Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #217
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Wednesday, December 3 1997     Volume 02 : Number 217

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 02:12:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2440

Proposal 2440
Let All of Nomic Culture view our Exhibitions
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

Append the followng text to section VII of R1250 "Games & Contests  as
subsection b of that section: 
"A Referee of any game may declare the game to be an Internomic
Exhibition, provided e makes the declaration prior to the first move 
in that game, and at a stage when players can still join the game. When a
game has been declared as an Internomic Exhibition, any person
who is a player of a nomic which a member of Internomic may join as a
player, provided e abides by the rules of the specific game.
When a game is declared to be an Internomic Exhibition, no point,currency
or trophies are transferred to, from or between players.
"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 02:41:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2441

Proposal 2441
You Must Play to Stay
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

{{[If you want to play Party Chess, then you will submit turns from time
to time.  If you don't want to play, then what point is there being
Swinger?  It also means that everyone else has to wait 3 days for you to
not play each round - which slows down the game unnecessarily.  Note
that this rule has no effect on people on vacation, who do not make
moves, and it only renders the office vacant, so we have to wait 7 days 
for it to become warn.]}}

Append the following RIP-VAN-WINKLE to section 4 of Rule 1230.2:

RIP-VAN-WINKLE
If a Swinger is forced to make a default play as described in this rule,
and eir previous two moves while holding that Office of Swinger were also
default plays as described in this rule, then the Office of Swinger they
possess becomes vacant.
RIP-VAN-WINKLE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:42:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2407 accepted

Results of Proposal 2407

16/19 votes: Quorum achieved
16/19 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Balsamic Dragon     (SPAM)
two-star            (MetaMorph)
Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)
ThinMan             (Vulcan)
Slakko              (SPAM)
Malenkai            (Vulcan)
Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
/dev/joe            (Vulcan)
Fortunato           (SPAM)
mr cwm              (SPAM)
Vynd                (Vulcan)
Michael Wren
Rex Mundi
SPAM Unity Vote
MetaMorph Unity Vote
Vulcan Unity Vote

    NO:
breadbox
K 2
Crackfoo            (Harf)

    PRESENT:

    ABSTAINED:
The Gingham Wearer
Red Barn
Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)

    VACATIONING:
norpan
Archie Leach

> Proposal 2407 - Wed 26 Nov 1997 10:13:10
> Rustproof +6 Proposal
> Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Repeal Rule 942, "The Widget of Yendor".  {{[ I've never seen this
> thing used in the time I've been here...  Also, it reminds me of how
> I've never managed to win a game of nethack. ]}}
> 
> Amend Rule 594.16, "Blueprint: Pulse Laser", by changing "Widget of
> Yendor" to "Pyraic Frobnotzer".  {{[ Best replacement I could think of
> off the top of my head... ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:19:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2442

Proposal 2442
Prolix Propositions
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

If a player tenders a proposal which fulfils the following requirements,
then the proposal is a Prolix Proposition:

a) The proposal contains the furniture: "Warning Contains: <word>", were
<word> is a word, contained in the official
dictionary, which is not in the current rule set.
b) <word> is used in the body of the proposal such that it is not
contained in quotation marks, square brackets or double curly
brackets and will become part of an existing or new rule. [ In other
words it must be/become part of a functional sentence within a rule ]

Whenever a Prolix Proposition is accepted, the player who submitted it
shall be endowed with a liberality of one point for
enriching Acka, and is permitted to expound : "There's no word in
English for my style" [They Might Be Giants, Extra Savoir Faire]

{{  [For example the following could be used as <word> ( as the rule set
stands currently )] :
                    tenders
                    prolix
                    proposition
                    warning
                    endowed
                    liberality
                    enriching
                    expound                   }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:25:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2443

Proposal 2443
Who Watches the Watchers (I Never Studied Latin)
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[Agora keeps track of the Observers of the game, and this is one of
their traditions that I think Acka would do well to follow.  Of course I
don't agree with everything Agora seems to stand for - otherwise I'd play
Agora instead!]}}

Amend Rule 409, "Registrar", by replacing section (a) with the following
CUSTODIAN-delimited text:

CUSTODIAN
(a) maintaining a list of all
   (i) registered players and their Ackanomic names;
  (ii) observers.
(i) and (ii) may be combined into one list, provided that the two
categories are distinguished within the list.
CUSTODIAN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:29:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2444

Proposal 2444
Simplification of Winning Conditions into Subers Again
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Grandiose Proposal.

{{[The aim of this proposal - to unify all the different winning methods
without completely going round the twist, and thereby to make changes to
the methods of achieving a win much simpler - just come up with different
ways to get Subers, and make existing ways worth less Subers or none
altogether!  I've left the current wins as full wins, but if people want
to fiddle with that later, this rule makes it easy.]}}

{{[Note - this rule ignores the possibility of secret agendas, but we can
bring them back into Subers if they both succeed, e.g. 7 Subers each time
you get one of your condition hats set to true.]}}

{{[Thanks to lots and lots of suggestions, this tries hard to have no
immediate effect on winning conditions.]}}

{{All ownable entities containing the word "Suber" or
"Subers" in their name are destroyed.}}

{{[The above is necessary to eliminate Malenkai's loophole.]}}

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 650, entitled "Win Condition", with text
as delimited by WOOHOO below:

WOOHOO
A cycle winning condition is achieved when a single player has 20 or more
Subers in eir possession, and no other player has more Subers, and
the single player possessing the most Subers does not possess the
Chartreuse Goose.
WOOHOO

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 651, entitled "Subers", with text as
delimited by PETER below:

PETER
Subers are non-tradable entities.  Any references elsewhere in the Rules
to players receiving or losing Subers are to be interpreted as the
creation or destruction of Subers in that player's possession.  No
non-player entity may possess Subers (the singular of Subers is Suber).
All Suber creation or destruction which results from a single
event shall occur simultaneously.
PETER

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 651.1, entitled "Gaining Subers", with
text as delimited by FREAKAZOID below:

FREAKAZOID
Players may only receive Subers as described in this Rule, but when they
do receive them according to this rule, "received" is to be interpreted as
in Rule 651.  The following are the only ways to receive Subers:

a) Whenever there is a unique player who has more than the Magic Number of
points in eir possession, e shall receive 20 Subers.

b) A player whose score divides (MN-1) without remainder, where MN is the
Magic Number, may Take The Box.  When a player Takes The Box, e receives
30/N^2 Subers, rounded down, where N = (MN-1)/P, MN is the Magic Number,
and P is the player's score when e Took The Box.  The player's score is
set to 0 simultaneously with the creation of the Subers.
[e.g. Magic Number 257.  A player on 128 may Take the Box, as 256/128 = 2.
Doing so would earn em 7 subers (= 30/2^2 rounded down)]

c) Whenever a verdict of TRUE is reached on a Paradox Win CFJ, the player
who submitted it shall receive 20 Subers, provided e is a voting player at
the time the verdict ceases to be appealable.

d) The instant after a player receives the title of "Sage o' Doe Gas", e
shall receive 20 Subers, provided e received the title as a result
of a non-Modest Proposal being accepted.

e) When the End of the World occurs as specified in Rule 1320, the active
non-vacationing player who has donated most A$ to the Round Earth
Restoration Society when the Earth was made Round shall receive 20 Subers,
if a unique qualifying person exists.  If no unique qualifying person
exists, then the same amount of Subers will be received by each player
who, if the other players did not exist, would qualify as a unique
qualifying person.  This number will be the minimum number required for at
least one player to reach exactly 20 Subers.  If no players qualify, then
all players in the game who are not On Ice shall receive 10 Subers for 
witnessing the End of the World.

f) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$5000, 
and has never exceeded A$5000 before, then e shall receive 20 Subers.

FREAKAZOID

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section h with the following FIXONE delimited
text:

FIXONE
h) Each player's score is set to zero.  All players lose all eir Subers.
FIXONE

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section k with the following FIX delimited
text:

FIX
k)  A cycle is won by points if the change to the Suber total of the
winner which created the winning condition was as described 
in Rule 651.1 part (a).  If the cycle was won by points, then amend Rule
655 to change the base value of the Magic Number to the smallest prime
number greater than (the current Magic Number*1.2). If the last two cycles
were not won by points, then amend Rule 655 to change the base value of
the Magic Number to the smallest prime number greater than (the current
Magic Number*0.9). Reset the Magic Number to the base Magic Number. 
FIX

[From here on the changes are deletions due to the consolidation of
winning conditions into the Suber acquisition rule.]

Delete the last sentence of Rule 601.
Renumber Rule 601 to Rule 654.

Delete the sentence of Rule 603 starting with "If exactly one voting
player" and finishing with "Winning Condition".  
Delete the sentence of Rule 603 which reads "None of the players shall win
the cycle at this time."

Renumber Rule 603 to Rule 655.

Delete from Rule 605 the following <>-delimited text:

<>
(1) win the current Cycle of the Game, if the Proposal which created the
rule was non-Modest. This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after
the score changes as a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. 
<>

Renumber Rule 605 to Rule 656.

Delete the second and third sentences of Rule 620.
[The Chartreuse Goose condition by now has been subsumed into the rest of
the Winning Condition set.]
Delete the sentence of rule 620 which reads:
"If this judgement is not overruled, then the player who called for
judgement is declared the winner of the cycle; the win occurring at the
time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ under the current rules. "
[Again, already covered by the acquisition of Suber rules.]

Renumber Rule 620 to Rule 657.

Delete the last two sentences of Section VII of Rule 850.
[The Museum winning condition has been converted into Subers.]

Replace the following ARMAGEDDON-delimited text from Rule 1320 with the
SIMPLE-delimited text following:
ARMAGEDDON
The End of the World causes the cycle to immediately end. The winner of
the cycle will be the active or vacationing player who had donated the
most A$ to The Round Earth Restoration Society at the time that the Earth
was made round. If this selection method results in a tie, or the player
who would win is for some reason ineligible to win the cycle, then the
player who most recently became Enlightened out of those players who are
tied will be the winner of the cycle. If none of the players who are tied
for most A$ donated to The Round Earth Society are Enlightened, then the
Speaker will randomly select with equal probability one of the players who
are tied to be the winner. In any of these cases, the winner will receive
the title of Prophet of Doom.
ARMAGEDDON

SIMPLE
If the End of the World causes the cycle to end, then the winner will
receive the title of Prophet of Doom.
SIMPLE

#end proposal

#submit proposal Changes to Subers

Append the following LOBE delimited text to Rule 651.1:

LOBE
g) When a player is declared the winner of a game described in the Games
and Contests Rule Suite, and the game was not a Duel, and involved 6 or
more players, then e shall receive 1 Suber.  However, no player may earn
more than 3 Subers in any one calendar month by this method.

h) When a player is declared the winner of a game of Grab-a-Donkey, e
shall receive 1 Suber.

i) When a player acquires the title of Winner of a Game of PartyChess, e
shall also receive 2 Subers.  If e is a Party Swinger, then all other
members of that Political Party shall receive 1 Suber.  If e is an NAP
Swinger, all other players who are not members of any Political Party
shall receive 1 Suber. However, in the event that any player acquired that
title earlier in the same calendar month, no Subers shall be received.
LOBE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:46:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2444

Your Promoter humbly apologizes for doing this to you again:

There is no Proposal 2444. Your Promoter sent out something that may
have looked like a Proposal and which had the number 2444 attached to
it, but it was merely an error on his part.

breadbox
going to have his brain reattached before doing anything else

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:58:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2445

Proposal 2445
Simplification of Winning Conditions into Subers Again
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Grandiose Proposal.

{{[The aim of this proposal - to unify all the different winning methods
without completely going round the twist, and thereby to make changes to
the methods of achieving a win much simpler - just come up with different
ways to get Subers, and make existing ways worth less Subers or none
altogether!  I've left the current wins as full wins, but if people want
to fiddle with that later, this rule makes it easy.]}}

{{[Note - this rule ignores the possibility of secret agendas, but we can
bring them back into Subers if they both succeed, e.g. 7 Subers each time
you get one of your condition hats set to true.]}}

{{[Thanks to lots and lots of suggestions, this tries hard to have no
immediate effect on winning conditions.]}}

{{All ownable entities containing the word "Suber" or
"Subers" in their name are destroyed.}}

{{[The above is necessary to eliminate Malenkai's loophole.]}}

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 650, entitled "Win Condition", with text
as delimited by WOOHOO below:

WOOHOO
A cycle winning condition is achieved when a single player has 20 or more
Subers in eir possession, and no other player has more Subers, and
the single player possessing the most Subers does not possess the
Chartreuse Goose.
WOOHOO

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 651, entitled "Subers", with text as
delimited by PETER below:

PETER
Subers are non-tradable entities.  Any references elsewhere in the Rules
to players receiving or losing Subers are to be interpreted as the
creation or destruction of Subers in that player's possession.  No
non-player entity may possess Subers (the singular of Subers is Suber).
All Suber creation or destruction which results from a single
event shall occur simultaneously.
PETER

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 651.1, entitled "Gaining Subers", with
text as delimited by FREAKAZOID below:

FREAKAZOID
Players may only receive Subers as described in this Rule, but when they
do receive them according to this rule, "received" is to be interpreted as
in Rule 651.  The following are the only ways to receive Subers:

a) Whenever there is a unique player who has more than the Magic Number of
points in eir possession, e shall receive 20 Subers.

b) A player whose score divides (MN-1) without remainder, where MN is the
Magic Number, may Take The Box.  When a player Takes The Box, e receives
30/N^2 Subers, rounded down, where N = (MN-1)/P, MN is the Magic Number,
and P is the player's score when e Took The Box.  The player's score is
set to 0 simultaneously with the creation of the Subers.
[e.g. Magic Number 257.  A player on 128 may Take the Box, as 256/128 = 2.
Doing so would earn em 7 subers (= 30/2^2 rounded down)]

c) Whenever a verdict of TRUE is reached on a Paradox Win CFJ, the player
who submitted it shall receive 20 Subers, provided e is a voting player at
the time the verdict ceases to be appealable.

d) The instant after a player receives the title of "Sage o' Doe Gas", e
shall receive 20 Subers, provided e received the title as a result
of a non-Modest Proposal being accepted.

e) When the End of the World occurs as specified in Rule 1320, the active
non-vacationing player who has donated most A$ to the Round Earth
Restoration Society when the Earth was made Round shall receive 20 Subers,
if a unique qualifying person exists.  If no unique qualifying person
exists, then the same amount of Subers will be received by each player
who, if the other players did not exist, would qualify as a unique
qualifying person.  This number will be the minimum number required for at
least one player to reach exactly 20 Subers.  If no players qualify, then
all players in the game who are not On Ice shall receive 10 Subers for 
witnessing the End of the World.

f) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$5000, 
and has never exceeded A$5000 before, then e shall receive 20 Subers.

FREAKAZOID

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section h with the following FIXONE delimited
text:

FIXONE
h) Each player's score is set to zero.  All players lose all eir Subers.
FIXONE

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section k with the following FIX delimited
text:

FIX
k)  A cycle is won by points if the change to the Suber total of the
winner which created the winning condition was as described 
in Rule 651.1 part (a).  If the cycle was won by points, then amend Rule
655 to change the base value of the Magic Number to the smallest prime
number greater than (the current Magic Number*1.2). If the last two cycles
were not won by points, then amend Rule 655 to change the base value of
the Magic Number to the smallest prime number greater than (the current
Magic Number*0.9). Reset the Magic Number to the base Magic Number. 
FIX

[From here on the changes are deletions due to the consolidation of
winning conditions into the Suber acquisition rule.]

Delete the last sentence of Rule 601.
Renumber Rule 601 to Rule 654.

Delete the sentence of Rule 603 starting with "If exactly one voting
player" and finishing with "Winning Condition".  
Delete the sentence of Rule 603 which reads "None of the players shall win
the cycle at this time."

Renumber Rule 603 to Rule 655.

Delete from Rule 605 the following <>-delimited text:

<>
(1) win the current Cycle of the Game, if the Proposal which created the
rule was non-Modest. This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after
the score changes as a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. 
<>

Renumber Rule 605 to Rule 656.

Delete the second and third sentences of Rule 620.
[The Chartreuse Goose condition by now has been subsumed into the rest of
the Winning Condition set.]
Delete the sentence of rule 620 which reads:
"If this judgement is not overruled, then the player who called for
judgement is declared the winner of the cycle; the win occurring at the
time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ under the current rules. "
[Again, already covered by the acquisition of Suber rules.]

Renumber Rule 620 to Rule 657.

Delete the last two sentences of Section VII of Rule 850.
[The Museum winning condition has been converted into Subers.]

Replace the following ARMAGEDDON-delimited text from Rule 1320 with the
SIMPLE-delimited text following:
ARMAGEDDON
The End of the World causes the cycle to immediately end. The winner of
the cycle will be the active or vacationing player who had donated the
most A$ to The Round Earth Restoration Society at the time that the Earth
was made round. If this selection method results in a tie, or the player
who would win is for some reason ineligible to win the cycle, then the
player who most recently became Enlightened out of those players who are
tied will be the winner of the cycle. If none of the players who are tied
for most A$ donated to The Round Earth Society are Enlightened, then the
Speaker will randomly select with equal probability one of the players who
are tied to be the winner. In any of these cases, the winner will receive
the title of Prophet of Doom.
ARMAGEDDON

SIMPLE
If the End of the World causes the cycle to end, then the winner will
receive the title of Prophet of Doom.
SIMPLE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:06:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2446

Proposal 2446
Changes to Subers
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Append the following LOBE delimited text to Rule 651.1:

LOBE
g) When a player is declared the winner of a game described in the Games
and Contests Rule Suite, and the game was not a Duel, and involved 6 or
more players, then e shall receive 1 Suber.  However, no player may earn
more than 3 Subers in any one calendar month by this method.

h) When a player is declared the winner of a game of Grab-a-Donkey, e
shall receive 1 Suber.

i) When a player acquires the title of Winner of a Game of PartyChess, e
shall also receive 2 Subers.  If e is a Party Swinger, then all other
members of that Political Party shall receive 1 Suber.  If e is an NAP
Swinger, all other players who are not members of any Political Party
shall receive 1 Suber. However, in the event that any player acquired that
title earlier in the same calendar month, no Subers shall be received.
LOBE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:10:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2447

Proposal 2447
Mediocrity Correction
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Replace the text "A round must last at least three days" in Rule 1250.17
with the following OPTION delimited text:

OPTION
A round must last at least three days, or at least until all players other
than the Moderator have submitted a legitimate number to the Moderator,
whichever comes first.
OPTION

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #217
*********************************