Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #28
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest        Sunday, March 8 1998        Volume 03 : Number 028

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:12:09 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2757 accepted

Results of Proposal 2757

14/24 votes: Quorum achieved
9/14 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
K 2
Hubert               (Boomerangs)
else...if            (Klingon)
Hibert               (SPAM)
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Slakko               (SPAM)

    NO:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Illusion
Guy Fawkes
breadbox
/dev/joe             (Vulcan)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Wild Card
Hoover 2300
Vynd                 (Vulcan)
Enigma
two-star
ThinMan              (Vulcan)
Red Barn
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)

> Proposal 2757 - Sun 01 Mar 1998 15:48 EST
> Literary Genius
> The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)
> 
> Add all the following to the literature list.
> 
> Artist: Queen; the rock band
> Artist: Bob Dylan
> Work: Star Trek; the four TV shows and eight films.
> Work: Red Dwarf; the seven TV series and four novels.
> Artist: David Eddings
> Artist: Dire Straits
> Work: Casablanca
> Artist: Karl Marx
> Work: Blackadder; all four series
> Artist: Isaac Asimov
> Artist: REM
> Artist: Iain Banks; writing either as that or Iain M. Banks.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:20:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2765

Proposal 2765
Impossibility is almost possible
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

Amend rule 701 (Crime) by replacing the final sentence of the second paragraph [Currently " However, an attempt to commit such an
action is the Crime of Attempting the Impossible [even though the action itself does not occur]."] with the following:

"Although such an action does not occur it is not in itself a crime."

{{[I don't really see the need for this. All it leads to is lots of people beginning any sentence which describes an action with
'If it is possible...' which can get tiresome.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:21:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2766

Proposal 2766
Only the good... (remember song titles)
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

Modify rule 950 by adding the following text at the end of section IV:

"If a rule defining an esoteric song is created and that song is
currently being played as a mundane song then the song instantly ceases
to be being played and instead the song Barbie Girl by Aqua is played [to
encourage people to change it as quickly as possible]."

Create a new rule as a member of The Ackanomic Sound System Rule Suite
titled "ASS song: No-one But You" reading as follows:

"Title: No-one But You (Only the Good Die Young)

Artist: Queen

Trigger: Whenever a player is inducted into the hall of elders.

Duration: Three Acka days.

Effect: All players are so struck with sadness that they must remain in
the same location, mourning, whilst the song is being played. This
section of this rule defers to any rule that requires any player to
change location as an involuntary action [e.g. Bracket Smiley Pedantry].

Explanation: "One by one, only the good die young." [No-one But You (Only the
Good Die Young), Queen]. Further honouring of the elders.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:22:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2767

Proposal 2767
"Isaiah had it right."
Wild Card (Jonathan David Amery)

Create a new rule, entitled "Isaiah", reading as follows (delimited by
BIBLE) 

BIBLE
"Upon every high tower, and upon every fenced wall" [The Bible, KJV,
Is2:15] "there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the day time from the
heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from" [The Bible, KJV,
Is4:6] "storm and tempest, and the flame of devouring fire. " [The Bible,
KJV, Is29:6]
BIBLE

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:23:37 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2768

Proposal 2768
Klingon Honour in Party Chess
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 1230.2 by replacing the text:

"7. Check 
A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more opposing
pieces."

with

"7. Check 
A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more pieces
owned by a Swinger whose King is on-board."

Append the following QAPLA-delimited text to the end of Section 8 of Rule
1230.2:

QAPLA
As "Only an enemy without honour refuses to show himself in battle"
[Michael Dorn (Worf), Star Trek, The Next Generation: Evolution], a player
may not capture another player's King unless the player performing the
capture has their King on-board.  The preceding sentence has precedence
over all other parts of the Party Chess Suite which define how pieces may
capture.
QAPLA

{{[Another incentive to keep your King on-board.  Otherwise people
off-board can earn Stabber's Knives without the risk that other people
will grab Stabber's Knives back as an act of revenge.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:24:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2769

Proposal 2769
I Still Think We Shouldn't Wait a Week
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Malenkai and Balsamic Dragon both left the game with CFJ decisions
pending.  We have to wait until a week is up before these CFJs can be
reassigned.  I don't see why we should.]}}

Amend Rule 256, "Leaving the Game", as follows:

a) Renumber section 5 to section 6.
b) Insert the following text immediately after section 4:
"5) All CFJs and CFCJs they have been assigned but which they have not
returned a verdict on are reassigned randomly as if they had been
declined, even if more than 3 days have passed since the assignment.  The
preceding sentence does not apply to CFJs and CFCJs currently under
consideration by the Supreme Court."

{{[If a Justice leaves, another Justice will probably come along quickly.
But first-round judges should be replaced ASAP when they leave.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:27:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2770

Proposal 2770
Supreme Court Reform
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

[ Changes since the RFC:  (1) 2nd (and final) appeals go to the full Court
instead of a Supreme Cortex.  If the Court cannot reach unanimity within a
week, a 2/3 supermajority will do.  Justices in the minority may write
Dissents to be placed in the CFJ archive.  (2) When a Justice goes on
vacation or declines Judgment, another Justice is the first choice for
Acting Justice.  (Basically, Justices can double for each other). (3)
Senate given more time to remove a Presidentially appointed Justice. (4)
Reference to the old Jury system removed from R217, and AOJ rules reworded
to reflect new SC / Senate relationship. ]

[I. Reorganization of the Supreme Court]

Amend Rule 416's (The Supreme Court) full text to the following :) -
delimited text.

:)
The Office of Justice has a variable number of Seats.  {{The Office of
Justice has two Seats.  A player who occupied a Seat in the Office of
Justice immediately before the most recent amendment to this Rule
continues to hold a seat in the Office of Justice.  If either or both of
these Seats were empty immediately before the most recent amendment to
this Rule, the empty seat(s) remain empty until filled.}}  A player
eligible to be a Justice may, as a public action, make themselves a
Justice.  Upon them doing so, they will either occupy a formerly empty
Seat in the office of Justice (should any exist), or a new Seat in the
Office of Justice shall be created and they shall occupy it (this happens
only in the case where no Seats in the Office of Justice were empty at the
time they made themselves Justice).  When a Justice resigns or is
otherwise removed from eir Office, the seat they vacated is destroyed.
The previous sentence notwithstanding, no game events shall cause the
Office of Justice to have fewer than two seats.  The Justices are
collectively known as the Supreme Court.

Only those players eligible to be Praetor are eligible to be Justices,
except that a player holding a seat in the Office of Justice is always
eligible to hold that seat.  A player impeached from the Office of Justice
during the last 90 days is ineligible for the Office of Justice.

Should a Seat in the Office of Justice remain vacant for three days, or
should such a Seat be vacant for any length of time if there are no
players eligible to fill it, it is the privelege of the President to
appoint a willing player to fill that Office.  The appointee fills the
empty Justice seat, regardless of eir eligibility stated elsewhere in
this Rule.  Within the first two weeks of eir Justicehood, the Senate may,
as an organizational action, remove the appointee from office.  Players
who held the office of Justice for less than two weeks are not considered
former Justices for the pruposes of this or other Rules.

When a Justice goes on Vacation, a randomly selected Justice (not
including any Justices that are on Vacation or owners of the same Supreme
Cortex as the Vacationing one) shall fill that Justice's seat in the
Supreme Court in an Acting capacity.  The Clerk of the Courts shall
make the random selection.  This paragraph takes precedence over
Rules that would prevent the same player being an Officer and an Acting
Officer in the same Office.  If there are no Justices eligible to double
as Acting Justices, then the Praetor or Acting Praetor shall fill that
Justice's seat as an Acting Justice.  If the vacationing Justice is an
owner of a Supreme Cortex, then the Acting Justice performing eir duties
is treated by any other Rules dealing with Supreme Cortices to be an owner
of that Suprme Cortex in place of the Vacationing Justice.  

The Praetor or Acting Praetor shall be an Acting Justice whenever there is
a vacancy in the Supreme Court. 
:)

[II. Introducing the Supreme Cortex]

Amend the third paragraph of Rule 500.2 "Entity Ownership" to read in
full, "If an entity is nontradeable or tradeable, then it is ownable.  At
any given time, each ownable entity is either owned by one or more named
entities or Somewhere Else (unowned).  If the Rule(s) defining an
ownable entity do not explicitly state that it may have multiple owners,
then it can have at most one owner."

Create a new Rule, entitled "The Supreme Cortex" and numbered 416.1, with
the following ;) - delimited text.

;)
A Supreme Cortex (hereafter Cortex, plural Cortices) is a named,
nontradeable entity. At any time it may have zero, one or two owners.  A
Cortex with two owers is Active.  A Cortex with one owner is Undermanned. 
A Cortex with zero owners is instantly destroyed, except if it is the only
one in existence. Such a Cortex is Vacant.  

Only Justices may own a Supreme Cortex, and no Justice may own more than
one Cortex.  A Justice who owns a Cortex is Grafted; one who does not is
Ungrafted.

If there are no Vacant or Undermanned Cortices, an Ungrafted Justice may
create a new Cortex as a public action, by specifying its name ("The
Supreme Court" or any name with the same primitive form is not a valid
name for a Supreme Cortex). The new Cortex is initially Undermanned, its
creator being its sole owner.  At any time, an Ungrafted Justice or Acting
Justice may, as a public action, become an owner of a Vacant or
Undermanned Cortex.  A player ceases to be an onwer of a Cortex if they
either publically give up eir ownership of that Cortex, or cease to be a
Justice or Acting Justice. 

{{ Create a Supreme Cortex, named "The Entity Formerly Known as the
Supreme Court" (TEFKatSC for short).  All extant Justices are owners of
TEFKatSC.  All CFJ's that the Supreme Court is considering are assigned to
TEFKatSC. }}
;)

[That last bit should provide continuity through the Supreme Court
reorganization.]

[III. Appeal / Judgment Interface]

Create a new Rule, numbered 217.1 and entitled "Selecting a Cortex" with
the following :p - delimited text.

:p
Whenever the Rules call for the Supreme Court to consider a CFJ for the
first time, the Clerk of the Courts shall assign that CFJ to a Supreme
Cortex.

E shall select a Supreme Cortex (hereafter Cortex) based on the following
guidelines.
1.  E shall assign the CFJ to the Active Cortex that is already
considering the fewest CFJ's.  If multiple Active Cortices are tied for
this distinction, e shall choose randomly among them.
2.  If there are no Active Cortices, e shall assign the CFJ to the
Undermanned Cortex that is already considering the fewest CFJ's.  If
multiple Undermanned Cortices are tied for this distinction, e shall
choose randomly among them.
3.  If the only Cortex in existence is Vacant, e shall assign the CFJ to
the Vacant Cortex. 

When a Cortex is destroyed, all CFJ's assigned to it are reassigned to
another Cortex as per the above guidelines.

If the Rules direct the Supreme Court to consider a given CFJ for a second
time, the entire Court shall consider the matter (as opposed to a single
Cortex).
:p

Amend the fourth paragraph of Rule 217 (Overturning Judgment) to read,
"The Supreme Court shall then decide the case, and should return its
verdict within one week.  If this is the first time the Supreme Court has
considered that CFJ, the unanimous decision of the owners of the Supreme
Cortex that was assigned the CFJ shall be the verdict of the Court.  If
the Supreme Court has already returned a verdict on the CFJ in question,
and this verdict was appealed, the Supreme Court's verdict shall be the
unanimous decision of all non-Vacationing justices (returned within one
week of the full Court receiving the CFJ) or the decision of a 2/3
supermajority of the non-Vacationing Justices (if the Court does not reach
a unanimous decision within one week)."

In the last paragraph of Rule 217, replace, "After the fourth time a
judgement has been returned on a single CFJ, it may not be appealed
further. [The original judgement plus 3 appeals.]" with "A verdict
returned by the Supreme Court as a whole (e.g. a second appeal verdict)
may not be appealed."

Amend the last paragraph of Rule 417 (Justices Rock) to read, "When a CFJ
is assigned to the Supreme Cortex that a Justice or Acting Justice owns,
that Justice or Acting Justice may, as a public action, decline Judgment
on that CFJ.  In this case, an Acting Justice is selected to act as an
owner of that Supreme Cortex with respect to that CFJ only, in the
original Justice's or Acting Justice's stead; the procedure used to select
the Acting Justice is in this case the same as if the original Justice or
Acting Justice had gone on Vacation."

[IV.  Finishing Touches ]

Remove the last sentence of the next-to-last paragraph of Rule 217.  [A
bit of archaic language from the ill-fated Jury system].

In Rule 417 (Justices Rock) change "2) An AOJ to nullify a Senatorial
Decision to confirm a particular player to the Supreme Court." to "2) An
AOJ to nullify a Senatorial Decision to remove a particular player from
the Supreme Court."

Add the following 8$ - delimited text to the end of Rule 418.

8$
For one week following the Supreme Court returning a non-unanimous verdict
on a CFJ appeal, dissenting Justices may publically post an official
Dissent to the Supreme Court's reasoning.  This Dissent should be included
along with the majority reasoning in any CFJ archives.  {{[ 'should'
because the CFJ archives are presently unofficial. ]}} 
8$

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:29:21 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2771

Proposal 2771
My, That Rule's been revised often!
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest Proposal.  Add the following to the end of Duty b) in
Rule 407.1 (Rule-Harfer)

If the length of a Rule's revision history becomes unwieldy (in the
opinion of the Rule-Harfer), and if the format in which the Official Rules
Document supports such, a Rule's revision history may be maintained in a
separate document, with a link to this document at the bottom of the Rule
text.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:30:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2772

Proposal 2772
Activity Index Freeze
Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.  [This is meant only as a stopgap to prevent
activity abuse from wreaking havoc on the Market while the players can
agree on a more suitable index to replace it.]

Amend Rule 530, section c), to read in full, "The activity value is x."
where x is replaced by the activity value the Stock Market had immediately
prior to this amendment.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:31:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2773

Proposal 2773
Predatory Pricing
else...if (Henry Towsner)

Create a new rule named "The Price Wars" numbered 1299, with the
following GO delimited text
GO
	{{Each player recieves 10 pieces of lumber.  Each player recieves 5
pieces or mortar.}}
	Ackanomic is commisioning a major construction project, and needs
160 pieces of lumber and 100 pieces of mortar to do it.  Consequently, as
soon as this rule is created, it will accept bids from players to sell
lumber and mortar.  A player bids by publicly announcing the number of A$
they will offer each unit of lumber or mortar for, and how many they are
offering at that price.  Two weeks after this rule is created, bids will no
longer be accepted.  Initially all bids will be under consideration.  At
that point, the treasury will perform the following:
	1) It will examine the bid for lumber with the lowest A$/unit which
is under consideration.  If there are multiple bids at this price, the one
for which the smaller of the number of units offered and the number of
units owned by the offering player is larger will be examined.  If there
are still multiple bids, one will be accepted at random. (In otherwords,
the one which offers the most lumber at the smallest price will be
accepted.)
	2) It will transfer units of lumber from the player who made that
bid to the treasury one at a time until the player has no more lumber, the
treasury has 160 units of lumber, or the number of units of lumber
specified in the bid have been transfered during this step.  They player
will then be given A$ equal to the number of units of lumber that were
transfered from them times the number of A$ specified in their bid.
	3) It will remove that bid from consideration.
	4) It will repeat steps 1 through 4 until it has 160 units of
lumber, or there are no more bids under consideration.
	5) If the treasury does not have 160 units of lumber, then players
who own lumber will be selected at random to transfer a single unit of
lumber to the treasury until it does.
	6) Steps 1-5 will be repeated with mortar and up to a maximum of
100 units.
	7) Everything except the last paragraph of this rule will be repealed.

	A unit or piece of lumber of mortar is a tradeable, unnamed entity.
GO

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:33:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2774

Proposal 2774
Get Your Stinking Hands Off My Desert
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 1217, "Buried Treasure!", as follows:

In Section IV, replace the first sentence
     
{{[
   If there currently exist Treasures which have not yet been "found",
   which were buried more than 90 days ago, and for which no map
   custodian or map writer is a current player, then the Archaeologist
   has the prerogative of organizing an Expedition.
]}}

with the following(delimited by DWEEZIL):

DWEEZIL
If there currently exist Treasures which have not yet been found, for
which no map custodian or map writer is a current player, and for which
both of the previous states have been true for more than 90 days, then
the Archaeologist has the prerogative of organizing an Expedition.
DWEEZIL

{{[ This is intended to make long-buried treasures buried by recently-
departed players ineligible for Historical Artefact status. ]}}

Append to the second paragraph of section IV the following text
(delimited by VALINOR):

VALINOR
When the Archaeologist announces an Expedition, e may also specify a
certain set of Treasures which are not to be considered Historical
Artefacts for the purposes of this Expedition.
VALINOR

{{[ This way the Archaeologist can show some respect for Treasures 
    whose buriers may still return.  I leave this entirely up to em. ]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #28
********************************