Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #194
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest      Monday, November 10 1997      Volume 02 : Number 194

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 02:01:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2358

Proposal 2358
No Nukes! No Nukes!
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

{{[This is also a Compromise Proposal. I sympathize with Malenkai, but
I simply can't bear to just eradicate Phoebe from the rules entirely.
Thus this proposal. It will have essentially the desired effect of
Malenkai's proposal, but leaves Phoebe in the Rules ... just in
case. (It also avoids the required extra bookkeeping of the "Itch"
solution.)]}}

IF AND ONLY IF Rule 909, titled "Steel Flea", exists,
THEN amend said Rule by replacing the three paragraphs quoted here:

" If a message was not posted within a week of the player finding
  Phoebe, e is deemed to have lost the matchbox and is fined 3 points
  for being so careless. If this happens, the matchbox is deemed to be
  missing. If it is ever the case that the most recent three (or more)
  players who found Phoebe's matchbox have all failed to post her
  wisdom, then conditions are right for an outbreak of the Itch. When
  conditions are right, any player who was the third most recent
  person to find Phoebe's matchbox will develop a case of the Itch.

  The Itch is a dangerous medical disorder. Player's with a case of
  the Itch are very uncomfortable. They have an overwhelming desire to
  scratch all over their bodies. While little is known about this
  disorder, it is considered extremely contagious. Accordingly,
  players suffering from the Itch are placed under quarantine in their
  homes. While under quarantine, they may not leave their homes, and
  other players may not enter them, unless required to by the Rules.

  There are three known cures for the Itch. Any player who has been
  afflicted with the Itch for 3 consecutive weeks will then recover.
  Any player who posts a poem of 5 lines or more in praise of Phoebe,
  the Steel Flea, recovers immediately, unless they are the Poet
  Laureate, in which case the poem must be at least 15 lines. Finally,
  if any player, in accordance with this Rule, posts the wisdom of
  Phoebe, then all players afflicted with a case of the Itch
  immediately recover. It is customary for these players to be
  extremely grateful towards the person who cured them.
"

with the following three paragraphs:

  If a message was not posted within a week of the player finding
  Phoebe, e is deemed to have lost the matchbox and is fined 3 points
  for being so careless. If this happens, the matchbox is deemed to be
  missing.

  If Phoebe's matchbox is currently missing, and it is also the case
  that the most recent three (or more) players who found Phoebe's
  matchbox have all failed to post her wisdom, then Phoebe may decide
  not to be found by another player, and instead take a Leave Of
  Absence from the wisdom-dispensing business. The Officer in Charge
  of Random Things shall determine whether or not this happens, using
  whatever method e chooses. If e determines that Phoebe has decided
  to take a Leave Of Absence, then e must announce this fact publicly.
  (E is also encouraged, but not required, to post Phoebe's goodbye
  message at this time.) Upon doing so, Phoebe and Phoebe's matchbox
  shall immediately go Somewhere Else, and Phoebe's matchbox shall no
  longer be missing. Phoebe and her matchbox will remain Somewhere
  Else for a minimum of 30 days (and quite possibly much longer,
  perhaps even forever).

  If it is ever the case that Phoebe has been on a Leave Of Absence
  for 30 days or more, then Phoebe may choose at any time to end her
  Leave of Absence. The Officer in Charge of Random Things shall
  determine whether or not this happens, again using whatever method e
  chooses. If e determines that Phoebe has chosen to end her Leave of
  Absence, then e must announce this fact publicly. Upon doing so,
  Phoebe and Phoebe's matchbox will no longer be Somewhere Else, and
  Phoebe's matchbox shall immediately be missing. [And thus the
  Officer in Charge of Random Things should then determine which
  player finds Phoebe next....]

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #194
*********************************