Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #37
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest       Saturday, April 4 1998       Volume 03 : Number 037

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 17:45:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2828

Proposal 2828
It pays to advertise (2nd times the charm)
JT (JT Traub)

Warning Contains: Sponsor

Amend Rule 252 Section II as follows
Replace the following OLD delimited text

OLD 
A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot do so as a Returning player,
should notify the Registrar, providing a valid email address, their real name,
and the legal Ackanomic name they wish to play under. Upon them providing this
information, should the requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the
Registrar shall post a public message announcing the new player and providing
their Ackanomic name, real name, and email address, and if the prospective
player provided it, how they discovered the game. Upon the posting of such
an announcement, the person becomes registered as a player. 
OLD 

with the following NEW delimited text 

NEW 
A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot do so as a Returning player,
should notify the Registrar, providing a valid email address, their real name,
the legal Ackanomic name they wish to play under, and optionally the Ackanomic
name of the current active player who convinced them to join the game or
where they heard about the game. Upon them providing this information, should
the requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the Registrar shall post
a public message announcing the new player and providing their Ackanomic
name, real name, and email address, and if the prospective player provided it,
the optional information.  Upon the posting of such an announcement, the
person becomes registered as a player.   If the active player named by the
new player informs the Registrar within a 'small' period of time (preferably
before the new player actually sends email) then that current active player
shall be known as the Sponsor of the new player.  The Sponsor is valid if and
only if they notify the Registrar and the new player mentions them as their
sponsor.
NEW 

Amend Rule 252 Section III as follows 
Replace the following OLD delimited text 

OLD 
3) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player. If the Mentor
   was chosen from the volunteer pool, e receives A$25 from the Treasury
   immediately; otherwise, e receives A$25 if and when e accepts the
   mentorship. 
OLD 

with the following NEW delimited text 

NEW 
3) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player.  If the player
   provided a valid Sponsor, that Sponsor shall be the first choice of Mentor
   for the new player if e is eligible as a Mentor.  If the Mentor was chosen
   from the volunteer pool, e receives A$25 from the Treasury immediately;
   otherwise, e receives A$25 if and when e accepts the mentorship. 

4) If the player provided a valid Sponsor the new player recieves a Trinket
   named 'Sponsored by <name>' where <name> is the name of the Sponsor. This
   Trinket has a value of A$10 and a description of 'I joined the madness
   on <date> at the urging of <name>' where <date> is the date the new player
   joined and <name> is the name of the Sponsor.   The Sponsor shall likewise
   recieve a Trinket named '<name> is all my fault' with a value of $A10 and
   a description of 'On <date>, I encouraged <name> to join.' where <date> is
   as above and <name> is the name of the new player. 
NEW

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 17:48:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2829

Proposal 2829
Harfmeister as Style Guru
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

{{[Proposals can be harfy, but so can other stuff - why not let the
Harfmeister judge the style of that as well?]}}

Amend Rule 1112, "Let there be Harf!", by inserting the following
GURU-delimited text immediately before the text "The Harfmeister may use
his or her discretion":

GURU
The Harfmeister should also be on the lookout for particularly harfy
courses of action, things which might later be considered for a Silver
Moon, or at least are worth a good laugh at the time.  The Harfmeister has
the privilege of designating a player other than emself to be
"Funky and Stylish".
At most one player is "Funky and Stylish" at any one time; a designation
of a player as "Funky and Stylish" removes the designation of
"Funky and Stylish" from any other player possessing it.  When a player is
designated "Funky and Stylish", they gain 5 points. Only one player may be
designated "Funky and Stylish" per calendar week.

This privilege of the Harfmeister should be used regularly, when it is
justified.  Failure to do so on a regular basis, without justification,
may lead to accusations that the Harfmeister is hogging the harf, as
described below.
GURU

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 17:50:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2830

Proposal 2830
Curse the B-ack!
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Modify rule 961 by replacing:

"Ackans who visit the Wilds of Ackanomia must be careful to avoid the Curse
of the B-Ack. It is therefore best that they keep quiet when in the Wilds.
Therefore, each day that a player is in the Wilds of Ackanomia and posts a
public message, there is a 40% chance that the B-Ack will hear the player and
chase them on the following day. The player will be treated as if e had Gone
Postal. This is because (i) further public messages ruin a player's attempts
to elude the B-Ack, and thus lead to further hiding, and (ii) the only
weakness of the B-Ack is good poetry."

with:

"Ackans who visit the Wilds of Ackanomia must be careful to avoid the Curse
of the B-Ack. It is therefore best that they keep quiet when in the Wilds.
Therefore, each day that a player is in the Wilds of Ackanomia and posts a
public message, there is a 40% chance that the B-Ack will hear the player and
chase em for the rest of eir stay in the wilds. 

If the B-Ack hears a player then the player will be treated as if e is hosed
as by a BWG laser for as long as e remains in the wilds or twenty-four hours,
whichever is shorter. This is because:
(i) further public messages ruin a player's attempts to elude the B-Ack, and
thus lead to further hiding.
(ii) the only weakness of the B-Ack is good poetry."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 20:36:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2831

Proposal 2831
All We Like Sheep.
IdiotBoy (Matt Miller)

Amend the text of rule 106 by replacing the following FREETHINKING
delmited text

FREETHINKING
Voting Players may vote either YES, NO, or PRESENT on each proposal
FREETHINKING

with the following HERD-MENTALITY delimited text

HERD-MENTALITY
Voting Players may vote either YES, NO, BAA! or PRESENT on each proposal
HERD-MENTALITY

{{[You will note that, while this adds a new vote, presently
 a BAA! vote is functionally equivalent to a PRESENT vote.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 20:38:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2832

Proposal 2832
Literature modification
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

{{[Remember my ill-fated and hideously flawed (I'm good at that sort
of thing, aren't I?) proposal from a bit ago? Well it's b-ack and it's
better than ever.]}}

Modify rule 210 (Literature) by replacing the NOW delimited text below
with the CHANGE delimited text, and the following ONE delimited text
with the following TWO delimited text below:

NOW
A) The proposal must contain in it's body [as opposed to title] one or more
quotations from sources listed on the Literature list. This quotation must be
an exact copy of words found in, written, uttered or otherwise communicated
by the source, enclosed in quotation marks. It must be either a complete
sentence of 7 words or more, or a contiguous phrase of at least 14 words in
length. [This last bit is to try and stop people from trying to pass off "to
be" as a quote from Hamlet, and the like.]
NOW

CHANGE
A) The proposal must contain in its body [as opposed to title] one or more
quotations from sources listed on the Literature list. This quotation must be
an exact copy of words found in, written, uttered or otherwise communicated
by the source, enclosed in quotation marks. It must contain one of the
following:

(i) a complete sentence or series of consecutive sentences totalling 7
words or more [i.e. if a player has two sentences of six words in
length it is a phrase of consecutive sentences totaling seven or more
words].

(ii) a continuous phrase of at least 14 words in length

(iii) a phrase that is not found in any other piece of literature. 

[The reasoning for these limitations is to try and stop people from
trying to pass off "to be" as a quote from Hamlet, and the like. There
are however some short snippets that are very unique to individual
pieces and this takes that into account.]

It is up to the player who submitted the proposal to find proof that
his quote is indeed literature, and up to any player to find another
piece of literature that also contains the quote. All such proofs are
adjudicated by the scorekeeper, unless the scorekeeper submitted the
proposal, in which case it should be adjudicated by the President. If
the scorekeeper and president are the same person then it will be
adjudicated by any other random active player (as selected by the
OiCoRT).
CHANGE

ONE
II. Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, it's author gains X
points. X is either the number of sentences quoted according to section I of
this rule, or the number the total number of words quoted according to
section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller. 
ONE

TWO
II. Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, its author gains X
points. X is either, the number of sentences, or series of sentences, quoted
according to section I of this rule, or the total number of words
quoted according to section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller. [That is,
for each sentence or phrase which is eligible to be literature the author
scores one point, taking the lower total if there are more than two ways in
which such a phrase is eligible, i.e. two complete sentences making a total
of fourteen words would only score one point.]
TWO

{{[The change here means that if, for example, there is a proposal containing
two consecutive sentences of six words each, it can now be counted as
literature. It's only a small change, I know, but one I feel is necessary.
Previously, scoring from literature was not fully described, but it is now.
IMHO, of course :-). And since the last version I've also put the emphasis on
the player submitting the proposal to prove that it is literature.]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #37
********************************