Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #54
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Saturday, April 25 1998      Volume 03 : Number 054

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2932

Proposal 2932
Tears In The River
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 910, "The Ackanomicon", as follows:

After the sentence "No player may visit The Vault of the Book more than
once in a calendar month, or more than once in any given 14 day span."
insert the sentence "No player may visit the Vault of the Book if another
player has visited the Vault of the book in the past 24 hours."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:25:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2933

Proposal 2933
Turn Your Face Away
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Create a new Rule, numbered 1155, named "Colours", with text as follows
(delimited by LION):

LION
The following colours are defined by the Rules:

alabaster; amber; aquamarine; azure; black; blue; brown; burgundy;
carnelian; cerulean; chartreuse; crimson; cyan; emerald; fuchsia;
gold; green; grey; indigo; lavender; magenta; maroon; mauve; murrey;
ochre; orange; peach; pink; puce; purple; red; scarlet; sienna; silver;
teal; turquoise; ultramarine; umber; vermilion; viridian; white; yellow;
LION

In Rule 594.5, "Blueprint: Automatic Sculpture", replace the last
sentence

{{[
   Should the Mad Sculptor not publicly post such a
   description within three days of being selected, e shall lose one
   point and the description shall become "it is green".
]}}
   
with the following text(delimited by SAMITE):

SAMITE
Should the Mad Sculptor not publicly post such a
description within three days of being selected, e shall lose one
point and the description shall become "it is X", where X is one
of the colours defined in Rule 1155.
SAMITE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:26:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2934

Proposal 2934
Some of Them Are Old
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Warning contains: preterit

{{[ The preterit is the verbal past tense form, as opposed to the past
participle.  I.E. the preterit of "swim" is "swam" and "drink" is
"drank"; the past participles are "swum" and "drunk" respectively.
Remember, you drove me to this! ]}}

Create a new rule, numbered 1199, named "Frink", with text as follows
(delimited by ENO):

ENO
When this Rule is created, a Hearing shall be called, with the Speaker
as Hearing Harfer.  The Hearing shall be on the subject of what the
preterit of the word "frink" shall be.

The valid results for this Hearing are the following: "frank", "frinked",
"frought", "knirf".

If the initial results of the Hearing are inconclusive, then another
Hearing shall be called whose valid results shall consist of all the
results which received the highest amount of votes.  In addition, when
the additional Hearing is called, the Hearing Harfer may add and other
valid choices that have been submitted to em, at eir discretion; these
choices must be single words.  This process repeats until the result of
the most recent Hearing is conclusive.  This takes precedence over Rule
360 where necessary.

When there is a conclusive result as in the previous paragraph, then the
word specified thereby is added to the Ackanomic Lexicon, game custom
shall consider this word to be the proper preterit of "frink", and this
Rule repeals itself.
ENO

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:27:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2935

Proposal 2935
Yes Virginia
Vynd (John McCoy)

There is a Voting Gnome.

The Voting Gnome is a unique, non-tradeable entity, named (you guessed
it): The Voting Gnome.  The Voting Gnome owns himself.  He acts only as
described in the Rules.

The word The in the name of The Voting Gnome (and only when in that name)
is not considered to be an article for the purpose of determing the
primitive form of names.

The Voting Gnome has a home.  It is located on a Kaa of land at the
extreme northern end of Ackanomic called the North Stick, on the far side
of the Wilds.  The home itself is a cozy building, with a 40 meter tower
that looks suspiciously like a chimney.  It is named The Voting Gnome's
Workshop.  Neither the North Stick nor the Voting Gnome's Workshop are
common locations.  Both the North Stick and the Voting Gnome's Workshop
are owned by the Voting Gnome.  Whenever the Voting Gnome's location is
not otherwise specified, he is in his home.

On every August 28th, at exactly noon, the Voting Gnome visits the rest of
Acka, bearing harf and good cheer.  He returns home at midnight.  August
28th, known as Gnomesday, is a Holiday, and a time of great happiness and
jocularity for Acka.  No player may be challenged to a Duel on Gnomesday.
The reason for all this goodwill is that the Voting Gnome gives gifts to
the players of Acka on this day.  Exactly what gift depends on certain
conditions, described below.  No player receives more than one gift, if he
qualifies for several then he receives only the first gift listed that he
qualifies for.

I.  If the player is in Gaol, he receives a Lump of Coal.  Lumps of Coal
are non-tradeable entities, and they are depressing.  So long as a player
owns a Lump of Coal, he may not participate in parades, and is instead
represented by a cardboard cutout, with all attendant penalties.  He may
not chew the gumball.  Furthermore, the description of his home is
immediately  changed to the sentence: A one room apartment with no window,
cinder block walls, a plain wooden bench, and a pile of rags in one corner
for a bed. This description may not be altered so long as the player owns
a Lump of Coal. 

A Lump of Coal is destroyed if the player who owns it is Enlightened, at
which point that player ceases to be Enlightened.  If a player is burned
as a Heretic, or shot with any kind of laser, any Lump of Coal in his
possession is destroyed.  If a player is in possession of a Lump of Coal
for a full 12 months, it is destroyed, and that player gains A$2500 (in
diamonds).

II.  If a player is on vacation, he receives a Silly Vacation Hat.  Silly
Vacation Hats are non-tradeable entities.  Once a player returns from
vacation, he has seven days to post a name and description for his hat.
If he fails to do so, then at the end of the seven days the Hat in
question is destroyed.

III.  If a player is in the Wilds of Ackanomic, he receives a Rock to Wind
a String Around.

IV.  If a player is in his home, and his home has a tower, he receives a
Bonus Vote.  If this would give the player more Bonus Votes than he can
legally own, he instead receives a Blue Cross Bonus.  If the player
already owns a Blue Cross Bonus, he instead receives the Purple Robes of
Justice.  If more than one player would qualify to receive the Purple
Robes of Justice in this method, then one of them is randomly selected to
receive it.  The other players who qualified to receive the Purple Robes
of Justice but did not receive them shall receive a Bronze Torch.  If the
player already owns a Bronze Torch, then he shall receive the Chartreuse
Goose.  If more than one player would qualify to receive the Chartreuse
Goose in this manner, then one of them is randomly selected to receive it.
Those players who qualified to receive the Chartreuse Goose but did not
receive it shall receive a Chartreuse Goose Egg.  If the player already
owns a Chartreuse Goose Egg, then he shall instead receive the Huge
Gaudily Wrapped Present.  If more than one player qualifies to receive the
Huge Gaudily Wrapped Present, none of them receive it, and they all
receive A$1 instead.

The Huge Gaudily Wrapped Present is a unique tradeable entity, if at any
time it is not owned by a player is is Somewhere Else.  It is never in
the Treasury.  A player who owns the Huge Gaudily Wrapped Present may open
it at any time as a public action.  When he does so, one of two events
occurs, exactly which one is determined randomly.  He either: 1) Receives
two pairs of dress pants; or, 2) Achieves a Winning Condition.  In either
case, the player ceases to own the Huge Gaudily Wrapped Present.

V.  If a player is in his home, but his home does not have a tower
attached to it, then he receives a Santa's Beard.

VI.  If a player is at the Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication
he receives a Boon of the Ancients, provided he has been there for at
least three days.

If a player does not meet any of the above qualifications, he receives a
pair of dress pants.  Pairs of dress pants are Garments.

This Rule takes precedence over all Rules numbered 200 or lower.

{{[Sort of the Ackanomicon meets the Crystal Chalice.  If anyone knows
where I get this stuff from, LOCK THE DOOR.  If this passes, everyone
should feel free to add their own gifts and conditions.]}}

{{Renumber this Rule to 975}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2936

Proposal 2936
Herd mentality
Pandora (David Kenning)

Amend Rule 106/15 to include the following HERD delimited text as a new
paragraph in between the current first and second paragraphs:

HERD
Upon counting the votes, all BAA! votes shall be converted into either Yes or
No votes as follows: if there are more Yes than No votes, BAA! votes shall be
converted into Yes votes; if there are more No than Yes votes, BAA! votes shall
be converted into No votes. BAA! votes thus converted shall count towards
deciding whether the proposal is accepted or rejected as if they had been
regular Yes or No votes.
HERD

[if I've got this right, it effectively means voting BAA! amounts to saying 'I
think the same as everyone else', which gives what I consider to be an
appropriate significance to BAA! votes]

[I hope my debut proposal has been as much pleasure for everyone else as it
has for me]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:30:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2937

Proposal 2937
The Stocks
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

Create a new rule numbered 708 entitled "To the Stocks" and reading as
follows delimited by "ROTTEN-EGG"

ROTTEN-EGG
There exists the location of the Ackanomic Town Square (square) It is a
common location, and it occupies four kaas of land. Located in the square are
several sets of stocks. Whenever a player is sentenced to a sentence in the
stocks they are transported to the square and considered to be "in the
stocks" for the duration of the sentence.

Whenever a player is in the stocks they are treated as if they were in gaol
except for the following differences:

1. There is no limit on the number of public messages they may post in a day
due to the greater ease with which someone in the stocks may communicate.

2. A player in the stocks may give any gift entities to another player [not
organisation], provided the other player is in the Ackanomic Town Square.

Any player may release any other player from the stocks providing they are in
the square and not in the stocks. To do so however is the crime of aiding and
abetting [It is considered good form for any CFCJs with a TRUE verdict on
this crime to give as a penalty a time in the stocks]. If a player is
released from the stocks then their sentence is considered to have ended.

There exists a unique unownable entity called "Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler"
[Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures, page 15] (Dibbler). Entities owned by
Dibbler are not considered to be in the Treasury. Any player who is in the
square but not in he stocks may purchase any of Dibbler's merchandise for the
prices indicated below:

	Miscellaneous Vegetables:		A$3
	Tomato:				A$5
	Rotten Egg:				A$10

Any merchandise purchased from Dibbler must immediately (i.e. in the same
message) be thrown at a player in the stocks, otherwise it will decompose
(due to it's low quality).

Any player in the stocks who has had anything thrown at them may be ridiculed
with immunity to the politeness moon (within reason). In addition, for each
item thrown at a player there is a chance that that player becomes ill. The
odds are 1 in 20 for miscellaneous vegetables, 1 in 10 for tomatoes and 1 in
5 for rotten eggs. If a player becomes ill in this way then upon their
sentence in the stocks ending they are transferred to the hospital where they
must remain for three days.

At the end of every month Dibbler has all his money confiscated for selling
bad quality goods and this is transferred to a random active player "for
bringing this man's dreadful merchandise to the state's attention".
ROTTEN-EGG

Create a new rule called "The Ackanomic Hospital" with the text as delimited
by KING_SYNDROME

KING_SYNDROME
The Ackanomic Hospital is a common location and a cosy building. Whenever a
player is ill and in the hospital they are encouraged to groan in any public
messages .
KING_SYNDROME

Modify rule 1123 by appending the following LUNATIC delimited text to the
end:

LUNATIC
In addition, whenever a player is found to have snowgod's disease they are
transported to the Ackanomic Hospital where they must remain for three days
whilst they are recovering from their illness.
LUNATIC

Modify rule 709 by replacing the following BORING delimited text with the
following BRAND_NEW delimited text:

BORING
If a player has been selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet accepted or
declined the appointment when e enters the Gaol, e is considered to have
declined the appointment as judge. 
BORING

BRAND_NEW
If a player has been selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet delivered the
verdict, e is considered to have declined the appointment as judge and the
Clerk of the Courts must select a new judge. 
BRAND_NEW

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:31:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2938

Proposal 2938
Theatre Monkeys
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Modify section VII of rule 34o to read:

"VII. Alphabetical ordering shall be determined by a word-by-word comparison,
each word compared letter-by-letter. For these purposes: A word is considered
to be delimited by whitespace; an initial word 'The' or 'the' is ignored; a
single string of digits is considered equivalent to a letter; digital
'letters' precede alphabetical letters; accented letters come immediately
after the unaccented form of the letter; and non-alphanumeric characters are
ignored (excluding whitespace used for the purpose of delimiting words, which
counts only for this purpose); and case is ignored. All else failing, two
words that are otherwise equivalent shall be sorted in ASCII collation order.

{{The Gingham Wearer loses two points. Alfvaen gains two points. [He reminded
me about the need to do this.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:32:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2939

Proposal 2939
It seems a bit cheap to me
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal. [No change there then]

[Oh yeah, and a note to breadbox, this is a chess proposal]

Modify rule 1230.2 section 7 to read as follows:

"7. Check and Checkmate

A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more opposing
pieces. No Swinger may make a play that would cause him or her to be in Check
at the end of his or her turn. It is possible that the only move that will
satisfy this condition is a Surrender. It is the responsibility of the
Chess-Umpire to identify states of Check and alert the Swingers that such a
state exists, and let the Swingers know whose King is being attacked.

A Swinger is in Checkmate if e is in Check and there are no single (i.e. one
atomic play) moves or captures the Swinger can make which would result in em
not being in check after the move or capture. If a Swinger is in Checkmate
then e automatically makes a default play of Surrender."

[It seems a bit cheap to me that it is possible to get out of a check merely
by placing a piece in the way. This is possibly the first in a long line of
proposals from me to make party chess have slightly more in common with
normal chess, i.e. make similar tactics apply to both (I don't think they do
at the moment).]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:59:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2940

Proposal 2940
It was Funny the First Time
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

I.   Amend Proposal 2651 by replacing the first of the two occurrences
     of the paragraph which reads:

Any voting player (including the Mad Scientist) has the option of
digging up and delivering one valid Frankenstein Part to the Mad
Scientist, once per calendar week.

     with the following paragraph:

Any voting player (including the Mad Scientist) has the option of
digging up and delivering a Frankenstein Part to the Mad Scientist,
once per calendar week.

II.  Change the authorship of Proposal 2891 to K 2 (Kelly Kelly).

III. Append the following paragraph to Rule 104 ("Proposals"):

Once a proposal has been properly distributed, none of its text may be
altered; likewise, its authorship and time of distribution cannot be
changed.

{{[The information in the Proposal Archive needs to remain accurate.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:52:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2941

Proposal 2941
Thanks But No Thanks
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Repeal Rule 2888 "The Bolivian Navy on Maneuvers in the South Pacific"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2931

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Tom Walmsley wrote:

> Again, I agree. As I'm sure most of you have noticed, I've been quite busy
> this week and not had as much time for Acka (I must get a few CFJ things sent
> out actually) and that was the reason I didn't have time to look up the
> verdicts (the fact that the types of hearing weren't all that common didn't
> help me either). I'm perfectly happy for this harf to remain in our rules.
> 
> TGW, Count Tabula.

Honestly, the lengths I go to to simplify the ruleset *sigh*
I retract Proposal 2931.
- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Year PhD(Pure Maths), CUDipSoc, CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS etc
Acka - President, Web-Harfer, RuneMaker, ChessUmpire, Map-Harfer

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #54
********************************