoids this problem, while still requiring a significant quorum.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3352

Proposal 3352
13^2=169
Publius (Brandon Ray)

This is a modest proposal.

Replace the term "144" with the term "169" wherever it may appear in
Rule 820.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3353

Proposal 3353
Getting rid of some stuff
J. M. Bear (Frank Schmidt)

Repeal rule 594.7. [Evil Ballot Stuffer]
Repeal rule 597.19. [Pyraic Frobnotzer]
Repeal rule 597.21. [Good Ballot Stuffer]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3354

Proposal 3354
Other scientists are mad as well
J. M. Bear (Frank Schmidt)

Repeal rule 596. [Mad Scientist]
Repeal rule 597. [Frankenstein Monsters]
Repeal rule 594.23. [Nyarlathotep]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:15:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3355

Proposal 3355
An End To Tyranny
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Create a new Rule, numbered 705, entitled "A Kinder, Gentler System", with
the following SLAP-delimited text:

SLAP
Crimes fall into two categories: Whiffles and Felonies.  If it is not
explicitly specified which category a Crime falls into, it is a Whiffle.

It is a privilege of a Justice to issue Whiffle Notices (WN).  No player
may issue more than one WN in any one Calendar week.  A Whiffle Notice
contains the following items:

(1) its number, which must be an integer distinct from those used in all
previous Whiffle Notices.
(2) the name of a player who committed a Whiffle in the last week (this
player may be referred to as the transgressor).
(3) the Whiffle they committed.
(4) the punishment for committing that Whiffle.

Issuing a document which purports to be a WN, but does not satisfy the
above conditions, is the Whiffle of Whiffling.

A punishment is exactly one of the following:
(1) A public apology of between 1 and 10 lines, to be performed by the
transgressor within 3 days of the issuance of the WN.
(2) An amount of money no more than A$25, to be transferred from the
transgressor to the Treasury.
(3) A deduction of at most 10 points from the score of the transgressor.

If a punishment of types (2) or (3) is specified, the transfer or point
loss takes place at the time of issuance of the WN.

It is good form to impeach Justices who are abusing their privilege of 
issuing Whiffle Notices.
SLAP

Amend Rule 709, "Gaol", by replacing the text "CFJ or CFCJ" in Section 10
with "CFJ", and by removing Section 2, then renumbering all
higher-numbered sections to eliminate the gap thereby produced.

Repeal Rule 710, "Criminal Justice".
Repeal Rule 711, "Appeal for Pardon".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:16:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3356

Proposal 3356
Greater Poobah and Lesser Poobah
Publius (Brandon Ray)

{{After the following DISTRIBUTE-delimited text in Rule 408:

DISTRIBUTE
(d) to be the Substitute for the Office of Count Tabula.
DISTRIBUTE

Add the following NEWDUTY-delimited text:

NEWDUTY
(e)  Proclaim the identities of the Greater Poobah and the Lesser
Poobah.
NEWDUTY}}

{{Create a new rule with the number being the lowest integer greater
than 400 which is not already in use, to read as follows:}}

A.  There shall be two new Functional optional offices, the Greater
Poobah and the Lesser Poobah.

B.  The Greater Poobah shall be that player who had the greatest number
of proposals accepted during the most recent calendar week, as
determined by the Tabulator.  The Lesser Poobah shall be that player who
had the fewest number of proposals rejected during the most recent
calendar week, as determined by the Tabulator.  For purposes of this
rule only, the Tabulator shall count only those proposals for which
voting expired during the most recent calendar week.

C.  The identity of the Greater Poobah and the Lesser Poobah shall be
proclaimed by the Tabulator no more than three days after the end of
each calendar week.  Each Poobah shall take office immediately, and
shall hold office for exactly seven days from the moment e is proclaimed
by the Tabulator, or until a new Poobah is proclaimed, whichever happens
sooner.  The Tabulator may proclaim only one Greater Poobah and one
Lesser Poobah during each calendar week.

D.  A player may not be proclaimed to be either the Greater Poobah or
the Lesser Poobah if any of the following are true:

1.  The player was Inactive at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the most
recent calendar week.

2.  The player was in Gaol at 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the most
recent calendar week.

3.  The player had no proposals acted upon during the most recent
calendar week.

E.  In the event that two or more players shall be equally qualified to
be proclaimed Greater or Lesser Poobah, the Tabulator shall resolve the
tie using the Ackanomic dice, with each player’s chance of selection
(among those qualified) being equally weighted.

F.  In the event that no player shall be qualified to be proclaimed
Greater or Lesser Poobah, the Tabulator shall proclaim that the office
for which no player qualified will remain vacant for that calendar
week.  The other office, however, shall be filled in the normal manner.

G.  In the event that one player qualifies for both offices, the player
shall be proclaimed to be the Greater Poobah, and the office of Lesser
Poobah shall be proclaimed to be vacant for that calendar week.

H.  The Greater Poobah shall have the following duties:

1.  Sign all is posts with the phrase: “So spake the Greater Poobah, may
his name be revered!”

2.  To proclaim imself to be co-sponsor of at least one but not more
than three proposals written by other players, and for which voting
expires during the seven days following the moment e was proclaimed to
be Greater Poobah.

a.  If any proposal for which the Greater Poobah is co-sponsor shall be
accepted, e shall receive two points fewer than the number of points
received by the proposer (but not less than zero points).

b.  If any proposal for which the Greater Poobah is co-sponsor shall be
rejected, e shall lose a number of points equal to the number lost by
the proposer.

I.  The Lesser Poobah shall have the following duties:

1.  To sign all posts with the phrase, “So spake the Lesser Poobah,
legend in song and story!”

2.  To proclaim imself to be in Opposition to at least one but not more
than three proposals written by other players, and for which voting
expires during the seven days following the moment e was proclaimed to
be Lesser Poobah.

a.  If any proposal to which the Lesser Poobah is in Opposition shall be
rejected, e shall receive two points fewer than the number of points
the proposer would have received if it had been accepted (but not less
than zero points).

b.  If any proposal to which the Lesser Poobah is in Opposition shall be
accepted, e shall lose a number of points equal to the number the
proposer would have lost if it had been rejected.

J.  Neither the Greater Poobah nor the Lesser Poobah shall receive any
salary.

H.  Where conflicts occur, this rule takes precedence over all other
rules pertaining to Offices.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:17:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3357

Proposal 3357
This Year's Model
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 596, "The Mad Scientist".  Repeal Rule 597, "The Frankenstein
Monster(s)".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:18:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3358

Proposal 3358
Two small naming fixes
JT (JT Traub)

{{[This fixes the two errors that Alfvaen spotted in this]}}

Append the following TIMEOUT delimited text to the end of rule 251 (Player
Names)
TIMEOUT
If a player changes eir Ackanomic name twice and the second change is
acked by the Registrar while the first one has not been, then the first
change will not occur.
TIMEOUT
{{[
   This fixes the problem where as possibly recently happened, the first
   name change was possibly objected to, (but possibly not), a second one
   occured and now it is unclear what the current Ackanomic name of the
   two players really is.
]}}

Replace the paragraph of rule 251 (Player Names) currently existing as 
delimited by SIMPLE
SIMPLE
A player may change eir Ackanomic name, so long as the new name
complies with all applicable rules. If a player attempts to change eir
name to something not in compliance with the Rules, that attempt fails. In
addition, if the name change has not yet been accepted as described
in the following paragraph, the Registrar may object to the name change if
e feels that the new name is either a) too close to an existing player
name(i.e. differs by only one or two characters), or b) is intended only
to exploit Malenkai's Loophole(see Rule 721).
SIMPLE
with the following paragraph as delimited by BETTER
BETTER
A player may change eir Ackanomic name, so long as the new name
complies with all applicable rules. If a player attempts to change eir
name to something not in compliance with the Rules, that attempt fails. In
addition, if the name change has not yet been accepted as described
in the following paragraph, the Registrar may object to the name change if
e feels that the new name is not within the spirit of the game.  When the
player changing eir name is the Registrar, the President or any Senator
can object to or ack the name change as if e were the Registrar.  The
Registar may not ack eir own name change.
BETTER
{{[
   This change gives the registrar slightly broader authority to object to
   the name change.  It also gives someone to check the registrars ability
   to change eir own name.
]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 09:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3359

Proposal 3359
Don't Think You Can Make Me Nervous
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 909, "Steel Flea", as follows:

Replace the following text(delimited by GUANTANAMO):

GUANTANAMO
   If it is ever the case that Phoebe has been on a Leave Of Absence for
   30 days or more, then Phoebe may choose at any time to end her Leave
   of Absence. The Officer in Charge of Random Things shall determine
   whether or not this happens, again using whatever method e chooses. If
   e determines that Phoebe has chosen to end her Leave of Absence, then
   e must announce this fact publicly. Upon doing so, Phoebe and Phoebe's
   matchbox will no longer be Somewhere Else, and Phoebe's matchbox shall
   immediately be missing. [And thus the Officer in Charge of Random
   Things should then determine which player finds Phoebe next....]
GUANTANAMO

with the following text(delimited by MONTEGO);

MONTEGO
   When Phoebe has been on a Leave of Absence for 30 days or more, then
   Phoebe may choose to end her Leave of Absence. The Officer in Charge
   of Random Things shall determine whether or not this happens; this
   determination shall occur not more than once per calendar week. If e
   determines that Phoebe has chosen to end her Leave of Absence, then e
   must announce this fact publicly. Upon doing so, Phoebe and Phoebe's
   matchbox will no longer be Somewhere Else, and Phoebe's matchbox
   shall immediately be missing. [And thus the Officer in Charge of
   Random Things should then determine which player finds Phoebe next....]
MONTEGO

Also, delete the text ", using whatever method e chooses" from the previous
paragraph(where it has no value, being superseded by "Level Playing Field").

{{ If Phoebe is on a Leave of Absence, then her Leave of Absence is ended,
Phoebe and her matchbox are no longer Somewhere Else, and her matchbox
is missing. }}

{{[ It's entirely possible that we can eliminate the leave of absence
thing completely, but I wanted to fix Phoebe's indeterminate nature
first.  As I read the original version of this Rule, the OICORT should
be continually determining whether Phoebe returns every moment of every
day after the end of the Leave of Absence...  ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 16:54:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retract

I retract Proposal 3355.

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - Web-Harfer,RuneMaker,ChessUmpire,Map-Harfer - www.ackanomic.org

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 23:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brandon Ray <[email-masked]>
Subject: Retract

I hereby retract Proposal 3356.

As a note, I have fixed the salary problem; I shall re-submit this
proposal sometime on Monday, unless there are further comments between
now and then.  I'll post the current text to research momentarily.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #120
*********************************