Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #257
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Monday, January 19 1998      Volume 02 : Number 257

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:38:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2617

Proposal 2617
OCEANS AND BEACHES
Bill the pirate king (Aaron Shapiro)

{{If adopted this proposal becomes rule 860 or the next higher=20
available number in the 800's so that its number is unique}}

A) BEACHES
1)Let a common location known as the beach exist.   The beach is a=20
desolate strip of sand  30 to 300 cat lengths in width.  It is always =
sunny at the beach unless weather conditions are=20
specified by other rules.  Any player may go to the beach as a public =
action. Any player at the beach is said to be having=20
fun.  [im pretty sure having fun is harfy]
B) OCEANS
1) Let a common location known as the ocean exist.  A player may not go =
to the ocean unless e is at the beach, or=20
as otherwise specified in the rules.  Any player entering the ocean is =
said to be swimming.  Any player possessing=20
the wings mutation is unable to swim. A player at the ocean may not take =
part in any public action, [vote, bid on an auction=20
etc...] The ocean surrounds ackanomia on the sides that the gaol  =
touches. [as shown by the official map] It is exactly that=20
shade of blue green that oceans are, and is composed almost entirely of =
salt water.  The ocean extends from the specified=20
edges of ackanomia to the edge of the world. [There are rumors of other =
lands in the ocean but they are probably a heresy=20
of the worst kind and speaking of them would get you tarred and =
feathered.]  The ocean is prevented from running over the=20
edge of the obviously flat world by a large wall of some rust proof =
metal that closely resembles stainless steel. [ this is part of why the=20
round earth restoration league  needs such an expensive machine, the =
wall must meet up with a groove in the=20
hemispherical portion of the world to interlock and prevent future =
seperation.]

2) Any player(s) successfully rafting down the Ackanomian River as =
described in rule 836 shall go to the beach. =20
The player(s) must then rest at the beach beach for 1(one) day before =
moving to any other location.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:39:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2618

Proposal 2618
Can He Leave The Room With Us?
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend rule 413, "Clerk of the Court", to replace "The Clerk of the Court
shall be Acting Speaker when there is no Speaker" with "The Clerk of
the Court shall be Acting Speaker when there is no Speaker or Acting
Speaker".  {{[ Otherwise the CotC may have an impossible duty... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:39:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2619

Proposal 2619
Enable Otzma Chess to Work
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 1230.2 by replacing the text:
"A. Move - The Swinger moves an on-board piece e controls from the square
it is on to an unoccupied square according to the applicable rules."
with
"A. Move - The Swinger moves an on-board piece e controls from the square
it is on to either (a) an unoccupied square according to the applicable
rules, or (b) an off-board position provided such a move is legal
according to rule 1240.9"

and the text:

"C. Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless it is
impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one other
piece, and the Swinger involved has fewer than five on-board pieces and a
weight of 0. "

with

"C. Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless
either 

(a) it is impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one
other piece, and the Swinger involved has fewer than five on-board pieces
and a weight of 0;

or

(b) the placement is made in accordance with Rule 1240.10."

{{[This may not strictly be necessary, but it avoids a possible CFJ call
by making it absolutely clear that paradrops are possible.]}}

Amend Rule 1240.9 by:

1) removing the text "(but not on a special D-turn or
special DD-turn)".
2) replacing the text 'Swingers may exercise this option using the syntax
for a Move, with the phrase "off-board" replacing the destination square.'
with 'A King may not be removed from the board in this way'

{{[The original language about D and DD turns was referring to turns where
one or more Swingers were in check, and was therefore designed to prevent
Kings being airlifted to safety.  This change ensures that requirement is
met.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:40:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2620

Proposal 2620
It'll never happen again (Yeah right...)
Vynd (John McCoy)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend Rule 256 Leaving the Game by replacing the first sentence with the
following BLAH delimited text.

BLAH
Upon a player leaving or attempting to leave the game, that player is
removed from all offices.  This occurs even if that player (somehow) fails
to actually leave the game.  The following procedure then takes place, in
the order shown, but only if the player successfully left the game.
BLAH

Then delete section 2) of Rule 256.  Renumber sections 3) through 6) to 2)
through 5).

{{[Its unlikely that this will ever make any difference, but imagine how
much easier things would have been if it had read like this a few weeks
ago.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:58:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2621

Proposal 2621
The Mad Hatters
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

{{[Ever wonder how you're going to get rid of that absolutely impossible
Agenda Hat, when you have to let people know what it is before you can
trade it?  This is how.]}}

{{All Mad Hatters are destroyed.  Beep, Blip and Bonk are destroyed.}}

Create a new Rule, numbered 675, entitled "Mercury Poisoning", with the
following CHARITY-delimited text:

CHARITY
The Mad Hatters is an Organization.  The Mad Hatters at all times owns a
Trade License and a More Than Human.  Beep, Blip and Bonk are three
unownable entities.  Beep, Blip and Bonk become members of the Mad
Hatters, if they are not currently members.  Beep, Blip and Bonk always
have eir support proxied to The Mad Hatters.  Beep, Blip and Bonk may
express eir consent in the Public Forum by a message from the Illuminatus
which indicates the consent of Beep, Blip and/or Bonk.

The Mad Hatters automatically approve any trade that satisfies one or more
of the following forms, provided that the trade is possible:
1) A player trades a Visible Agenda Hat to the Mad Hatters in exchange for
A$1.
2) A player trades A$10 to the Mad Hatters in exchange for a Visible
Agenda Hat, and the player involved in the trade was not the last player
to trade this particular Agenda Hat to the Mad Hatters.

If the Mad Hatters have been in possession of a given Visible Agenda Hat
for more than 7 days, and a player points this fact out, then that Visible
Agenda Hat is destroyed.  
CHARITY

{{[This is how the pointless, obsolete or just plain stupid hats can be
stopped from cluttering up the game]}}

{{Transfer A$100 from the Treasury to The Mad Hatters}}

{{Red Barn gains 3 points.  Slakko loses 3 points}}
{{[The above change is not based on proposal ideas.  Rather, it is a
royalty payment for the use of the phrase "Beep Blip Bonk" from Red Barn's
signature.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:00:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2622

Proposal 2622
Money, Money, Money
else...if (Henry Towsner)

Create a new rule entitled, "The Appraiser" reading as delimited by
CASH:
CASH
(a) There shall be a functional office called Appraiser.

(b) The purpose of the Appraiser is to determine the value, in A$, of all
entities in the game. The Office may perform other functions if they
conform to the rules.

(c) A privilege of the Appraiser is to issue Certificates of
Valuation(CoV). A CoV consists of one entity, which must be either
appraised or unappraised, and either a positive integral value of A$ or a
statement that it has no value.

(d) The Appraiser shall distribute CoV's publicly, and assign each one a
unique number. After a CoV is distributed, any player may officially object
to it by publishing his or her objection publicly. If less than 2 voting
players object to the CoV within a 3 day review period immediately
following its distribution, then entity will be appraised as specified in
the CoV. The Appraiser shall publish a notice that the entity has been
reappraised.
CASH

Create a new rule entitled "Appraisals" reading as delimited by GREENBACKS
GREENBACKS
All entities are one of the following: unappraisable, unappraised,
appraised, or valued.  Entities which are appraised or valued have a
positive integral number of A$ associated with them.  It is a duty of the
appraiser to maintain a list of all appraised or valued entities, along
with their values, and to make this list available to all players upon
request.

Entities are only valued or unappraisable as specified in the rules.  All
Unique entities are unappraisable unless otherwise specified.  One
acka-dollar is valued, and has a value of A$1.  A trinket or Magik is
valued as the number of A$ spent to create it.  One kaa of land is
appraised at A$50.

A players net value is equal to the sum of the appraised or valued prices
of all entities they own.
GREENBACKS

Amend the first sentence of Rule 844 to read as follows: "A player may
purchase a kaa of empty, common land for it appraised value."

{{else...if is appointed the Appraiser.}}

- --
- -Henry Towsner, AKA else...if, The Fearless Alibi Posesser, Laefu, and Yilran

	<[email-masked]>

	No iron can stab the heart with such force as a period put just at
the right place.
	-Isaac Babel

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:02:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2623

Proposal 2623
Game Misconduct
Vynd (John McCoy)

Create a new Rule numbered 1205, entitled Game Misconduct, with the
following text:

If a player of Ackanomic deliberately interferes with the play of a
sub-game, even if he is not a participant in that sub-game, he has
committed the Crime of Game Misconduct.  Interference, in this case, would
be doing something that makes it impossible to play a sub-game as its
rules and game spirit intend. [Examples include: Revealing the definition
of the Ing word of a game of Fictionary.  Providing lists of possible
Ghost or Double Crash words.]  Cheerleading, jeering, and even providing
advice to a sub-game player, are permissible so long as they do not
violate the above clauses.

{{[I think this addresses a number of issues that have come up recently.
Although I doubt he realized it, whoever it was that posted a list of
words that "triva" appeared in completely wrecked that game of Ghost, this
would make such acts specifically illegal.  This should also cover the
problems that "People are dictionaries too" was going after, at least so
far as other Ackanomic players are concerned.  I realize that there are
some "weasel words" in here, but I don't think that such leeway is
appropriate in this situation.  This gives the judge a chance to decide
what constitutes deliberate interference for a particular game.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:03:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2624

Proposal 2624
Randy Newman Was Right
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend rule 207, "Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are Reported",
by deleting section V., "Short Proposal Bonus", and renumbering sections
VI through VIII as V through VII.

{{[ As Scorekeeper, I find this the hardest thing to remember to check for
with Proposals.  If people are really attached to it, then that's okay,
but IMHO except for repeals, and sometimes even then, short proposals
are more likely to be sloppy about fixing everything they should. ]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #257
*********************************