Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #269
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Saturday, January 31 1998     Volume 02 : Number 269

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:37:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2677

Proposal 2677
The New Org Order
else...if (Henry Towsner)

{{[This is my proposal for a system to replace orgs.  This comment
is both an explanation of the system, and a response to major criticisms.
This eliminates old style Organizations.  They are replaced with three
structures: Churches, which are almost identical to old Churches,
Corporations, which are like an org with a trade license, and Political
Parties.  A Political Party is virtually identical to an old Political
Party.  It can't own things, but otherwise the differences are just moving
things around, and no more Powers.  A Church is the same, except that I
adjusted the way Cults are phrased.  No practical differences.
Corporations are basically like an org, being able to own things and trade
them, but they have proportional membership.  Instead of either being a
member or not being, a player owns shares.  It requires 50% of the shares
to support certain actions, 80% for others (mostly things which give away
properties, to prevent ownign 50% from being enough to rob the corp.)
Also, they pay a small tax on many transactions.  (To Vynd and others: I
eliminated Bonus Votes for Corps.)

	I am aware that this de-modularizes the org system.  I feel that
this allows us to create structures which are more flexible.  For example,
Churches had almost nothing in common with other orgs, but were grouped in
with them anyway.  Orgs which didn't own a trade license and were'nt
political parties could do almost nothing, and are handled informally under
this system.  Orgs with trade licenses are spun off into a structure I
consider more interesting, and which I feel is more flexible without
containing any (obvious) pitfalls.  This leaves only Political Parties, and
there is no reason to create a multi-tiered structure when a single-tiered
one will do.  I hope that you will agree with me and support this proposal.
]}}

	{{Replace all instances of the word "rule-sanctioned organizations"
in the rules with "organization" except in rule 1003}}
	Create a Rule entitled Organizations reading:
"
Organizations are unownable, named entities.

No player may become a member of an Organization without first expressing
their consent to joining it. A player may leave an Organization of which he
or she is a member at any time.

When an Organization is called on to vote, it has 7 days to conduct and
publically report the results of the vote, and how each member voted,
unless the rules call for a different amount of time. If everyone who is
eligible to cast a vote in a given has done so, the results may be
announced before the voting period ends. For the purposes of this rule, the
composition of an Organization is taken to be its composition at the end of
any voting or decision period. Acting members are considered to be members
in place of the members they are acting for. "

Create a rule entitled Corporations, delimited by BIG
BIG
a) Corporations are named, unownable entities.  Corporations may own only
tradeable and gift items.

b) Any Player may form a new Corporation by announcing its name publicly
and paying the standard Harfer Fee. (Its name must be a legal name.) When
this happens the player recieves 100 shares in the new Corporation, and the
Corporation will have a null charter.

c) Corporations may only perform actions as specified in the rules.  There
are two types of Corporate actions, privilaged and normal.  A Corporation,
as an action may offer, accept, or refuse the transfer of any entity.  As
an action it may give gift items to any entity capable of recieving them.
As an action it may use any Corporate Equipment it owns.  As an action it
may express approval for a suggestion or make suggestion to any Corporation
it owns at least one share in.  As an action it may declare bankruptcy or
change its charter.  All of these are normal actions except for offering or
giving entities, changing its charter, and declaring bankruptcy, which are
all privileged.

d) Any time a Corporation gives or recieves a gift item with a value in A$
specified in the rules, it pays a tax to the treasury of 1% in A$ of the
value of the transfer, rounded up.  As long as a Corporation has a negative
amount of money, it may not perform any action which would require it to
pay a tax except for recieving A$.  Corporations pay a fee of A$1/per share
for each share the give or recieve in a Corporation other than themself.
Each Corporation is taxed at the end of each cycle as if were a player.

e) In order for a Corporation to perform an action, it must be suggested by
a player as a public action.  Players support the action by publicly
announcing their support, and specifying exactly what suggestion they're
supporting.  A normal action occurs when players and Corporations owning
more than half of the shares not owned by the Treasury or by itself support
the action, a privilaged action when 80% support it.  A player may proxy
their support to a Corporation, in which case when a suggestion is made
they will automatically support it without needing to post a message.

f) When a Corporation declares bankruptcy or is otherwise destroyed, its
properties are distributed as specified in the charter.  Properties given
away in accordance to the charter are not taxed.  Any properties not
accounted for in the charter are given to the Treasury.  If the corporation
has a null charter when it is destoryed, than all its properties are given
to the treasury.

g) Every Corporation has a charter.  The charter describes how an
Corporation's properties are to be distributed in the event that the
Corporation ceases to be for any reason.  It can do nothing else.
BIG

Create a rule entitled Shares, delimited by BUSINESS
BUSINESS
Shares are nameless, tradeable entities which may only be created as
specified in the rules.  Shares must be associated with exactly one
Corporation.  A Corporation may never own more than 20% of the shares in a
corporation other than itself.  {{[Yes, it's still possible to set up a
network of Corporations such that none of them can do anything, but not by
accident.  If you do it, you get what you deserve.]}}
BUSINESS

Create a rule entitled Corporate Equipment, delimited by AWORD
AWORD
Corporate Equipment are nameless, tradeable entities.  They may only be
created as specified in the rules. [However a specific piece of equipment
may specify that it cannot be traded.]
Where the rules say that an Organization may buy a Equipment of a certain type,
what is meant is that the Organization may, as an action, contribute an
amount of currency to the Treasury in exchange for a new Equipment of the type
specified, which is then created in that Organization's possession.
AWORD

Create a rule entitle Political Parties reading as folows:
"Political Parties are unownable, named entities.  Any Player may form a
new Political Party by announcing its name publicly and paying six times
the standard Harfer Fee. (Its name must be a legal name.) When this
happens, that Player becomes its only member.

A political party may not own anything.  [You can always create a
corrosponding Corporation to own things if need be.] No player may be a
member of more than one political party, and any action they attempt which
would cause this to be the case automatically fails.

A political party is disbanded if it ever has no members.  A player
requests membership in a political party as a public action.  The Political
Party may admit that player as a public action.  A political party can
eject any player as a public action, which the player being ejected may not
denounce.  A player may leave a Political Party at any time as a public
action.  They may not be prevented from leaving a Party, nor may they be
caused to join a Political Party unless they request entrance.

An Political Party can attempt actions.  First, some member of the
Political Party sends a public message suggesting an action for the
Political Party to take. The suggestion must include the name of the
Political Party for which it is being suggested. The other members of the
Political Party may then approve of the suggestion or denounce it. If any
member denounces the suggestion, it is voided.

If, after a suggestion is made, all non-vacationing, non-gaoled members of
the Political Party approve it within seven days,and no member denounces
it, then the Political Party attempts the action as suggested. The time of
this attempt is the time of the last approval.

If seven days pass after a suggestion is made, then the Political Party
shall make the attempt, as suggested, if and only if no member of that
Political Party denounced the suggestion, and at least two thirds of the
Political Party members approved it within the seven-day period.

A member of an Political Party may proxy their approval to that Political
Party. A player whose approval is proxied to an Political Party may
renounce their proxy to that Political Party. Whenever an action is
suggested by a member of that Political Party, all members of that
Political Party whose approval is proxied automatically approve of the
action at the time it is suggested.

At the end of a proposal's voting period, but before votes on that proposal
are counted, if every active non-vacationing player member of a given
Political Party voted the same way on that proposal, and no member of the
Party is also a member of some other Party, then the Political Party itself
shall cast an additional vote of that type on that proposal for every three
active non-vacationing player members it has.

Party membership and how players voted are determined based on the facts in
force at the end of the voting period for each proposal."

Replace section 1 of rule 1301 with this: "Churches are unownable, named
entities.  Churches may own gift entities and land, but nothing else."

Remove sections 8, 9 and 10 of rule 1301.

Add the folowing to the end of rule 1301: "

8a. If a Church ever has no Priests (counting the Founder as a priest), or
(Heaven Forbid!) fewer than zero Priests, or fewer than four members, then
it becomes a Cult.

8b. A Cult is a type of Church.

8c. A Cult, unlike other Churches, may not give or recieve any entities,
although it continues to own those it did before it was a Cult.

8d. Any Priest who leaves a Church or Cult cease to a Priest of that Church
or Cult. A Priest who is no longer a Priest of any Church ceases to be a
Priest.

8e. A player who joins a Cult and was previously a Priest or a Founder of
the Church that was transformed into that Cult, becomes a Priest of that
Cult.

8f. If a Cult has at least four members, at least one of which is a Priest
of that Cult, it ceases to be a Cult."

Create a new rule entitled "Organization Harfer" reading as follows:
"
The Office Organization Harfer is a Functional Office.

The Duties of the Organization Harfer are:

a) To maintain an accurate record of what Churches, and Political Parties
exist, and who their members are, if applicable.

b) To maintain an accurate record of charters, dogma, and suggested actions
for which a final decision has not been reached.

The Privileges of the Organization Harfer are:

a) To receive the usual salary for a Functional Officer.
"

{{For each organization currently in existance, perform the following steps:
	If it owns a big tent, create a new political party with the same
name but with " Party" appended, make all players who were members of the
old organization members of the new one.
	If it owns a big tent but not a trade license, transfer everything
owned by it to the party swinger.  [Who is expected to distribute among the
members fairly.]  Then destroy the big tent and the organization.
	Destroy any big tents in owns.
	If it owns a trade license, create a Corporation with the same name
except with " Inc." appended.  Transfer everything owned by the
organization to the Corporation.  The Corporation will recieve 100-x shares
in itself, where x is the largest number smaller than 100 which is evenly
divisible by the number of members of the organization.  Each member of the
organization will recieve x divided by the number of members shares in the
corporation.  Destroy the trade license and the organization.
	Otherwise transfer everything the organization owns to the member
who has been a member the longest, and destroy the organization.}}

{{Give any entity which owns a Secret Lab A$1000.  Destroy all Secret Labs.
Destroy all trade licenses}}

{{Repeal rules 1003, 1005, 1006, 1008,1009, 1011, 1013, and 1015.}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:40:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: proposal 2678

Proposal 2678
Let's not make this too easy
The Gingham Wearer (Tom Walmsley)

This is a modest proposal.

Modify rule 1230.2 to replace the text of section 9 C (ii) with the
following:

"(ii) Swingers may post plays at any time during a Free For All, except
that for any given Swinger at least three days must pass between plays,
except for Swingers whose Weight is non-zero, have less than 5 on-board
pieces and are not in a position whereby they can capture another player's
king, who need wait only two days between plays."

{{[This stops anyone else from doing what I am currently doing. Namely
using the fact that I have to wait only two days before making another
play, allowing me to capture Slakko's king without any difficulty. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 16:42:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2679

Proposal 2679
The Golden Frog
else...if (Henry Towsner)

Create a rule named "The Golden Frog", reading as follows:
"
There is an named, ownable entity known as the Golden Frog.  It is a small,
golden statue in the shape of a lawnmower.  It is the most valued posession
in all Acka.  Whoever owns it is known as The First Citizen.  On the
eleventh of each month, the Officer in Charge of Random Things will select
an active player at random to recieve the Golden Frog, and it will be
transferred to that player.

Any players who vote against a proposal made by the First Citizen will
recieve no points for anti-voting.  Any player who publicly insults the
First Citizen will be guilty of the Crime of Disrespect.
"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:25:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2632 accepted

Results of Proposal 2632

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
16/19 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
rufus                (SPAM)
else...if            (Klingon)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
K 2
Slakko               (SPAM)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
Hoover 2300                             [Hoover 2300 is no longer pending.]
SPAM Unity Vote
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
breadbox
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2632 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:01 EST
> Polite, yeah right
> rufus (David Scheidt)
> 
> This is a modest proposal.
> 
> Replace the last sentance in Rule 374 with the "-delimited text. "If it
> shows that it was polite, its author gets the nickname Jazz JackRabbit for
> the next 3 days, and the player who called the hearing loses 2 points." {{[
> It seems to me that there should be a penality for calling a hearing that
> was wrong. As it stands now, you can call as many hearings as you want, and
> kill Count Tabula. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:30:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2633 accepted

Results of Proposal 2633

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
15/19 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
rufus                (SPAM)
else...if            (Klingon)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
K 2
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Slakko               (SPAM)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
Hoover 2300
SPAM Unity Vote
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
breadbox
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2633 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:01 EST
> Curse of the Bee Ack
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> I was young and foolish then, I feel old and foolish now.
> 
> {{[For those of you who don't know of the B-Ack, I suggest you point your
> browsers at the Literature List. There it lurks, even now!]}}
> 
> Create a New Rule, numbered 961, and entitled "Curse of The B-Ack", and
> with text as delimited by GOBACK below:
> 
> GOBACK
> The B-Ack is a fearsome creature known to inhabit the Wilds of Ackanomia.
> It cannot be located by any glance at the map, because of its ability to
> camouflage itself into more acceptable surroundings. It has been sighted,
> at times, latching on to the bottom of important rule web pages, and
> cursing travellers to those pages with its fearsome cry of "BEE - ACK!" The
> B-Ack is an unownable entity.
> 
> Ackans who visit the Wilds of Ackanomia must be careful to avoid the Curse
> of the B-Ack. It is therefore best that they keep quiet when in the Wilds.
> Therefore, each day that a player is in the Wilds of Ackanomia and posts a
> public message, there is a 40% chance that the B-Ack will hear the player
> and chase them on the following day. The player will be treated as if e had
> Gone Postal. This is because (i) further public messages ruin a player's
> attempts to elude the B-Ack, and thus lead to further hiding, and (ii) the
> only weakness of the B-Ack is good poetry.
> 
> The one exception to the above paragraph is when the B-Ack hears a player
> on a day that the player is launching a spaceship. In this case, there is a
> 50% chance (as determined by the Officer in Charge of Random Things) that
> the B-Ack will be transported to the destination of the spaceship. As there
> is only one B-Ack in the whole of Ackanomia, this rule will then repeal
> itself. If the B-Ack is not transported to the spaceship's destination,
> then the player instead steams the B-Ack with the spaceship exhaust, having
> no effect other than to make the B-Ack angry.
> 
> Players who encounter the B-Ack are encouraged to publicly give a
> description of its physical characteristics (note that these should be
> vague). This description should only be given once the player is no longer
> in the Wilds of Ackanomia, and only one description may be sent by a player
> for each time they are chased by the B-Ack. Posting such a description
> earns a player 6 points.
> 
> Scientists are permitted to sneer at any such description, claiming such a
> creature is "physically impossible", and gain 2 points for doing so,
> provided they sneer within 3 days of the public posting of the description.
> GOBACK

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:38:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2634 accepted

Results of Proposal 2634

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
9/15 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
else...if            (Klingon)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
K 2
Slakko               (SPAM)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Hoover 2300

    NO:
rufus                (SPAM)
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)

    PRESENT:
breadbox
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2634 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:03 EST
> Fair Is Fair
> Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)
> 
> This is a modest proposal.
> 
> Amend R710, section 8b, to add at the end of that section:
> 
> "The player is also paid A$10 times the amount of the SENTENCE, up to a
> maximum of A$200."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:43:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2635 rejected

Results of Proposal 2635

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
7/16 YES votes: Proposal rejected

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
K 2
Slakko               (SPAM)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Hoover 2300

    NO:
else...if            (Klingon)
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
breadbox
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
rufus                (SPAM)

    PRESENT:
Fortunato            (SPAM)

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2635 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:03 EST
> Le Grand Dalmuti
> Calvin N Hobbes (Thierry Joffrain)
> 
> Create a new rule, number 1101, to read as below.
> 
> "A player who has a score greater than 0 and greater than all the other
> players will also be known as 'Le Grand Dalmuti'.
> 
> If a player who is not Le Grand Dalmuti gains points such that it makes
> their score equal to that of Le Grand Dalmuti, then Le Grand Dalmuti's
> score shall be increased by 4 points.
> 
> If a player's score overtakes Le Grand Dalmuti's score, thereby becoming Le
> Grand Dalmuti themselves, the player(s) with the lowest score will get a
> bonus number of points equivalent to one half the score of the new Le Grand
> Dalmuti's."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:46:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2636 accepted

Results of Proposal 2636

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
14/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
else...if            (Klingon)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
breadbox
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
Hoover 2300
rufus                (SPAM)
Klingon Unity Vote

    NO:
K 2
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Slakko               (SPAM)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2636 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:04 EST
> Servant of Two Masters
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Amend Rule 1301, "Church", as follows:
> 
> Append the following text(delimited by FROMAGE)as section 11.:
> 
> FROMAGE
> 11. Priesthood is relative to a particular Church; in other words, a player
> may not be simply a Priest, but must be a Priest of a particular Church.
> (It is possible for a player who is a member of two Churches to be a Priest
> in one Church but not in another.) A Player may only be a Priest of a
> Church if e has been Ordained a Priest of that Church since the last time e
> joined that Church.
> FROMAGE

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:49:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2637 accepted

Results of Proposal 2637

17/23 votes: Quorum achieved
12/18 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Alfvaen              (MetaMorph)
rufus                (SPAM)
else...if            (Klingon)
Fortunato            (SPAM)
Slakko               (SPAM)
The Gingham Wearer   (Klingon)
Slagothor            (Boomerangs)
Goldenmean           (Boomerangs)
Calvin N Hobbes      (Harf)
Balsamic Dragon      (SPAM)
Hoover 2300
SPAM Unity Vote

    NO:
breadbox
Malenkai             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
K 2
Vynd                 (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
/dev/joe             (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Rex Mundi            (Klingon)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
Niccolo Flychuck     (MetaMorph)
Bill the pirate king (Boomerangs)
ThinMan              (Rule 1 is repealed. #1)
Red Barn
two-star             (MetaMorph)
Crackfoo             (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
Michael Wren

    PENDING:
Device

> Proposal 2637 - Sat 24 Jan 1998 22:05 EST
> Machinery to Eliminate the Hegemony of Rule 1
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> Amend Rule 101 by replacing
> "The rules and the game state"
> with
> "The rules, the rule numbers, and the game state, which are three distinct
> unownable entities,".
> 
> Amend Rule 303 by replacing
> 
> "is not considered part of the text of the rule itself."
> with
> "is not considered part of the rule itself."
> 
> {{[These changes should make it legal to renumber Rule 2000 to Rule 0 and
> overrule rule 1.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:51:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2680

Proposal 2680
The New Org Order
else...if (Henry Towsner)

{{[Changes from previous proposal: added rule numbers, cut the
payment for Secret Lab owners to A$500, fixed a few anachronisms in the
rules.

	This is my proposal for a system to replace orgs.  This comment is
both an explanation of the system, and a response to major criticisms.
This eliminates old style Organizations.  They are replaced with three
structures: Churches, which are almost identical to old Churches,
Corporations, which are like an org with a trade license, and Political
Parties.  A Political Party is virtually identical to an old Political
Party.  It can't own things, but otherwise the differences are just moving
things around, and no more Powers.  A Church is the same, except that I
adjusted the way Cults are phrased.  No practical differences.
Corporations are basically like an org, being able to own things and trade
them, but they have proportional membership.  Instead of either being a
member or not being, a player owns shares.  It requires 50% of the shares
to support certain actions, 80% for others (mostly things which give away
properties, to prevent ownign 50% from being enough to rob the corp.)
Also, they pay a small tax on many transactions.  (To Vynd and others: I
eliminated Bonus Votes for Corps.)

	I am aware that this de-modularizes the org system.  I feel that
this allows us to create structures which are more flexible.  For example,
Churches had almost nothing in common with other orgs, but were grouped in
with them anyway.  Orgs which didn't own a trade license and were'nt
political parties could do almost nothing, and are handled informally under
this system.  Orgs with trade licenses are spun off into a structure I
consider more interesting, and which I feel is more flexible without
containing any (obvious) pitfalls.  This leaves only Political Parties, and
there is no reason to create a multi-tiered structure when a single-tiered
one will do.  I hope that you will agree with me and support this proposal.
]}}

	{{Replace all instances of the word "rule-sanctioned organizations"
in the rules with "organization" except in rule 1003}}
	Create a Rule numbered 1004 and entitled Organizations reading:
"
Organizations are unownable, named entities.

No player may become a member of an Organization without first expressing
their consent to joining it. A player may leave an Organization of which he
or she is a member at any time.

When an Organization is called on to vote, it has 7 days to conduct and
publically report the results of the vote, and how each member voted,
unless the rules call for a different amount of time. If everyone who is
eligible to cast a vote in a given has done so, the results may be
announced before the voting period ends. For the purposes of this rule, the
composition of an Organization is taken to be its composition at the end of
any voting or decision period. Acting members are considered to be members
in place of the members they are acting for. "

Create a rule  numbered 1004 and entitled Corporations, delimited by BIG
BIG
a) Corporations are named, unownable entities.  Corporations may own only
tradeable and gift items.

b) Any Player may form a new Corporation by announcing its name publicly
and paying the standard Harfer Fee. (Its name must be a legal name.) When
this happens the player recieves 100 shares in the new Corporation, and the
Corporation will have a null charter.

c) Corporations may only perform actions as specified in the rules.  There
are two types of Corporate actions, privilaged and normal.  A Corporation,
as an action may offer, accept, or refuse the transfer of any entity.  As
an action it may give gift items to any entity capable of recieving them.
As an action it may use any Corporate Equipment it owns.  As an action it
may express approval for a suggestion or make suggestion to any Corporation
it owns at least one share in.  As an action it may change its name to
another legal name if it owns at least the standard harfer fee.  As an
action it may declare bankruptcy or change its charter.  All of these are
normal actions except for offering or giving entities, changing its
charter, and declaring bankruptcy, which are all privileged.  When a
Corporation changes its name it pays the Standard Harfer Fee.

d) Any time a Corporation gives or recieves a gift item with a value in A$
specified in the rules, it pays a tax to the treasury of 1% in A$ of the
value of the transfer, rounded up.  As long as a Corporation has a negative
amount of money, it may not perform any action which would require it to
pay a tax except for recieving A$.  Corporations pay a fee of A$1/per share
for each share the give or recieve in a Corporation other than themself.
Each Corporation is taxed at the end of each cycle as if were a player.

e) In order for a Corporation to perform an action, it must be suggested by
a player as a public action.  Players support the action by publicly
announcing their support, and specifying exactly what suggestion they're
supporting.  A normal action occurs when players and Corporations owning
more than half of the shares not owned by the Treasury or by itself support
the action, a privilaged action when 80% support it.  A player may proxy
their support to a Corporation, in which case when a suggestion is made
they will automatically support it without needing to post a message.

f) When a Corporation declares bankruptcy or is otherwise destroyed, its
properties are distributed as specified in the charter.  Properties given
away in accordance to the charter are not taxed.  Any properties not
accounted for in the charter are given to the Treasury.  If the corporation
has a null charter when it is destoryed, than all its properties are given
to the treasury.

g) Every Corporation has a charter.  The charter describes how an
Corporation's properties are to be distributed in the event that the
Corporation ceases to be for any reason.  It can do nothing else.
BIG

Create a rule  numbered 1009 and entitled Shares, delimited by BUSINESS
BUSINESS
Shares are nameless, tradeable entities which may only be created as
specified in the rules.  Shares must be associated with exactly one
Corporation.  A Corporation may never own more than 20% of the shares in a
corporation other than itself.  {{[Yes, it's still possible to set up a
network of Corporations such that none of them can do anything, but not by
accident.  If you do it, you get what you deserve.]}}
BUSINESS

Create a rule  numbered 1010 and entitled Corporate Equipment, delimited by
AWORD
AWORD
Corporate Equipment are nameless, tradeable entities.  They may only be
created as specified in the rules. [However a specific piece of equipment
may specify that it cannot be traded.]
Where the rules say that an Corporation may buy a Equipment of a certain type,
what is meant is that the Corporation may, as an action, contribute an
amount of currency to the Treasury in exchange for a new Equipment of the type
specified, which is then created in that Corporation possession.
AWORD

Create a rule numbered 1021 and entitled Political Parties reading as folows:
"Political Parties are unownable, named entities.  Any Player may form a
new Political Party by announcing its name publicly and paying six times
the standard Harfer Fee. (Its name must be a legal name.) When this
happens, that Player becomes its only member.

A political party may not own anything.  [You can always create a
corrosponding Corporation to own things if need be.] No player may be a
member of more than one political party, and any action they attempt which
would cause this to be the case automatically fails.

A political party is disbanded if it ever has no members.  A player
requests membership in a political party as a public action.  The Political
Party may admit that player as a public action.  A political party can
eject any player as a public action, which the player being ejected may not
denounce.  A player may leave a Political Party at any time as a public
action.  They may not be prevented from leaving a Party, nor may they be
caused to join a Political Party unless they request entrance.

An Political Party can attempt actions.  First, some member of the
Political Party sends a public message suggesting an action for the
Political Party to take. The suggestion must include the name of the
Political Party for which it is being suggested. The other members of the
Political Party may then approve of the suggestion or denounce it. If any
member denounces the suggestion, it is voided.

If, after a suggestion is made, all non-vacationing, non-gaoled members of
the Political Party approve it within seven days,and no member denounces
it, then the Political Party attempts the action as suggested. The time of
this attempt is the time of the last approval.

If seven days pass after a suggestion is made, then the Political Party
shall make the attempt, as suggested, if and only if no member of that
Political Party denounced the suggestion, and at least two thirds of the
Political Party members approved it within the seven-day period.

A member of an Political Party may proxy their approval to that Political
Party. A player whose approval is proxied to an Political Party may
renounce their proxy to that Political Party. Whenever an action is
suggested by a member of that Political Party, all members of that
Political Party whose approval is proxied automatically approve of the
action at the time it is suggested.

At the end of a proposal's voting period, but before votes on that proposal
are counted, if every active non-vacationing player member of a given
Political Party voted the same way on that proposal, and no member of the
Party is also a member of some other Party, then the Political Party itself
shall cast an additional vote of that type on that proposal for every three
active non-vacationing player members it has.

A Political Party may change its name as an action by specifying a new
legal name and paying the standard harfer fee.  It may not perform this
action if it does not own at least the standard harfer fee.

Party membership and how players voted are determined based on the facts in
force at the end of the voting period for each proposal."

Replace section 1 of rule 1301 with this: "Churches are unownable, named
entities.  Churches may own gift entities and land, but nothing else."

Remove sections 8, 9 and 10 of rule 1301.

Add the folowing to the end of rule 1301: "

8a. If a Church ever has no Priests (counting the Founder as a priest), or
(Heaven Forbid!) fewer than zero Priests, or fewer than four members, then
it becomes a Cult.

8b. A Cult is a type of Church.

8c. A Cult, unlike other Churches, may not give or recieve any entities,
although it continues to own those it did before it was a Cult.

8d. Any Priest who leaves a Church or Cult cease to a Priest of that Church
or Cult. A Priest who is no longer a Priest of any Church ceases to be a
Priest.

8e. A player who joins a Cult and was previously a Priest or a Founder of
the Church that was transformed into that Cult, becomes a Priest of that
Cult.

8f. If a Cult has at least four members, at least one of which is a Priest
of that Cult, it ceases to be a Cult.

9. A Church may change its name as an action by specifying a new legal name
and paying the standard harfer fee.  It may not perform this action if it
does not own at least the standard harfer fee."

Create a new rule  numbered 433 and entitled "Organization Harfer" reading
as follows:
"
The Office Organization Harfer is a Functional Office.

The Duties of the Organization Harfer are:

a) To maintain an accurate record of what Churches, and Political Parties
exist, and who their members are, if applicable.

b) To maintain an accurate record of charters, dogma, and suggested actions
for which a final decision has not been reached.

The Privileges of the Organization Harfer are:

a) To receive the usual salary for a Functional Officer.
"

{{For each organization currently in existance, perform the following steps:
	If it owns a big tent, create a new political party with the same
name but with " Party" appended, make all players who were members of the
old organization members of the new one.
	If it owns a big tent but not a trade license, transfer everything
owned by it to the party swinger.  [Who is expected to distribute among the
members fairly.]  Then destroy the big tent and the organization.
	Destroy any big tents in owns.
	If it owns a trade license, create a Corporation with the same name
except with " Inc." appended.  Transfer everything owned by the
organization to the Corporation.  The Corporation will recieve 100-x shares
in itself, where x is the largest number smaller than 100 which is evenly
divisible by the number of members of the organization.  Each member of the
organization will recieve x divided by the number of members shares in the
corporation.  Destroy the trade license and the organization.
	Otherwise transfer everything the organization owns to the member
who has been a member the longest, and destroy the organization.}}

{{Give any entity which owns a Secret Lab A$500.  Destroy all Secret Labs.
Destroy all trade licenses}}

{{Repeal rules 1003, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1009, 1011, 1013, and 1015.}}
{{[The rest just replaces occurances of the word organization throughout
the rules with a more appropriate term.]}}

Amend the last paragraph of 373 to read as follows: "If the rules specify
that a certain course of play is available to a player or other entity, but
do not specify how that course of play is to be taken, then that course of
play is a public action, and it is taken as described above."

Amend section VI of rule 505 to read as follows: "The Total Wealth of a
Player, Undead, Church, or Corporation is defined as the sum of the total
number of A$ it possesses plus the combined values of all trinkets and
Majiks in its possession. "

Amend the first paragraph of rule 510 to read as follows: "No Player,
Undead, Church, or Corporation may use more A$'s to buy, trade, give or in
any way move out of his account, than there are in his/her account at that
moment in time. In other words, a player may never voluntarily go into
debt, but it is possible that a player may go into debt involuntarily."

Amend the second to last paragraph of rule 515 to read as follows: "A
Player, Church, or Corporation who owns a gift entity may transfer that
entity to another Player, Church, or Corporation as a public action"

Replace the word organization in the rules 517 and 666 with Corporation.

Replace the word organization in rule 710 with "Church or Political Party"

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #269
*********************************