Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #51
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Wednesday, April 22 1998      Volume 03 : Number 051

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2885 rejected

Results of Proposal 2885

17/24 votes: Quorum achieved
4/15 YES votes: Proposal rejected

    YES:
IdiotBoy
Guy Fawkes
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)

    NO:
Koxvolio             (Harf)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Ayla
Pandora
else...if            (Klingon)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Slakko               (SPAM)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
J. M. Bear
breadbox

    PRESENT:
Attila the Pun

    BAA!:
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)

    ABSTAINED:
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Wild Card            (SPAM)
rufus                (SPAM)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:

    PENDING:
two-star
Astro

> Proposal 2885 - Tue 14 Apr 1998 19:45 EDT
> If I had A$1000000
> /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)
> 
> {{ A number of stocks equal to one million divided by the current value of
> a stock in A$ are created in /dev/joe's possession. }}
> 
> {{[Malenkai would have loved this. ;-) ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:15:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2886 accepted

Results of Proposal 2886

18/24 votes: Quorum achieved
16/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Koxvolio             (Harf)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Ayla
IdiotBoy
Attila the Pun
else...if            (Klingon)
Guy Fawkes
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Slakko               (SPAM)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
JT                   (Boomerangs)
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
Pandora
breadbox

    PRESENT:

    BAA!:
J. M. Bear

    ABSTAINED:
Joe Java             (Boomerangs)
Wild Card            (SPAM)
rufus                (SPAM)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:

    PENDING:
two-star
Astro

> Proposal 2886 - Tue 14 Apr 1998 19:46 EDT
> Enough Bickering
> /dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)
> 
> This is a modest proposal.
> 
> Amend R1009 by changing "Theu may not own any other type of Entity." to "A
> Political Party may not offer or accept trades in which it would recieve
> any other kind of entity, but may trade away anything it owns."
> 
> Amend R1013 by changing the second paragraph from:
> "An Organization may, as an action, use any Secret Laboratory it owns to
> build a Gadget from any existing Qualified Blueprint. This new Gadget is
> created in the Organization's possession three days after this action is
> announced. Each Secret Laboratory may be used to build a gadget at most
> once each calendar month."
> 
> to:
> "An Organization may, as an action, use any Secret Laboratory it owns to
> build a Gadget from any existing Qualified Blueprint in the possession of a
> player who is one of its members, who must be named when the action is
> declared. Three days after the action is announced, if the player is still
> a member of the organization, the Gadget is created in that player's
> possession. Each Secret Laboratory may be used to build a Gadget at most
> once each calendar month."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:23:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2908

Proposal 2908
Org Patch
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

{{[
   This proposal is intended to patch the current problems regarding "illegal"
   ownership of entities by various types of organizations in a fairly
   humane manner.  It also makes temporary provision for Organizational
   Powers.
]}}

Create a new rule, numbered 1010 and entitled "Spotter," with the following
COACH-delimited text:

COACH

If any organization at any time owns one or more tradeable entities in
violation of the rules specifically pertaining to that type of organization
(e.g. R1009 for Political Parties; R1003 for VSOs), then those entities are
immediately divided among the members of the organization as evenly as
possible.  In particular, the entities of each class (e.g. A$, gadgets,
trinkets) are divided as evenly as possible.  Where the number of entities
of some class being divided is not evenly divisable by the number of
members of the relevant organization, some members will receive one more
entity of that class than the others do; which members receive the extra
entities is determined randomly.

{{[ Grace Period: ]}}
Any organization may surrender any organizational power it owns to the
Treasury, upon which action the Power is destroyed.  Any Organization which
does so will receive the original purchase price of the Power back from the
Treasury, less the standard harfer fee.  This paragraph takes precedence over
all rules governing organizations.  This paragraph is deleted from this rule
exactly one week after this rule was added to the rule set.

COACH

{{[ The following is functionally implied by the rules, but needs to be
explicitly stated for R1010 to work correctly. ]}}

Amend rule 1003, "Organizations," by inserting the sentence "A VSO may not
own anything." immediately before the sentence "Any attmpet [sic] on the
part of a VSO to perform any other kind of Orgnizational Action fails."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2909

Proposal 2909
This is One of my Least Favorite Things.
IdiotBoy (Matt Miller)

{{[This is a Damn Fine Proposal.]}}

Repeal Rule 1136.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:27:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2910

Proposal 2910
Don't Say It If You Dont Mean It
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

{{[ This is almost a CSR, but it does make a minor change to the way that
    org actions are performed.  Relatively longstanding custom has it that
    the player who suggests an action must also approve it, but rule 1005
    currently only explicitly permits the _other_ members of the org to do
    so, or to denounce.  R1005 also, however, ends the voting early only
    if _all_ members have approved.  This prop does a combination of
    codifying custom and streamlining the process a bit. ]}}

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1005 (Organizational Action) by appending the following sentence
to the end of the second paragraph: "Submission of a suggestion is considered
to constitute approval of that suggestion."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:28:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2911

Proposal 2911
Tweaks and Realignments
ThinMan (John Bollinger)

{{[ There appears to be a rivalry brewing.  This proposal adjusts the
    blueprints of the EBS and GBS a bit to help stimulate the competition.
    Both gadgets are made mechanical gadgets, and the usage paradigm for
    the GBS is modified to be a little more different from that of the EBS
    than it currently is.  In the bargain, the 10% chance of a GBS starting
    to shimmy and shake every time the boring lever is used has been
    eliminated to help preserve balance; the OicRT will be pleased to see
    that, I imagine.
]}}

Amend rule 594.7 (Blueprint: Evil Ballot Stuffer) by replacing the first
sentence with the following TINKER-delimited text:

TINKER
The Evil Ballot Stuffer (EBS) is a mechanical gadget.  When created it is
not broken.
TINKER

Amend rule 594.21 (Blueprint: Good Ballot Stuffer) in the following ways:

1) Replace the first sentence with the following GEAR-delimited text:

GEAR
The Good Ballot Stuffer (GBS) is a mechanical gadget.  When created it is
not broken.
GEAR

2) Delete the first sentence of the fourth paragraph.  {{[ "The harfy lever
   is used to create Bonus Votes."  (It isn't) ]}}

3) Replace the last two sentences of the third paragraph with the following
BOLT-delimited text:

BOLT
If exactly one GBS is so used in a particular hearing or election, then
when the results are tabulated all votes cast by EBSs are ignored.  GBSs
vote-nullification fields are very sensitive, however, so if more than
one GBS is used in any given hearing or election then none of them will
have any effect on that hearing or election.
BOLT

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:29:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2912

Proposal 2912
To make our lives easier
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal. [surprise, surprise]

In rule 212 replace the sentence "The selected Judge may decline a particular
appointment, as a public action, within 3 days of being selected" with the
sentence "The selected Judge may decline a particular appointment, as a
public action or by mailing the Clerk of the Courts, within 3 days of being
selected"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:30:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2913

Proposal 2913
Don't Touch That Dial
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[ The old rule-created trinket name-uniqueness thing again.
Luckily we have some time before anyone can sponsor another player... ]}}

Amend Rule 252, "Joining the Game", as follows:

Replace the text "the new player recieves a Trinket named 'Sponsored
by <name>' where <name> is the name of the Sponsor" with "the new player
receives a Trinket named 'Sponsored by <name> #x', where <name> is the
name of the Sponsor and x is the smallest prime number required to give
the Trinket a unique name".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2914

Proposal 2914
The spellbook crumbles to dust!  --more--
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[ In general, I don't see any reason for the Spelling Bee to be
limited to one or two players.  Mainly, I just want to be able to
use it myself.  :-) ]}}

Create a new rule, numbered 343, named "Spellbooks", with text as follows
(delimited by OTYUGH):

OTYUGH
Shimmering Spellbooks and Dull Spellbooks exist.  Both are nontradeable.
If a player ever owns more than one of either type, all but one are
destroyed.  If ever a player owns one of each type, then the Dull Spellbook
is destroyed.

Any player with either kind of Spellbook is permitted to initiate a flight
of the Spelling Bee, as in Rule 342.

In addition, a player with a Shimmering Spellbook may grant a Dull
Spellbook to another player, or destroy another player's Dull Spellbook.

To grant a Shimmering Spellbook to another player, or destroy one,
requires an action of the entire set of players with Shimmering
Spellbooks.  Such an action occurs as if that set were an Organization,
and it were an Organizational Action.

Some Offices may include possession of Shimmering Spellbooks among their
privileges; in this case, if ever the holder of such an Office does not
possess a Shimmering Spellbook, one is created in eir possession.
OTYUGH

Amend Rule 342, "Spelling Bee", by replacing "an officer privileged to
do so" with "a player privileged to do so".

Amend Rule 407, "Web-Harfer", to replace "To initiate flights of
the Spelling Bee" with "To possess a Shimmering Spellbook".

Amend Rule 430, "Spelling Exchequer", to replace "to initiate flights
of the Spelling Bee" with "to possess a Shimmering Spellbook".

{{ Create a Dull Spellbook in the possession of the player who is
legally able to assume the name Alfvaen. }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2915

Proposal 2915
Thou Hast Besquirted Me!
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Warning Contains: Herald

Create a new rule, numbered 1160, named "Heraldry", with the following
text(delimited by GULES):

GULES
Any player or Organization may have a Coat of Arms.  Coats of Arms are
nontradeable entities.

There exists the Optional Office of Herald.  The Herald has the Privilege
of granting Coats of Arms, and this is the only way they may be bestowed.

Any entity eligible to have a Coat of Arms may submit a proposed design to
the Herald.  E may refuse the design at eir discretion, and must do so if
it is the same as the Coat of Arms of any other player or organization.
If e approves of the design, then the entity requesting the Coat of Arms
shall pay the Standard Harfer Fee, and the Herald shall announce the
Coat of Arms publicly by posting its blazon.  (A blazon is a textual
description of the Coat of Arms in standard heraldic language.)

In addition, the Senate may submit proposed designs for an Ackanomic coat
of arms to the Herald.  When the Herald approves such a Coat of Arms, e
shall call a Hearing(and be the Harfer thereof)to see whether the populace
of Ackanomic approves of the design.  The valid responses to the Hearing
are "The flower of Knighthood would be proud to be caparisoned thusly!"
and "I'd rather see 'Or, a gorges Purpure!'"

If the response is "The flower of Knighthood would be proud to be
caparisoned thusly!", then the Coat of Arms is made the official
Ackanomic Coat of Arms.  If the response is "I'd rather see 'Or, a gorges
Purpure!'", then the Coat of Arms is rejected.  (If the blazon of the
Coat of Arms is actually "Or, a gorges Purpure", then the Coat of Arms
is assumed to be rejected without need for Hearing.)

If at all possible, the Herald should try to maintain a web page of
graphical depictions of all the Coats of Arms of the various players and
Organizations that possess them, or failing that, their blazons.

If the bearer of a Coat of Arms should ever be found guilty of a Crime
(i.e. a CFCJ's final verdict is that they committed a Crime), then the
Herald, may, as a privilege, alter eir Coat of Arms by means of an
abatement.  E may also set conditions to the Arms-bearer for the removal
of the abatement.

Coats of Arms are not Garments, but for A$10 a player with a Coat of Arms
may purchase a Surcoat bearing their Coat of Arms.  Surcoats are Garments.
GULES

{{ Appoint Alfvaen to the position of Herald. [ As is traditional, if
anyone else really wants it, I will resign and we can do the full
Election thing. ] }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:34:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2916

Proposal 2916
Fair play in Eleusis
JT (JT Traub)

Add the following paragraph as the second paragraph for rule 1250.23 section 9
The Deus may award a FairPlay point to a player if there is no Referee.
For purposes of this paragraph, the Deus is treated as if they were the
Referee of the game and thus are restricted as per rule 1250.1 Section
XIII on the number of FairPlay Awards they may award.  This paragraph
takes precedence over rule 1250.1 if there is a conflict.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: nomicbot <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2917

Proposal 2917
The Giant Salt Lick
JT (JT Traub)

The Giant Salt Lick is a nameless, nontradeable entity.
The Chartreuse Goose is allergic to the Giant Salt Lick because the
Salt Lick contains monosodium glutamate in addition to sodium hydrochloride.
When a player who has the Giant Salt Lick is given the Chartreuse Goose by
any means, the Chartreuse Goose immediate flees to another active player at
random.
Whenever a player submits a proposal with the words 'monosodium glutamate'
and that proposal is accepted, the Giant Salt Lick is immediately transferred
into their possession upon that player making a public statement to the
effect that they are licking the salt lick. [IE noone is ever required to
take the lick unless they really want to.]
Other rules may specify other means by which the Giant Salt Lick is
transferred.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #51
********************************