Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #89
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest        Sunday, May 31 1998        Volume 03 : Number 089

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3160

Proposal 3160
Mimsy repeal
JT (JT Traub)

This is a modest proposal.
{{[The mimsy state of objects doesn't really seem to have much effect on
anything except the wool sweaters and the chartruese goose.  The state
seems to be a legacy holdover from earlier days, and so this attempts to
remove it.  The one effect of it that needed to be kept was making sure
the goose stayed with a player that left the game (at least until forced
to go elsewhere by the rules), and this proposal also leaves that behavior
intact.  The other effect, of forcing wool-sweaters to become unowned by a
player leaving the game seemed like a useless effect, and was thus not
preserved.  They can also now be donatated to the treasury, though why
someone would bother.....]}}

Amend rule 256 (Leaving the game) by replacing all occurances of the word
'mimsy' with the word 'unique'.

Amend rule 500.3 (Entity Uniqueness) by removing the last paragraph.
{{[which currently reads as follows: A unique entity is also mimsy, unless
the rules specify that it is not. A non-unique entity is not mimsy, unless
the Rules specify that it is.]}}

Amend rule 505 (Treasury and Ackadollars) by replacing all occurances of
the word 'mimsy' with the word 'unique'. {{[this only occurs once in
section V]}}

Amend rule 620 (Chartruese Goose) by removing the words 'non-mimsy' from
the first sentence.  {{[This has the game effect of removing the goose
from a player who leaves the game, so we will now fix that]}}

Amend rule 620 (Chartruese Goose) to insert the following GOOSE
delimited paragraph as the second paragraph of the rule.
GOOSE
The Chartreuse Goose is not removed from a player upon that player leaving
the game.  This clause takes precedence over rule 256 where there is a
conflict.
GOOSE

Amend rule 923 (The Amber Banana) by removing the word 'mimsy' in the
first sentance.

Amend rule 929 (Baaa) by removing all occurances of the word 'mimsy'.
{{[This changes the fact that wool sweaters get removed from a player when
they leave the game, but I don't consider that a signifigant change.]}}

Amend rule 933 (Purple Robe of Justice) by removing the word 'mimsy' from
the last sentance of the first paragraph.

Amend rule 1150 (The Evil Overlords of Ackanomic (retired)) by removing
all occurances of the word 'non-mimsy'.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3161

Proposal 3161
Encore, Encore!
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 667 (Fat Lady) as follows.
Replace the sentance 'The Fat Lady's singing will endure for exactly three
hours, or until any player publicly posts an original limerick politely
asking her to stop, whichever comes first.' with the following sentance:

The Fat Lady's singing will endure for exactly one day, or until any
player publically posts an original limerick politely asking her to stop,
whichever comes first.

{{[Three hours isn't sufficient unless you check your mail constantly, and
if I ever happened to have the Tuba and the Trombone, I'd certainly like
the oppurtinity to try :)]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:33:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3162

Proposal 3162
Land? Nahh, we don't need no steekin' land
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 844 by appending the following SELLSELL delimited text as the
second paragraph of the rule.

SELLSELL
Any player who owns a kaa of land which does not have any building on it
may sell that kaa of land for A$40.  The kaa of land which was sold
becomes unowned, common land.
SELLSELL

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:34:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3163

Proposal 3163
I speak with forked tongue
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 854 with the following HISSSSS delimited text
HISSSSS
Forked Tongue: Cost A$250 - Players who have this mutation have a better
ability to speak and pronounce the language of the ancients.  Whenever a
player with this mutation reads an ancient text [such as the Ackanomicon
or a Spell Book of Chorg] and the result of that reading of the text
specifies a random outcome, the player shall have a 25% chance of being
able to pick the outcome deterministically.  This paragraph takes
precedence over any rules with which it conflicts.
HISSSSS

{{[The purpose here is to have a bit of fun, and give a bit of control to
some players over some of the more random but fun events]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3164

Proposal 3164
I Can't Believe We Missed This
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[If the world is made cubical, we have a nice little rule conflict which
is created.  Fortunately precedence ensures it will remain cubical, but I
don't want to take any chances.]

Amend Rule 1319.2, "Cubical Earth Implementation Society", by replacing
the following INCOMPLETE-delimited text:

INCOMPLETE
all occurrences of the word "flat" in Rule 1307 shall be replaced by
"cubical".
INCOMPLETE

with the following BETTER-delimited text:

BETTER
all occurrences of the word "flat" in Rules 1307 and 1309 shall be
replaced by "cubical", all occurrences of the text "the topside of the
earth" in Rule 1309 shall be replaced by "the other faces of the earth",
and all occurrences of the text "the underside of the Earth" in Rule 1311 
shall be replaced by "the face of the Earth which includes Ackanomia".
BETTER

[There.  No nasty questions about which side is the topside, or anything
like that, once we make the Earth a cube.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:36:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3165

Proposal 3165
Minor Tactical Retreat Change
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

In rule 1240.9 replace: "A King may not be removed from the board in this
way" with: "This move may never be used to get out of check"

[I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be allowed for kings in the course
of general play. If you spot that you're in trouble then you should be able
to bale out before you get put in check.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:38:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 3166

Proposal 3166
How Tired is this Now?
Mr. Tambourine Man (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal. [and not a chess proposal, even if it looks like
it is]

In rule 1230.2 replace the text:

"C. Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in such a
position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless either 

(a) it is impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one
other piece, and the Swinger involved has fewer than five on-board pieces and
a weight of 0; "

with the text:

"C. Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in such a
position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, or causes any other
piece to attack a piece belonging to any player other than the one who made
the placement(i.e. no attacks may exist that weren't there before the
placement except those attacking the player who made the placement), unless
either 

(a) it is impossible to place the piece without it violating this above
clause, and the Swinger involved has fewer than five on-board pieces and a
weight of 0. Even so, the piece may only be placed such that it is attacking
if there are no possible positions it could be placed where it wouldn't be
attacking; "

In the same rule replace: "7. Check and Checkmate " with "7. Check" [whilst
I'm at it. The checkmate bit has, much to my chagrin been removed].

Amend rule 1240.10 by replacing the following
"LOOKALFVAENIMMOVINGAPERIODOUTSIDETHEDOUBLEQUOTES" delimited text:

LOOKALFVAENIMMOVINGAPERIODOUTSIDETHEDOUBLEQUOTES
1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called "Paratroop." 

2. An Otzma Card of type Paratroop may be played only by a Swinger, and only
in their turn. If the Swinger uses an Otzma card of type Paratroop, and
before the end of his turn, places an off-board piece on the board, he may
place that piece where it attacks one or more enemy pieces. This takes
precedence over the usual conflicting restriction on placement plays. 
LOOKALFVAENIMMOVINGAPERIODOUTSIDETHEDOUBLEQUOTES

with the following "SHORTDELIMITER" delimited text:

SHORTDELIMITER
1. This rule defines an Otzma Card type called "Paratroop". 

2. An Otzma Card of type Paratroop may be played only by a Swinger, and only
in their turn. If the Swinger uses an Otzma card of type Paratroop, and
before the end of his turn, places an off-board piece on the board, he may
place that piece where it attacks one or more enemy pieces, or causes another
piece to do so. This takes precedence over the usual conflicting restriction
on placement plays. 
SHORTDELIMITER

[This just brings the rule in line with the change I'm making here, as well
as moving a full stop, or period as you Americans call them :-)]

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #89
********************************