Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #192
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Wednesday, November 5 1997     Volume 02 : Number 192

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:23:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2353

Proposal 2353
To Restore s semblance of balance.
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

{{[this does not nuke Organization of fewer than three members, it just
robs them of any ability to take action. A thousand mile walk begins with
one step.]}}

 This is a Modest Proposal.

Append the following text to R1003 Organizations:
"An Organization may not take any action, except for accepting new
members, and may not use Organizational Powers if the there are fewer than
three players who are members of the Organization."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 09:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2354

Proposal 2354
Specific Party Gravity Specifics
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Amend Rule 1230.2 Clause 6C to read as delinated by double quote marks:

"Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless it is
impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one other
piece".

Note - this is designed to ensure that a clogged board never stops a New
Swinger from getting going.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:30:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2355

Proposal 2355
Institution Decomposition
Niccolo Flychuck (Uri Bruck)

{{[ Amilder version of Antidisestablishmentarianism.  This is only the
portion that brings Institutions into the Organizationl framework as
Unique Organizations, and specifies the restrictions for Unique
Organizations]}}

 A proposal to do the following:

I. 
Append a new section to R1003 "Organization" which contains the following
text:
"When an Organization is called on to vote, it has 7 days to conduct and
publically report the results of the vote, and how each member voted,
unless the rules call for a different amount of time. If everyone who is
elligible to cast a vote in a given has done so, the restults may be
anounced before the voting period ends. For the purposes of this rule, the
composition of an Organization is taken to be its composition at the end
of any voting or decision period. Acting members are consdered to be
members in place of the members they are acting for. 

"

II.
Append a new section to R1003 "Organization" which contains the following
text:
"This section takes precedence over all rules concerning Unique
Organizations, and all rules concerning Organizational Powers. It is
impermissible for Unique Organizations to use Organizational Powers. If a
Uniquie Organization comes to own an Organizational Power, by any means,
then that Organizational Power has no effect on that Organization. Unique
Organization memberhsip is defined by the rules defining the Unique
Organizations in question. If membership is not defined for a specific
Unique Organization, then it has no members. 
"

III.Ammend R411 "Senate" by replacing the string "an Institution" with the
string "a Unique Organization" 

IV. Ammend R1303 "Synod" by replacing the string "an Institution" with
the string "a Unique Organization" 

V. Ammend R1040 "Party Hall" by replacing the string "an Institution"
with the string "a Unique Organization" 

VI. Ammend R420.2 "Ackanomic History Guild" by replacing the string "an
Institution" with the string "a Unique Organization" 

- ------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 19:45:56 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2354

I oppose this. The rule is designed to be self regulating to a degree, and
a clogged board should be harder to Place pieces on.
This amendment encourages a Placement arms-race to intentionally clog the
board, a situation in which the self regulation breaks down, and all
Swingers, not just new ones, can just fill up the board as they please.

Not only does this amendent break the self regulation of the Party Board -
it is inconsistent with its own intention.

Niccolo Flychuck
Party Chess Expert

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Brian Raiter wrote:

> Proposal 2354
> Specific Party Gravity Specifics
> Slakko (Duncan Richer)
> 
> Amend Rule 1230.2 Clause 6C to read as delinated by double quote marks:
> 
> "Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
> unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
> such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless it is
> impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one other
> piece".
> 
> Note - this is designed to ensure that a clogged board never stops a New
> Swinger from getting going.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 19:34:33 +0000 ()
From: Duncan Richer <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2354

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> 
> I oppose this. The rule is designed to be self regulating to a degree, and
> a clogged board should be harder to Place pieces on.
> This amendment encourages a Placement arms-race to intentionally clog the
> board, a situation in which the self regulation breaks down, and all
> Swingers, not just new ones, can just fill up the board as they please.
> 
> Not only does this amendent break the self regulation of the Party Board -
> it is inconsistent with its own intention.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> Party Chess Expert

Yes, but have you considered the possibility of just two or three players
getting enough on-board pieces to control the board, and thereby prevent
any other players having an influence on the game.  This proposal will
only have any effect in such circumstances.

Yours,
Slakko
- --
Duncan C. Richer -- aka Slakko the Lost Warner Brother -- Now Really Lost!
Queens' College  -- PhD, Pure Maths, Graph Theory --  Cambridge University
"Equipment malfunction." "Well, whack it." -- Obscure P&TB Quote
CUSFS, CUSTS, CURS, CUANZSS, Archimedeans, CUDipSoc, how do I study?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:56:38 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal 2354

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Duncan Richer wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > I oppose this. The rule is designed to be self regulating to a degree, and
> > a clogged board should be harder to Place pieces on.
> > This amendment encourages a Placement arms-race to intentionally clog the
> > board, a situation in which the self regulation breaks down, and all
> > Swingers, not just new ones, can just fill up the board as they please.
> > 
> > Not only does this amendent break the self regulation of the Party Board -
> > it is inconsistent with its own intention.
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> > Party Chess Expert
> 
> Yes, but have you considered the possibility of just two or three players
> getting enough on-board pieces to control the board, and thereby prevent
> any other players having an influence on the game.  This proposal will
> only have any effect in such circumstances.
> 

Yes, I considered it. But you did not address my second objection. Your
amendment would give those 'two or three Swinger' the ability to put even
more pieces on the board once they've clogged it up, so to speak. 
A clogged up board is already unplayable, and this amendment would be
detrimental to the game.
If you had proposed something more in line with the intent, such as
allowing only Swingers with no on-board pieces the exception to the
placement rule, that would be something to consider.
As this proposal stands, I'd have to vote against it.

Niccolo Flychuck

> Yours,
> Slakko

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:28:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2356

Proposal 2356
Second Swing Suite Shot
Slakko (Duncan Richer)

Amend Rule 1230.2 Clause 6C to read as delinated by double quote marks:

"Placement - The Swinger places one of eir off-board pieces on an
unoccupied square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in
such a position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces, unless it is
impossible to place the piece without it attacking at least one other
piece, and the Swinger involved has fewer than five on-board pieces and
a weight of 0".

Note - this is designed to ensure that a clogged board never stops a New
Swinger from getting going.

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #192
*********************************