Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #111
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Wednesday, July 22 1998      Volume 03 : Number 111

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:56:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3297 accepted

Results of Proposal 3297

16/21 votes: Quorum achieved
10/13 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Wild Card            (SPAM)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Attila the Pun
breadbox

    NO:
JT                   (Boomerangs)
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
Ethelred

    BAA!:
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
IdiotBoy

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3297 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:42 EDT
> Don't say it if you don't mean it
> K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> 
> Amend Section IV of Rule 340 "Conventions" which reads:
> IV. Text delimited by square brackets [e.g. this] is a note. Notes have no
> semantic meaning.
> to read:
> IV. Except in Public Messages, text delimited by square brackets [e.g.
> this] is a note. Notes have no semantic meaning.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3298 rejected

Results of Proposal 3298

16/21 votes: Quorum achieved
7/18 YES votes: Proposal rejected

    YES:
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Bonus Vote                              [JT used a Bonus Vote]
Bonus Vote                              [Niccolo Flychuck used a Bonus Vote]

    NO:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Wild Card            (SPAM)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
breadbox
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
Ethelred
Bonus Vote                              [K 2 used a Bonus Vote]
Tammany                                 [JT bribed Tammany A$50 (YES)]
                                        [867-5309 bribed Tammany A$50 (NO)]
                                        [K 2 bribed Tammany A$26 (NO)]

    BAA!:
Attila the Pun
IdiotBoy

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3298 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:43 EDT
> some small repeals
> JT (JT Traub)
> 
> This is a modest proposal.
> 
> {{[I realize that these are similar to some other proposals, but I voted
> against those for the primary reason that they should have been bundled
> into one instead of trying to scam lots and lots of points through seperate
> props.]}}
> 
> Repeal rule 1390.1 {{[Wibble]}} {{[null effect rule]}}
> Repeal rule 1317 {{[Codex of Kra]}} {{[has been used at all recently?]}}
> Repeal rule 1308 {{[Bracket/Smiley Pedantry]}}
> Repeal rule 1307 {{[Ackanomic Middle Ages]}}
> Repeal rule 1307.1 {{[The Color Black]}}
> Repeal rule 1142 {{[Reincarnating Into The Third Cat]}}
> Repeal rule 1127 {{[Sanctity of Harf]}}
> Repeal rule 1125 {{[Committee for the Protection, Preservation, and
> Integrity of the Arts]}}
> Repeal rule 1123 {{[snowgod's disease]}}
> Repeal rule 961 {{[curse of the B-ack]}} {{[It's rarely used anyway.]}}
> Repeal rule 594.23 {{[Nyarlathotep]}}
> Repeal rule 319 {{[Unanimity Is Lovely]}}
> Repeal rule 42 {{[The Oldest Rule in the Book]}} {{[null effect rule]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:59:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3299 accepted

Results of Proposal 3299

15/21 votes: Quorum achieved
8/12 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Ethelred

    NO:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)

    BAA!:
Wild Card            (SPAM)
Attila the Pun
IdiotBoy

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
breadbox
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3299 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:44 EDT
> Small robe change
> JT (JT Traub)
> 
> {{[Upon the owner of the robe recieving a bronze torch, the robe goes
> somewhere else.]}}
> Amend rule 933 (Purple Robe of Justice) by appending the following TORCH
> delimited text.
> TORCH
> When a player recieves a Bronze Torch, if they possess the Purple Robe of
> Justice, it goes Somewhere Else
> TORCH

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:00:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3300 accepted

Results of Proposal 3300

15/21 votes: Quorum achieved
15/15 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Attila the Pun
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
IdiotBoy
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Ethelred
MetaMorph Unity Vote

    NO:

    BAA!:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
breadbox
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3300 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:45 EDT
> Tor, Pray!
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> {{[ I think the Office of Praetor is no longer truly necessary. ]}}
> 
> Amend Rule 416, "Supreme Court", as follows:
> 
> If Proposal 3252 was not accepted, replace the sentence "Only those players
> eligible to be Praetor are eligible to be Justices, except that a player
> holding a seat in the Office of Justice is always eligible to hold that
> seat." with
> 
> "To be eligible for the Office of Justice, a player must be active and one
> or more of the following:
> 
> a) a Bronze Torch holder
> b) the owner of a Gold Stripe or Ruby Slipper
> c) a former or current Supreme Court Justice
> d) enshrined in the Hall of Elders
> "
> 
> Delete the sentence "The Praetor or Acting Praetor shall be an Acting
> Justice whenever there is a vacancy in the Supreme Court."
> 
> Delete the sentence "If there are no Justices eligible to double as Acting
> Justices, then the Praetor or Acting Praetor shall fill that Justice's seat
> as an Acting Justice."
> 
> Amend Rule 213, "Delivering Judgement" by replacing "to be assigned to the
> Praetor" to "to be reassigned to another random judge".
> 
> Amend Rule 217, "Overturning Judgements", by deleting the last paragraph of
> Section I {{[ which describes how CFJs may reach the Supreme Court via the
> Preator ]}}, and deleting from Section IV. the text ", or a verdict on an
> appeal of a CFJ originally submitted to the Supreme Court by the Praetor".
> 
> Amend Rule 250, "Players and Player States", as follows: delete the text
> "does not go to the Praetor but" in IV.a)
> 
> Repeal Rule 425, "Praetor".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3301 accepted

Results of Proposal 3301

15/21 votes: Quorum achieved
13/14 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
IdiotBoy
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Ethelred
MetaMorph Unity Vote

    NO:
else...if            (Klingon)

    BAA!:
Wild Card            (SPAM)
Attila the Pun

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
breadbox
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3301 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:46 EDT
> The Franklin Expedition
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Amend Rule 1240.17 as follows: Rename the Rule to "Otzma Card of type
> Arctic Explorer", and replace "Grave Robber" with "Arctic Explorer"
> everywhere is appears in the Rule.
> 
> Replace the word "Shovel" with "Ice Pick" wherever it appears in the Rule.
> {{[ Since in most cases, except for the Pulse Shovel, recreating an Ice
> Pick is trivial, and I don't want to change the Silver Shovel or anything,
> I won't transform all Shovels into Ice Picks, as I was half-tempted to. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:02:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3302 accepted

Results of Proposal 3302

15/21 votes: Quorum achieved
14/16 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Wild Card            (SPAM)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
867-5309             (Boomerangs)
IdiotBoy
J. M. Bear           (MetaMorph)
Ethelred
MetaMorph Unity Vote

    NO:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Attila the Pun

    BAA!:

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
breadbox
two-star
Fortunato
Koxvolio             (Harf)

    INACTIVE:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Mr. Tambourine Man   (Klingon)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Ayla
Horny Protoceratops

    NEVER VOTED:
Zaknafein Dourden

> Proposal 3302 - Sun 12 Jul 1998 06:47 EDT
> Towers Crumble
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Amend Rule 411, "Senate", by appending to the Rule the following
> paragraph(delimited by TONIGHT):
> 
> TONIGHT
> A Senator may, if e has not already done so in eir current Term of Office,
> rename eir Seat. E does so by announcing the new name(which must satisfy
> all the Rules for entity names), and paying the Standard Harfer Fee.
> TONIGHT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:20:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3309

Proposal 3309
The Bifurcation of the Goose
Attila the Pun (Micah Smukler)

{{[Idea: stop people from winning infinitely if more than one person can
do so. Semi-strange format is because
I don't know quite what the text of R620 is right now.]}}

Amend Rule 620 ("Chartreuse Goose") in the following ways:

I. Append to the end of the rule the text "This rule has no effect on
the Game of Ackanomic, other than that
caused by this sentence."

II. Replace the texts "the Chartreuse Goose" and "the Goose" with "a
Goose" wherever they occur in the rule.

III. Replace the texts "The Chartreuse Goose" and "The Goose" with "a
Goose" wherever they occur in the rule.

IV. Replace the first sentence of the rule with the following
THING-delimited text.

THING
Let a unique, nontradeable, non-mimsy entity exist named the Chartreuse
Goose. Let a class of nontradeable, 
unnamed entities known as Chartreuse Goslings exist. Let a unique entity
known as the Chartreuse Beacon exist.
There are at all times a number of Chartreuse Goslings equal to one less
than the number of players of 
Ackanomic. {{Initially all Chartreuse Goslings are Somewhere Else, as is
the Chartreuse Beacon.}}

The Chartreuse Goose and the Chartreuse Goslings are collectively known
as Geese; for the remainder of this 
rule, any reference to a Goose means "either the Chartreuse Goose or a
Chartreuse Gosling."

If at any time any Goose goes Somewhere Else, all other Geese go
Somewhere Else as well.

If at any time a player legally transfers a Chartreuse Gosling to
another player, the following events occur, 
in the given order:

1) The Chartreuse Beacon is transferred to the player to whom a
Chartreuse Gosling was most recently
transferred.
2) All Chartreuse Goslings go Somewhere Else.
3) The Chartreuse Goose is transferred to the player who owns the
Chartreuse Beacon.
4) The Chartreuse Beacon goes Somewhere Else.
THING

V. Remove the sentence "This rule has no effect on the Game of
Ackanomic, other than that
caused by this sentence." from the rule.

Amend Rule 666 ("End of Cycle") by inserting the following
OTHERTHING-delimited text immediately after
the sentence "If the game state is such that the single winner of the
last cycle would immediately win 
again upon the resumption of Ackanomic play, the Chartreuse Goose is
transferred to that player.":

OTHERTHING
If the game state is such that, upon the resumption of Ackanomic play,
any player with a pending
Cycle Win CFJ would achieve a Winning Condition, all such players gain
Chartreuse Goslings.
OTHERTHING

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3310

Proposal 3310
It Takes Two To Tango
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Create a new Rule, numbered 775, named "Vagueness", with text as
follows(delimited by SEQ):

SEQ
It is a crime to talk in a public dorum about publicly unknowable things.
SEQ

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3311

Proposal 3311
I'll Try A Cooler Scam Next Time
Vynd (John McCoy)

{{[This time it really is for real.]}}

Amend Rule 1217 Buried treasure! by adding the following sentence as a
seperate paragraph at the end of the rule:  The word "map" as used in this
rule, refers only to Treasure Maps.

Amend Rule 835 Locations in the following QUADRANGLE delimited manner.

QUADRANGLE

Renumber the Rule to 810.

Delete section 6), 6a) and 6b), replace them with the following: 6) If a
player leaves a Location without specifying a destination, or their
location is otherwise undefined, and they cannot go to their Home, then
they go to The Wilds of Ackanomic.

In section 7a), replace "deep in the wilds" with deep in The Wilds of
Ackanomic.

In section 7b), replace 836 with 812.

QUADRANGLE

Renumber Rule 836 Down the River to 812.

Create a new Rule 801, entitled Geography, with the following MCNALLY
delimited text.

MCNALLY

The geography of Ackanomic is, for the most part, a mystery to its
inhabitants.  Few maps have survived from the time of the Ancients.
Frequent earthquakes and the treacherous Wilds of Ackanomic make
exploration and cartography difficult.  What little is known is described
in this and other Rules.

Ackanomic consists of many regions.  A region is a collection of locations
which are close to each other in Ackanomic.  No single location can be
found in more than one region.  Locations are all assumed to be in the
City, unless specified otherwise.  If it is clear from context that a
location is not in the City, but its exact region is unclear, then it is
in The Outer Territories. Regions are not themselves locations, no region
can be inside, or part of, another region.

The center of Ackanomic is The Lonely Mountain, which is a location that
owns itself.  The Lonely Mountain can be found on a Kaa of land in the
City, which it also owns.  No player may visit, own, or otherwise alter
The Lonely Mountain and its Kaa unless explicitly permited to by the Rules.

If a player or other entity enters, voluntarily or otherwise, a region,
without having a location specified as their destination, then they go to
the default location for that region, or one of them, chosen at random,
if there is more than one. If the region has no default location, then
that attempt to enter it fails.

The City is a region of Ackanomic located the area surrounding The Lonely
Mountain. It is where all  Kaas of Land and all Buildings are located,
unless otherwise specified by the Rules. The default location for the City
is the Library.

The Wilds of Ackanomic are a region which surrounds the City. Full of
strange plants and animals, they can be quite dangerous to visit.
The default location for The Wilds of Ackanomic is the wilds, which is a
very large common location that consists of all the land in The Wilds of
Ackanomic that is not specified to be a location of its own.

Beyond the Wilds of Ackanomic is the region known only as the Outer
Territories.

{{[The basic purpose of this rule would be to establish the locations of
Locations.  I think the three regions I've introduced cover everything we
know about Acka thus far, except perhaps Moons and space, which I'd rather
leave alone simply because this is probably too big of a proposal
already.  For similiar reasons, I've left the definitions of the regions
vague and thus avoided having to rewrite another half dozen rules.]}}

MCNALLY

Create a new Rule 820, entitled Land, with the following
BLAH delimited text.

BLAH
Kaas of Land are tradeable entities.  A Kaa of Land is one Kaa in size.
Kaas of Land are all seperate Locations, located in the City.  Kaas of
Land are Common Locations unless specified otherwise.  Unowned Kaas of
Land are also known as common land.  The exact number of Kaas in the City
varies, as earthquakes and other developments can create and destroy them.
There are never less than 144 Kaas, however.  Kaas are never in the
Treasury, even if unowned.

Kaas of Land have positions relative to each other.  They are square
in shape, and arranged in a grid pattern, which is itself square.  Thus
every Kaa is bordered on all 4 sides by another Kaa of land, or by another
Location specified by the Rules.

Since ancient times, the peoples of Acka have used The Lonely Mountain, at
the center of Ackanomic, as their reference for describing the positions
of Kaas.  Each Kaa can be refered to through the use of a coordinate
system with The Lonely Mountain at the center.  The coordinates of a Kaa
of land are how many kaas to the North, or South, the Kaa is from The
Lonely Mountain, prefaced by an N if it is North or an S if it is South.
This is followed by a second number, the number of kaas to the East or
West the Kaa is from The Lonely Mountain, prefaced by an E for East or W
for West.  Thus a Kaa which is 4 kaas North and 3 kaas West of The Lonely
Mountain has the coordinates of (N4 W3).  If a kaa is directly East or
West of The Lonely Mountain, then the first number of its coordinates is a
zero, prefaced by an N.  If a Kaa of Land is directly North or South of
The Lonely Mountain, then the second number of its coordiantes is zero,
prefaced by a W.  The Lonely Mountain's coordinates are always (N0 W0).

BLAH

Create a new Rule numbered 821, with the title Real Estate, with the
following $$$ delimited text.

$$$
A player may purchase an empty, unowned Kaa of Land for A$50.  He must 
specify the position of this Kaa, in terms of its coordinates.

A player may purchase an unowned Kaa of land with a building on it only if
that building is not mentioned in the Rules.  The cost of this land is
A$50 plus half the cost of the building (including the cost of any towers)
on that land. If purchasing a Kaa of land would cause the building on it
to be destroyed, then the player must instead pay A$50 plus the cost of
the destruction of the building to purchase the Kaa.

Players may sell Kaas that they own to the Treasury for A$25 each. They
cannot sell a Kaa in this manner that has a building on it, unless they
are selling all of the Kaas on which that building is located.
$$$

{{[This essentially replaces the Land Baroncy rule.  It eliminates Senate
approval of purchases, something I never saw any reason for.  It does
include a number of restrictions, most importantly one preventing people
from buying things like the Senate or the Hall of Elders.  I've
included the ability to sell back unwanted Kaas.]}}

Amend Rule 839 Buildings by applying the following ARGH delimited changes.

ARGH
Renumber the Rule to 825.

Replace "A building is a class of entity in Ackanomic which can be of six
sizes:" with "Buildings are a class of entities, they are also locations.
When created, each building requires a number of Kaas which are not
occupied by another building (empty), and are contiguous, on which the
building is placed.  The number of Kaas depends on the size of the
building.  There are 6 possible sizes for buildings, listed below along
with the number of Kaas of space they take up:"

Insert a new paragraph between the paragraph ending with "extravagant (12
land units)" and the one begining with "A player may own" that reads:
Buildings are attached to the Kaas on which they have been built.  They
cannot be removed from them or otherwise altered except as specified in
the rules.

Delete the last sentence from the paragraph begining with: The Senate

{{[now part of a new rule]}}

Add the following text to the end of paragraph begining with "A player may
change the name":  A player may post a description of a building he owns
at any time.  This then becomes the description of that building, provided
that the description is in accordance with the Rules.  Giving a
description of a building which is not in accordance with the Rules is the
Crime of Acting Like a Realtor.

{{[This doesn't really change anything significant, but it does
consolidate to some extent the Rules on buildings.  The next set of
changes sets up a Rule dealing with building purchases.  I think the
prices should probably be changed, but I'll leave that for another
time.]}}

ARGH

Renumber Rule 846 Constructions and Architectual Aesthetic to 826, and
make the following GRANDE delimited changes to its text.

GRANDE
Delete the last three paragraphs and replace them with the following text:

When purchasing a new building, a player must unambiguously specify a Kaa
or Kaas of land on which the building will be placed.  He must also
specify the size of the building and pay the construction cost for a
building of said size.  Construction of a building is only successful if
the player purchasing the building specifies sufficient contiguous, empty
land, owned by himself, for the new building to fit. If he does not,
construction fails, and his A$ is returned.  If it succeeds, the building
is created in the specified location, owned by the purchasing player.

If a building is destroyed, it and any towers attached to it no longer
exist. If a building is damaged, it can be repaired by paying the
rebuilding cost.  For the cost of an upgrade, a player may increase the
size of a building he owns to the next largest size, provided that he
specifies a sufficient number of empty Kaas which he owns that are
contiguous to the current location of the building for the larger
building. {{[Damn you K 2]}} Extravagant buildings cannot be upgraded. No
player may destroy, rebuild, or upgrade a building he does not own, except
as described in the rules.

GRANDE

Amend Rule 841 Towers by replacing the string "An Ostentatious Tower is a
tower that a player adds to a building they own" in section 1) with: An
Ostentatious Tower is a tower that a player adds to a building they own,
or builds as a stand-alone tower not attached to any building

Amend Rule 841 Towers by deleting the last sentence of section 3) and
replacing it with the following REALTALL delimited text:

REALTALL
Towers that are added to buildings are considered to be attached to those
buildings.  A tower may only be attached to one building.  Towers are
always owned by the owner of the land on which they are built, or the
owner of the building to which they are attached.  Towers cannot be
removed from buildings to which they are attached, or be attached to a
building after they have been built as a stand-alone.  Towers cannot be
attached to other towers.
REALTALL

Amend Rule 841 by adding the following PARROT delimited text to the end
of section 6):

PARROT
A stand-alone tower's size is small if it is less than 70 meters in
height, cosy if it is 140 to 559 meters in height, classy if it is 560 or
more meters in height.  Regardless of their size, stand-alone towers
require only 1 Kaa of land.  Towers attached to buildings do not effect
the size of the building in any way.
PARROT

{{[these two changes give towers a little more connectedness with
buildings, and better defines free-standing towers.]}}

Repeal Rule 844 Land Baroncy {{[My original goal.]}}

Create a new Rule, numbered 843, with the title Maps, and the following
YIPPE delimted text:

YIPPE

Maps are a class of unownable named entities.  Maps are depictions of the
physical layout of places in the Game of Ackanomic.  The rules may call
for certain maps to be publicly displayed.  If this is the case, then the
officer responsible for that map must maintain a WWW page with an copy of
said map.  The recommended medium is HTML with clickable images/cgi, but
any clear representation, including a text description, is acceptable
so long as it is accurate.  If applicable, the map should include links to
other relevant material, such as its contents or other maps. 

YIPPE

Create a new Rule 844 Here There Be Dragons, with the following
XERXES delimited text:

XERXES

The Map of Ackanomic is a map of the earth as it is known [described in
the rules].  It is maintained by the Map-Harfer, who is permitted to
change it as necessary to reflect new discoveries.  The Map of Ackanomic
is not overly detailed, but at a minimum it must depict any regions found
on the surface of the earth.  The Map-Harfer is permitted to fill any
blank areas of the Map of Ackanomic with wild speculations about the
nature of said areas, but these speculations are almost certainly wrong.

XERXES

Rename Rule 845 Map to Map of the City.  Then amend this rule to read in
the following CROUTON delimited manner:

CROUTON

{{The Map of Ackanomia is renamed to The Map of the City.}}

The Map of the City is a map which represents the region of Ackanomic
known as the City.  It should display all locations found within the
City (that are not themselves within another location).  This includes,
but is not limited to, Kaas of land, Buildings, and Towers.  The Map of
the City should also represent in some way whatever lies immediately
outside the bounds of the City, if anything.  The City itself is always
square, and the Lonely Mountain is always as close to the center of the
City as possible, given other limitations.

The Map-harfer is the officer in charge of the Map of the City, and is
responsible for maintaining its accuracy.  If a location is known to be in
the City, but exactly where it is in the city is unknown, then it is
the duty of the Map-harfer to specify a place on the map for that
location.

CROUTON

Create a new Rule 847, entitled Earthquakes, with the following RICHTER
delimited text:

RICHTER

Ackanomic, especially in the region of the City, is distressingly prone to
earthquakes.  These earthquakes are constantly reshaping the land,
requiring constant updating of maps.  Whenever an earthquake occurs, all
hell will break loose, fire shall rain from the sky, and the earth will 
be rent with gigantic chasms.  All players shall scream in terror and run
around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Earthquakes can be triggered by any number of events.  When an
earthquake is triggered, it will occur when it is publicly announced that
an earthquake has hit Ackanomic.  Such announcements may only be made in
accordance with the Rules.  After an earthquake, it is the duty of the
Map-harfer to formulate a new map of the City and place it on display as
described in this rule. The new map must contain all the locations present
on the old map, but their positions may be changed in any way the
Map-harfer sees fit, so long as he obeys the following guidelines:

1) Buildings remain on the same Kaas on which they were built (although
the position of the Kaas may be changed).
2) A set of Kaas with a Building on them must remain contiguous.
3) Locations whose positions are specified in the Rules must remain in
those positions.

The Map-harfer has 7 days to prepare and publically display this new map.
It is permissible for the new map to be identical with the old map.  Once
the map is on public display, the Map-harfer must announce that Business
as Usual has resumed.  Until he does so, no player may purchase or sell
land or buildings.

There is a special type of earthquake which is called a Really Bad
Earthquake. They are identical to regular earthquakes in most respects,
but they are triggered by slightly different circumstances, and do have
slightly different effects.  Really Bad Earthquakes differ from regular
earthquakes in the following ways: After Really Bad Earthquakes
the Map-harfer has 10 days to prepare the new map rather than 7, but the
new map must not be the same as the old map. Nor may the new map be
such that another Really Bad Earthquake would immediately be triggered
by this Rule. The Map-Harfer may author a CSR within three days of
announcing that a Really Bad Earthquake has occured, he should restrict
this CSR to altering the Rules in regards to Locations.  Really Bad
Earthquakes have the ability to add or remove new unowned Kaas to the
outside edge of the City, so long as the City remains square.

A Really Bad Earthquake is triggered by any of the following events, this
list is not exclusive:

There are fewer then 10 unowned Kaas of land in the City.

There are fewer then 4 contiguous unowned Kaas of land in the City.

Less than half of the Kaas of land in the City are owned.

The Rules call for Kaas to be given to a player or other entity, but there
are insufficient Kaas available on the Map [Such as a new player joining
but there being no empty Kaas available]. If this triggers a Really Bad
Earthquake, then the player or entity will not be given his Kaas until
after Business as Usual has resumed.

The above provisions notwithstanding, a Really Bad Earthquake cannot
remove Kaas of land which have owned buildings on them, or buildings
mentioned in the Rules, or Kaas mentioned in the Rules.  Nor may they
remove so many Kaas of land that the City has fewer less than 144 Kaas of
land within it. Really Bad Earthquakes cannot alter locations in the City
other than Kaas (and the buildings found therein), except by changing
their position on the Map of the City (in the same manner as a normal
earthquake).

This Rule has precedence in matters concerning earthquakes, maps, and
land, over all other rules.

RICHTER

Amend Rule 423 Map-Harfer to have the following MOXIE delimited text:

MOXIE

The Office of Map-Harfer is a Functional Office.

The duties of the Map-Harfer include:

a) To maintain and make publically available a list of the locations of
all entities, including players, for which locations are known or
specified.

b) To maintain the Map of Ackanomic, and the Map of the City, as specified
in the Rules.

c) To maintain any other maps which do not have another Officer assigned
to maintain them.

d) To announce when an earthquake or Really Bad Earthquake has been
triggered, in accordance with the Rules, at which point that Earthquake
occurs, unless the Rules specify another Officer to announce the ocurance
of a particular earthquake [In other words, the Map-harfer announces
earthquakes that no one else announces].

The priviliges of the Map-harfer include the following, they may also be
exercised by Acting Map-Harfers:

1) To appoint Assistant Map-Harfers to assist his in the execution of
duties b) and c) above.

2) The Map-Harfer may, by public announcement, cause an earthquake to
occur, provided he has not exercised this ability within the last 7 days.
This is in addition to announcing the ocurance of earthquakes as per duty
d) above.

A Really Bad Earthquake is triggered when this sentence is added to a
Rule, this sentence then deletes itself.

MOXIE

Amend Rule 975 Yes Virginia by replacing the second paragraph with the
following:

The Voting Gnome has a home.  It is located on a plot of land at the
extreme northern end of Ackanomic called the North Stick.  The home itself
is a cozy building, with a 40 meter tower that looks suspiciously like a
chimney.  It is named The Voting Gnome's Workshop.  The North Stick and
The Voting Gnome's Workshop are both Locations, but they are not common
locations.  They are both owned by the Voting Gnome.  Whenever the Voting
Gnome's location is not otherwise specified, he is in his home.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:27:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3312

Proposal 3312
SPQR
Vynd (John McCoy)

Create a new Rule, numbered 199, entitled Numbers

{{Replace all numbers in all official Ackanomic documents with their
representation in Roman numerals.}}

The official numerical system of Ackanomic is that of the Romans.  All
numbers in all Ackanomic documents are to be presented in Roman numerals,
if numbers from another numerical system are present in Ackanomic, they
are without meaning.

All official Ackanomic business, including but not limited to trading and
public actions, are to be conducted with the use of Roman numerals, as
opposed to any other type of numerals.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3313

Proposal 3313
Mainly just tidying up
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

Modify rule 550.1 by deleting the text "1 honour : Becoming the caped
crusader. "

Modify rule 550.2 by deleting the text "1 Honour: Losing the office of Caped
Crusader "

In rule 1040 replace "1. The NAP Swinger's Office is filled by general
election as described in the rules with the following exceptions: " with "1.
The NAP Swinger's Office is an optional political office and is filled by
general election as described in the rules with the following exceptions:"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3314

Proposal 3314
Eleusis fixings
JT (JT Traub)

{{[After watching the first couple of games of Eleusis, I want to fix the
problems that I've seen.  Namely that the game halts when a player goes
inactive.]}}

Amend rule 1250.23 (Eleusis) as follows.

In part 5, section f, replace the following text (delimited by OLD)
OLD
If the player doesn't publicly submit a play within 3 days of it becoming
their turn, they will be deemed to have played 'No Play' and Deus (or the
Referee) will reveal their cards.
OLD
with the following text (delimited by NEW)
NEW
If a player doesn't publically submit a play within 3 days of it becoming
their turn, the Deus (or Referee) will choose a card from their hand at
random and play it for the delinquent player.
NEW
{{[This lowers the penalties for being slightly late in play]}}

Amend part 5, section i, subsection 1 by appending the following FIXUP
delimited text to the end.
FIXUP
If the prophet fails to make a call within 3 days, the prophet shall be
deemed to have judged the play as correct.
FIXUP

Replace part 8 of the rule which currently reads as delimited by OLD
OLD
Any player who becomes absent without appointing a substitute causes the
game to pause. When the game is paused, any other player of Ackanomic who
is not already a player in that game of Eleusis may volunteer to fill in,
assuming the missing players Gamepoints and game position. If the Deus
becomes absent without appointing a substitute and there is a Referee,
Deus must pass the private rule on to the Referee and the round continues
without pausing the game. If there is no Referee, then the round will end
and players will be scored as if the round had ended normally (except no
one gets the bonus for 0 cards). If the Deus appoints a substitute, then
he passes the private rule on to that substitute and play proceeds
normally.  If no substitute for the Deus was named, the game is paused
after the current round is scored until a new player joins.
OLD
with the following NEW delimited text
NEW
When a player goes inactive, they may appoint another player as their
substitute in the game with the substitute's consent.  If a player goes
inactive without appointing a substitute and they are not the Deus, then
they will make the default moves as defined above (playing a random card
or calling a play correct in the case of the prophet).  If the player is
the Deus and they didn't appoint a substitue and there is a referree then
the Referree shall be the substitute for the Deus.  If the player going
inactive is the Deus, they must notify their substitute of the secret rule
before they go inactive.  If the Deus fails to notify their substitute of
the rule or if there is no substitute then the round ends and players will
be scored as if the round had ended by normal means.
When a player is inactive, any other active player of Ackanomic may take
their place within the Eleusis game provided that the new player is not
already a player in that Eleusis game.
NEW
{{Both game 1 and game 2 of Eleusis continue play using the new rules}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3315

Proposal 3315
Minor Fictionary Changes
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Modify rule 1250.10 by replacing: 

"Players on vacation are replaced by bots who perform the default actions in
their stead (but the players receive all scoring as a result of the bot's
play). A player going on vacation may have a volunteer play in their place if
they can find such a person, however."

with:

"Players on vacation are replaced by bots who perform the default actions in
their stead (but the players receive all scoring as a result of the bot's
play except that the vacationing player loses no points for default actions).
A player going on vacation may have a volunteer play in their place if they
can find such a person, however. If a player is on vacation, and has a bot
playing for them, when it is eir turn to become brainiac then they do not
fill this position which instead skips to the next player."

In addition replace:

"3) Players may not look up the Ing Word (or any of the definitions), in any
dictionary until its definition is disclosed, or until adjudication of step 5
is required. "

with:

"3) Players may not look up the Ing Word (or any of the definitions) in any
dictionary, nor by any other means, except gameplay, attempt to find such a
thing [e.g. by asking other people], until its definition is disclosed, or
until adjudication of step 5 is required. 

{{The author of the proposal that appended this text to the rules loses one
point [I may have changed my name back to TGW by that point]. Slakko gains
one point. [way back in the mists of time Slakko attempted to do the latter
bit of what I am attempting with this proposal]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #111
*********************************