Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #211
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Thursday, November 27 1997     Volume 02 : Number 211

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2408

Proposal 2408
Rule-Harfer
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[While drinking booze, I quickly wrote this 
clever proposal to expunge junk from the rules.

gist: give acka a rule keeper, and clear out
some of the clutter in the 300s.  Although a new
rule is created, two are deleted, and they become
simpler, IMO.
]}}

- -------------------------------------------

Create a new rule numbered 407.1, entitled
"Rule-Harfer", with the following text:

"
The Office of the Rule-Harfer is a Functional Office. The Duties are: 

a) To keep an accurate copy of the Rules of Ackanomic (known as the
Official Rules Document), and to make the text of the Official Rules
Document available to any player upon request.

b) To annotate each rule in the Official Rules Document with customary
ancillary information, such as the Rule's author, revision number, and
revision history, when known.

The Privileges are:

a) To add section headers and other furniture to the Official Rules
Document.  This furniture does not become part of the Rules.

b) To add whitespace and line breaks to the Rules. The Rule-Harfer 
should consider all player requests to do so. 

c) To maintain the Official Rules Document as seperate physical
documents, provided there is at least one physical document from
which all the rules can be located.

The Official Rules Document is not the Rules.  Modification of the
Official Rules Document does not affect the rules.

{{If there is a active player named breadbox, he is appointed to
 the office of Rule-Harfer}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 311, "Rule Suites", to replace:

"
4) It is a privilege of the Web-Harfer to move rules which are members
of Rule Suites out of the main rules document into a separate document,
and to establish and maintain a link from the link phrase (section 1 d))
to this document. If any such member rules are moved to a separate 
document, then all such member rules of that Rule Suite must be moved
to that document, and the link must be established and maintained. 
"

with:

"
4) [It is a privilege of the Rule-Harfer to move rules which are members
of Rule Suites out of the main rules document into separate 
physical documents, and to establish and maintain a link from the link
phrase (section 1 d)) to these documents.]

{{[it is a suggestion that they be placed at the end of the main 
physical html document with the links changed to internal anchors,
to ease in global searching and for simplifying downloads]}}
"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 407, "Web-Harfer", to remove the following text:

"
b) To add whitespace and line breaks to the rules. The Web-Harfer should
consider all player requests to do so. 

c) To seek and appoint Assistant Web-Harfers as needed to keep the Ackanomic
WWW page up-to-date. [This is a duty
because the Web-Harfer is obligated to get help when it is needed, rather than
let the Ackanomic WWW page become
out-of-date.] 
"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 305, "For Personal Glory..."
Repeal rule 307, "Revision Numbers"

{{[end of proposal]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:15:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2409

Proposal 2409
Wearing a Silly Agenda Hat
two-star (Alexandre Muniz)

This is a grandiose proposal

{{[Gist: This creates a new cycle win around player submitted agendas,
using a sort of point based handicapping to compensate for discrepancies
in the difficulties of submitted conditions. More importantly, it
reintroduces hats and eggplants to Acka, the lack of which has been
causing this place to go to hell in a handbasket. (More importantly
still, it contributes to the baroque complexity of the ruleset, which
was the main reason I joined this game.)]}}

Amend rule 931 "Garments" as follows.

Replace the sentence,  "The owner, and only the owner, of a particular
garment may don that garment if he is currently wearing no garment, or
remove it if he is currently wearing it."
with,  "The owner, and only the owner, of a particular garment may don
that garment if he is currently not wearing that garment, or remove it
if he is currently wearing it. The location of a garment that is being
worn is the same as that of its wearer" {{[because it really ought to be
possible to wear pants and a sweater at the same time, and it would also
be nice to be able to take your pants with you when you leave home.]}}

Append the following paragraph:

"Hats, which may also be refered to as headware, are a class of
garments. A player may wear at most one hat. This rule defers to any
rule describing the the number and type of hats a player may wear."

Rename rule 931 "Garments" to "Garments, Especially Hats"

Amend rule 854 "Ackanomic Institute of Genetic Replication: by replacing

"Extra head: Cost -- 50 A$. Each extra head possessed by a player allows
him to wear one more piece of headwear than he would otherwise be
allowed. This takes precedence over other rules dealing with any form of
headwear inasmuch as their restrictions on the number of pieces of
headwear a player may wear are relaxed for those with extra heads.
Players with extra heads are encouraged to occasionally get into public
arguments amongst their heads."

with

"Extra head: Cost -- 50 A$. Due to limitations in extra head technology,
every extra head after the first that a player has is shriveled and
misshapen. Therefore, a player with an extra head may wear one more
piece of headwear than would otherwise be allowed, but additional extra
heads do not allow a player to wear more headwear  Players with extra
heads are encouraged to occasionally get into public arguments amongst
their heads. [See also rule 931]"

Create a rule numbered 607, entitled "Winning by Agenda" with text
delemited by THIMBLEBERRY

THIMBLEBERRY
If a player owns at least three Agenda Hats, and it is publicly knowable
that the condition for each Agenda Hat e owns is true, and that player's
score is greater than or equal to the sum of the weights of all of the
agenda hats e owns, then the following will occur:
a) E will receive the title of Agent of KAOS. Any other player with this
title loses it.
a) The owner of any Nemesis Eggplant with a condition that is the same
as the condition of an agenda hat owned by the Agent of KAOS must pay 40
A$ to the Agent of KAOS.
b) All Agenda hats owned by the Agent of KAOS and all Nemesis eggplants
with corresponding conditions are destroyed
c) The Agent of KAOS achieves a Winning Condition.

Additionally, any player who had owned a Nemesis Eggplant that was
destroyed as above has eir score reset to -40 rather than 0 when scores
are reset at the start of the next cycle. [See Rule 666]
THIMBLEBERRY

Amend Rule 666 "End of Cycle" by replacing the text,

"b) All Chartreuse Goose Eggs and Right-Handed Grapefruit are
destroyed."
with,

"b) All Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed Grapefruit and Agenda Hats
that are not being worn are destroyed. All Nemesis Eggplants with the
same condition as an Agenda Hat that was destroyed in this manner are
destroyed."

Create a rule numbered 431 entitled "Office of the Illuminatus." with
text delimited by SALAL

SALAL
The Office of the Illuminatus is an optional office.

The duties of the Illuminatus are to collect Agenda Conditions, conduct
bidding on Nemesis Eggplants, and distrubute and track Agenda Hats, as
described in this rule.

The Illuminatus shall publicly announce a call for Agenda Condition
submissions, if, for any reason, no such call has occured during the
current cycle. The Agenda Condition submission period will last for
seven days after this. 
During this time, any player may submit a number of  Agenda Conditions
equal to three minus the number of Agenda Hats e owns by sending them to
the Illuminatus. If a player sends more than this number of Agenda
Conditions, only the first Agenda Conditions sent will be counted.

Agenda Conditions should be statements that may be true or false
depending on the game state. If the words "this hat," or "this eggplant"
are used in an Agenda Condition, they shall be equivalent to, "the
Agenda Hat associated with this Agenda Condition," and "the Nemesis
Eggplant associated with this Agenda Condition," respectively.

At the end of the 3 days, the Illuminatus must release a list of all
submitted Agenda Conditions, along with the names of the players who
submitted each.
If at least 4 players have submitted Agenda Conditions, the Illuminatus
must initiate a seven day Nemesis Eggplant bidding period.
During the Nemesis eggplant bidding period, each player who submitted
Agenda conditions may send a Weight bid corresponding to each submitted
Agenda Condition to the Illuminatus. Weight bids must be integers
between (-2 Magic Number / 3) and (Magic Number / 3). If a player does
not send a weight bid for a particular Agenda Condition, that player
will be considered to have bid (Magic Number / 3), rounded down, on that
condition.

At the conclusion of the bidding period, the following occurs:

z) Initially, all conditions are under consideration.

a) The Illuminatus will determine the condition under consideration
which has the lowest bid. Ties should be broken randomly.

b) A Nemesis Eggplant with that condition is awarded to the lowest
bidder on that condition who has less than 3 Nemesis Eggplants. Ties
among lowest bidders should be broken randomly. 

c) That condition is removed from consideration. If any conditions are
still under consideration, this process repeats, starting with a)

d) The Illuminatus may change the condition associated with any Nemesis
Eggplant if e believes that it is impossible for a player to achieve
that condition in normal play or the condition is otherwise unharfy [For
example, a condition that would be satisfied by spamming the mailing
list with 1000's of messages would be technically easy to achieve, but a
bad idea all around.]  The condition that the Illuminatus chooses should
be easily attainable. It should also be silly.

e)  For each newly created Nemesis Eggplant, an agenda Hat with the same
condition and a weight equal to the second lowest bid on its condition
is created in the hidden state. Any Agenda Hats with a condition that
was chosen by the Illuminatus according to d) are Silly Agenda Hats, and
instead are created with a weight of (Magic Number / 4) rounded up.

f) Each player who submitted Agenda Conditions receives a number of
agenda hats equal to the number of conditions e submitted. The Agenda
Hats must be distruted randomly among these players, except that no
player shall receive an Agenda Hat with a condition that e authored or
that is the same as that of a Nemesis Eggplant e owns.

g) The Illuminatus must publicly announce the owners and conditions for
each Nemesis Eggplant created, and the weights and conditions for each
Agenda Hat created. The Illuminatus must privately notify each player
who received Agenda Hats as to the conditions of each Agenda Hat that
player received.

It is also a duty of the Illuminatus to check that the correct condition
is being revealed when a player makes an Agenda Hat visible.

It is a priviledge of the Illuminatus that e acheives a Winning
Condition if it is publicly knowable that e has a score that is greater
than 5/6 times the Magic Number.
SALAL

Create a rule numbered 671 entitled Nemesis Eggplants and Agenda Hats,
with text delimited by RED-FLOWERING CURRANT

RED-FLOWERING CURRANT
Nemesis Eggplants are ownable Entities. Each Nemesis Eggplant has a
condition associated with it.

Agenda Hats are ownable Headwear. Each Agenda Hat has a condition and a
weight (which must be an integer,) associated with it. No player may own
an agenda hat with a condition e authored. Agenda hats may be Silly as
described by the rules. They may be either visible or hidden, (but not
both.) The owner of a hidden Agenda Hat may make it visible by publicly
posting the condition associated with it. Visible Agenda Hats are
tradable. Only visible Agenda Hats may be worn. The author of an Agenda
Hat's condition may publicly post a description of that Agenda Hat.

If player who is wearing a Silly Agenda Hat posts a public message that
does not contain the words, "wearing a Silly Agenda Hat," that Silly
Agenda Hat falls off and is no longer being worn.

RED-FLOWERING CURRANT

{{two-star becomes the Illuminatus. [I am willing to resign if anyone
else wants it.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:19:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2410

Proposal 2410
Wearing a Silly Green Trinket
two-star (Alexandre Muniz)

This is a modest proposal.
In rule 709 Gaol, replace the word "Hatters" with "Sculptors"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:22:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2411

Proposal 2411
Conventions
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[gist: consolidate some of our conventions into one
rule, with a convienent rule to add new ones to.  I'd
like to place that alphabetic rule in here too with
simple ascii sorting -- perhaps later.  Slowly trimming
the size of the ruleset, in any case...]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------

Renumber rule 340, "Spelling Errors" to 339.

- ---------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 346, "Self Deleting Text" [prevent a pretty nasty
side effect of this ;-)]

- -----------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule called "Conventions", numbered 340, with
the following text:

"
The following conventions apply to all Ackanomic text, except
where a specific type of text (e.g. rules), is specified.

I.  Unambiguous spelling errors shall be treated as if the mispelled
word were spelled correctly.

II.  Numbers shall be considered misspelled words for the purposes
of the rules when it can be determined beyond reasonable doubt that
a particular number is in error, and what the intended number is.
The intended number is considered the correct spelling in this case.

III.  When text is specified as delimited, the end of the document
in question serves as an ending delimiter if an ending delimiter is
otherwise missing.  Delimiters do not nest, except when the double 
quote character is used as a delimiter.

IV.  Text delimited by square brackets [e.g. this] is a note.  Notes
have no semantic meaning.

V.  Text in rules other than this one, delimited by double
curly braces {{e.g. this}}, is self-deleting text.  Self-deleting text
is applied once, in the order it appears in the document, then it is
deleted.  Rules whose text section consist of nothing but self-deleting
text, whitespace, and furniture are called "Self-Deleting Rules", and
such rules are repealed after their self-deleting text is applied.
"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 339, "Spelling Errors".
Repeal rule 344, "Notes and Comments".

{{[end of proposal]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:28:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2412

Proposal 2412
Testing the Waters
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a modest proposal.

Repeal rule 206, "Keep 'Em In The Game". [never used, boring]
Repeal rule 259, "Evil Twins". [can be done without rule, doesn't affect game
state]
Repeal rule 319, "Unanimity Is Lovely [...]" [plenty of other must describe
harf]
Repeal rule 1127, "Sanctity of Harf"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:31:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2413

Proposal 2413
The Circular Files
Malenkai (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

- ------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal rule 1118, "Dealing with the Paranormal"

{{[more must describe harf that is never used.  The
last two Krykec's have failed to post, and I'm not sure
this is being enforced w.r.t Rex Mundi, if appropriate.
Isn't Phoebe enough?  Its time to follow and harf these
rules, or to dump them.]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 261, "Zombie Master" to remove:

"
Bidding an Undead to do one of the above counts as a Paranormal Power 
use by a player entity (the controlling player). 
"

- ----------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 910, "The Ackanomicon", to remove:

"
Reading this page is considered a use of a Paranormal Power by the 
reading player.
"

and to remove:

"
Reading this page is considered a use of a Paranormal Power by The Ackanomicon,
but the reader must volunteer to be the Krykec for this occurance. 
"

- ------------------------------------------------------------

Amend rule 1007, "Organizational Powers", to remove:

"
Any Powers that contain the word 'alien', 'ufo', 'gray', 'green', 'occult', 
'subterfuge', 'abduction', 'unnatural' or plural thereof, shall also be 
considered Paranormal Powers. Use by an organization of such a power
counts as a non-player entity use of such. 
"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:36:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2384 accepted

Results of Proposal 2384

13/16 votes: Quorum achieved
7/9 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
ThinMan             (Vulcan)
Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
/dev/joe            (Vulcan)
Slakko              (SPAM)
Vynd                (Vulcan)
Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)
K 2

    NO:
Malenkai            (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi

    PRESENT:
Balsamic Dragon     (SPAM)
breadbox
Fortunato           (SPAM)
mr cwm              (SPAM)

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)
Red Barn
two-star            (MetaMorph)

    VACATIONING:
norpan
Archie Leach

    PENDING:
Michael Wren
The Gingham Wearer

> Proposal 2384 - Wed 19 Nov 1997 13:24:05
> Cheer on Your Swinger
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> Amend Rule 1044 by creating section 2.c as follows, delimited by SUPPORT:
> 
> SUPPORT
> If the application of Section 2a results in Swingpoints being awarded to
> at least one Party Swinger on a particular Monday, then all other members
> of the Party of the Party Swinger who received more Swingpoints than any
> other Party Swinger (or the only Party Swinger who received Swingpoints,
> if only one received any) each receive one Swingpoint for eir support
> immediately after Swinger Swingpoints are awarded.
> SUPPORT

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 07:52:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2415

Proposal 2415
I wana hovel
K 2 (Kelly Kelly)

This is a Grandiose proposal.

{{ and anyone who doesn't thinks so should be tarred and feathered }}

Amend Rule 839 as follows:

Replace the word 'six' with 'seven'.

Insert 'hovel (cramped, puny and rundown) (1 land unit)' as the second
line.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 07:58:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2416

Proposal 2416
Fables of the Reconstruction of the Fables
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 1307, "Ackanomic Middle Ages".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:00:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2417

Proposal 2417
The Pick, The Sickle And The Shovel
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

Create a new rule, numbered 1240.17, and named "Otzma Card of type
Grave Robber", with text as follows(delimited by MERCUTIO):

MERCUTIO
This card may be played only in the public forum.

If the owner of this card, when it is played, does not possess a Shovel of
some description[that is, an entity with the word "Shovel" in its name],
then the card has no effect.

Otherwise, if e names any Undead in the same message, who is not
controlled as a Zombie, then the following will occur:  If the Undead owns
any entites besides A$ and Bonds Promissory, then one of those entities,
selected at random, is transferred to the player of the card.  Otherwise,
10 A$, or all the Undead's A$ plus enough BPs to total 10 if the Undead
does not have enough A$, shall be transferred to the player of the card.

Counter-Action: The card-player's Shovel, any entities taken from the
Undead by playing the Card, and one other entity chosen at random(or
10 A$ or PFs, as in the last sentence of the previous paragraph, if no
other entities are owned by the card-player), are transferred to the
possession of the Undead.

At any given time there may be at most 5 Cards of this type.  'Grave
Robber' Otzma Cards have an F-designation of Normal.
MERCUTIO

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #211
*********************************