Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #29
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Saturday, March 14 1998      Volume 03 : Number 029

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:14:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2775

Proposal 2775
Literature modification
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Modify rule 210 (Literature) by replacing the NOW delimited text below with
the CHANGE delimited text and the following ONE delimited text with the
following TWO delimited text below:

NOW
A) The proposal must contain in it's body [as opposed to title] one or more
quotations from sources listed on the Literature list. This quotation must be
an exact copy of words found in, written, uttered or otherwise communicated
by the source, enclosed in quotation marks. It must be either a complete
sentence of 7 words or more, or a contiguous phrase of at least 14 words in
length. [This last bit is to try and stop people from trying to pass off "to
be" as a quote from Hamlet, and the like.]
NOW

CHANGE
A) The proposal must contain in it's body [as opposed to title] one or more
quotations from sources listed on the Literature list. This quotation must be
an exact copy of words found in, written, uttered or otherwise communicated
by the source, enclosed in quotation marks. It must be either a complete
sentence or series of consecutive sentences totaling 7 words or more, or a
continuous phrase of at least 14 words in length. [This last bit is to try
and stop people from trying to pass off "to be" as a quote from Hamlet, and
the like.]
CHANGE

ONE
II. Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, it's author gains X
points. X is either the number of sentences quoted according to section I of
this rule, or the number the total number of words quoted according to
section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller. 
ONE

TWO
II. Whenever a proposal that is literature passes, it's author gains X
points. X is either the number of sentences or series of sentences quoted
according to section I of this rule, or the number the total number of words
quoted according to section I divided by 14, whichever is smaller. [That is,
for each sentence or phrase which is eligible to be literature the author
scores one point, taking the lower total if there are more than two ways in
which such a phrase is eligible, i.e. two complete sentences making a total
of fourteen words would only score one point.]

{{[The change here means that if, for example, there is a proposal containing
two consecutive sentences of six words each, it can now be counted as
literature. It's only a small change, I know, but one I feel is necessary.
Previously, scoring from literature was not fully described, but it is now.
IMHO, of course. :-)]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:14:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2776

Proposal 2776
Lick The Pole
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 611, "La grande fromage", as follows:

Rename the rule "Le Grand Fromage" {{[ to satisfy French grammar and
my own capitalization agenda ]}}.

Replace the sentence "A player receives a stilton if e the ten most
recent proposals e authored were all accepted." with "A player receives
a stilton if e the ten most recent proposals e authored, that are not in
the voting queue, were all accepted."  {{[ I just noticed that this would
eliminate anyone from getting a stilton if e had a proposal in the queue,
because it would not have been accepted.  I'm not sure whether it will
include retracted Proposals or not. ]}}

Replace the sentence "A player receives a brie if e has not had a
CFCJ called against em with a final verdict of true, during the last
two months." with the following(delimited by GILETTE):

GILETTE
A player receives a brie if no CFCJ called against em has returned a
final verdict of TRUE in the last two months.  If any CFCJ returns a
TRUE verdict against a player, any brie they may have is destroyed.
GILETTE

{{[ This is the part that was most in need of fixing. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:16:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2777

Proposal 2777
Flat as a pancake
else...if (Henry Towsner)

Replace the phrase "the underside" in rule 1310 with "a side".

	Repeal rule 1319 and 1319.1

	Create the following rule, numbered 1319, entitled "The Shape of
the World", reading as delimited by INSANITY
INSANITY
	The world is a hexatetraflexagon.  There a six sides, and Acka is
on the second.  Consequently, Acka is exposed to the outside, and therefore
daylight,for one third of the day, from 8:00am to 4:00pm, EST, which will
be considered daytime.  The Ackanomic River is located at the folds, and
runs through all six sides.  Any contact with the rest of the universe
during the night must be made by going through the water.  During the
night, the layer opposite Acka (which varies throughout the night,) is
always one half-cat height above the highest location in Acka.  Acka itself
occupies one quarter of the second side, and is surrounded on two adjacent
sides by the Ackanomic river, and on the other two by nothing.  This rule
takes precedence over the first paragraph of rule 1307.
INSANITY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:17:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2778

Proposal 2778
Plumbum
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Warning Contains: complimentary

Replace the last paragraph of Rule 675 (Mercury Poisoning) with:

If the Mad Hatters have been in possession of a given Visible Agenda Hat
for more than 7 days, and a player points this fact out, then that
Visible Agenda Hat and its complimentary Nemisis Eggplant are destroyed.

{{ All Nemisis Eggplants, for which an agenda hat with the same condtion
does not exist, are destroyed }}

{{[When TGW traded eir hat to TMH and it was subsequently destroyed the
eggplant continued to exist. I suppose if someone submitted the exact
same condition this time round things could become interesting.... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:19:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2779

Proposal 2779
Foil Wrapped with a Caramel Center
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

Replace the following COCOA delimited sentence of rule 2682, 'The
Chocolate Frog' :

COCOA
On the eleventh of each month, the Officer in Charge of Random Things
will select an active player at random to receive the Chocolate Frog,
and it will be transferred to that player.
COCOA

with the following BEAN delimited sentences:

BEAN
On the eleventh of each month, the player who gained the most points
from  the acceptance of proposals authored by em, in the previous 7 day
period, shall have the Chocolate Frog transferred to em. In the case of
a tie, amongst the tied players, the player who authored the proposal
with the lowest number which was accepted, during the pervious week,
shall have the Chocolate Frog transferred to em.
BEAN

{{[IMHO it seems more appropriate that the First Ackan, work for eir
title, rather than be randomly assigned it. This could also make 4-11 of
each month interesting...
We already have the Magic Potato being randomly distributed]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:21:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Akca: Proposal 2780

Proposal 2780
Organizational Reformation
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

{{[this is very similar to the proposal I recently retracted. There are
some differences. Organizations with fewer than three members are not
destroyed, they are simply restricted, not unlike Cults. Trade Licenses
are repealed. Parties become a type of Organization, Player-Sanctioned
organizations become Societies. The amendment to the Party rule now comes
topwise, as Slakko pointed out, this needs to be done before the
covnersion to Socieities. The kind of soft-binding that is the hall-mark
of the current system (aka the Mohamedan system) remains in the form of
transformations.  Powers are no longer tradable.
This reform may not address all the problems with the Organizational
framework. It addresses the problems that seemed the most significant
problems to me. I think this is exactly the kind of structure that allows
for growth and development.]}}

I.Amend R1009 "Big Tents and Rewarding Party Unity" to read in full: 
" A Political Party is a type of Organization. Being a member of more than
one Political Party simultaneously is the Crime of Branch-Stacking. At the
end of a proposal's voting period, but before votes on that proposal are
counted, if every active non-vacationing player member of a given
Political Party voted YES on that proposal, and no member of the Party is
also a member of some other Party, then the Political Party itself shall
cast an additional YES vote on that proposal for every three active
non-vacationing player members it has. 

Party membership and how players voted are determined based on the facts
in force at the end of the voting period for each proposal. 

A Political Party may own and Trade A$, Trinkets, and Organizational
Powers. Theu may not own any other type of Entity. 

The fee for transforming from a Society to a Party is A$300 

{{Rename this rule - 'Political Parties and Rewarding Party Unity'
Each Political Party receives A$300. All Big Tents are destroyed.}} 
" 

II.Create a new rule titled "Societies" which contains the following text: 
" 
A Society is a type of Organization. 
Society's may own A$, and Organization Powers. Societies may not own any
other type of entity. Society's may receive A$ as a gift. If a Society
receives
a Trinket as a gift, then the trinket is deemed to have been destroyed for
A$ just prior to the transfer. A Society may only transfer A$ to the
Treasury. [ this
enables a Society to purchase powers, or transform itself into another
type of Organization] 
{{All Player-Sanctioned Organization are transformed into Societies}} 
" 

III. Amend R1003 "Organizations" to read in full: 

" 
1. Forming an Organization 

Any player may publically anounce eir intent to form an Organization,
unless e is a pseudo-Founder. 
When a player has done so e becomes a pseudo-Founder for a period of
7-days. 
If during those 7 days at least two additional players publically anounce
that they wish to join the Organization the pseudo-Founder intends to
form, and the pseudo-Founder agrees, then the pseudo-Founder forms the
Organization by anouncing the Oranization's name, its type,pays the
standard Harfer's Fee, and anounces the name of its members. 
The name must be a legal name, if a type of Organization is not specified
than the Organization is of type Society. 

Any player may request membership inan Organization. The Organization may
then grant the request for membership as a public Action. When a
request for membership is granted, the player becomes a member of the
Organization. 

An Organization may, as a public action, give a particular member the
ability to grant any request for membership in that Organization, without
waiting around for the consent of the rest of the members. An Organization
may also, as a public action, establish an open admissions policy, which
means that anyone can join that Organization at any time. 

2. Organization Disbandment 

The rules may call for the disbandment of an Organization. When an
Organization is disbanded, everything owned by the Organization is
transferred to the Treasury, and the Organization is then no more. 

3. Very Small Organizations.
Organizations that have fewer than three members are known as Very Small
Organizations - or VSO. a VSO can only perform the following
Organizational Actions:
 a. Accept new members
 b. Change membership policy
 c. Change its name
Any attmpet on the part of a VSO to perform any other kind of
Orgnizational Action fails.

4. Organization Size 

The Size of an Organization is the number of members it has. Terms such as
'larger' and 'smaller', when applied to Organizations, refer to the Sizes
of
the Organizations being compared. [For example, to say that one
organization is larger than another is to say that it has more members.] 

The Active Size of an Organization is the number of Active Players who are
members of that Organization. 

5. Organization Similarity 

For any two Organizations X and Y, orgsim(X, Y) is defined as the
percentage of members of X who are also members of Y, except for the case
where X
and Y are the same, in which case it is defined to be 0. 

The H Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the greater of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

The L Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the lesser of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

The M Similarity between two Organizations, A and B, is the average of
orgsim(A, B) and orgsim(B, A). 

6. Player Liberty Clause 

No player may become a member of an Organization without first expressing
their consent to joining it. A player may leave an Organization of which
he or
she is a member at any time. 

7. Organizational Voting 
When an Organization is called on to vote, it has 7 days to conduct and
publically report the results of the vote, and how each member voted,
unless the
rules call for a different amount of time. If everyone who is eligible to
cast a vote in a given has done so, the results may be announced before
the voting
period ends. For the purposes of this rule, the composition of an
Organization is taken to be its composition at the end of any voting or
decision period.
Acting members are considered to be members in place of the members they
are acting for. 

8. Unique Organizations 
This section takes precedence over all rules concerning Unique
Organizations, and all rules concerning Organizational Powers. 
It is impermissible for Unique Organizations to use Organizational Powers. 
If a Unique Organization comes to own an Organizational Power, by any
means, then that Organizational Power has no effect on that Organization.
Unique Organization membership is defined by the rules defining the Unique
Organizations in question. If membership is not defined for a specific
Unique
Organization, then it has no members. 

9. Types of Organizations 
Other rules may define types of Organizations. 
A rule defining an Organization may define other membership requirements
and restrictions. It is permissible for a ruel defining an Organization to
add conditions under which an Organization may becoem a VSO, however, it
not permissible for any other rule to allow an Organization with fewer
than three members who are players to exist and not be a VSO.
Rules may define Unique Organizations. Such rules also implicitly define
the type of Organization. 
The rules may define ways for Organizations to transform from one type to
another. 
When an Organization transforms from one type to another, then all the
procedures that occur as a result of the disbandment of an Organization of
the
type it transforms from, and which do not occur as a result of disbandment
of an Organization of the type it transforms to, are executed. Unless
specifically restricted by other rules, an Organization of any type may
transform its type as an Organization Action by anouncing that it
transforming, the
type it is transforming to, and paying standard Harfer's Fee. Other rules
may specify higher fees for specific transformations. 

" 

IV.Amend R1008 "Organiztional Powers" by deleting the word "tradeable" 

V. Create a new rule with the following text: 
"{{Every ORganization which owns a Trade License receives A$50. All Trade
Licenses are destoryed. Repeal R1011 "Trade Licenses"}} 

VI.Amend R1013 "Secret Laboratories" by appending the following text: "An
Organization may own at most one Secret Laboratory" 

VII.Amend section 1 of R1301 "Church" to read in full:"Church is a type
of Organization"

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #29
********************************