Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #208
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Monday, November 24 1997      Volume 02 : Number 208

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:58:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2395

Proposal 2395
Nuke Institutions
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal R1001 "Institutions"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:58:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2396

Proposal 2396
Harfy Chess
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Insert the following MOREHARF-delimited text immediately before Section 3
of Rule 1044, preceded by the earliest letter in the alphabet which
results in this subsection being given a unique subsection number in
Section 2 of Rule 1044:

MOREHARF
Every Monday the Chess-Umpire shall indicate the Harfiest Play of the
Week, being the move which, in eir opinion, was the harfiest.  If all
plays during the week were Pass or Surrender, then e may indicate that no
play was the Harfiest.  E may not designate eir own plays as Harfy unless
either (a) no other play during the week was non-Pass non-Surrender, but
eir move was, or (b) the Harfmeister (if e is not the Chess-Umpire)
agrees in a public message that it was a Harfy play.
The Swinger who made the Harfiest Play of the Week shall receive 2
Swingpoints.
MOREHARF

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 02:19:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2397

Proposal 2397
The Spelling Exchequer
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

{{[The idea of this office is to create an official proofreader that
will be available to all players who wish to make use of it. The ideal
situation is to have the Spelling Exchequer and the Promoter be one
and the same person, which is why I'm placing myself into this office
directly. (That, and also to save Malenkai the trouble of running an
election.)]}}

________

[This proposal has four effects. Effect the First:]
________

   Create Rule 430, titled "Spelling Exchequer", and to read as follows:

The optional Office of Spelling Exchequer exists.

I.

A Duty of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to proofread
Miscellaneous Submissions. The term "Miscellanous Submissions", for
the purposes of this rule, refers to texts that effect Ackanomic
business, but have not yet been submitted. Such texts include
submissions to other Offices [such as proposals and CFJs], and public
messages that are required by the rules. Other texts may also be
considered Miscellaneous Submissions for the purposes of this rule,
and the Spelling Exchequer is not required to refuse any text
submitted to em.

Another Duty of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to select one or
more links to on-line Dictionaries of the English language. The term
"Official Dictionary", as used elsewhere in the rules, shall be
construed to mean the union of these Dictionaries.

II.

At any time, players have the option of privately sending the Spelling
Exchequer Miscellanous Submissions to be proofread for errors in
spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Unless the author has specifically requested otherwise, the Spelling
Exchequer shall only make corrections or suggestions that are
concerned with errors of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. [Comments
regarding issues of style, for example, are normally considered
inappropriate.] The Spelling Exchequer shall, in good faith, attempt
to revise each document so that it is free of errors and has the
intended meaning of the author. (It is recognized, however, that this
is not always possible to achieve.)

Barring the exceptions listed below, the Spelling Exchequer must reply
to the author within three days after receiving a text. The Spelling
Exchequer's reply shall contain a corrected version of the original
document, a list of errors with explanations, or some other indication
of the changes deemed to be necesary. (The actual form should be one
that the Spelling Exchequer judges to be the most useful to the
author.)

The author of a Miscellanous Submission may permit a longer time
period for the Spelling Exchequer to compose a reply. The author
should do this by specifying a different required time when sending
the Miscellaneous Submission to the Spelling Exchequer, or alternately
specifying that there is no required time. Any such indication shall
apply only to the text it accompanies.

When the Miscellaneous Submission is a text that is to be privately
sent to another Office, the player submitting the text may choose to
allow it to be Directly Forwarded. A player doing so must indicate
this wish, and specify the intended final recipient unambiguously. In
this case, if the Spelling Exchequer finds no errors, or finds only
errors that the Spelling Bee would be permitted to fix, then the
Spelling Exchequer may send the text directly to the intended
recipient, instead of replying to the original author. (If the
Spelling Exchequer finds any errors of a more serious nature, e must
still reply to the author as above, and must not forward it to anyone
else.) The Officer who receives the proofread text shall then treat it
as if it had been submitted by the original author. {{[This part is
the main advantage of having this be in the rules: players will have
the option of having me, the Spelling Exchequer, quickly proofread a
proposal just before I, the Promoter, distribute it, presuming that
there are no errors more serious than typos.)]}}

If, for some reason, a document cannot be proofread within the
required time, the Spelling Exchequer's reply to the author should
instead be an indication of this fact (preferably with an explanation
of why). {{[This is here mainly to give the Spelling Exchequer an out
in case someone decides to submit a 100-page document, or a document
written in Basque, or some other evil act.]}}

While the Spelling Exchequer is free to proofread Miscellaneous
Submissions of any nature, it is understood that documents pertaining
to Ackanomic business are the primary concern of this Office. In
particular, texts containing potential proposals shall have the
highest priority.

III.

A Privilege of the Office of Spelling Exchequer is to initiate flights
of the Spelling Bee.

IV.

Players are in no way required to follow the suggestions of the
Spelling Exchequer. As always, the author of a public message or other
text retains full control over, and full responsibility for, its
content. Similarly, the Spelling Exchequer is not responsible for
errors that appear in the texts of other players.

As always, the Spelling Exchequer is required, as a matter of ethics,
to not allow eir actions as a player to be influenced by what e reads
in the course of fulfilling eir duties as an Officer.

________

[Effect the Second:]
________

   Modify Rule 407 ("Web-Harfer") by altering the third paragraph to
   read:

b) To select and maintain one or more links to on-line Dictionaries of
the English language when the Office of Spelling Exchequer is not
filled.

________

[Effect the Third:]
________

   Modify Rule 419.2 ("Internomic Interface") by adding the
   following text to the end of section II:

Though not required, players are strongly encouraged to have the
Spelling Exchequer proofread such Proposals before submitting them to
the Liaison.

________

[Effect the Fourth:]
________

{{breadbox is appointed to the Office of Spelling Exchequer.}}

________

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:32:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2379 accepted

Results of Proposal 2379

11/14 votes: Quorum achieved
5/8 YES votes: Proposal accepted

    YES:
Slakko              (SPAM)
Balsamic Dragon     (SPAM)
Niccolo Flychuck    (MetaMorph)
/dev/joe            (Vulcan)
Alfvaen             (MetaMorph)

    NO:
ThinMan             (Vulcan)
Rex Mundi
Vynd                (Vulcan)

    PRESENT:
Malenkai            (Vulcan)
Fortunato           (SPAM)
breadbox

    ABSTAINED:
mr cwm              (SPAM)
Red Barn
two-star            (MetaMorph)

    VACATIONING:
norpan
Archie Leach
Calvin N Hobbes     (Harf)

    PENDING:
Michael Wren

> Proposal 2379 - Mon 17 Nov 1997 14:20:50
> Clearing away the Dross
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> This is a Modest Proposal.
> 
> Create a New Rule, with the following text delimited by BLINK:
> BLINK
> {{The Capital Swinger Office known as the Office of Ben will be returned
> to the Treasury, stripped of its name, and all pieces held by that Office
> will be destroyed.
> [This is designed to get the current Party Chess state to conform more to
> the rules as they stand, where a Capital Swinger's office effectively
> disappears if they resign from Acka.  Ben left before this came into force
> AFAIK, and hence his office needs to be eliminated manually.] }} 
> BLINK

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #208
*********************************