Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #210
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest    Wednesday, November 26 1997    Volume 02 : Number 210

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:24:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2382 accepted

Results of Proposal 2382

13/16 votes: Quorum achieved
10/12 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko              (SPAM)
ThinMan             (Vulcan)
Balsamic Dragon     (SPAM)
Malenkai            (Vulcan)
Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
/dev/joe            (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi
Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)
Fortunato           (SPAM)
K 2                                     [K 2 is no longer pending]

    NO:
Vynd                (Vulcan)
mr cwm              (SPAM)

    PRESENT:
breadbox

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)
Red Barn
two-star            (MetaMorph)

    VACATIONING:
norpan
Archie Leach

    PENDING:
Michael Wren
The Gingham Wearer

> Proposal 2382 - Wed 19 Nov 1997 03:07:03
> Indiana Jones and the Haunts of the Undead
> ThinMan (John Bollinger)
> 
> Create a new rule, numbered 240, with the following
> double-asterisk-delimited text:
> 
> **
> {{[ Gist: get those elements of the Jukkasjarvi treasure hunt which are
> owned by Undead back into general play. ]}}
> 
> This rule takes precedence over rule 258.
> 
> {{
> The trinkets 'Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragment 22' (currently owned by
> the Undead Chaos) and 'Runestone of Jukkasjarvi Fragment 23' (currently
> owned by the Undead Mr. Lunatic Fringe) and the Jukkasjarvi Mind
> Control Laser currently owned by the Undead Narf are hereby transferred
> to Malenkai.
> }}
> 
> Malenkai shall auction the entities transferred to him by this rule in
> seperate auctions, each auction commencing within seven days of the
> creation of this rule.  Malenkai shall select the auction types and
> other auction parameters for these three auctions as he likes from among
> the otherwise legal types and parameters.
> 
> This rule repeals itself after Malenkai no longer owns any of the
> entities transferred to him by this rule.
> **

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:29:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2383 accepted

Results of Proposal 2383

13/16 votes: Quorum achieved
6/6 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko              (SPAM)
ThinMan             (Vulcan)
Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
/dev/joe            (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi
Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)

    NO:

    PRESENT:
Balsamic Dragon     (SPAM)
breadbox
Malenkai            (Vulcan)
Vynd                (Vulcan)
Fortunato           (SPAM)
mr cwm              (SPAM)
K 2

    ABSTAINED:
Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)
Red Barn
two-star            (MetaMorph)

    VACATIONING:
norpan
Archie Leach

    PENDING:
Michael Wren
The Gingham Wearer

> Proposal 2383 - Wed 19 Nov 1997 03:10:34
> Covering for King Capture
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> Amend Rule 1230.1 Section 2 Subsection D by appending the
> sentence delimited by MONARCH:
> MONARCH
> A King may not be purchased in this way.
> MONARCH
> 
> Append the following PENALTY-delimited text to Rule 1230.2:
> PENALTY
> 8. King Capture
> If a legitimate play by one Swinger (hereafter referred to as the
> "SneakThief" results in the capture of a King owned
> by another Swinger (referred to as the "Sucker"), then the following
> events shall happen at the end of the play.
> (i) If the Sucker owns at least 20 of eir own PFBonds, then e shall
> transfer 20 such PFBonds to the SneakThief.
> (ii) If the Sucker owns less than 20 of eir own PFBonds, but more than 20
> PFBonds of all players in total, then e must choose 20 PFBonds (including
> all of eir self-PFBonds) to transfer to the SneakThief.  The transfer must
> be made within 7 days, or the Chess-Umpire will organise the transfer of
> the PFBonds, with choices between PFBonds of other players owned by the
> Sucker decided randomly.
> (iii) If the Sucker owns fewer than 20 PFBonds in total, then e must
> transfer all the PFBonds e owns to the SneakThief, and additionally pay
> the SneakThief A$5*n, where 20-n PFBonds were transferred.  If the Sucker
> has insufficient cash to perform this transaction, then all eir $A will be
> transferred to the SneakThief and the Sucker is said to have Lost Eir
> Shirt.
> (iv) A new King is created in the possession of the Sucker, and held
> off-board.
> 
> If more than one King is captured during a single play, then each Swinger
> in the role of Sucker is dealt with separately.  Delays in the performance
> of parts (i)-(iv) of the above list of events shall not prevent the
> continuation of the game of Party Chess.
> PENALTY

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:16:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2405

Proposal 2405
Grand Dramatic Win Condition Rejig
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Grandiose Proposal.
[You'd better believe it, buster!]
[The aim of this proposal - to unify all the different winning methods
without completely going round the twist, and thereby to make changes to
the methods of achieving a win much simpler - just come up with different
ways to get Subers, and make existing ways worth less Subers or none
altogether!]

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 50, entitled "Win Condition", with text
as delimited by WOOHOO below:

WOOHOO
The only cycle winning conditions are those described in this Rule.  This
rule has precedence over all other rules which claim to describe cycle
winning conditions.  A cycle winning condition is achieved when a single
player has 20 or more Subers in eir possession, and no other player has 20
or more Subers, and the single player possessing 20 or more Subers does
not possess the Chartreuse Goose.
WOOHOO

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 51, entitled "Subers", with text as
delimited by PETER below:

PETER
Subers are non-tradable entities.  Any references elsewhere in the Rules
to players receiving or losing Subers are to be interpreted as the
creation or destruction of Subers in that player's possession.  No
non-player entity may possess Subers (the singular of Subers is Suber).
This rule takes precedence over all rules which affect non-tradable
entities.
PETER

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 51.1, entitled "Gaining Subers", with
text as delimited by FREAKAZOID below:

FREAKAZOID
Players may only receive Subers as described in this Rule, but when they
do receive them according to this rule, "received" is to be interpreted as
in Rule 51.  The following are the only ways to receive Subers:
a) Whenever there is a unique player who has more than the Magic Number of
points in eir possession, e shall receive 20 Subers.
b) A player whose score divides (MN-1) without remainder, where MN is the
Magic Number, may Take The Box.  When a player Takes The Box, e receives
30/N^2 Subers, rounded down, where N = (MN-1)/P, MN is the Magic Number,
and P is the player's score when e Took The Box.
[e.g. Magic Number 257.  A player on 128 may Take the Box, as 256/128 = 2.
Doing so would earn em 7 subers (= 30/2^2 rounded down)]
c) Whenever a verdict of TRUE is reached on a Paradox Win CFJ, the player
who submitted it shall receive 18 Subers, provided e is a voting player at
the time the verdict ceases to be appealable.
d) The instant after a player receives the title of "Sage o' Doe Gas", e
shall receive 15 Subers.
e) When the End of the World occurs as specified in Rule 1320, the active
non-vacationing player who has donated most A$ to the Round Earth
Restoration Society when the Earth was made Round shall receive 20 Subers,
if a unique qualifying person exists.  If no unique qualifying person
exists, then the same amount of Subers will be received by each player
who, if the other players did not exist, would qualify as a unique
qualifying person.  This number will be the minimum number required for at
least one player to reach exactly 20 Subers.  If no players qualify, then
all players in the game, voting, non-voting or vacationing, but not On
Ice, shall receive 10 Subers for witnessing the End of the World.
f) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$1000, 
and has never exceeded A$1000 before, then e shall receive 4 Subers.
g) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$5000,
and has never exceeded A$5000 before, then e shall receive 15 Subers.
h) When a player is declared the winner of a game described in the Games
and Contests Rule Suite, and the game was not a Duel, and involved 6 or
more players, then e shall receive 1 Suber.
i) When a player is declared the winner of a game of Grab-a-Donkey, e
shall receive 2 Subers.
j) When a player receives a Chess-Champ's Cardigan, e shall also receive 3
Subers.
This rule takes precedence over all rules which claim to describe methods
by which players may receive Subers.
FREAKAZOID

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 52, entitled "Excessive Subers", with
text as delimited by REMOVE below:

REMOVE
If at any time 2 or more players each possess 20 or more Subers each, then
every player in the game will have eir number of Subers possessed reduced
to (19/m) of their Suber total immediately prior to the application of
this rule, rounded down, where m is the largest number of Subers held by
any player prior to the application of this rule.
If at any time only 1 player possesses 20 or more Subers, but e also
possesses the Chartreuse Goose, then the player will lose 25 Subers or all
eir Subers, whichever is less, and the Chartreuse Goose shall then go
Somehwere Else.
REMOVE

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section k with the following FIX delimited
text:

FIX
k) The winner of the cycle loses all eir, or 25 Subers, whichever is less.
All other players lose half eir Subers, rounded down.
FIX

Renumber Rule 666 to Rule 53.

[From here on the changes are deletions due to the consolidation of
winning conditions into the Suber acquisition rule.]

Delete the last sentence of Rule 601.
Renumber Rule 601 to Rule 54.

Delete the sentence of Rule 603 starting with "If exactly one voting
player" and finishing with "Winning Condition".  Change all instances of
the number "666" in Rule 603 to "53".
Delete the sentence of Rule 603 which reads "None of the players shall win
the cycle at this time."

Renumber Rule 603 to Rule 55.

Delete from Rule 605 the following <>-delimited text:

<>
(1) win the current Cycle of the Game, if the Proposal which created the
rule was non-Modest. This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after
the score changes as a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. 
<>

Renumber Rule 605 to Rule 56.

Delete the second and third sentences of Rule 620.
[The Chartreuse Goose condition by now has been subsumed into the rest of
the Winning Condition set.]
Delete the sentence of rule 620 which reads:
"If this judgement is not overruled, then the player who called for
judgement is declared the winner of the cycle; the win occurring at the
time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ under the current rules. "
[Again, already covered by the acquisition of Suber rules.]

Renumber Rule 620 to Rule 57.

Renumber all rules numbered N, where 667 <= N <= 670, to N-600.
[How to win the game is an important part of the rules, so all such rules
should receive lower numbers.]

Delete the last two sentences of Section VII of Rule 850.
[The Museum winning condition has been converted into Subers.]

Replace the following ARMAGEDDON-delimited text from Rule 1320 with the
SIMPLE-delimited text following:
ARMAGEDDON
The End of the World causes the cycle to immediately end. The winner of
the cycle will be the active or vacationing player who had donated the
most A$ to The Round Earth Restoration Society at the time that the Earth
was made round. If this selection method results in a tie, or the player
who would win is for some reason ineligible to win the cycle, then the
player who most recently became Enlightened out of those players who are
tied will be the winner of the cycle. If none of the players who are tied
for most A$ donated to The Round Earth Society are Enlightened, then the
Speaker will randomly select with equal probability one of the players who
are tied to be the winner. In any of these cases, the winner will receive
the title of Prophet of Doom.
ARMAGEDDON

SIMPLE
If the End of the World causes the cycle to end, then the winner will
receive the title of Prophet of Doom.
SIMPLE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 06:56:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2406

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 06:57:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2406

Proposal 2406
Grand Dramatic Win Condition Rejig Rejigged
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

This is a Grandiose Proposal.
[You'd better believe it, buster!]
[The aim of this proposal - to unify all the different winning methods
without completely going round the twist, and thereby to make changes to
the methods of achieving a win much simpler - just come up with different
ways to get Subers, and make existing ways worth less Subers or none
altogether!]

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 50, entitled "Win Condition", with text
as delimited by WOOHOO below:

WOOHOO
The only cycle winning conditions are those described in this Rule.  This
rule has precedence over all other rules which claim to describe cycle
winning conditions.  A cycle winning condition is achieved when a single
player has 20 or more Subers in eir possession, and no other player has 20
or more Subers, and the single player possessing 20 or more Subers does
not possess the Chartreuse Goose.
WOOHOO

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 51, entitled "Subers", with text as
delimited by PETER below:

PETER
Subers are non-tradable entities.  Any references elsewhere in the Rules
to players receiving or losing Subers are to be interpreted as the
creation or destruction of Subers in that player's possession.  No
non-player entity may possess Subers (the singular of Subers is Suber).
This rule takes precedence over all rules which affect non-tradable
entities.  All Suber creation or destruction which results from a single
event shall occur simultaneously.
PETER

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 51.1, entitled "Gaining Subers", with
text as delimited by FREAKAZOID below:

FREAKAZOID
Players may only receive Subers as described in this Rule, but when they
do receive them according to this rule, "received" is to be interpreted as
in Rule 51.  The following are the only ways to receive Subers:
a) Whenever there is a unique player who has more than the Magic Number of
points in eir possession, e shall receive 20 Subers.
b) A player whose score divides (MN-1) without remainder, where MN is the
Magic Number, may Take The Box.  When a player Takes The Box, e receives
30/N^2 Subers, rounded down, where N = (MN-1)/P, MN is the Magic Number,
and P is the player's score when e Took The Box.  The player's score is
set to 0 simultaneously with the creation of the Subers.
[e.g. Magic Number 257.  A player on 128 may Take the Box, as 256/128 = 2.
Doing so would earn em 7 subers (= 30/2^2 rounded down)]
c) Whenever a verdict of TRUE is reached on a Paradox Win CFJ, the player
who submitted it shall receive 18 Subers, provided e is a voting player at
the time the verdict ceases to be appealable.
d) The instant after a player receives the title of "Sage o' Doe Gas", e
shall receive 15 Subers.
e) When the End of the World occurs as specified in Rule 1320, the active
non-vacationing player who has donated most A$ to the Round Earth
Restoration Society when the Earth was made Round shall receive 20 Subers,
if a unique qualifying person exists.  If no unique qualifying person
exists, then the same amount of Subers will be received by each player
who, if the other players did not exist, would qualify as a unique
qualifying person.  This number will be the minimum number required for at
least one player to reach exactly 20 Subers.  If no players qualify, then
all players in the game, voting, non-voting or vacationing, but not On
Ice, shall receive 10 Subers for witnessing the End of the World.
f) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$1000, 
and has never exceeded A$1000 before, then e shall receive 4 Subers.
g) If a player's BV as described in Rule 850, "Museum", exceeds A$5000,
and has never exceeded A$5000 before, then e shall receive 15 Subers.
h) When a player is declared the winner of a game described in the Games
and Contests Rule Suite, and the game was not a Duel, and involved 6 or
more players, then e shall receive 1 Suber.
i) When a player is declared the winner of a game of Grab-a-Donkey, e
shall receive 2 Subers.
j) When a player receives a Chess-Champ's Cardigan, e shall also receive 3
Subers.
This rule takes precedence over all rules which claim to describe methods
by which players may receive Subers.
FREAKAZOID

Create a new Rule, numbered Rule 52, entitled "Excessive Subers", with
text as delimited by REMOVE below:

REMOVE
If at any time 2 or more players each possess 20 or more Subers each, then
every player in the game will have eir number of Subers possessed reduced
to (19/m) of their Suber total immediately prior to the application of
this rule, rounded down, where m is the largest number of Subers held by
any player prior to the application of this rule.
If at any time only 1 player possesses 20 or more Subers, but e also
possesses the Chartreuse Goose, then the player will lose 25 Subers or all
eir Subers, whichever is less, and the Chartreuse Goose shall then go
Somewhere Else.
REMOVE

Amend Rule 666 by replacing section k with the following FIX delimited
text:

FIX
k) The winner of the cycle loses all eir Subers, or 25 Subers, whichever
is less.  All other players lose half eir Subers, rounded down.  The Magic
Number of points is reset to the base Magic Number.
FIX

Renumber Rule 666 to Rule 53.

[From here on the changes are deletions due to the consolidation of
winning conditions into the Suber acquisition rule.]

Delete the last sentence of Rule 601.
Renumber Rule 601 to Rule 54.

Delete the sentence of Rule 603 starting with "If exactly one voting
player" and finishing with "Winning Condition".  Change all instances of
the number "666" in Rule 603 to "53".
Delete the sentence of Rule 603 which reads "None of the players shall win
the cycle at this time."

Renumber Rule 603 to Rule 55.

Delete from Rule 605 the following <>-delimited text:

<>
(1) win the current Cycle of the Game, if the Proposal which created the
rule was non-Modest. This win, if it occurs, shall occur immediately after
the score changes as a result of the Proposal being accepted are applied. 
<>

Renumber Rule 605 to Rule 56.

Delete the second and third sentences of Rule 620.
[The Chartreuse Goose condition by now has been subsumed into the rest of
the Winning Condition set.]
Delete the sentence of rule 620 which reads:
"If this judgement is not overruled, then the player who called for
judgement is declared the winner of the cycle; the win occurring at the
time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ under the current rules. "
[Again, already covered by the acquisition of Suber rules.]

Renumber Rule 620 to Rule 57.

Renumber all rules numbered N, where 667 <= N <= 670, to N-600.
[How to win the game is an important part of the rules, so all such rules
should receive lower numbers.]

Delete the last two sentences of Section VII of Rule 850.
[The Museum winning condition has been converted into Subers.]

Replace the following ARMAGEDDON-delimited text from Rule 1320 with the
SIMPLE-delimited text following:
ARMAGEDDON
The End of the World causes the cycle to immediately end. The winner of
the cycle will be the active or vacationing player who had donated the
most A$ to The Round Earth Restoration Society at the time that the Earth
was made round. If this selection method results in a tie, or the player
who would win is for some reason ineligible to win the cycle, then the
player who most recently became Enlightened out of those players who are
tied will be the winner of the cycle. If none of the players who are tied
for most A$ donated to The Round Earth Society are Enlightened, then the
Speaker will randomly select with equal probability one of the players who
are tied to be the winner. In any of these cases, the winner will receive
the title of Prophet of Doom.
ARMAGEDDON

SIMPLE
If the End of the World causes the cycle to end, then the winner will
receive the title of Prophet of Doom.
SIMPLE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 07:13:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2407

Proposal 2407
Rustproof +6 Proposal
Alfvaen (Aaron Humphrey)

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 942, "The Widget of Yendor".  {{[ I've never seen this
thing used in the time I've been here...  Also, it reminds me of how
I've never managed to win a game of nethack. ]}}

Amend Rule 594.16, "Blueprint: Pulse Laser", by changing "Widget of
Yendor" to "Pyraic Frobnotzer".  {{[ Best replacement I could think of
off the top of my head... ]}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #210
*********************************