Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #34
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Wednesday, April 1 1998      Volume 03 : Number 034

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:44:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2794 rejected

Results of Proposal 2794

13/18 votes: Quorum achieved
4/11 YES votes: Proposal rejected

    YES:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Slakko               (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)

    NO:
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Guy Fawkes
JT                                      [JT is no longer Pending]
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)

    PRESENT:
Attila the Pun
breadbox

    ABSTAINED:
else...if            (Klingon)
rufus                (SPAM)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2794 - Tue 24 Mar 1998 19:13 EST
> This Has Just Gone on Long Enough.
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> {{[Buildings floating in the air,
> Never get you anywhere,
> Time has come for things to change.
> Put the home back on the range.
> ]}}
> 
> {{/dev/voyager0, norpan - Cell Block H, Mohammed's Autumn Hammock, Temple
> of the Damned, and VOYAGER I are all given emergency tethers, and connected
> to the kaas B4, K1, F9, D7 and I1 respectively. They are then reconnected
> to the ground properly via new Suction Cups and are no longer dangling.}}
> 
> {{All dangling buildings are no longer dangling and are given suction
> cups.}}
> 
> Delete the last three paragraphs of Rule 1313.
> {{[the parts of the Tornado rule which deal with emergency tethers - as
> they will no longer be relevant.]}}
> 
> Delete the last two paragraphs of Rule 1309.
> {{[Dealing with emergency tethers and loss of Suction Cups.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:52:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2796 accepted

Results of Proposal 2796

15/18 votes: Quorum achieved
11/15 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Attila the Pun
Slakko               (SPAM)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
else...if            (Klingon)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
JT
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Guy Fawkes
breadbox

    PRESENT:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)

    ABSTAINED:
rufus                (SPAM)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2796 - Tue 24 Mar 1998 19:18 EST
> Providing Meaning Where We Can
> Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)
> 
> {{[ I do not think we believe in Ackanomic as a harsh place where things
> must make or break. However, granting to all the players the ability to be
> lenient and bend certain rules is not practical. On the other hand, this
> type of discretionary leniency (with checks and balances of course) is
> exactly what the Senate can do, and was meant for. ]}}
> 
> {{ Renumber this rule to 437 }}
> 
> The Senate and its membes are the guarantor of functional stability in
> Ackanomic. The following lists the Senatorial Calls which may be used to
> that effect. Only a Senator may make use of such a Call, and does so by
> making it publicly. No Call may be issued if one is already in progress.
> These powers are not actions of the Senate but of individual Senators. All
> Calls last until the end of the next day after they were issued, unless
> canceled by the President.
> 
> {{ Amend R415 to add a new power, "Oversight", to read "The president may
> invalidate a Senatorial Call currently in progress. This cancels it,
> nullifying its effects." }}
> 
> I. Quorum Call
> The senator who issued the Quorum Call is deemed to have acknowledged it
> publicly. All players who have not acknowledged the Quorum Call publicly
> before it ends gain a puppet head. In the 24 hours following the end of the
> Quorum call, only players who do not have puppet heads are not counted for
> Quorum purposes.
> 
> {{[ If the tabulator warns of low voter turn out, the Senate can help ]}}
> 
> II. Committee Call
> When a Committee Call is made, the Senator must also specify an office that
> is not the Senate. All deadlines pertaining to the duties of that office
> are now suspended and will be due 24 hours after the Committee Call
> finishes.
> 
> {{[ If a player has to leave abruptly for a short period of time, this is
> another option rather than the sledgehammer approach of removing them from
> office. It can also be a tool when an impeachment proceeding is in effect.
> ]}}
> 
> III. House Call
> When a House Call is made, a senator's Call of the past week must be
> specified. The Senate has until the end of the following day to censure
> that Call. All senators who think that Call should not have been made vote
> against. If a majority is against, then the senator who made that call
> loses 10 points and may not issue a call for seven days.
> 
> {{[ There is no such thing as a free lunch ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:03:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2797 accepted

Results of Proposal 2797

15/18 votes: Quorum achieved
8/12 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
else...if            (Klingon)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
JT
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)

    NO:
Slakko               (SPAM)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Guy Fawkes
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)

    PRESENT:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
breadbox
Attila the Pun

    ABSTAINED:
rufus                (SPAM)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2797 - Wed 25 Mar 1998 09:21 EST
> Six Degrees of Separation
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now.
> 
> {{[ Since the G&C Submission never got approved, I might as well see if it
> can get accepted another way. Remember, you drove me to this!]}}
> 
> Repeal Rule 1250.20.
> 
> Amend Rule 1250.3, "General Equipment", as follows:
> 
> Append the following text(delimited by FOOTLOOSE):
> 
> FOOTLOOSE
> V. Movie Database
> 
> a) URL: http://www.imdb.com/
> FOOTLOOSE
> 
> Create a new Rule in the Games & Contests rule suite, titled "Bacon", with
> text as follows(delimited by FLATLINER):
> 
> FLATLINER
> [ Bacon is a game inspired by the book "Seven Steps To Kevin Bacon", or a
> game known as "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon", illustrating the ubiquity of
> the actor Kevin Bacon. Consider it an exercise in graph theory. ]
> 
> General Equipment: Movie Database, Gamepoints as needed
> 
> Number of Participants: 2; Referees: 1
> 
> Rules:
> 
> The game consists of a series of rounds. At the start of each round, each
> player must name an actor or actress(hereafter referred to as an actron),
> who has appeared in at least one movie as specified in the Movie Database.
> This naming period is over when both players have named an actron, or three
> days have passed since the referee announced the start of the round,
> whichever comes first; in the latter case, if one player named an actron
> and the other did not, then the first player wins the round, and if neither
> named an actron then the round is a draw.
> 
> After the actrons have been named for a round, each player must attempt to
> construct a "Bacon chain" between the two of them. A Bacon chain consists
> of a series of links; each link must consist of the name of a movie and the
> names of two actrons who were in the movie. For a chain to be valid,
> adjacent links must have at least one actron in common. [Thus, the link
> "Terminator: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton" followed by the link
> "Twins: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny De Vito" would be a valid chain; the
> first link above followed by the link "Wayne's World: Dana Carvey, Tia
> Carrere" would not.] (If there is ambiguity between two movies or actrons
> with identical names, it is up to the referee to determine which is meant
> in each case, and to make this information available to both players.)
> 
> Each player has three days from the time the naming period ends to send
> such a chain to the referee. After this period ends or Bacon chains are
> received from each player, the referee shall post both chains.
> 
> If one player thinks that the other player's chain is invalid, then e may
> challenge it up to three days after the chains are posted. The referee will
> check each link in the Movie Database, and determine whether the chain is
> valid. Otherwise, a chain will be assumed to valid if it goes unchallenged
> for the three days. (If a player did not submit a Bacon chain for that
> round, then eir chain is considered invalid.)
> 
> If one player's chain is valid and the other's is invalid, then the first
> player wins the round. If both chains are valid and one player's chain is
> shorter than the other(contains fewer links), then e wins the round. If
> neither chain is valid, or both chains are valid and of equal length, then
> neither player wins the round.
> 
> The winner of a round receives a Gamepoint.
> 
> Winning: The winner of the game shall be the first player to obtain 5
> Gamepoints. The winner shall receive a standard Trophy. The referee shall
> receive A$8 from the Treasury upon conclusion of the game. If one player
> leaves the game, then the remaining player will win the game immediately by
> forfeit.
> 
> Cheating: Players may not consult the Movie Database themselves during the
> course of a round.
> FLATLINER

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:07:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2798 accepted

Results of Proposal 2798

15/18 votes: Quorum achieved
10/13 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
else...if            (Klingon)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Guy Fawkes
Attila the Pun
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)

    NO:
breadbox
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
JT

    PRESENT:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)

    ABSTAINED:
rufus                (SPAM)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2798 - Wed 25 Mar 1998 09:23 EST
> He Drinks A Lager Drink
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Amend Rule 1250.18, "Ye Olde Rusty Lantern", as follows:
> 
> Replace the following text(delimited by AMNESIA):
> 
> AMNESIA
> [This is just for fun. Originally I wanted to award the Bards points for
> their Ale at the end of the game, but I think it's all too open to abuse
> for that just yet. We'll see how it's played.]
> AMNESIA
> 
> with the following(delimited by NANA):
> 
> NANA
> Upon being awarded an Ale, a player also received a FairPlay Award.
> NANA
> 
> {{[ Obviously, if this is done with Ales, then we don't need the little
> explicatory clause that states we don't know what do with them. And I think
> this should work out okay. I don't think this will run afoul of the
> one-per-referee-per-calendar week clause either, because the Barkeep does
> not award FairPlay Awards, merely Ales. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:12:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2799 accepted

Results of Proposal 2799

15/18 votes: Quorum achieved
10/13 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko               (SPAM)
else...if            (Klingon)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Guy Fawkes
JT
Attila the Pun
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
breadbox
K 2                  (MetaMorph)

    PRESENT:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)

    ABSTAINED:
rufus                (SPAM)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2799 - Wed 25 Mar 1998 09:29 EST
> What Price Action?
> else...if (Henry Towsner)
> 
> replace section c of rule 530 with the following ACTIVE delimited text:
> 
> ACTIVE
> If for any reason the activity value is unspecified, it will be set to 10.
> If the activity value is less than 0, then it will immediately become 0.
> Every three hours the activity value will decrease by 1/8 of a point. The
> normality factor will be one greater than the number of activities which
> occured on the previous day. Every time an activity occurs, the activity
> value increases by 1/the normality factor. Something is only an activity if
> it is specified as one by this rule. The following are activities: the
> distribution of a proposal, CFJ, CFCJ, or CSR. The announcement of the
> beginning or end of a hearing. The passage of a great work. The addition or
> removal of a player. Any action causing a player to pay the standard harfer
> fee. The beginning or end of an election. The creation of a gadget. The end
> of a cycle. The distribution of the magic potatom, oars, raft, trombone or
> the chocolate frog. The granting of a blue cross or any other award based
> on blue cross rank. The posting of Phoebe's wisdom. A *ping*. The winning
> of a game of GAD or party chess.
> ACTIVE
> 
> Append the following GOTCHA delimited text to the end of rule 530
> GOTCHA
> A player who intentionally manipulates the stock market by any means will
> be guilty of the crime of insider trading.
> GOTCHA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:19:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2800 accepted

Results of Proposal 2800

15/18 votes: Quorum achieved
13/15 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko               (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
else...if            (Klingon)
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)
Guy Fawkes
K 2                  (MetaMorph)
JT
Attila the Pun
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
MetaMorph Unity Vote

    NO:
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)

    PRESENT:
breadbox

    ABSTAINED:
rufus                (SPAM)
Illusion
ThinMan              (Vulcan)

    VACATIONING:
Wild Card            (SPAM)

    PENDING:
IdiotBoy

> Proposal 2800 - Wed 25 Mar 1998 09:30 EST
> To wake an Elder
> K 2 (Kelly Kelly)
> 
> {{[ Balsamic Dragon's death was a shock to us all. One minute, cheerfully
> cavorting throughout the Ackan country side, the next, gasping eir last
> breath, struck down by RL. It seemed that during eir wake, and the ensuing
> nomination period for tHoE, that e was a shoo in.... but eventually e fell
> 2 votes short. It seems that since e came *that* close a 'recount' is in
> order. ]}}
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal
> 
> {{ If the number of players who voted yes on this proposal is greater than
> half the number of active players, then Balsamic Dragon is enshrined in the
> Hall of Elders. }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:23:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2809

Proposal 2809
Things got quite silly without this
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

{{[Remember the debacle we had with the org currently known as Klingon
formerly known as something to do with the standard harfer fee? We were
joining and getting thrown out in quick succession. This proposal aims to
eliminate this.]}}

Modify rule 1006 to read in full:

A player may not denounce an Organizational action which: 

1) consists entirely of eir removal from that Organization unless there are
only two members of the organisation.
2) was suggested prior to eir most recent acquisition of membership in that
Organization.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:25:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2810

Proposal 2810
A Truly Standard Harfer Fee
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[We introduced the concept of a Standard Harfer Fee, but there are still
a number of small Ackadollar values floating around the ruleset which
should probably be replaced with the SHF.  These include both payments and
receipts, so the Standard Harfer Fee is also becoming a standard harfer
salary.  This makes the game more flexible if we want to increase or
decrease the relative value of Acka currency compared to other entities 
such as Swingpoints or Points.]}}

Amend Rule 252 by replacing "e receives A$25" with "e receives an
amount equal to the Standard Harfer Fee" wherever it occurs.

{{[Amount received by Mentors on accepting a Mentorship]}}

Amend Rule 403 by replacing "monthly salary of A$25" with "monthly salary
equal to the Standard Harfer Fee" wherever it occurs.

{{[Standard Functional Officer Salary]}}

Amend Rule 405 by replacing "monthly salary of A$35" with "monthly salary
equal to A$10 more than the Standard Harfer Fee" wherever it occurs.

{{[The Speaker retains eir higher salary.]}}

Amend Rule 596 by replacing "shall receive A$15" with "shall receive an
amount equal to the Standard Harfer Fee" wherever it occurs.

{{[The amount received by the Mad Scientist for creating an FM]}}

Amend Rule 620 by replacing "18 A$ shall be paid" with "the Standard
Harfer Fee shall be paid", wherever it occurs, and "the 18 A$ is not paid"
with "the Standard Harfer Fee is not paid", wherever it occurs.  Also
amend it by replacing "12 A$ to treat the Goose" with "the Standard
Harfer Fee to treat the Goose", wherever it occurs, and "5% chance"
with "10% chance" wherever it occurs.

{{[The amount spent on Goose Chow each time officer salaries are paid.
It's a small increase, I don't see that an extra A$7 should be a
problem. I've also doubled the cost of luxuries, but at the same time
doubled the chance that the Goose will take pity and fly away when
luxuries are offered, to maintain the balance.]}}

Amend Rule 910 by replacing "will cost the player A$30" with "will cost
the player the Standard Harfer Fee", wherever it occurs.

{{[This changes the price to change Beldin's Pants.  A small price drop,
and the event is so rare anyway (The Secret) that this shouldn't happen
too often.]}}

Amend Rule 925 by replacing "A$ 20" with "the Standard Harfer Fee"
wherever it occurs.

{{[This slightly increases the cost of Starting up a Newspaper, but I
think that for the sake of standardisation of fees this is worth it.]}}

Amend Rule 1125 by replacing all instances of "A$30" and all instances of
"A$25" with "the Standard Harfer Fee"

{{[These are the penalty values for lame or hot trinkets, all close enough
to the standard harfer fee that I think they can be transferred over
safely.]}}

Amend Rule 1317 by replacing all instances of "A$25 for misleading" with
"the Standard Harfer fee for misleading", and all instances of "A$25
compensation" with "compensation equal to the Standard Harfer fee".

{{[The Codex of Kra - these are the penalties / compensation for bogus or
falsely claimed bogus translations from the Codex.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:27:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2811

Proposal 2811
Striking Out Into The World
Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)

{{ The person in charge of updating the rule set must chose this rule's
number, such that it is an unused integer greater than 42 and less than
4242 }}

All player mentioned by their real or Ackanomic name in a publication in
the real world which also contains the word Ackanomic will gain 20
points for each such publication.

Players should submit such occurences to the Speaker (or if the Speaker
themselves, to the president) for acknowledgement and also to the public
forum.

It is good form for the Historian to take note of this.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:29:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2812

Proposal 2812
Bluebird of Friendliness
Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)

Ackanomic is not a sad place. However, a player whose proposal fails to
pass might crash the mood. Hence the last player whose proposal did not
pass will get the Bluebird of Friendliness. She is a Blue canary who
likes to perch in the outlet by the light switch of that player's home.
She spends her time watching over him like a guardian angel, always
near.

Players may not speak of her in public, nor ownership recorded anywhere
explicitly. It is a private matter. {{[ which will save work! ]}}

People who don't know better think the Bluebird of Friendliness looks
like a common light bulb. They are just a room full of screaming
argonauts who can't listen when she leaves out the whistles and bells.

{{[ As an aside, I first wanted for this proposal to be literature,
considering how much I quote from the song. However, it's tough. In the
end, I wanted to have a good BoF proposal rather than a patchy one that
would get the (ridiculously) small amount of extra points. Any one else
find that problem? ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:30:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2813

Proposal 2813
Swinger Swingpoint Simplification
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Currently Rule 1044 says a lot more than it needs to.  A slight
simplification wouldn't hurt to make the rules more readable, and it has
only one side effect - enabling the 7th best, 8th best, etc. Swingers to
get swingpoints if they have non-zero weight.  Given that this would only
ever add 1, 2 or in an extremely rare case 3 Swingpoints to someone's
total, and in such cases some other Swinger is earning 8, 9 or 10, I don't
see this side effect as anything more than minor.]}}

Amend Rule 1044, Swingpoints, by replacing the following ITERATE-delimited
text:

ITERATE
2. a. Every two weeks on Monday the Chess-Umpire awards Swingpoints to
Swingers who have positive Weights according to the following scheme: 
(i) The Swinger or Swingers with the highest Weight receives NoS
SwingPoints. 
(ii) The Swinger or Swingers with the second highest Weight receives NoS-1
SwingPoints. 
(iii) The Swinger or Swingers with the third highest Weight receives NoS-2
SwingPoints. 
(iv) If NoS>4 then the Swinger or Swingers with the fourth highest Weight
receives NoS-3 SwingPoints. 
(v) If NoS>5 the Swinger or Swingers with the fifth highest Weight
receives NoS-4 SwingPoints. 
(vi) If NoS>6 then the Swinger or Swingers with the sixth highest Weight
receives Nos-5 SwingPoints. 
b. If it is not possible to find a Swinger that answers the description in
any of the above sections, then that section is ignored. A Swinger who
received Swingpoints by one section cannot receive Swingpoints by section
which follows it. 
c. If the application of Section 2a results in Swingpoints being awarded
to at least one Party Swinger on a particular Monday, then all other
members of the Party of the Party Swinger who received more Swingpoints
than any other Party Swinger (or the only Party Swinger who received
Swingpoints, if only one received any) each receive one Swingpoint for eir
support immediately after Swinger Swingpoints are awarded. 
ITERATE

with the following PARALLEL-delimited text:

PARALLEL
2. a. Every two weeks on Monday the Chess-Umpire awards Swingpoints to
Swingers who have positive Weights.  Each such Swinger receives a number
of Swingpoints equal to the number of Swingers (excluding Swingers on
Vacation, but including Acting Swingers) with equal or lower Weights.

b. If the application of Section 2a results in Swingpoints being awarded
to at least one Party Swinger on a particular Monday, then all other
members of the Party of the Party Swinger who received more Swingpoints
than any other Party Swinger (or the only Party Swinger who received
Swingpoints, if only one received any) each receive one Swingpoint for eir
support immediately after Swinger Swingpoints are awarded. 
PARALLEL

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:45:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2814

Proposal 2814
Demolishing
Attila the Pun (Micah Smulker)

Create a rule, numbered 1182, and titled "Preposterous Hearings", with the
following text, delimited by "BESTER"

BESTER

Warning: contains "Preposterous"

Any player may call a Preposterous Hearing at any time.  As its name may
suggest, a Preposterous Hearing is a hearing; the player who called it
is its Hearing Harfer.

The valid responses to a Preposterous Hearing are: "'Tenser', said the
Tensor", "That was by way of being artistic license" [Terry Pratchett,
Small Gods, p. 220], and "'Data' is plural, thank you very much."

If more players voted "'Tenser,' said the Tensor" than either of the
other two possibilities, then each player who voted "That was by way
of being artistic license" shall gain 5 points, and each player who
voted "'Data' is plural, thank you very much" shall lose 5 points.

If more players voted "That was by way of being artistic license"
than either of the other two possibilities, then each player who
voted "'Data' is plural, thank you very much" shall gain 5 points,
and each player who voted "'Tenser,' said the Tensor" shall lose 5
points.

If more players voted "'Data' is plural, thank you very much" than
either of the other two possibilities, then each player who voted
"'Tenser,' said the Tensor" shall gain 5 points, and each player who
voted "That was by way of being artistic license" shall lose 5 points.

It is the Crime of Gratuitous Preposterousness to call a Preposterous
Hearing when one has already been called within the past 30 days.

BESTER

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:47:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2815

Proposal 2815
Everyone needs a gender identity
JT (JT Traub)

Each player has a property 'gender' which can take any of 3 values and
begins with the value 'Androgynous' when a new player is created.
{{ All existing players gain the property 'Gender: Androgynous' }}
   Each player may change eir gender to any other valid value of the gender
property as a public action.
   The valid values for the gender property are 'Male', 'Female', and
'Androgynous'.
   No player may have more than one gender at any given time.
   It is considered to be the Crime of Sexual Discrimination for any player
to refer to any other specific player by an inappropriate pronoun for their
current publically knowable gender in a public message.
   Androgynous pronouns (e, em, eir) are always correct, regardless of
gender.
{{[ Note that since rules do not refer to a specific player, they are not
a problem under this proposal, and should continue to be taken as they are
now to apply to any player, regardless of chosen gender]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:48:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2816

Proposal 2816
The Tensor
JT (JT Traub)

The Tensor is a unique unownable entity, similar to the Spelling Bee.
Like the Spelling Bee, it can only operate on and move through Stingable
Entities and may not operate on, nor move through any other entity.
  It is said the Tensor abhors poor grammar, most especially instances
where the tense of two seperate words in a phrase are in conflict.
  The Tensor may be initiated by any officer that has the right to initiate
a Spelling Bee, and is initiated by a public message with the term 'Tensing:'
in the subject, and in the body of the message, a list of all changes being
made, clearly identified by title, number and document as appropriate, the
phrase being replaced, and the phrase to replace it with.
   Noone, other than the authorized officers may initate a use of the Tensor,
and no use which contains illegal changes will be initated.
   The only permitted use of the Tensor is to change words from one tense in
the English language to another tense such that the new tense agrees with the
tenses of other words in the item changed.
   The Tensor may not be used to change the meaning of a given item by its
action.
   Upon the legal use of the Tensor being announced, the changes will take
effect.
   Changes made by the Tensor will not be included in the history of the
item changed.  This rule takes precedence over other rules which require
such notation.

{{[ Please note that this rule uses the phrase 'said the Tensor' in accordance
with rule 207.1]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:50:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2817

Proposal 2817
Got Silver?
Hubert (Eric Plumb)

Bribe: If this proposal is accepted, each player that voted YES on it
shall receive A$15 from Hubert.

Warning Contains: Werewolf

[ I thought I'd try this once more as a Song, getting rid of the
Astronomer part.  There is currently no way that I know of for its Trigger
to be true, but there should be. :-) (I think the moons are going to play
a crucial role in the future of Acka, and we should start to study them
more closely.) ]

Create a new Rule, said the Tensor, as a member of the Ackanomic Sound
System Rule Suite with the title "ASS Song: Werewolves of London" and the
following JAGGER-delimited text:

JAGGER
Title: Werewolves of London

Artist: Warren Zevon

Trigger: It is publically knowable that one or more Ackanomic moons are
full. 

Duration: Until the moon or moons that triggered this song are no longer
full.

Effect: When this song is triggered, the Werewolf of London (hereafter
Werewolf) begins to roam the streets of Ackanomic.  Each time, while this
Song is playing on the ASS, that one or more of the following three 
conditions become true:

a) a player's Location changes, whether voluntarily or not,
b) it is determined that a player is being followed by the B-Ack,
c) any two players post messages to public fora, each mentioning that a
certain other player "got mutilated late last night," ["Werewolves
of London," Warren Zevon] {{[ yes, I know I don't get Lit points ]}}

the Werewolf will bite the player for whom that condition is true.

The Werewolf of London is a unique, unownable entity.  If the Werewolf
should bite a player, that player becomes Lycanthropic in the animal of
eir choice if e is not Lycanthropic already.  If e has not chosen an
animal within three days, an animal shall be assigned to em by the Mad
Scientist.  {{[ True, this too has no effect yet, but may soon. ]}}

Players may only become Lycanthropic as defined by the Rules.  The 
Web-Harfer is encouraged to provide an account of which players are
Lycanthropic, and in which animal.

Explanation: "Ah-ooooo, the Werewolves of London." ["Werewolves of
London," Warren Zevon]
JAGGER

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:53:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2818

Proposal 2818
Didn't Mean It That Way
Hubert (Eric Plumb)

Amend Rule 330, "Retractions," by appending the sentence "A player who
retracts his own proposal in this manner loses 2 points." to the end of
the first paragraph.  [ No more free rides... ]

Amend Rule 330, "Retractions," by changing the word "member" in its
penultimate sentence to "player".

[ These changes were unintended side effects of my first accepted
Proposal.  I was young and foolish then, and I'll hopefully be old and
Foolish now... said the Tensor. ]

Amend Rule 340, "Conventions," by appending the sentence "Text delimited
by double quotes is known as a string." to the end of section III.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:55:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2819

Proposal 2819
DNotTHS
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Create a rule numbered 842 Titled "The Town Hall" with the following
text:

The Town Hall is a lavish building and a Common Location.

The building's exterior is clad in chartreuse marble.
From a flag pole fourteen cat heights high mounted on the highest point
of the roof, flies the Ackanomic Flag. During a state funeral when an
Elder is inducted it is flown at half mast.
Leading up to the building are a series of steps each, one cat height
high and one cat height long. At any moment in time there is exactly one
more step than there are players enshrined in the hall of Elders
(material and labour required for construction is generously provided by
the Ackanomic Construction Guild Inc.). Engraved on the riser of each
step in
gold lettering is the name of an Elder, starting with the most recently
inducted on the top most step. On the bottom most step in the language
of the ancients is the phrase "Said the Tensor: Let Their Be Harf".

On the second Tuesday of each month a player may dance on the Town Hall
Steps, provided that:
i) e pays $A2 to The First Citizen for a Exhibitionist's permit.
ii) During the previous three days e had a proposal accepted, was
acquitted of a crime or had a CFJ submitted by em, ruled in eir favour
(ie True).
iii) the dance is described in verse.

Failure to comply to these requirements constitutes the crime of Rampant
Exhibitionism.
At all times it is illegal to dance naked on the Town Hall Steps.

{{[ Okay, so its a blatant attempt at foolishness, but worth a try none
the less :) ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:56:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2820

Proposal 2820
Hardware Reset
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Replace each occurrence of the three-word phrase "said the Tensor" in
Rule 207.1 ("That's just silly") with the three-word phrase "cows eat
grass".

{{[Note that I won't get the ten points for this proposal, thanks to
the Potato Paradox clause. But it might make things interesting on
April 8th....]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #34
********************************