Subject: acka-voting-digest V3 #24
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Saturday, February 28 1998     Volume 03 : Number 024

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:28:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2754

Proposal 2754
Lon Chaney Jr., Roll Over
Hubert (Eric Plumb)

{{ Warning Contains: Werewolf }}

{{ Add "Artist: Warren Zevon" to the Literature List. }}

Create a Rule numbered 999, with the title "Ah-ooooooo", and the following
JAGGER-delimited text:

JAGGER
There exists a unique, unownable entity known as the Werewolf of London.
The Werewolf of London (hereafter Werewolf for purposes of this Rule) is
initially in his cave, which is located Somewhere Else.

If the Werewolf of London bites a player, that player becomes Lycanthropic
in the animal of eir choice.  If e has not chosen an animal within three
days, an animal shall be assigned to em by the Mad Scientist.  Players may
only become Lycanthropic as defined by the Rules.

The Web-Harfer is encouraged, but not required, to provide an account of
which players are Lycanthropic, and in which animal.

During a Full Moon, the Werewolf will leave his cave and stalk the streets
of Ackanomic.  "Hear 'im howling at your kitchen door; better not
let 'im in." [ "Werewolves of London," Warren Zevon ]  If any player 
attempts to change eir Location during a Full Moon, the Werewolf will bite
em unless e owns Wolfbane.  Trinkets have no effect on the behavior of the
Werewolf.  {{ [Take that, Annoyers.] }}
JAGGER

Amend Rule 593, "Ackanomic Research Guild," by appending the following
VEGA-delimited text immediately before the section of that Rule beginning
with Roman numberal II.

VEGA
D. Astronomer

The Office of Astronomer has one seat.  It is a Duty of the Astronomer to
declare a Full Moon lasting from one to six Acka days at least once per
calendar month.  Each time e declares a Full Moon, e must specify which
Acka moon is Full.  No Acka moon may be declared Full more than once per
calendar month.  If it is ever the case that there is no Acka moon, the
last three sentences of this paragraph shall be repealed.

The Office of Astronomer can never be held by a player whose Ackanomic
name is Fortunato, for Fortunato is the Astronomer's mortal enemy.
VEGA

{{ Repeal the last sentence of section I, subsection D of Rule 593.  [ I
just couldn't resist. ] }}

{{ Appoint Hubert to the Office of Astronomer. [If someone else wants it 
I'll step down, but people complained about the 'hold an election'
wording in the previous version of this.] }}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:30:18 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2755

Proposal 2755
The Harf is B-Ack!
Hubert (Eric Plumb)

{{ [ Provide a way to recognize and reward those players who submit a
significant proportion of harfy proposals. ] }}

Create a new Rule, numbered 1113, entitled "Six Degrees of Harf" with the
following HAIRBALL-delimited text:

HAIRBALL
For each active voting player of Ackanomic, let the number of
non-retracted harfy proposals authored by that player divided by the
number of non-retracted non-harfy proposals authored by that player be
known as that player's Ratio of Harf, or RH.

There exist six Degrees of harfiness a player may achieve based on eir
Ratio of Harf.  For the purposes of this rule, the word Title refers to
one of these.  They are, from lowest rank to highest, and exclusive of
all parentheses and text contained therein:
Neophyte of Harf (.25)
Acolyte of Harf (.5)
Disciple of Harf (.75)
Master of Harf (1.0)
Connoissieur of Harf (1.5)
Grand Poobah of Harf (2.0)

A player may hold at most one of these Titles at any time.  No player who
has authored fewer than 10 non-retracted proposals may hold any of these
titles.  Players may only gain and lose these Titles as defined by the
Rules.

Any player who has authored at least 10 non-retracted proposals gains the
Title, if any, from the list above for which eir Ratio of Harf (calculated
to eir most recently decided Proposal) is greater than the number in
parentheses following that Title but lower than the number in parentheses
following the next higher-ranked Title.  It is the duty of each player to
notify the Speaker if e thinks e has gained a Title from the list above.
It is then the duty of the Speaker to verify this fact and, if true,
announce it publicly, with much fanfare.

Each time a player gains a Title from the list above ranked higher than
any e has held before, e gains a number of points equal to ten times eir
Ratio of Harf, rounded down.  E also loses any Titles from the list above
lower than the one e just gained.

If a player's Ratio of Harf falls below the number needed to maintain eir
Title, e loses that Title.  The only exception to this is the Title of
Grand Poobah of Harf, which can never be removed from a player so
entitled; this sentence takes precedence over any Rule which states or
implies that the Title of Grand Poobah of Harf could be removed from a
player.
HAIRBALL

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:32:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2756

Proposal 2756
Slightly Faster Spades
/dev/joe (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1250.15, "Spades", by adding the following as a new paragraph
after the existing paragraph in section 3:

Whenever there is no doubt who will win each of the remaining tricks, the
referee may interrupt play, announcing this fact as well as the remaining
plays which would have otherwise occurred, in order to speed the game along
a little faster.  [Certainly, he can at least do so for the last trick in
each hand, and sometimes more, such as if one player has the top three
spades remaining with three tricks left to play.]  Those tricks are treated
as if they were played as indicated by the referee.  {{The current spades
game(s) are changed to follow the new version of this rule.}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V3 #24
********************************