Subject: acka-voting-digest V2 #165
From: [email-masked] (acka-voting-digest)
To: [email-masked]

acka-voting-digest     Tuesday, September 30 1997     Volume 02 : Number 165

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 06:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2314

Proposal 2314
It Happened; Time to Move on (aka The New Age Heresy (aka First Strike))
breadbox (Brian Raiter)

I.    Append the following paragraph of Rule 1319, "Round Earth
      Restoration Society":

The Round Earth Restoration Society hereby donates the money it has
raised back to the Treasury. [Having spent it all on fabulously
complex equipment, that's where the money ought to be by now.] Once
this is done, this rule shall repeal itself.

II.   Repeal Rule 2290, "Flat Earth Preservation Society".

III.  In Rule 1307, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", replace all occurences of
      the word "flat" with "hemispherical".

IV.   In Rule 1307, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", insert "or flat," after
      the one occurrence of the word "round".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 06:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposal 2315

Proposal 2315
Not on OUR planet, you don't!
Red Barn (Dan Knapp)

{{ Perform the following actions in the order this proposal lists them:

1.  Rename rule 2290 to "Flat Earth Restoration Society".

2.  Simultaneously, rename the Flat Earth Preservation Society to the Flat
Earth Restoration Society, rename the term Chairman of the Flat Earth
Preservation Society to Chairman of the Flat Earth Restoration Society
[as opposed to the person], and replace all occurrences in Rule 2290 of the
phrase "Flat Earth Preservation Society" with the phrase "Flat Earth
Restoration Society". 

2.  Prepend an additional paragraph to the text of rule 2290, with the text
(delimited by 'SNARK'):
SNARK
  At some time in the recent past, the Earth was indeed flat, and through a
great cataclysm (Vulcan's Ascendancy), it became hemispherical when one
massive roughly hemispherical chunk was attatched to it, on the north.  Like
all things done by evil dictators, this is a bad thing.  Contradiction of this
fact is heresy.
SNARK

3.  Simultaneously, replace the last sentence of the first paragraph of the
text of rule 1307 ("Contradiction of this fact is Heresy.") with
"Contradiction of this fact, or publicly referring to the Earth being round,
is Heresy." and replace the text "publicly refers to the Earth being round" in
the first sentence of the second paragraph of rule 1307 with the text "commits
Heresy".  [I kept the bugs in R1307, such as permitting quoted text to count,
because that's a task for a seperate proposal.]

4.  Replace the second sentence of the second paragraph of Rule 2290 ("Its
goal to prevent the Round Earth Restoration Society from restoring a round
shape to the Earth by building enormous scissor-like machines to cut the
tethers of the Earth's two dangling fragments.") with the text "Its goal is to
undo the damage caused by the Round Earth Restoration Society, and restore a
flat shape to the Earth, by building an enormous toothpick-like machine to pry
loose the Earth's reattatched fragment." 

5.  Insert a paragraph break immediately before the first sentence in rule
2290 which begins with the text "Once the Flat Earth Restoration Society". 

6.  Replace the text of the first paragraph in rule 2290 which begins with the
text "Once the Flat Earth Restoration Society" (original below, delimited by
'BOOJUM'), with the following text (delimited by 'BELLMAN'). 

BOOJUM
  Once the Flat Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large
machine shall be built, and the southern fragment severed from the
earth, and causing the text in R1319 which reads "Once an additional
15,000 A$ has been raised, the southern fragment will be likewise
joined, restoring a spherical shape to the Earth" to be removed. Once
an additional 15,000 A$ has been raised, the southern fragment will be
likewise severed, maintaining a flat shape to the Earth. When that
happens, the text reading "Once the Round Earth Restoration Society
has raised 15,000 A$, a large machine shall be built, and the northern
fragment joined to the earth, giving it a roughly hemispherical
shape." shall be removed from R1319.
BOOJUM

BELLMAN
  Once the Flat Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large
machine shall be built, and the northern fragment loosed from the Earth,
giving it (the Earth) a perfectly flat shape.
  When this happens, it will resume dangling on its tether.  Also when this
happens, the text in Rule 1319 which below is delimited by 'BOWSPRIT' is
replaced with the text which below is delimited by 'RUDDER'.
  {{[I note that the Round Earth Restoration Society has not been updated,
and with the passage of this proposal and the occurrence of these events,
its text will actually be CORRECT!  But it's simpler to modify it as a
chunk than bit-by-bit.]}}

BOWSPRIT
  Once the Round Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$, a large
machine shall be built, and the northern fragment joined to the earth,
giving it a roughly hemispherical shape.
BOWSPRIT

RUDDER
  Once the Round Earth Restoration Society has raised 15,000 A$ and the
Flat Earth Restoration Society has pried the northern fragment loose from
the Earth, a large machine shall be built, and the northern fragment
joined to the Earth, giving it a roughly hemispherical shape.
RUDDER
BELLMAN

7.  After the sentence in Rule 1319 with the text "If the earth
should become hemispherical, saying such is not Heresy, and this takes
precedence over Rule 1307.", insert a sentence with the text "However, it
is Very Bad Manners, and players who have donated to the Round Earth
Restoration Society are permitted to sneer."
}}

------------------------------

End of acka-voting-digest V2 #165
*********************************