Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #115
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Wednesday, July 29 1998      Volume 03 : Number 115

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:37:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3342

Proposal 3342
True Names
JT (JT Traub)

{{[This is an attempt at a better solution than the one I submitted
earlier, and I think more poetic.  However, I want to undo those changes
if they passed.]}}

Remove section VI. titled Name Gaming from rule 721 if such a section
exists.  {{[This undoes the annoying crime since if this passes, it won't
be possible to do.]}}

Remove the following sentance, delimited by HACK from rule 251 (Player
Names) if it exists in that rule
HACK
No player may choose as their Ackanomic name the Real Life name of any
current or former player at the time they make this choice.
HACK
{{[I'd prefer to see the solution proposed here take effect, but if this
fails and P3338 passes, I'm willing to live with that fix in place which
is why I'm not retracting that proposal]}}

Create a new rule 251.1 titled True Names with the following VINGE
delimited text
VINGE
Every Ackanomic player possesses, in addition to eir Ackanomic Name,
something known as eir True Name.

When a player first joins Ackanomic, the Registrar will choose the new
players True Name as follows.
a) The True Name for the new player is initially set to that players
   Real Life name.
b) If the form of this player's True Name is equivalent to the primitive
   form of the True Name of any current or former player, the True Name of
   the new player shall be suffixed by the '/' (slash) character followed
   by the smallest possible positive integer that creates a unique name.
   [IE if two players with the RL name of JT Traub joined the game, their
   True Names would be 'JT Traub' and 'JT Traub/1' respectively]

No player may (through any means) aquire an Ackanomic Name whose primitive
form is identical to the primitive form of the True Name of any current or
former player.  This paragraph takes precedence over all other rules
regarding player names and their modification.

No player may change their True Name, and the True Name of a player may always
be used as a valid and unambiguous reference for that player.

{{
  All current and former players are assigned True Names as if they had just
  joined the game.  [I don't think there are any current conflicts]
}}

Any player who has an Ackanomic Name which is currently in violation of this
rule has 7 days to choose a new valid Ackanomic Name.  If they have not
chosen an Ackanomic name within that time, the Registrar will choose an
Ackanomic Name for them.  At the end of 7 days, this paragraph repeals itself
from the rules.

"the prudent sorceror regarded his own true name as his most valued
possession but also the greatest threat to his continued good health"
[Vernor Vinge, True Names]
VINGE

Modify rule 409 (Registrar) by inserting the word 'player' between the
words 'their' and 'states' and by inserting the word 'current' between 
the words 'their' and 'Ackanomic names' in section (a).
{{[This just cleans up some language.]}}

Modify rule 409 (Registrar) by inserting the following ARCHIVE delimited
text as item (b) and then relettering the list as appropriate
ARCHIVE
(b) maintaining a list of all current and previous players, all Ackanomic
    names held by them at any point, and their True Names.
ARCHIVE
{{[This last bit just makes formal the duties of the Registrar to maintain
   a document which helps satisfy rule 348.]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #115
*********************************