Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #36
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest        Friday, April 3 1998        Volume 03 : Number 036

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 01:50:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retracta

Given such vociferous opposition to one of my proposals hasn't been seen
for a while, I am retracting Proposal 2824, "Encyclopaedia Ackanomica".

- -- 
Duncan C. "" Richer aka
Slakko (Lost) Warner - http://dcr24.quns.cam.ac.uk/ - Queens' College
Cambridge, 1st Yr PhD(PMa) - .Nomic Elector, Frgn Minister, HP(Morpork)
Acka - President "Gumball" Web-Harfer RuneMaker ChessUmpire Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 14:03:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2825

Proposal 2825
Next Station Camden Town
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.
{{[The title is a reference to Mornington Crescent - the inspiration
behind Abstract Crescent.  Basically, I found a few ways to tweak and
otherwise improve the game, including the elimination of a couple of
problem spots such as the possibility of player leaving and rejoining
scams, and lone player submissions.]}}

Amend Rule 1250.21, "Abstract Crescent", as follows:

(a) replace the following SLOW-delimited text:

SLOW
2. The playing section of the Round is complete after either three days
have passed since the Round was announced, or all players have emailed
their plays to the Referee, whichever comes first. 
SLOW

with the following FASTER delimited text:

FASTER
2. The playing section of the Round is complete after either three days
have passed since the Round was announced, or sufficient players have
emailed their plays to the Referee to determine the result of the Round,
whichever comes first.
FASTER

{{[Twice now rufus has failed to submit turns which would have had no
effect whatsoever on the result.  When this was the case, I have had to
wait two days for no benefit.  I'd rather see games played quickly - it
keeps them more interesting.]}}

(b) replace the text "3. Scoring" with "4. Scoring" wherever it occurs.

(c) insert the following FENCEPOST-delimited text immediately after the
text "by any other player that Round.":

FENCEPOST
If only one player should submit a number in any given round, then that
player shall win the Round and gain 2*n points, where n is the current
number of players.
FENCEPOST

{{[Currently as the rules stand the unfortunate lone submitter would get
an undefined number of points.]}}

(d) append the following NOSNEAKS-delimited text:

NOSNEAKS
5. Leaving and Re-joining
When a player leaves a game of Abstract Crescent, any positive points they
had earned in that game are lost.  Should they rejoin that game at a later
date, their score upon rejoining will be the lower of the score they had
when they last left the game and 0.
If a player fails to submit a number in 3 consecutive rounds, then the
Referee may declare them to have left at the end of the third such round.
Such a declaration is equivalent to the player consenting to leave 
the game.

{{Any game of Abstract Crescent in progress when this proposal is passed
now runs according to the updated rules.}}
NOSNEAKS

{{[You stay - you play.  Otherwise it just puts a hole in the number
sequences, which can have a significant impact on scoring.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 14:05:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2826

Proposal 2826
Helping the Harfers
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest Proposal.
In Rule 534 [The Ackan Reserve] replace "a functional office" with "an
optional functional office."

To the end of Rule 530 [The Stock Market] add this paragraph:

If the Chair of the Ackan Reserve is filled in a non-acting capacity, the
Stock Market is not Frozen.  If the Chair of the Ackan Reserve is not
filled in any capacity, the Stock Market is Frozen.  If the Chair of the
Ackan Reserve is filled in an acting capacity only, the acting Chair is
empowered to Freeze or un-Freeze the Stock Market, provided e has not
changed the Stock Market's state in the last three days.  While the Stock
market is Frozen, neither the activity value nor the positivity value will
change, the remainder of this Rule notwithstanding.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 14:07:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2827

Proposal 2827
It pays to recruit
JT (JT Traub)

{{[ All amendments in this rule apply to rule 252 ]}}

Amend section II as follows.
Replace the follwing OLD delimited text

OLD
A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot do so as a Returning
player, should notify the Registrar, providing a valid email address, their
real name, and the legal Ackanomic name they wish to play under. Upon them
providing this information, should the requested name indeed be a legal
Ackanomic name, the Registrar shall post a public message announcing the new
player and providing their Ackanomic name, real name, and email address,
and if the prospective player provided it, how they discovered the game.
Upon the posting of such an announcement, the person becomes registered as
a player. 
OLD

with the following NEW delimited text

NEW
A person wishing to join the game, and who cannot do so as a Returning
player, should notify the Registrar, providing a valid email address, their
real name, the legal Ackanomic name they wish to play under, and optionally
the current active player who convinced them to join the game or where they
heard about the game. Upon them providing this information, should the
requested name indeed be a legal Ackanomic name, the Registrar shall post a
public message announcing the new player and providing their Ackanomic name,
real name, and email address, and if the prospective player provided it, the
optional information.  Upon the posting of such an announcement, the person
becomes registered as a player.   In order for this sponsorship to be legal
the sponsor should tell the Registrar prior to the new player joining that
the new player will be joining, but some leniency for the vagaries of mail
should be given.  A sponsor is valid if and only if the above conditions are
met.
NEW

Amend section III as follows

replace the following OLD delimited text

OLD
3) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player. If the Mentor
was chosen from the volunteer pool, e receives A$25 from the Treasury
immediately; otherwise, e receives A$25 if and when e accepts the mentorship. 
OLD

with the following NEW delimited text5

NEW
3) The Registrar shall select a Mentor for the new player.  If the player
provided a valid sponsor, that sponsor shall be the first choice of Mentor
for the new player if e is eligible.  If the Mentor was chosen from the
volunteer pool, e receives A$25 from the Treasury immediately; otherwise,
e receives A$25 if and when e accepts the mentorship. 
NEW

Add the following section to rule 252 section III
4)  If the player provided a sponsor the new player recieves a Trinket
named 'Sponsored by <name>' where <name> is the name of the sponsor.  This
trinket has a value of A$10 and a description of 'I joined the madness on
<date> at the urging of <name>' where <date> is the date the new player
joined and <name> is the name of the sponsor.  The sponsor shall likewise
recieve a Trinket named '<name> is all my fault' with a value of $A10 and
a description of 'On <date>, I encouraged <name> to join.' where <date> is
as above and <name> is the name of the new player.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #36
********************************