Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #59
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest         Friday, May 1 1998         Volume 03 : Number 059

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2963

Proposal 2963
Reasonable Attempts Will Be Given Partial Credit
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[As things stand, if the rules say that a particular piece of text has to
be sent to achieve a particular effect, no changes from that text (with
the possible exceptions of punctuation and case) are allowed.  This can
lead to some actions not being completed when most people thought they
were.  Such a situation really could use a "common sense" remedy.
However, as common sense is rarely common, such a remedy will have to use
weasel words of some sort.  This is the best I could come up with.]

Amend Rule 340, "Conventions", by appending the following OKAY-delimited
text:

OKAY
VIII.  When any Rule requires a public message contain a fixed piece of
text in order to satisfy some condition, then, that Rule notwithstanding,
any piece of text in a public message which is unambiguously a close
approximation to the text in question, such that the intent of the text in
the message is unambiguously to satisfy the condition laid down in the
Rule, shall be considered, for the purposes of that Rule, to be equivalent
to the fixed piece of text.
OKAY

[Yes, I know it is wordy and tangled.  If anyone can come up with anything
better, then let me know quickly, and I can retract this to let yours
through.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2964

Proposal 2964
No Quick Majik
JT (JT Traub)

Amend rule 506.1 as follows

Replace the first sentance of the rule {{[An existing Trinket can be made
into a Majik by the Archaeologist]}} with the sentance 
'An existing Trinket can be made into a Majik by the Archaeologist as
described by the rest of this rule.'

{{[ I'm not sure that the first sentance even needs to be there since the
rest of the rule describes that the Archaeologist is the one who has to
reply, etc, but I figure explicit is better than not so I decided to reword
the first sentance instead of just removing it. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2965

Proposal 2965
More Gratuitous Literature
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

Create a new rule numbered 1351 titled Mooning reading as follows (delimited
by CRATER):

CRATER
Ganymede and Titan are both moons of Ackanomic. If any player has been to
both Ganymede and Titan and e posts a message containing the phrase:
"To Ganymede and Titan, yes sir I've been around" [Lister, The End, Red
Dwarf]
then e will receive a random boon of the ancients. After e has received this
boon e may not do so again until e has visited Ganymede and Titan again.
CRATER

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2966

Proposal 2966
Au Revoir
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Repeal rule 1060. [This one looks as if no-one's going to be using it.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:25:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2967

Proposal 2967
Admissions
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

Create a new rule entitled Admissions Policies numbered  reading as
follows(as delimited by TMBSG):

TMBSG
As an organizational action any organization may change it's admissions
policy. The following are valid types of admissions policies:

1. Standard: the organisation may accept new members as an organizational
action.

2. Open: any player may join the organization as a public action.

3. Privileged Single Player: a single member may grant any request for
membership in that Organization, without waiting around for the consent of
the rest of the members. A single player with this ability must be specified.

4. Quasi-open: Any player may request membership into the organisation and
will become a member three days later unless any member of the organization
refuse the player admission

5. Communist Single Player: a single member may grant any request for
membership in that Organization, without waiting around for the consent of
the rest of the members. Any member of the organisation may grant membership
in this way.
TMBSG

Delete the following text from rule 1003:

"An Organization may, as a public action, give a particular member the
ability to grant any request for membership in that Organization, without
waiting around for the consent of the rest of the members. An Organization
may also, as a public action, establish an open admissions policy, which
means that anyone can join that Organization at any time. "

[I thought some of these might be useful for They Might Be Slumbering Giants,
specifically Communist Single Player, considering how bad they've been at
accepting new members as of late.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:26:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2968

Proposal 2968
Pride and Prejudice
Pandora (David Kenning)

This is a Modest proposal.

Add the following NORMAL-delimited text to Rule 209/4 as a new paragraph in
between the current second and third paragraphs:

NORMAL
A Proposal that is neither Modest nor Grandiose contains Monosodium Glutamate.
In all instances where the designation of a Proposal is called into question,
and that Proposal contains Monosodium Glutamate, the designation of that
Proposal shall be considered to be Normal.
NORMAL

{{[that should sort out the problem of non-modest, non-grandiose proposals
being technically invalid, whether or not it's been sorted out by a CFJ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2969

Proposal 2969
Norgrindly
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Create a new Rule numbered 999, with the title "The Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis", with text as
follows(delimited by ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM):

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

The Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosois is
a tradeable entity.  {{ Initially it is owned by a randomly
chosen active player. }}  The owner of the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosois may do any of the
following, as a public action: a) Replace the string "Spelling Bee" in all
Rules(including this one), and in any Proposals in the voting queue, with
any legal Ackanomic name. b) Cause the Brass Monkey to climb eir house. c)
Make it a Crime for a post to the public forum over the next 24 hours not
to hail em as Emperor. d) Reduce eir score to a number less than -1000000.

Upon performing any of the above actions, the Quirpele of
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosois's photoelectric cells
become flibbled, and it teleports to another random player.  Any former
owner of the Quirpele of Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosois
may be known as a Giant Green Gorilla.

ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2970

Proposal 2970
small Eleusis change
JT (JT Traub)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend section 9 'Duties of Deus and the Prophet' in rule 1250.23 by appending
the following as a new paragraph to the end of the section.
  The Deus may during the round give up to three hints to the Scientists.
  These hints may be given at any time during the round, but no more than
  three may be given.  If a Deus gives more than 3 hints in a round, he
  is penalized 2 Gamepoints for each hint above 3.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #59
********************************