Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #114
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Tuesday, July 28 1998       Volume 03 : Number 114

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 02:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brandon Ray <[email-masked]>
Subject: Current

#current

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:24:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3321

Proposal 3321
If we're going to keep it then why not make it a bit more
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

interesting

This is a modest proposal.

Modify rule 340 by replacing:

"VI. Whenever division is performed in Ackanomic, and the denominator of that
division evaluates to 0, then the result of that entire division shall be 0.
"

with:

"VI. Whenever division is performed in Ackanomic, and the denominator of that
division evaluates to 0, then the result of that entire division shall be
326.47."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3322

Proposal 3322
Lager, sir...
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1390.2 by appending the following text immediately following the
first sentence:

"Any frink defined as regal is also Royal."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:27:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3323

Proposal 3323
Another of these boring minor fixes
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

In rule 594 replace the text:

"XI. All Blueprints defer precedence to rules which are not Blueprints. "

with the text:

"XI. All Blueprints defer precedence to rules which are not Blueprints unless
they explicitly claim precedence over a given rule or rules in which case
they take precedence over that/those rule(s) only."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3324

Proposal 3324
The Great Debunk
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

{{[Initially I thought I'd write six separate proposals debunking those
gadgets I thought had outlived eir usefulness, but since such minimalist
proposals are frowned upon I thought I'd try a slightly different
approach.]}}

Create a rule numbered 592 Titled "The Great Debunk" with the following
HERRING delimited text:

- ----
HERRING
[During The Great Debunk, specifying a gadget is effectively a Yes vote
for its repeal. Not specifying a gadget is a No vote and not voting in
the hearing is an abstention.]

This rule takes precedence over Rule 360 (Hearings).

The Great Debunk is a hearing in which:

i) only active voting players may vote.
ii) a valid response consists of a list of gadgets refereed to by name
or by the rule number that defines them, or any combination of the two. 
iii) in addition to those responses deemed valid by section ii, a blank
list, or one which states that no gadgets should be debunked, is also a
valid response.
iv) the verdict is a list of gadgets for which the number of valid
responses to the hearing that included that gadget was equal to or
greater than three fifths the total number of valid responses.

At the conclusion of The Great Debunk if at least half of all active
voting players submitted a valid response, all gadgets listed in the
verdict are debunked.

One week after this rule is created it is repealed.
HERRING
- ----

{{The Great Debunk hearing is called}}

{{[The six gadgets I had in mind...
Gravitational Monopole (Rule 594.6)
Jukkasjarvi Mind Control Laser (Rule 594.8)
Bonus Vote Add-On (Rule 594.11)
Gimme Shelter (Rule 594.12)
Cheez-Whiz (Rule 594.14)
Pulse Laser (Rule 594.15)]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:30:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3325

Proposal 3325
The Senate
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

{{[before it gets repealed ;) it should prolly be made less of a Hubert
situation]}}

Rule 437 (Providing Meaning Where We Can) to replace the following
sentence:
- ----
All Calls last until the end of the next day after they were issued,
unless canceled by the President.
- ----
with:
- ----
All Calls last for three days after they were issued, unless canceled by
the President.
- ----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3326

Proposal 3326

K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Repeal Rule 424 (Poet Laureate)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:32:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3326

Proposal 3326
There's a place for those who love their poetry
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Repeal Rule 424 (Poet Laureate)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3327

Proposal 3327
May
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Writing it the way its played.]}}

Amend Section c of Rule 207.3 (Foolishness) that currently reads:
- -----
c) Either the player submitting the proposal was the author of the
previous proposal, or the player submitting the proposal gives proper
credit to the original author. If the original author is still a player
of  Ackanomic, it is considered good form to transfer some of the points
gained through the resubmitted proposal's Foolishness to em. 
- -----
to read:
- -----
c) The player submitting the proposal was the author of the previous
proposal.
- -----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:34:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3328

Proposal 3328
Treasured Treasure
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Its been used once and we weren't exactly buried ;) in undiscovered
treasure then. If it proves necessary in the future (IMVUHO) a better
implementation (ie more in the spirit of Treasure hunting) would be to
allow the treasure harfer to create a new, publically knowable map for
which all players would be eligible and to which any two players could
object...]}}

Amend Rule 1217 (Buried Treasure!) by delting the following "----"
delimited text:
- ----
IV. 

If there currently exist Treasures which have not yet been found, for
which no map custodian or map writer is a current player, and for which
both of the previous states have been true for more than 90 days, then
the Archaeologist has the prerogative of organizing an Expedition. They
announce an Expedition as a public action. Any treasure which meets the
three Treasure criteria defined in the first sentence is known as a
Historical Artefact. 

The Archaeologist is automatically a member of an expedition. Any active
player may become a member of an expedition by stating so as a public
action, and paying A$40 to the Treasury. When the Archaeologist
announces an Expedition, e may also specify a certain set of Treasures
which are not to be considered Historical Artefacts for the purposes of
this Expedition. 

An Expedition happens 3 days after it is announced, with the proviso
that if there are fewer than 3 players in the Expedition, it shall not
happen and all monies paid to gain membership in the Expedition shall be
refunded. At the time of the Expedition, if there are at least as many
Historical Artefacts as members of the Expedition, then the
Archaeologist will randomly determine one Historical Artefact to be
assigned to each member of the expedition, including emself. Each
Treasure assigned in this way is "found" by the player it is assigned
to. 

If, on the other hand, at the time of the Expedition there are more
Expedition members than Historical Artefacts, then the Archaeologist
shall randomly determine one expedition member to be assigned to each
Historical Artefact. Each player assigned shall find the Treasure they
are assigned to. 

Only one Expedition may be announced in any calendar month. 
- ----

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:35:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3329

Proposal 3329
Putting the "K 2 wins the /
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

current cycle" back into mimsy.
This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 250 (Players and Player States) to insert between items f and
g of section VI "Upon Becoming (and while) On Ice" the following item:
- ---
g) All of their mimsy entities are transferred to the treasury.
- ---
and reletter the list appropriately.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:38:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3330

Proposal 3330
Prop Dream
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This IS a modest proposal.

{{[Fiddling with the proposal scores
currently:
      Modest Non modest Grandiose
Accept|---------------------------
Author|  5        10        16
Anti  |  1        3         5
Reject|---------------------------
Author| -4(-3)    -7(-4)   -12(-7)
Anti  |  1         3         5
]}}

Amend Section III (Scoring on Proposals) of Rule 207 (Scoring When A
Proposal's Voting Results are Reported) to read:
"
III. Scoring on Proposals

If a Modest proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 5
points, and every player who voted NO on it receives 1 point. If a
Grandiose proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 10
points, and every player who voted NO on it receives 3 points. If a
proposal which is neither Modest nor Grandiose is accepted, the player
who proposed it receives 7 points, and every player who voted NO on it
receives 2 points.

If a Modest proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who
proposed it loses 4 points, and every player who voted YES on it
receives 1 point. If a Grandiose proposal is rejected, but meets quorum,
the player who proposed it loses 8 points, and every player who voted
YES on it receives 3 points. If a proposal which is neither Modest nor
Grandiose is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed it
loses 6 points, and every player who voted YES on it receives 2 points.
"

{{[Translation:
       Modest Non modest Grandiose
Accept|---------------------------
Author|  5        7         10
Anti  |  1        2         3
Reject|---------------------------
Author| -4(-3)   -6(-4)    -8(-5)
Anti  |  1        2         3
]}}

{{ K 2 loses 6 points. Vynd gains 6 points. }}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:39:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3331

Proposal 3331

K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Create a new rule titled "ASS song: Ode to Joy" as a member of the
"Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite" (Rule 950) with the text:
"
Title: Ode to Joy; Allegro assai, fr Symphony No. 9 in d, Op. 125,
Choral
Artist: Music by Beethoven
Trigger: Whenever a proposal has been accepted which was authored by a
player who had never had a proposal accepted before.
Effect:
i) Every player that voted yes on the proposal that triggered the song
gains one point.
ii) Any player who's score is within 5% of the happy number may change
eir score to the happy number as a public action.
iii) Whenever a player has a score which is exactly equal to the sad
number e gains one point.
Duration: Three Acka days.
Explanation: "That way, everyone's happy." [Terry Pratchett, Small Gods]
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3331

Proposal 3331
O Freunde, nicht diese Tone!
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Create a new rule titled "ASS song: Ode to Joy" as a member of the
"Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite" (Rule 950) with the text:
"
Title: Ode to Joy; Allegro assai, fr Symphony No. 9 in d, Op. 125,
Choral
Artist: Music by Beethoven
Trigger: Whenever a proposal has been accepted which was authored by a
player who had never had a proposal accepted before.
Effect:
i) Every player that voted yes on the proposal that triggered the song
gains one point.
ii) Any player who's score is within 5% of the happy number may change
eir score to the happy number as a public action.
iii) Whenever a player has a score which is exactly equal to the sad
number e gains one point.
Duration: Three Acka days.
Explanation: "That way, everyone's happy." [Terry Pratchett, Small Gods]
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:43:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3332

Proposal 3332
Guess where mum's gone
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

Modify rule 500.1 by replacing the following GHJ delimited text with the
following TREW delimited text:

GHJ
~.,'
GHJ

TREW
~.,'æÆþÞÐð
TREW

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:44:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3333

Proposal 3333
If at first you don't succeed...
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

{{[Warning: Repeals antivoting]}}

Modify rule 207 by replacing the following ZXCVBNM delimited text:

ZXCVBNM
III. Scoring on Proposals 

If a Modest proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 5
points, and every player who voted NO on it receives 1 point. If a Grandiose
proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 16 points, and
every player who voted NO on it receives 5 points. If a proposal which is
neither Modest nor Grandiose is accepted, the player who proposed it receives
10 points, and every player who voted NO on it receives 3 points. 

If a Modest proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed
it loses 4 points, and every player who voted YES on it receives 1 point. If
a Grandiose proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed
it loses 12 points, and every player who voted YES on it receives 5 points.
If a proposal which is neither Modest nor Grandiose is rejected, but meets
quorum, the player who proposed it loses 7 points, and every player who voted
YES on it receives 3 points. 

Voting NO on a proposal which is accepted, or voting YES on a proposal which
is rejected, is called "anti-voting". 

A proposal can only be declared to be Modest or Grandiose as defined by the
Rules. 
ZXCVBNM

with the following ASDFGHJKL delimited text:

ASDFGHJKL
III. Scoring on Proposals 

If a Modest proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 5
points. If a Grandiose proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it
receives 16 points. If a proposal which is neither Modest nor Grandiose is
accepted, the player who proposed it receives 10 points. 

If a Modest proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed
it loses 4 points. If a Grandiose proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the
player who proposed it loses 12 points. If a proposal which is neither Modest
nor Grandiose is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed it loses
7 points. 

A proposal can only be declared to be Modest or Grandiose as defined by the
Rules. 

All players who voted on any proposal receive one point.
ASDFGHJKL

{{[I know that I'm not going to be able to convince many of you that
antivoting is a bad thing so I won't even try, but this at least solves two
of the problems people have pointed out. It keeps the incentive for voting,
and it doesn't risk ruining the "economy".]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:45:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3334

Proposal 3334
proposal submit
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Remove the following text from Rule 950.3 (ASS Song: Werewolves of
London)
"
b) it is determined that a player is being followed by the B-Ack,
"
and reletter the list from which it was removed.

Repeal Rule 961 (Curse of the B-Ack).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3335

Proposal 3335
Punish The Unworthy
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.
{{[It will prolly be a Boring Proposal as well ;)]}}

Amend the paragraph of Rule 1250.22 (Bacon) wich currently reads:
"
If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e
may challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted. The
referee will check each link in the Movie Database, and determine
whether the chain is valid. Otherwise, a chain will be assumed
to valid if it goes unchallenged for the three days. (If a player did
not submit a Bacon chain for that round, then eir chain is
considered invalid.)
"
to read:
"
If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e
may challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted. The
referee will check each link in the Movie Database, and determine
whether the chain is valid. If the chain is shown to be invalid, the
player who challenged it gains one gamepoint, however, if the chain is
shown to be valid its author shall gain one gamepoint. A chain will be
assumed to valid if it goes unchallenged for the three days. (If a
player did not submit a Bacon chain for that round, then eir chain is
considered invalid.)
"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:54:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3336

Proposal 3336
She Set Your Goldfish Free
Publius (Brandon Ray)

This is a modest proposal.

Rule 211 is amended as follows:

After the phrase: “Any CFJ whose statement is substantially similar, or
whose negative is substantially similar, to the statement of another CFJ
submitted by the same player within the past week, in the judgement of
the judge, shall be judged Invalid. This applies even in the case that
the previously submitted CFJ was retracted by the player in question.”

Add the following JUSTICE delimited text:

JUSTICE
However, the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if the prior
CFJ was declared Invalid by the Clerk of Court due to a lack of eligible
judges, as provided in Rule 212.
JUSTICE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3337

Proposal 3337
To define Name Gaming as Annoying
Publius (Brandon Ray)

This is a modest proposal.

Add the following to the end of Rule 721:

VI.  Name Gaming

Attempting to adopt an Ackanomic name which is substantially similar, in
the opinion of the Registrar, to the real name of any current or former
player of Ackanomic, regardless of the status of that current or former
player, is Annoying.  It is also Confusing.

{{Within seven days of this Rule taking effect, the Registrar shall make
Public Notice as to which Ackanomic names currently in use e deems to be
substantially similar to the real name of any current or former player
of Ackanomic.  Within seven days of that Public Notice, the player(s)
using the Ackanomic names listed in the Public Notice must change those
Ackanomic names to legal names.  Failure to do so is Annoying, as well
as Stubborn.}}

In addition to or in place of other penalties which may be prescribed in
the Rules, the Registrar may penalize those e finds in violation of Rule
721, Section VI, by changing eir Ackanomic names to a random word chosen
from an unabridged dictionary, and posting this change as a Public
Notice.  An Ackanomic name changed in this manner may not be changed
again for such period as the Registrar may prescribe (but such period
shall not be greater than 30 days).  The Registrar may take the actions
described in this paragraph regardless of whether there has been a CFJ
or CFCJ, and regardless of the status or verdict of any CFJ or CFCJ,
unless the verdict specifically orders im not to do so, or specifically
orders that the disputed Ackanomic name be restored.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:56:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3338

Proposal 3338
A name is a name
JT (JT Traub)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 251 (Player Names) as follows
Insert the following NAMES delimited text
NAMES
No player may choose as their Ackanomic name the Real Life name of any
current or former player at the time they make this choice.
NAMES

{{
   If the player with the Real Life Name of Tom Walmsley has the Ackanomic
   Name of 'Eric Plumb' or any anagram thereof, that player is renamed to
   Mr. Tambourine Man.
}}
{{
   If the player with the Real Life Name of Eric Plumb has the Ackanomic
   Name of 'Tom Walmsley' or any anagram thereof, that player is renamed
   to 867-5309.
}}

{{[
   I believe this allows any existing player who has their own RL name or
   the RL name of some unknown future player to keep that name, as well
   as preventing new players or existing players from taking on the RL
   name of other players, which I consider to be a bad idea.
   The final two one-time actions are done merely to reset the two names
   which prompted this proposal to the names prior to their most recent
   change, including negating any use of Blue Things to circumvent this.
]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:57:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3339

Proposal 3339
Tweak the CFJ Procedure
Publius (Brandon Ray)

This is a modest proposal.

Rule 211 is amended as follows:

After the phrase: “Any CFJ whose statement is substantially similar, or
whose negative is substantially similar, to the statement of another CFJ
submitted by the same player within the past week, in the judgement of
the judge, shall be judged Invalid. This applies even in the case that
the previously submitted CFJ was retracted by the player in question.”

Add the following JUSTICE delimited text:

JUSTICE
However, the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if the prior
CFJ was declared Invalid by the Clerk of Court due to a lack of eligible
judges, as provided in Rule 212.
JUSTICE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:58:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3340

Proposal 3340
To define and prohibit Name Gaming
Publius (Brandon Ray)

This is a modest proposal.

Add the following to the end of Rule 721:

VI.  Name Gaming

Attempting to adopt an Ackanomic name which is substantially similar, in
the opinion of the Registrar, to the real name of any current or former
player of Ackanomic, regardless of the status of that current or former
player, is Annoying.  It is also Confusing.

{{Within seven days of this Rule taking effect, the Registrar shall make
Public Notice as to which Ackanomic names currently in use e deems to be
substantially similar to the real name of any current or former player
of Ackanomic.  Within seven days of that Public Notice, the player(s)
using the Ackanomic names listed in the Public Notice must change those
Ackanomic names to legal names.  Failure to do so is Annoying, as well
as Stubborn.}}

In addition to or in place of other penalties which may be prescribed in
the Rules, the Registrar may penalize those e finds in violation of Rule
721, Section VI, by changing eir Ackanomic names to a random word chosen
from an unabridged dictionary, and posting this change as a Public
Notice.  An Ackanomic name changed in this manner may not be changed
again for such period as the Registrar may prescribe (but such period
shall not be greater than 30 days).  The Registrar may take the actions
described in this paragraph regardless of whether there has been a CFJ
or CFCJ, and regardless of the status or verdict of any CFJ or CFCJ,
unless the verdict specifically orders im not to do so, or specifically
orders that the disputed Ackanomic name be restored.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:59:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3341

Proposal 3341
A Million Household Uses
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Amend Rule 1155, "Colours", by replacing "grey; indigo" with
"grey; harf; indigo".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Walmsley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract P3332. The only reason I made it was because I was bored.

MTM.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #114
*********************************