Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #56
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Monday, April 27 1998       Volume 03 : Number 056

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:33:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2948

Proposal 2948
I still don't think it's right
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal [and a chess proposal (not that it will matter
because Slakko has said that e doesn't like it)].

Modify rule 1230.2 section 7. to read:

"7. Check and Checkmate

A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more pieces owned
by a Swinger whose King is on-board. No Swinger may make a play that would
cause him or her to be in Check at the end of his or her turn. It is possible
that the only move that will satisfy this condition is a Surrender. It is the
responsibility of the Chess-Umpire to identify states of Check and alert the
Swingers that such a state exists, and let the Swingers know whose King is
being attacked.

A Swinger is in Checkmate if e is in Check and there are no single atomic
plays of type Move, Capture or Special which would cause the swinger not to
be in Check. If a Swinger is in Checkmate then e automatically makes a
default play of Surrender."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:34:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2949

Proposal 2949
It Ain't What You Do, It's The Way That You Do It
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 961, "Curse of the B-Ack", as follows:

Replace the last sentence of the second paragraph

{{[
   Therefore, each day that a player is in the Wilds of
   Ackanomia and posts a public message, there is a 40% chance that the
   B-Ack will hear the player and chase em for the rest of eir stay in
   the wilds.
]}}

with the following(delimited by BANANARAMA):

BANANARAMA
   Therefore, each day that a player is in the Wilds of
   Ackanomia and posts a public message, there is a 10% chance that the
   B-Ack will hear the player and chase em for the rest of eir stay in
   the wilds; the Map-Harfer shall be responsible for determining
   whether or not this occurs.
BANANARAMA
   
{{[ As OiCoRT, I'm tired of doing the B-Ack, and 40% seems too high a
number to me, too. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:35:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2950

Proposal 2950
Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Amend Rule 600, "Winning Conditions", to insert "Rule 603," between
"Rule 601, " and "Rule 620,".

Amend Rule 603, "Winning by Points", as follows:

Replace the fourth paragraph

{{[
   If exactly one voting player has a number of points equal to or
   greater than the Magic Number, that player has achieved a Winning
   Condition. [See Rule 600 for the effects of achieving a Winning
   Condition.]
]}}

with the following text(delimited by BLUR):

BLUR
   If a voting player has a number of points equal to or
   greater than the Magic Number, and that player is the first one
   to have done so in the current Cycle, then that player has achieved a
   Winning Condition.  In addition to the process outlined in Rule
   600, it is also possible for a player(other than the Scorekeeper)
   to win the Cycle if the Scorekeeper declares em to have satisfied
   the above condition.  If no player objects to the Scorekeeper's
   announcement within three days, then the above-mentioned player
   wins the Cycle.  (Otherwise, the player may still resort to CWCFJ
   as outlined in Rule 600.)
BLUR

In the fifth paragraph replace the text "win the cycle" with "achieve
a Winning Condition".  {{[ Or has this already been done? ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:36:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2951

Proposal 2951
School of Reform For Budding Arch-Criminals
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 1240.15, "Otzma Card of type Art Thief", as follows:

Replace the second paragraph
{{[
   A player who plays this Card shall unambiguously announce the name of
   an entity (other than a player) contained in the Museum. Upon doing
   so, the entity is removed from the Museum and transferred to the
   player, (and is no longer considered "on display" in the Museum).
]}}

with the following text(delimited by GOWAN):

GOWAN
   A player who plays this Card shall unambiguously announce the name of
   an entity (other than a player) contained in the Museum. Upon doing
   so, the following shall occur:

   a) If the entity's donation value is less than A$10, then the theft
      succeeds.

   b) If the entity's donation value is greater than A$10, then for every
      A$10 of the entity's value the chance of failure is 1%.  (So, for
      an A$350-value entity, the chance of failure is 35%.)

   c) If the chance of failure is non-zero, then the Officer in Charge of
      Random Things shall determine whether or not the theft fails.  If
      the theft does not fail, it succeeds.

   d) If the theft succeeds, then the entity is removed from the
      Museum and transferred to the player(and is no longer considered
      "on display" in the Museum).

   e) If the theft fails, then one of the two following events occurs
      (with equal probability):  Either the player is Caught Stealing,
      or another random item of the same type is stolen by mistake(and
      transferred to the player as in d) above).  Item types, for this
      purpose, consist of Trinkets/Majiks, Gadgets, and Prosthetic
      Foreheads.
GOWAN

{{[ It shouldn't be _too_ easy for people to steal big huge trinkets from
the Museum... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2952

Proposal 2952
1928
else...if (Henry Towsner)

{{[This is a little different from what I RFC'd.  It adds some controls
to the activity index, just in case, and allows the Reserve to buy off
portions of the market value.  It also clarifies the definition of
insider trading (of which I believe we are all guilty).]}}

Amend section b of rule 530 to read as delimited CONTROL

CONTROL

b) If for any reason the positivity value is unspecified, it will be
set to 10. If the positivity value is less than 0, then it will
immediately become 0. Whenever a proposal passes, at the moment its
results are publicly knowable, the positivity value will increase by
the P-setting for every player who voted in favor of the proposal.
Whenever a proposal fails, at the moment its results are publicly
knowable, the positivity value will decrease by the N-setting for every
player who voted against it. 

CONTROL

Amend section c of rule 530 to read as delimited by MORECONTROL

MORECONTROL

c) If for any reason the activity value is unspecified, it will be set
to 10. If the activity value is less than 0, then it will immediately
become 0. At twelve, three, six, nine (a.m. and p.m.) the activity
value will decrease by the D-setting. The normality factor will the
number of activities which occured on the previous day plus ten times
the A-setting. Every time an activity occurs, the activity value
increases by 1/the normality factor. Something is only an activity if
it is specified as one by this rule.

The following are activities:

	The distribution of a proposal, CFJ, CFCJ, or CSR.

	The announcement of the beginning or end of a hearing.

	The passage of a great work.

	The addition or removal of a player.

	Any action causing a player to pay the standard harfer fee.

	The beginning or end of an election.

	The creation of a gadget.

	The end of a cycle.

	The distribution of the magic potato, oars, raft, or the chocolate
frog.

	The granting of any other award based on blue cross rank.

	The posting of Phoebe's wisdom.

	A *ping*.

	The winning of a game of GAD or party chess. 

At the end of each Acka day, one second after the loss latest loss of
the D-setting, the activity value will be rounded to the nearest
tenth.

MORECONTROL

Replace the following OUTWITHTHEOLD delimited text from rule 530 with
the subsequent INWITHTHENEW delimited text.

OUTWITHTHEOLD

A player who intentionally manipulates the stock market by any means
will be guilty of the crime of insider trading. 

OUTWITHTHEOLD

INWITHTHENEW

A player who intentionally manipulates the stock market by any means
primarily for eir own gain or that of another will be guilty of the
crime of insider trading.

INWITHTHENEW

Amend Rule 534 to read as delimited by MULTITUDES

MULTITUDES

There is a named, unownable, unique entity known as The Ackan Reserve.
There is an optional functional office with one seat known as Chair of
the Ackan Reserve, or AR-C.   There is an optional political office
known as the People's Member of the Ackan Reserve, or AR-P.  There is
an optional office known as the Financial Communitie's Member of the
Ackan Reserve, or AR-F.  There are also six Appointed Members of the
Ackan Reserve, known to be upstading citizens of Acka, however  as they
are not players, their votes are assumed to be similar to the player
members, and can be safely ignored.  [Presumably this includes Phoebe
and so on.]  The AR-C, AR-P, and AR-F, are collectively known as the
Executive Board of the Ackan Reserve, or AREB.  If a player has two
offices which are on the AREB than one will be confiscated, either the
AR-F, of the AR-P if they do not own the AR-F.

The AREB is responsible for setting the D-, A-, P- and N-settings.  It
may change them by any two members of the AREB publicly specifying the
same change to a setting within three days of each other.  The
specification of a change must include which setting they want to
change and a value greater than 0 and less than or equal to 1.

The AREB also has the power to declare payoffs.  If two members of the
AREB publicly specify the same payoff within three days of each other
than that payoff will occur.  The specification of a payoff must
include a non-negative amount for every index in the market less than
or equal to the value of that index.  When the payoff occurs the
specified amount is subtracted for each index and all players receive
in A$ the amount of the total loss times the number of stocks they
hold.

It is a duty of the Chair of the Ackan Reserve to track the value of
the Stock Market, including the calculation of the ACT quotient, and to
make this value available to all players. 

{{The P-setting is set to 0.1.  The N-setting is set to 0.15. The
A-setting is set to 0.1.  The D-setting is set to 0.125.}}

{{The AR-F is transferred to the treasury, nominations are called for
on the AR-P.}}

MULTITUDES

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:39:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2953

Proposal 2953
"Rehalfing the ruleset..."
H*bert (Jonathan David Amery)

This is a Modest Proposal.

 Create a rule with the lowest currently untaken number with the following
text: 

{{Set the gamestate to whatever it would have been had CFJ 577 been judged
FALSE}}

{{If CFJ 577 has been judged TRUE then give Ayla a Winning
Condition, H*bert looses 2 points, Ayla gains 2 points}}

{{Repeal rule 1}}

{{[I support the CfJ, but don't want the game to go haywire.  Someone else
can fix the rule itself...  Deliberatly posted to acka-research]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:43:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2954

Proposal 2954 - Mon 27 Apr 1998 13:40 EDT
You Asked For It, breadbox
Hubert (Eric Plumb)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Replace all instances of the string "chess" or the string "Chess" in all
Rules with a base number of 1230 with the string "checkers" or the string
"Checkers", respectively.

Repeal all Rules except those with a base number of 1230 and Rule 42.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2955

Proposal 2955
Official Terms
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[This proposal introduces the concept of a Minimum Term of Office.
After the end of a Minimum Term an eligible player may request an
election. The cost of the standard harfer fee will reduce abuse (though
not anti-scam) and automatic nomination will prevent null elections.

The intention is to give players a non-impeachment method of activating
the election process for the 'harfy' offices while not causing too much
BWG.]}}

{{[The graphic Detail]}}

{{[***Commonality***]}}
Amend rule 401 (Offices, Commonalities) in the following way:
Insert the following between part a) and b) of section (vi) and reletter
the list accordingly:

b) The Rules may specify a Minimum Term of Office. When a player has
held a particular seat of an office for a period greater than its
Minimum Term of Office, any player who is eligible to hold that seat may
as a public action demand "an end to this banna republic", specifying
the seat and paying the Standard Harfer Fee. When this occurs the term
of office for the specified seat expires and an election is held. The
player who called for the election is automatically nominated. If the
rules fail to specify a Minimum Term of Office for a particular office,
then this paragraph shall not apply to that office.

{{[***Senate***]}}
Append to the end of Rule 411 (Senate) as a separate paragraph:
At the time of a presidential election at most two seats are selected in
the following manner:
i) All seats for which an election was held during the previous 16 weeks
are disregarded.
ii) Of the remaining seats, the two seats which have not had an election
for the longest period or all of these seats, whichever is less, have
their term of office expire.
iii) Ties in section ii) are broken randomly.

{{[***Historian***]}}
Place the following after first sentence of Rule 420 (Historian):
It has a Minimum Term of Office of 12 months.

{{[***Poet Laureate***]}}
Remove the first sentence of Rule 424 (Poet Laureate) and replace with:
The optional Office of Poet Laureate has a Minimum Term of Office of 6
months.

{{[***Praetor***]}}
Amend the first sentence of section I of Rule 425 (Praetor) to read:
The Office of the Praetor is a Political Office with a Minimum Term of
Office of 6 months.

{{[***Inventor***]}}
Amend  the paragraph under the heading "A. Inventor" in Rule 593
(Ackanomic Research Guild) to read:
The Office of Inventor has one seat with a Minimum Term of Office of 6
months that is filled by Election.

{{[***Wizard***]}}
Append to the paragraph under the heading "B. Wizard" in Rule 593
(Ackanomic Research Guild):
If a player's most recent ownership of the office of wizard exceeds 6
months and that player has not made a discovery or gadget during that
time and a player points this fact out the office is transferred to the
treasury.

{{[***Mad Scientist***]}}
Insert the following in Rule 597 (The Frankenstein Monster(s)) after
section xi):
xii)  Eir creative genius having been exhausted, the office of The Mad
Scientist then becomes vacant.

{{[***Illuminatus***]}}
Reassign letters to each of the lettered list items in Rule 607 (Winning
by Agenda) to give them a unique letter one greater in alphabetic
ordering than the previous, starting with a) for the first item.

Insert the following at the end of the list in Rule 607 (Winning by
Agenda):
e) The Agent of KAOS has three days from when eir Cycle-Win CFJ becomes
unapealable to publicly announce eir desire to be Illuminatus. If they
do so the current Illuminatus is removed from office and the Agent of
KAOS becomes the new Illuminatus. Otherwise the office of Illuminatus
becomes vacant.

{{[***Caped Crusader***]}}
Amend the second sentence of the second paragraph of Rule 705 (The Caped
Crusader) to read in full:
It is an Optional Political office with a Minimum Term of Office of 6
months.

{{[***Gaoler***]}}
Append to section (ii) of Rule 712 (Gaoler):
It has a Minimum Term of office of 6 months.

{{[***NAP Swinger***]}}
Amend Section III, C, 2 of Rule 1040 (Party Hall) to read:
2. The Player who holds the NAP Swinger's Office continues to be NAP
Swinger until e either resigns, is impeached, surrenders, or becomes a
member of a Party or the current game of party chess is won.

{{[***AckaPhysicist***]}}
Replace the second paragraph of Rule 1317 (Codex of Kra) with:
The optional office of AckaPhysicist exists. It has a Minimum Term of
Office of 6 months. It is a privilege of the AckaPhysicist to translate
the Codex of Kra, and report its contents to the people of Acka
[maintaining, or arranging to maintain a web page of its contents would
be ideal].

{{[Change the authorship of this proposal to Blip]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:45:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2956

Proposal 2956
Veneration
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Amend to the Rule 917 (Rocks, walls, facial hair and root vegetables) to
read in full (HIGHLY VENDABLE delimited):

HIGHLY VENDABLE
The following types of entities exist:
i) A Rock To Wind A String Around.
ii) A Wall Of Trombones.
iii) Santa's Beard.
iv) A Magic Radish.
v) A Bottle of Bubble Gum Flavoured Shampoo.
vi) A Large Box of Chocolates.

All of the above entities are collectively known as Venerable Entities
and may be manipulated by vending machines, should such things exist.
All of the above entities are Tradable.

Due to the complex field interactions between Venerable Entities in the
same location, a player who possesses a least one of each type of the
Venerable Entities may request a Boon of the Ancients, with a 10% chance
of it being granted. However, invoking the Officer in Charge of Random
Things in this manner, causes all of the Venerable Entities in eir
possession to disappear in a flash of coloured light. A player may make
no more than one such request per calendar month.
HIGHLY VENDABLE

Rename rule 917 to Rocks, Walls, Facial Hair, Root Vegetables and
Flavoured Shampoo

Append the following to the end of Rule 594.4 (Blueprint: Vending
Machine):

If a Vending Machine is owned by the second player to legally chew The
Gumball on any given day, e may vend therefrom A Bottle of Bubble Gum
Flavoured Shampoo for the remainder of the day. The price for which A
Bottle of Bubble Gum Flavoured Shampoo may be sold starts at A$12.

If a Vending Machine is owned by the First Citizen, e may vend therefrom
A Large Box of Chocolates. The price for which A Large Box of Chocolates
may be sold starts at A$14.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:46:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2957

Proposal 2957
Now That They're Useful
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

[I have previously submitted a proposal to enable Swingpoints to be
exchanged to purchase Benefyts.  Since then my proposal which allows a use
for Benefyts has passed, so there is significant value in allowing
Benefyts to be purchased.  They shouldn't be cheap, though, so I've set
their price at 10 Swingpoints.]

Amend Section 3 of Rule 1044, "Swingpoints", by relabelling subsection
"d." to subsection "e.", and inserting the following BFT-delimited text
immediately after subsection "c.":

BFT
d. A Player may, as a public action, convert ten of eir own Swingpoints
into a Benefyt.
BFT

Amend Section 3 Subsection e of Rule 1044 by replacing the text
"(a) through (c)" with "(a) through (d)", and the text "(b) and (c)"
with the text "(b) through (d)".

[This gives the Benefyt conversion the same restrictions as any other
Swingpoint exchange.]

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #56
********************************